Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Effects of Ecolo Expander II (w/ pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effects of Ecolo Expander II (w/ pics)
    Posted: 04/23/2007 at 4:08pm
Thought some people might be interested in what EEII does to a rubber. The rubber I used was DHS Skyline 3.

Right after application of first layer

8 hours later

24 hours later

24 hours after application of second layer of EEII

24 hours after application of third layer

Different view

Right now I'm working on a sheet of Sriver FX, but it's got no protective layer so I got some of the EEII on my topsheet and the topsheet started melting. Hopefully it'll return to normal if I just let it sit for a few days...

After playing around with this stuff, it does seem a lot like baby oil as people have mentioned before. Anyone out there who has tried baby oil on their rubbers?

Sponsored Links

phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2007 at 5:52pm
nice sets of photos.. sort of like a great scientist.. before and after pictures..

are you sure you are not an engineer?... what is your ISO number on this process... LOL..

anyways.. i have to try the baby oil thing on a junk sheet of rubber first.. i have to get the glue removed then try it..
-

i have also read that some people are trying it though i don't know the results..

nice work.. let us know how it played.. and how long it lasts..

thanks..

phamster
loopdaddy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:36am
Great pics rpber. I also put some EEII on a couple sheets last night but have yet to get any results. I guess it's important to give it time to react and not be in a rush. That seems to be my problem-- I'm impatient waiting for the expansion. I have 2 coats on and should see some doming tonight, 24 hours after the second application.
More spin less talk.
*Galaxy W1       
*H2
*Sriver EL

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:42am
After such a dome,I am curious how are you going to make it stay on the blade.I had serious problems even with  smaller dome
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

After such a dome,I am corious how are you going to make it stay on the blade.I had serious problems with even smaller dome

i don't think the dome is that huge if you pull the plastic protect sheet off the surface..

that holds the rubber from stretching.. so less dome..

but rubber cement will hold it down.. and maybe not.. LOL

phamster
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

After such a dome,I am corious how are you going to make it stay on the blade.I had serious problems with even smaller dome

I use Yasaka Clicky Press to keep EE2 treated rubbers stay on the blade.
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 11:35pm
Hm... what I once thought was a very nice dome is looking very puny after seeing GenomicsKnight's pics in the other EEII topic. I haven't glued the rubber yet, still debating whether or not to do another layer of EEII. What do you guys think? I'm used to using pretty well glued H3, not sure how that translates to number of layers of EEII on Skyline 3 though. The rubber's going to go on a pretty soft blade(Yasaka GE) anyway so... another layer should be fine right?
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2007 at 11:49pm
the dome looks good.If you are use to a more doming effect from your speed glue then i would try another layer.Has it stopped doming from the first coat?I have heard some people say that stuff can take up to 48 hrs.
Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2007 at 1:27am
Originally posted by rpber rpber wrote:

Hm... what I once thought was a very nice dome is looking very puny after seeing GenomicsKnight's pics in the other EEII topic. I haven't glued the rubber yet, still debating whether or not to do another layer of EEII. What do you guys think? I'm used to using pretty well glued H3, not sure how that translates to number of layers of EEII on Skyline 3 though. The rubber's going to go on a pretty soft blade(Yasaka GE) anyway so... another layer should be fine right?

I ended up putting 4+ layers of EE2 on H3, Skyline 3, and Skyline 2.  The first 2 layers are really thick/wet coat.  The next 2 layers are medium to thin coat.  The last layer was so thin that it was intended as a touch-up coat only.  So I didn't count it as a real complete layer.

You probably have already noticed that it becomes quite difficult to apply new coats on as the rubber starta to curl.  To remedy this problem I put two rubbers back-to-back (sponge against sponge) and put some heavy object on top to keep them down while waiting for EE2 to dry up.

Skyline 3 and H3 stayed on my GE 3D fine, but I did have to get some glue build-up (2 even coats of regular glue should be fine) on the sponge in order to get them to stay on the blade.
trankev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trankev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2007 at 2:14am
you're not suppose to put 2 or 3 layers of EE. This is how it works. I got this instruction from a professionaland i found out it work really well. I did have same problem like that with my Yasaka Extend and Sriver FX. With that experience, I do not face with such problem.
First, EE is very effective and good as long as you apply it right and correct. I do not think it works for SOFT rubbers like Yasaka Extend or Sriver FX if you put a lot of layers. It works for such rubbers like Sriver EL, Bryce...very well. You actually only need to apply one layer. If your rubber is brand new, make sure you already applied and let it dry at least 3 layers of speed glue. After that, put a little of EE and use your finger tip of your index finger to spread EE out evenly on the sponge. If you need more EE then get little more at a time. Do not soak it with plenty of EE. Just enough to spread out evenly and cover all part. Let it dry for at least 48 hours. It must be 95% dry before you can apply 1 or 2 layers of speed glue again after 48 hours and glue to your blade.
tt12 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2007 at 3:23am
Hi, could you please tell me where I can order buy Ecolo Expander II in Canada or in the States (I am worrying about shipping) 
Adib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2007 at 4:50am
How do you compare to TSP Noriko Clean with EEII
Blade:Nittaku Rorin 9mm,Xiom RSM Gold,TSP YAMATO-K 10.5mm
Rubber:Black 38 degree Hurricane 3 Provincial
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2007 at 9:19am
Originally posted by tt12 tt12 wrote:

Hi, could you please tell me where I can order buy Ecolo Expander II in Canada or in the States (I am worrying about shipping) 

You can buy it from PaddlePalace and I believe they can ship to Canada.  EE2 is nonflammable, so it's safe to ship it by any means.
Madbrazilian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madbrazilian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by trankev trankev wrote:

you're not suppose to put 2 or 3 layers of EE. This is how it works. I got this instruction from a professionaland i found out it work really well. I did have same problem like that with my Yasaka Extend and Sriver FX. With that experience, I do not face with such problem.
First, EE is very effective and good as long as you apply it right and correct. I do not think it works for SOFT rubbers like Yasaka Extend or Sriver FX if you put a lot of layers. It works for such rubbers like Sriver EL, Bryce...very well. You actually only need to apply one layer. If your rubber is brand new, make sure you already applied and let it dry at least 3 layers of speed glue. After that, put a little of EE and use your finger tip of your index finger to spread EE out evenly on the sponge. If you need more EE then get little more at a time. Do not soak it with plenty of EE. Just enough to spread out evenly and cover all part. Let it dry for at least 48 hours. It must be 95% dry before you can apply 1 or 2 layers of speed glue again after 48 hours and glue to your blade.

That's interesting, I would think that putting some glue on the rubber before you apply EEII would lessen the effect. Does this method create a better effect?
Killerspin Diamond TX ST
Killerspin Forza 4z 2.1 both sides
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2007 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by trankev trankev wrote:

The instructions on the bottle clearly state that if the doming effect is not sufficient, repeat the coating process (ie, put on more layers of EE2).
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2007 at 12:27am
lol, just dont follow trankev's instructions, no offense, but thats pretty much opposite to everything =P

Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2007 at 11:16pm
Just used the rubbers on Thursday night. Forehand Skyline 3 (4 layers EEII) and backhand Sriver FX(3 layers) on Penhold Yasaka GE. Skyline was ridiculously fast, a bit hard to handle. It didn't really feel like speed glued rubber though, the additional speed and sound were there but the ball didn't seem to sink into the sponge as much as it would for speed glued H3. Sriver FX was hard to differentiate from a speed glued version of itself though.  
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 9:16am
This is great to know about Sriver FX.  One reason the Skyline might have felt different is EE2 doesn't _soften_ the sponge, just expands it; in contrast, speed glue will soften the sponge significantly.  Using EE2 on sponges that are soft to begin with is said to more closely approximate the speed glue effect.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

This is great to know about Sriver FX.  One reason the Skyline might have felt different is EE2 doesn't _soften_ the sponge, just expands it; in contrast, speed glue will soften the sponge significantly.  Using EE2 on sponges that are soft to begin with is said to more closely approximate the speed glue effect.

Completely aligned with my empirical findings so far.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 5:42pm
Yes I could not agree more!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 7:22pm
Is there something other than speed glue that would soften the sponge then?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 8:09pm
Get a rubber with a softer sponge...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 8:26pm
i'm assuming if you love sriver el w/ glue, then it'll be safe to use fx with eeII? i'm gonna stop gluing after nationals... maybe i'll get some fx
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2007 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Get a rubber with a softer sponge...

Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

i'm assuming if you love sriver el w/ glue, then it'll be safe to use fx with eeII? i'm gonna stop gluing after nationals... maybe i'll get some fx

That would be my next experiment.  If you guys get to try it out first, please share your findings.  So far I think we are postulating that applying EE2 on soft sponge rubber sheet should have the similar effect as if the speed glue were applied instead.
NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2007 at 12:57pm
is this available in Canada?
Skippy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2007 at 4:23pm
Paddle Palace has it.
Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Andro Hexer Max
BH: Xiom Euro Vega Max
phamster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phamster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2007 at 9:10pm
here is my massive dome on some speedy spin rubber...any my markV...

3 coats applied in 4 days.. took my time..

and the racket clamp needed to glue this massive dome down...LOL

all and all one bottle of this EEII will last you about 3-5 years !!!

30-40 percent gain in speed and spin..

ok i guess.. really not a speed glue replacement..

phamster

NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 2:41pm
Does this need to be applied to new rubbers only?

Or, can it be applied to rubbers that have been speed glue'd?
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2007 at 2:53pm
It is best used on new rubbers or rubbers which have just had the glue peeled off. If you put it on top of some glue it still works but it takes more layers to get a good dome and the glue turns into a horrible sticky mess.
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2007 at 8:01am
How is the actual effect? It's OK that it domes, but what is the result?

How much increase in spin?
How much increase in speed?

How is the feeling?

thx.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic