Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FH no good, maybe should call it quits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FH no good, maybe should call it quits
    Posted: 02/26/2013 at 9:23am
Maybe it's just time to move onto something else. I used to be heavily involved in the martial arts but stopped working out many years ago. Maybe it's time to get back into that, or back with my piano playing.
Anyway, my FH technique is so frustrating I feel like giving up. I have a very bad habit of closing my angle on the backswing then opening it up again just before I contact the ball. WTH is up with that! I also use way too much wrist. Don't know where I picked up this bad habit, but can't seem to get rid of it.  I keep switching my grip a little between FH and BH that I end up holding the racket too loosely. All of these things add up to a lot of frustration on my part. Maybe I should take some lessons, hit with the robot everyday for a while, or just walk away from this sport for some time off. Is it possible to lose a bad habit on your stroke or am I just stuck with it?
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 9:33am
if you train yes. if you rotate your wrist, maybe its your timing that you need to work with. if you hit the ball too early sometimes you can have a tendency to open your racket angle.. why not cross train with martial arts? i usedto do escrima and muay thai in college i think it gave me a very good and strong wrist
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 9:36am
Absolutely possible to break a bad habit like that. I had a similar FH issue myself - my stroke was very up-ish, and I had bat angle problems like yours. My BH was strong to compensate, but I had to pick my FH shots very carefully in a match.

First up, I watched a lot of videos for some examples of the raw mechanics of the FH stroke.

Then I had some proper coaching sessions. At my club, I enjoy practice matches too much, and don't concentrate enough on drills. The coach corrected the major problems. Felt very uncomfortable at first, but after 3-4 sessions things improved a lot.

Finally, I got a robot. They're not for everyone, but I used it to concentrate on some basic drills. I recorded some footage to make sure I wasn't slipping back into old habits. Each drill session I focussed on one single thing - bat angle one day, twisting at the waist the next, footwork, etc. Ideally I'd do all that with a coach, but you can't get a coach every day of the week and the robot is always there.

The result of that is more of a reliable mechanical FH shot. I still brush a bit too much, and I wish I would drive more consistently, but it's so much better now that I don't mind. I used to be scared of loop-loop rallies on the FH side and just block everything until a low-spin ball came back to me. Now I can counter close to the table, and loop a heavy topspin ball from mid-distance. That will sound like childsplay to some members here, but my weird FH habits were preventing me from doing this.

So yeah, you can sort it out! It just takes time and a planned approach to it. I remember the frustration with this, but I'm so happy to have sorted the majority of it out.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
hexiadetrix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hexiadetrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 9:37am
Actually, it's quite normal for you to tweak your grip when turning from bh to fh or vice versa.  As for closing your angle and using to much wrist it sounds like you know what your faults are although I can't really picture it myself. Anyway, for bettering your technique, the question that should be asked is do you practice enough without play.  Do you for example just play games or do you go through routines when you practice?  It's very hard to change ones flaws by just playing games, or even playing games inbetween practice sessions.  Focus on your weakness, practice until you're satisfied - maybe five sessions or so - then play games and see how it works out for you.
---

TB ALC

Red - Dignics

Black - T05
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 9:49am
If your fh swing "can't" be retrained, that particular face angle is perfect for pips out, have you considered that? if you go that route, you'll have to work on accuracy and pace for hitting somewhat flat.

if you're one of those "perfectionist", you'll never be happy :)

*edit* just noted your raystorm...use that as your FH too if it's your BH right now.

Edited by The Shakehander - 02/26/2013 at 9:52am
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 10:02am
thanks to everyone for their replies. I will take a lesson from a local coach and then hit with the robot a little each day. I used to play with inverted on my FH for years but switched to short pips about 5 years ago. This helped me improve from 2100 - about 2200 as my FH was more stable. But for the last several months I tried MP on my FH and have found that it really screwed with my timing. I will try to post a short video clip one of these days.
Thanks
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 10:08am
If you get a lesson with a coach maybe you can tape it (and share here?). That way you'll have many similar sequences to analyse and separate the wheat from the chaff.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 10:18am
Dude you're 2100. There's no problem with your stroke.
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 10:35am
I find it's weird Confused that 2182 rated player is complaining/quitting.
There are many players would love to trade places with you.
BTW If one coach isn't working well/can't fix something then change coach or ask someone. 
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 10:48am
good idea fatt...I'll see if I can post a little bit of my lesson. There is a local 2200 Chinese coach that is a very good coach when it comes to strokes and footwork.
Ratings are all relative bogeyhunter. Actually this is a difficult rating to be stuck at. Many tournaments have events like U2100 or U2150 then it jumps up to U2300 or above, and it's pretty hard to win those events. It's also frustrating because I've gone 5 games with a few high 2300 players that last few tournaments, but would end up losing at 9 or 8 in the 5th due to my FH errors so it's just so frustrating.  
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 11:06am
Think of it this way ......
It's better to be in your situation than to be a 2182 in some states that you are the over 2000+ without anyone good enough to win a set from you. 

I think it's more fun to some somethings to work on and get better. 
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 11:09am
While you're at it with the robot, take it slowly and focus focus focus on the correct stroke each shot you make. Taking it slowly and focusing on small details each shot worked for me :)
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
flatstyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatstyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 11:23am
My first reaction was "I would die a happy old man to ever achieve 2182" and although that might be true, Bogeyhunter really added an important perspective:

"I think it's more fun to (have) some some things to work on and get better."

That, to me, is the real essence of why this is such a compelling addiction.   No matter your level, there is more to aspire to!
[SIZE]V-14 Pro C-pen

FH MX-P

BH Vega Europe/ Fastarc S1
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by flatstyk flatstyk wrote:

My first reaction was "I would die a happy old man to ever achieve 2182" and although that might be true, Bogeyhunter really added an important perspective:

"I think it's more fun to (have) some some things to work on and get better."

That, to me, is the real essence of why this is such a compelling addiction.   No matter your level, there is more to aspire to!

Agreed.  And in fact, it's the reason why I have never understood the obsession with rating points as something to be scared of losing.  I don't want to lose, period.  The points have little to do with it, and if a player beats me, she beat me and I have to figure out how to get better from it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 12:52pm
Dave,

I feel your pain ;)
Maybe to improve you have to dis-improve first. Let me explain.

I am switching from traditional to reverse penhold. And it's quite frustrating at times. Playing a higher level player, I instinctively react using my ingrained traditional stroke when under pressure. Against lower level players, I can use the reverse penhold comfortably.

At the moment, I play even with a higher level player (approx. 2400) when they spot me 3 points and I'm free to use either stroke on the backhand - which mostly means the traditional apart from an initial backhand topspin. But when I use only the reverse penhold, I lose comprehensively every time. But still, I have to suffer the disimprovement if I'm to properly develop the reverse penhold. To keep discipline, every time I instinctively react with the traditional backhand, I deduct a point.

So maybe you have to back off that 2182 for a while, then come again.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 1:31pm
wow...didn't know I would get so many replies. thanks everyone...lot of good input. Good luck with the RPB Sandiway, and thanks for the input.
Zhaoyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhaoyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 1:45pm
I'm an old-timer who recently corrected a fatal problem with my grip. I just had to "spend" some of my focus, "watching" my hand during play, because otherwise I would move it subconsciously.
After a while, the correction stuck.

Sounds like Dr. Strangelove, right? :-) That would make your avatar quite coincidental. :-) Don't be a Dr. Strangelove, AcudaDave! :-)
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 2:33pm
Maybe there is hope for me after all Zhaoyang. I think I need to practice more and play less games these days, then hopefully I can correct it.  I need to post before and after clips.  I also need to change my name from AcudaDave to Bluefire Dave or just SuperDave.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

wow...didn't know I would get so many replies. thanks everyone...lot of good input. Good luck with the RPB Sandiway, and thanks for the input.

You would have gotten many more if you weren't 2200 already.  Improving at my level is way easier.  I've spent the last few months totally rebuilding my forehand.  I think the principles of changing habits apply, but the big difference is that I suspect that your forehand is better than you give it credit for being and you probably think it is holding you back from getting better, hence your annoyance with it.

I think you should get a really experienced coach and strategist to analyze your game and think about what direction you should take it in if you are still serious about improving.  Your forehand might not be what is wrong with your game.  It might be something more subtle.

And I think Sandiway's comments are the most important - often, building a new weapon into your game requires you to lose rating points, but sometimes, we are too addicted to immediate results to wait for the long term change to set in.  That's why I think you should see a strategist first, so that the vision for your game is something you have settled before putting in the hard work for something that you may end up not liking (as it seems happened with medium pips).

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 2:41pm
This is why video and coaches come into play for improvement.
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

BTW If one coach isn't working well/can't fix something then change coach or ask someone. 

I know EXACTLY how he feels. 

When I was a serious golfer, I had a handicap that was in the 95th to 97th percentile range: around USGA 3 to 5, very close in a relative sense  to a USATT 2150 - 2300.  Yet my inability to become a USGA 0 handicap or better (roughly equivalent to USATT 2400+), along with a growing family, eventually drove me from the game in frustration. 

It was fun as I moved down (lower the better in golf) from 20-ish into the teens, then down into the coveted single digits, then into the near-elite lower single digits, exciting.  But then I ran up against the wall all players eventually hit, and I couldn't get better.  I became a cynical jerk, throwing clubs, making playing partners miserable.  People whom I could easily beat couldn't understand because they'd have given a digit off their little fingers to have a handicap like mine.  But I eventually quit and have only played once in the last 9 years.
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 2:54pm
Even in an under-2300 event, you should be the #2 or maybe #1 player in your RR group. What about those #3 and #4 players? Should they just quit because they won't ever win the whole thing?
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 3:16pm
wow...thanks for the story BizLaw. You definitely understand my frustration.  You get so close then hit a wall and it gets frustrating.
Chopchop...let me just say that yes I'm usually the #1 or #2 player in my RR group, but then after I advance I have to play some high 2200 players or if it's U2350 then I have to beat some low 2300 players and it's just kind of hard to get motivated if you don't think you have a chance against them. That being said I guess I should feel like I have a chance as I won a RR event a couple months ago by beating a 2250 player in the finals.  I'm just very frustrated with my FH technique and can't seem to rid myself of these bad habits.
As for changing to medium pips you're right NextLevel...you should definitely give it some thought before making a drastic change like that as it can alter your stroke/technique like it did mine.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 3:27pm

Ratings are all relative bogeyhunter. Actually this is a difficult rating to be stuck at. Many tournaments have events like U2100 or U2150 then it jumps up to U2300 or above, and it's pretty hard to win those events. It's also frustrating because I've gone 5 games with a few high 2300 players that last few tournaments, but would end up losing at 9 or 8 in the 5th due to my FH errors so it's just so frustrating.  

I'd have to disagree.  Of course, it's all "difficult" when it comes to rating events we belong in.  But IMO, the most difficult rating range is when a player is just above 2300.  Can't play the U2300 and they will usually get whupped in the Open event.  And unless it's a bigger tournament, there will usually not be an U2400 event.  It goes from U2300 to Open.  All credit to you for not trying to sandbag your way down to the U2150s Smile I've thought about this before and I do know some that do it but man, it just doesn't feel right. 

Regarding your FH, what is the bad habit, closing the blade on the backswing or opening on contact? With short pips on the FH, I imagine it has to be open most of the time.  I always tell guys with  shakehand FH short pips, the guy to study is Teng Yi.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by BizLawProf BizLawProf wrote:

Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

I know EXACTLY how he feels. 

When I was a serious golfer, I had a handicap that was in the 95th to 97th percentile range: around USGA 3 to 5, very close in a relative sense  to a USATT 2150 - 2300.  Yet my inability to become a USGA 0 handicap or better (roughly equivalent to USATT 2400+), along with a growing family, eventually drove me from the game in frustration. 

It was fun as I moved down (lower the better in golf) from 20-ish into the teens, then down into the coveted single digits, then into the near-elite lower single digits, exciting.  But then I ran up against the wall all players eventually hit, and I couldn't get better.  I became a cynical jerk, throwing clubs, making playing partners miserable.  People whom I could easily beat couldn't understand because they'd have given a digit off their little fingers to have a handicap like mine.  But I eventually quit and have only played once in the last 9 years.

That's a really interesting story Prof.  I do see juniors in the rating range of 2300-2400 (even some 2500+) and although most of them cite the need to start college as the reason for stopping, I also think that they believe that they have reached their peak rating.  I think they also don't see a point being 17 or 18 y/o to practice more full-time only to reach 50 more rating points or so if that.

By the way, I want to ask you since you've reached a high level in golf (I don't play).  At the USGA 3 to 5 handicap like you had, can one play golf for a living?
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 3:56pm

wow...thanks for the story BizLaw. You definitely understand my frustration.  You get so close then hit a wall and it gets frustrating.
Chopchop...let me just say that yes I'm usually the #1 or #2 player in my RR group, but then after I advance I have to play some high 2200 players or if it's U2350 then I have to beat some low 2300 players and it's just kind of hard to get motivated if you don't think you have a chance against them. That being said I guess I should feel like I have a chance as I won a RR event a couple months ago by beating a 2250 player in the finals.  I'm just very frustrated with my FH technique and can't seem to rid myself of these bad habits.
As for changing to medium pips you're right NextLevel...you should definitely give it some thought before making a drastic change like that as it can alter your stroke/technique like it did mine.

You use pips out on your fh like me... What you should do is to study some pendhold hitters like LGL, Chen Longcan, He Zhiwen etc.  Or shakehand fh pips out players like Li Jiawei and Miao Miao.  And get rid of your MP and use something like Clippa or Super SpinPips 21... With MP you rely heavily on smashing and blocking and can't create any arc on your shots with any topspin spin to bring it down.  This means when better players attack you heavily on your fh you are stuck on the table trying to out-counter them with a low-trajectory rubber, and that's hard to do.  Here's Miao Miao with Super SpinPips 21 on her fh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka5j9Qlk9NE

Edited by roundrobin - 02/26/2013 at 3:57pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 6:37pm
Well if your forehand is no good, then you must quit
done and dusted, kaput, finished, washed-up 

oh wait "eye of the tiger theme" you are being rebuilt better, stronger, faster
you write a book, a movie is made about you, you learn one handed piano and table tennis at the same time

or you can just hit the ball at the top of the bounce
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 7:43pm

Yep, in golf I was always championship flight in tournaments, always the top player in the foursome in tournaments (unless it was a pro-am, but on occasion I even beat the pro), but almost never, unless I got simply unconscious on the weekend and couldn't miss--and years would go by between these occurrences--the top dog in the whole tournament: 3 overall tournament wins and a bunch of 2nds to show for 15 years of competitive golf.

Among a group of average or moderately above-average golfers, I was revered (people would whisper sometimes when I walked into the clubhouse), among the really good golfers with whom I was invariably competing,  I was more-or-less considered a schmuck, the guy with the beautiful tempo who gagged too often at tournaments (the better golfers whispered and pointed at me also, but for VERY different reasons). 

It was more fun learning the game and knowing you were constantly improving than reaching (what you considered) a premature peak, 80% up the mountain, able to see the top, never able to get there.  THAT'S frustration.  So yes, I can relate NextLevel.  But I hope you can find the secret I never found, solve that FH, and become a 2400...but of course, trust me, you'll then only want to be a 2500, and so on... Confused
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 7:44pm
Perhaps this will work. Make changes in small increments. Against a robot, start with your racket near the contact point, establish a racket angle, and contact the ball with a mini swing. Do it until you don't have to think about it, then start with the racket a bit further back away from the contact point and contact the ball with a longer swing. Progressively shift the starting point further back until you reach the end of your normal backswing and execute full swings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

By the way, I want to ask you since you've reached a high level in golf (I don't play).  At the USGA 3 to 5 handicap like you had, can one play golf for a living?

At peak I could probably have passed the PGA Pro PAT (playing ability test).  At one time 20 years ago I thought about doing it.  Passing the PAT would've licensed me to be PGA professional, basically the equivalent of a club pro in table tennis, though since the US in golf is more like China in table tennis, there's more money to be made in it than in TT in the U.S. 

That said, it would have been a dead end living, most of the time selling clubs in the pro shop, giving lessons to little old ladies and portly executives who couldn't hit the ocean if you teed their ball up on the beach, being regarded as a very good golfer, but at the same time not really an equal among the corporate execs and businesspeople who make up the typical country club membership, regarded as something of an idiot savant. 

Pros at a local 9 hole dive make maybe $25K a year, pros at the ritzy country clubs make maybe 3X that, maybe the average is $40 or $50K. 

PLAYING for a living at my level? To make big money in golf, you need to be much better golfer than I was, you need to play on a tour and you need lots of money backing your endeavor at first.  Those guys even on the marginal lower tier tours are almost uniformly a minimum of 3 to 5 strokes better per round than I was.  Assuming I'd get lucky and shoot out of my mind to qualify for a pro tournament, I'd have been so far off the pace I wouldn't have made a cent.  You see these local yokels, maybe the pro at Ed's Driving Range, get hot and shoot a 68 in the qualifying round for a tour event on occasion, then they shoot 78 - 84 in the first 36 holes of the actual event and get laughed off the course.  That'd have been me.

Edited by BizLawProf - 02/26/2013 at 8:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic