Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Tornado vintage rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Tornado vintage rubber
    Posted: 09/15/2008 at 5:09am
Well This rubber was perhaps the most famous rubber of the 70's and 80's especialy for brush loopers, So for the older guys, here's some memories :)

Still in excellent new condition, you don't want to know how tempting it is to use it (if it wasn't the 1mm version I probably would have :P)

Yasaka's old shool sponge, I would think the original Mark V's share the same sponge

Front Cover

The back cover (worth a read)

Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 5:11am
damn hot!
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 5:13am
"blow your soul into your table tennis rubber.."

wow!!!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

damn hot!

Yeah it was the sexy rubber of the 70s :p, the rule change to ban non black/red rubber really ruined things for alot of guys that were using this rubber. Yasaka re released it in Red and Black but it was never as good as the original, they seemed to have forgotten how to make it by then

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2008 at 5:16am
It was a bit of a show off rubber really, turning up with something like a Black Tackiness chop on the backhand and the big bling Yellow Tornado on the forehand, everyone knew you ment buisness and everyone knew how you played the game :)

TCHANTCHES_007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCHANTCHES_007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:30am
Hello,

If you always have your YASAKA TORNADO Orange, is it possible to buy it ?

Thanks

Tchantchès
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:35am
First good "Necro" of 2014  Wink  
LOL

Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCHANTCHES_007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:19am
Hello,

There are many people who preserve old things

That does not cost anything to require

Who does not test anything does not have anything !!!

Wink

Without resentment

Beer
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:36am
that rubber easily gets eroded after a month of heavy use hehehe 
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCHANTCHES_007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:52am
I have old Yasaka Tornado orange on a small racket
>>>
a reduced tamca of half

I have fun with this racket.  Party

The table tennis became expensive.

Speed always speed   Angry

I play with of ARMSTRONG VECTOR and BUTTERFLY REIN

I do not use artifices (glue - boost -)

The young players must change rubber every 3 months and I am nice
The prices of rubber are very (too much) high.

It is that a consumer society.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCHANTCHES_007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by TCHANTCHES_007 TCHANTCHES_007 wrote:

I have old Yasaka Tornado orange on a small racket
>>>
a reduced tamca of half

I have fun with this racket.  Party

The table tennis became expensive.

Speed always speed   Angry

I play with of ARMSTRONG VECTOR and BUTTERFLY REIN

I do not use artifices (glue - boost -)

The young players must change rubber every 3 months and I am nice
The prices of rubber are very (too much) high.

It is that a consumer society.

I play with old TAMCA 5000.et TAMCA 5000 SCORNA.

I search also TAMCA 5000 ALLURE and TAMCA 5000 OBERON
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:21pm
Speed glued Tornado max on a BTY Power Drive was it back in the day boys and girls. Plus the gold color was very kool.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Iskandar Taib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iskandar Taib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2015 at 9:53pm
So anyone have the packet of the original Yasaka (?) Black Power? I'd love to see it again - I only ever saw it in a store window. Talk about politically incorrect...

Iskandar

Edited by Iskandar Taib - 05/08/2015 at 9:53pm
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2015 at 8:48am
I loved tornado on my backhand. It was great for brush looping. It was never the same when they changed from gold to red or black though. It lost something. I did have a green sheet of tornado that was pretty good.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
MLMBuggy4 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLMBuggy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2022 at 9:50pm
I played with 1.5 Yasaka Tornado orange for maybe 15 years.  It hasn't been available in orange in over 30 years as far as I know because it was discontinued with the red/black color requirement.  I think there was some red and black for a short while if I remember but it didn't play the same.

Tornado was definitely slower than Mark V but as spinney if not a little more spinney. The magic of Tornado was that it gave you quite a bit more control than Mark V.  When I tried to switch after it was discontiued, I couldn't use Mark V with as little as I was playing in those latter years.  Just too fast.  I couldn't block with my backhand like with Tornado.  My thought at the time was that Mark V was a quality rubber that was almost useable for me on my forehand but definitely not on my backhand.  The ball would just leap off the paddle and was quite annoying. 

Another way of thinking of Tornado vs Mark V was that with Tornado you had to do more work to loop but the results were more consistent than Mark V and if I remember, you got more lift (i.e. higher off the table).  With Mark V the rubber did more work for you but you lost touch with your stroke because it did it too fast.  By the way, I was using a fairly slow blade too which no longer exists.  I am thinking of trying a Stiga Allaround but without the CR or any speed enhancements so I can keep the blade slower. 

Since I was only using 1.5, I didn't characterize my loops as "brush looping" (less sponge to hold onto the ball longer than 2.0) but I clearly was.  I was pretty strong and athletic back then so I think I appeared better than my 1850 rating (sometimes played closer to 1900-2000 at the clubs but never rated that high).

Does anyone have any suggestions about the equivalent rubber but updated to work with the new plastic balls.  I'm guessing it would have to be at least 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0 but until I start experimenting I won't know.  With the insane price of rubber these days, I can't afford to jump around.

Thanks

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic