FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Meniscus tear and table tennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meniscus tear and table tennis
    Posted: 02/20/2024 at 3:30am
Has anyone experienced a meniscus tear during his 50s ?
My doctor says I'm too old for surgery and suggests :

PRP and  hyaluronic acid injections 
chondroitin sulfate capsules 
physiotherapies

Do you have any ideas ?

Edited by Stavros - 02/20/2024 at 3:30am
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

Slowhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2024 at 12:52pm
Find a new doctor.

"...successful repair was obtained up to age 70 years, and the failure rate in the oldest reported patients among studies with patients over age 60 years was 20%. The authors stated that age, as an independent factor, should not be considered a contraindication for meniscus repair." [Meniscal repair in patients age 40 years and older: A systematic review of 11 studies and 148 patients. Everhart JS, Higgins JD, Poland SG, Abouljoud MM, Flanigan DC. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2018.09.009. Knee. 2018;25:1142–1150.]."
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2024 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Has anyone experienced a meniscus tear during his 50s ?
My doctor says I'm too old for surgery and suggests :

PRP and  hyaluronic acid injections 
chondroitin sulfate capsules 
physiotherapies

Do you have any ideas ?
Yes, I had Synvisc injection on my torned right knee meniscus when I was in my mid 50s. This is similar to hylaluronic acid injection but modified chemically to increase molecular weight. I did this instead of orthovisc because it is less a painful injection. It worked great for 6 months then I had to take another injection. I did it for 5 times and miraculously no more pain after that. I am now over 75 and my knees feel great. Nowadays my arms and shoulders are the problems.

I am considering PRP on my shoulders because Synvisc is not for shoulders.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2024 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Slowhand Slowhand wrote:

Find a new doctor.

"...successful repair was obtained up to age 70 years, and the failure rate in the oldest reported patients among studies with patients over age 60 years was 20%. The authors stated that age, as an independent factor, should not be considered a contraindication for meniscus repair." [Meniscal repair in patients age 40 years and older: A systematic review of 11 studies and 148 patients. Everhart JS, Higgins JD, Poland SG, Abouljoud MM, Flanigan DC. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2018.09.009. Knee. 2018;25:1142–1150.]."

While I agree with second opinions. Surgery decisions are rarely made based on one variable like age. Conservative treatments are almost always preferred to prevent or delay surgery. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic