Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Figuring out side top and side under spin serves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Figuring out side top and side under spin serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Figuring out side top and side under spin serves
    Posted: 01/29/2007 at 10:40am
Having trouble returning them.. I understand the physics of it but always not angling the bat enough. Either closing it too much on a side under or not enough on side top spin..

Any rule of thumb for tackling them.. knowing speeds?
Sponsored Links

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 2:27pm
As you say you know the physics i'll go straight to the key.
If your racket is motionless the incoming spin will kick to the max.

So make sure there is a smooth positive motion of the racket through the contact point with the ball. Your racket should maintain the same height above the table through the hitting the phase. Then the ball will tend to go more where you aim, as opposed to where the spin tries to take it.
aim against the sidespin which you deduce from opss arm movement

If you trawl through the posts for the last six months youll find more detailed stuff from me and others on the same theme outlining the correct angles etc.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 2:39pm
Sorry I was a bit lazy before:
I think this was my most comprehensive post on it
Hope it helps!:-
(Hookshot referred to below has also done some good stuff just search)

The thing is experienced players rely on instinct. That is they watch the serve and they just react based on the thousands of balls they returned in the past.
They ACQUIRED the instinct by applying the principle that hookshot described in practice.
In addition try to look at the bounce of the ball a topspin ball tends to leap forward while a backspin ball
tends to 'sit up' a bit Get your partner to serve simple backspin or topspin from behind a board and try to read it from the bounce after a onth or two you will build up your 'instinct'.
Another tip is to not worry about the sidespin as long as your serve return is smooth and positive THROUGH the ball tends to go where you hit it. But back spin and topspin are critical because you may go in the net or off the table.
rule is:
backspin and back/sidespin serve: push under or lift(topspin)
topspin serve:drive or smash or block over the ball
pure sidespin serve: treat as topspin that is go over the ball with attacking shot
short serve: use guided return with neutral vertical racket face looking to flick if you can.

Lastly think like an artillery man!
in the net? up abit on that serve next time
off the end down a bit.
you are building your INSTINCT
If table tennis was easy we would be doing something else!
you'll get there!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
mm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 2:58pm
THanks for the responses..
Attacking on side top spin...hmm thats what i have seen people doing. Let me try that out in the battlefield next time.. =))

wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 7:38pm
Also watch closely where the server is contacting the ball, if you touch the same spot on the ball it will kill the spin then you can put your own on the ball.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
mm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 10:23pm
You mean if I contact the ball exactly opposite or mirror image then i would kill the spin right.. ??

I think thats what you are trying to say?
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 10:36pm
if he touches the top, u touch the top, if he slice the bottom, u slice the bottom, if he chops the right side, u also chop the right side. Not mirror images, exactly where he touches it, you touch the same place.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
mm82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2007 at 11:48pm
Got it that makes sense...

If he chops to his right.. i chop to my right .. right?

pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2007 at 12:40am
If it's a pendulum serve (racket moves in U-shaped pendulum), then watch the contact point. When the pendulum is on the way up (late contact point) then it is topspin. If it's early, it should be underspin.
-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic