FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Drills/Exercises to do with chopping opponent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drills/Exercises to do with chopping opponent
    Posted: 02/11/2012 at 12:59pm
I want to start training with a generic modern defender and am not too sure on exercises that will be most beneficial to my game, specifically against a defender. I'm not too worried about exercises that are beneficial for him as training is generally 10mins for each persons exercise. Any suggestions are welcome 
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 1:59pm
???   What happened to the blue whale?
I have seen you play with Boz.  I thought you are pretty good and are way past this.  You are more than fast enough to get into position for the next loop.

I practice with a looper and we spend time chopping for each other.  We get started by chopping to the loopers FH, then to the BH and then both.   At anytime the chopper can hit a loop a ball back if the looper doesn't hit the ball fast and low enough.  It keeps the looper honest.

One thing we do practice is looping in the corners and then doing the super spinny and slow loop at an gle of the side off the table that hits the table and doesn't bounce hit but drops low of the bounce.  The chopper must run up to get these and usually he is hitting these balls up from just off the floor.  These  returns can then be hit hard.  If the chopper doesn't get back you have a winner.

What I find interesting is your setup,  a TBS with Dr Evil.  That is an awfully fast setup.  You can't really loop Dr Evil  but it is easy to return chopped balls with Dr Evil.  High balls you can just hit.  The slower and spinny one you have to hit the ball with an almost straight up motion with your paddle at an neutral angle.  You will find that as you keep returning chops the spin will build up and the ball will drop like a loop but it is mostly from the chopper's spin.  The problem I have had is that when returning chopped balls with Dr Evil is that I am dependent on the chopper back spin to be my top spin.  If there isn't much back spin on the ball I must be careful not to hit the ball to hard because the ball will not drop.  This will be a problem with your fast paddle.

I don't know how you will be able to hit slow spinny loops with your paddle.  Even dinks will be difficult because the ball will bounce of your paddle too fast.  I play hard bat and the paddles are slow enough where a lot of pace can be taken out of the ball.  I don't see where you will have that option.

10 minutes is hardly enough time.   We do drills then at the end we play like we are playing for points where we use what we practiced.

Let us know the TBS+2xDr Evil turns out.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 2:36am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

???   What happened to the blue whale?
I have seen you play with Boz.  I thought you are pretty good and are way past this.  You are more than fast enough to get into position for the next loop.

I practice with a looper and we spend time chopping for each other.  We get started by chopping to the loopers FH, then to the BH and then both.   At anytime the chopper can hit a loop a ball back if the looper doesn't hit the ball fast and low enough.  It keeps the looper honest.

One thing we do practice is looping in the corners and then doing the super spinny and slow loop at an gle of the side off the table that hits the table and doesn't bounce hit but drops low of the bounce.  The chopper must run up to get these and usually he is hitting these balls up from just off the floor.  These  returns can then be hit hard.  If the chopper doesn't get back you have a winner.

What I find interesting is your setup,  a TBS with Dr Evil.  That is an awfully fast setup.  You can't really loop Dr Evil  but it is easy to return chopped balls with Dr Evil.  High balls you can just hit.  The slower and spinny one you have to hit the ball with an almost straight up motion with your paddle at an neutral angle.  You will find that as you keep returning chops the spin will build up and the ball will drop like a loop but it is mostly from the chopper's spin.  The problem I have had is that when returning chopped balls with Dr Evil is that I am dependent on the chopper back spin to be my top spin.  If there isn't much back spin on the ball I must be careful not to hit the ball to hard because the ball will not drop.  This will be a problem with your fast paddle.

I don't know how you will be able to hit slow spinny loops with your paddle.  Even dinks will be difficult because the ball will bounce of your paddle too fast.  I play hard bat and the paddles are slow enough where a lot of pace can be taken out of the ball.  I don't see where you will have that option.

10 minutes is hardly enough time.   We do drills then at the end we play like we are playing for points where we use what we practiced.

Let us know the TBS+2xDr Evil turns out.

That isn't actually my setup, i play with skyline3/t64 on a clipper cr. Thank you for your reply. I don't have a problem with choppers at all, i just enjoy playing against them and want to know some specific drills (preferably quite advanced) that i can do. Btw it was 10mins for each persons exercise and swap over for about 90-120mins.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 4:38am
An advanced technique to practice against a chopper is learning to manipulate returns through spin variance. Practice looping with lots of side spin against inverted forehand chops and practicing low spin loop returns vs high spin loop returns against LP backhand chopping. These drills are not easy and do not lend to consistent rallies but are advanced ways of using a chopper's style against themselves. Work to make the 1st drill make the chopper miss the table via the side spin and work in the second drill to make each return look the same.

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2012 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

An advanced technique to practice against a chopper is learning to manipulate returns through spin variance. Practice looping with lots of side spin against inverted forehand chops and practicing low spin loop returns vs high spin loop returns against LP backhand chopping. These drills are not easy and do not lend to consistent rallies but are advanced ways of using a chopper's style against themselves. Work to make the 1st drill make the chopper miss the table via the side spin and work in the second drill to make each return look the same.

thanks. I'll try that, i've done the sidespin looping thing before, good fun.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic