FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Choosing a Penhold Blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing a Penhold Blade
    Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:55am
Galaxy T-11 looks good, but is a tad thick for me.
Ma Lin Extra Offensive looks like THE blade, but is expensive.

Is there any blade out there which is light , offensive and cheap?
I am what I am Becoming.
Sponsored Links

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:02am
Try the Yinhe MC-2, or one of the DHS blades like PG2/3, PG8, etc.

You want to get one speed slower than the equivalent shakehand blade. Your fingers supporting the back of the blade in penhold makes it stiffer and therefore faster.

Avoid carbon blades for penhold. They have very little feel and are too fast.

Super light blades < 70g feel hollow and the response is not linear. It takes some getting used to.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:21am
Just to add, i play RPB. I do not want the blade to be too thick, i loved Galaxy T-11, but the thickness put me off.

Also any suggested rubbers? I am using Aurus Soft (FH) and Aurus(BH). Aurus in BH is working very good and i like the control during RPB. Not extremely satisfied with Aurus Soft (FH) and am thinking of DHS Hurricane Neo 3.

Want something which has AMAZING spin and loops nice.
I am what I am Becoming.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:30am
The choice for penhold rubbers would be the same as the choice for shakehand rubbers. I like Tenergy 05 for forehand and Tenergy 64 for backhand. These are simply the best rubbers. H3 is also very good, absolutely superb when tuned. When not tuned, the medium gear is too slow.

The Yinhe MC-2 is only 5.75mm. If you want really thin, the Nittaku Violin is only 5.3mm.
I've found that 6.3mm is the maximum that I feel comfortable with.

Edited by cotdt - 05/30/2012 at 2:32am
Nittaku Resound
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:52am
PG3 would probably work for you. I have equipped it with Apollo II 36 and Xiom Vega Aisa 2.0. There is another HK replica made by Mr.Big of China which is great for topspin and looping. MC-2 has great feel and catapult. YEO is only 30 euro - if this is expensive, I don't know what would you say of TB ZLC or Jun Mizutani...
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:56am
But is YEO "really" worth the dough ?
I am what I am Becoming.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 3:02am
Originally posted by blizzardz blizzardz wrote:

But is YEO "really" worth the dough ?

Like Imago says, the YEO is not expensive. There are cheaper alternatives that play just as well, though, like the other mentioned blades.

Ma Lin used the YEO to win the last Olympics. Though the weights range from 72g to 90g, and the thickness ranges from 5.8mm to 6.2mm, so you can have two YEO's that play very differently, and feel very differently from each other. You would have to pick one that you think you would like.
Nittaku Resound
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 3:04am
YEO is absolutely not 70% worse than TB ALC
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 6:46am
Originally posted by blizzardz blizzardz wrote:

Galaxy T-11 looks good, but is a tad thick for me.
Ma Lin Extra Offensive looks like THE blade, but is expensive.

Is there any blade out there which is light , offensive and cheap?

Palio blades are not bad, try to find these model and these blades are relatively cheap:
C86, C87, B7, C3 and V1.
stefashka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 7:27am
Tibhar Illusion Killer is light, offensive and only $30 at presports. Excellent blade with many abilities.
Darker 7P-2A CP - Dignics 09c, TSP Curl P3α
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 10:32am
cheapest MEO out there i think  http://www.tabletennis11.com/eur_eng/tt-blade-yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive-pen

you have to be careful with the pg blades i have pg2 and the top ply started comming off as well as the second play
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 12:39pm
I have a Galaxy t-11 cs, and it weighs 56g.  It's a solid blade that's actually not as fast as advertised.  The downsides to it are that it is super thick and it's ungodly noisy.  The first time I played with it, someone called it a 'Fischer-Price' brand paddle because of the sound.
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 4:26am
@jinlai : But many of these are carbon blades, and i see that not many penholders(who play RPB too) prefer carbon blades. Any comments?
I am what I am Becoming.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 4:52am
carbon blades feel terrible with penhold. you lose all feel.
Nittaku Resound
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 4:57am
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

cheapest MEO out there i think  http://www.tabletennis11.com/eur_eng/tt-blade-yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive-pen

you have to be careful with the pg blades i have pg2 and the top ply started comming off as well as the second play

which version is that at tt11?
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 5:05am
I am still searching for something that equals YEO....sigh!

How are butterfly blades?
I am what I am Becoming.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 6:36am
its the non JJTA version hence why its cheaper.

you could also get a Galaxy W6 which peopel say is similar to MEO or was it the Original

blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 7:15am
Which 'Original' ..Couldnt spot it.
W6 looks nice -- will wait for more reviews.
I am what I am Becoming.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 7:27am
sorry Yasaka offensive instead of Original :P.

ive onyl had a brief hit with W6 and MEO they feel similar kinda bouncy. W6 might be a tad slower

blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 7:42am
Have been researching for the past few hours, looks like W-6 it is! Much cheaper that YEO for the same characteristics.

Now the rubber(s) for this blade? :D :D
I am what I am Becoming.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 8:02am
well the only rubbers i tried on it were Red Diamond ( old version) and Stiga Magna( old sheet)

so, up to you really.

RD had lots of control and decent speed. on the blade though easy to use

jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 8:19am
@jinlai: I had a friend who play C86 and the feel is just near to wood and the blade is made of soft light carbon. The setup is Palio Marco Era 4.75 degree max black FH and red 42.7 degree max for BH.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:32am
Hello and welcome to the forums!

The best advice I can give you is to make sure that you are posting all Equipment related topics in the Equipment sub-Forum (and not the General Forum, which is reserved for TT topics that don't fit the other sub-Forums).

Moved there as a one time courtesy!
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I guess I must be lucky then.
I have more control with Ma Lin Carbon, than YE
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 4:17am
Does anyone know the thickness of galaxy W-6?
I am what I am Becoming.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 4:25am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I guess I must be lucky then.
I have more control with Ma Lin Carbon, than YE

YMLC is a very pleasant exception to the rule, mainly because of its 5.3 mm thickness and big head which together provide excellent flex and vibrant power shots.

P.S. This however is true only of the original Swedish YMLC. The YMLC sold on Taobao is thicker, faster, and no flex at all.

Edited by Imago - 06/06/2012 at 4:27am
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 4:30am
My Ma Lin Carbon penhold was 100g and had no feel. I didn't know 5.3mm blades could even weigh so much, or how such a thin blade not flex. It was stiff. It felt terrible. The Ma Lin Extra Offensive is a much better blade.

Edited by cotdt - 06/06/2012 at 4:31am
Nittaku Resound
nikk64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikk64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 12:28pm
    YMLMaxC is 96g, has a very good feeling, more power than YEO
well be combined with hard tensor-J Rizm, Nittaco NH, DHS rubbers-H3, TG2, H2. Average distance-aggressive play with a lot of control.
   W6 / my girlfriend/-5.8-flex and very light.
I hope you understand!Wink
Butterfly Boll Tricarbon off , FH- Armstrong Attack 8 PZC-SP EX-X- 4.0 , RPB-Butterfly Tenergy 80-FX- max
video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vx5
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by nikk64 nikk64 wrote:

W6 / my girlfriend/-5.8-flex and very light.
I hope you understand!Wink

Rest assured that we all envy you.  Dead Embarrassed
blizzardz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blizzardz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 4:01am
Just ordered Galaxy W-6 with Hurricane 3(Provincial)[FH] and LKT Pro XP Gold Dragon[BH]. Lets see how the game improves ;)
I am what I am Becoming.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic