Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avalox P500 vs Malin Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pejantan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pejantan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avalox P500 vs Malin Carbon
    Posted: 09/26/2008 at 2:37am
Guys, i planned to buy one more blade, please give me ur opinion bout Avalox P500 vs Ma lin Carbon/soft carbon in term of:

1. Stiffness/Flexibility
2. Control
3. Speed

Basically im a looper, my current rubber is almana soun (FH) and Sriver EL (BH)...all heavy glued, now i want to improve my playability focusing on close to table playing

thanx

Sponsored Links

BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2008 at 6:10am
P500 (koto spruce ayous)
ma lin soft carbon (angree limba soft carbon ayous)
ma lin carbon (limba 'some kind of softish wood' carbon ayous)

I am a penholder, so bear this in mind when you read the following.

P500 is the softest of the lot and definitely has more flex than the two yasakas that you mentioned.

(In order of stiffness / flexibility: P500 (highest flex) > soft carbon (marginally harder than p500) > carbon (definitely harder than the other 2))

However, softcarbon has great control (more precise short game) than the other two. carbon has great feel for a carbon blade but you can definitely still feel the carbon fibre reducing the flex when you loop. p500 does vibrate more than the other two (but better than some other popular 5-ply woods such as stiga offensive classic - most possibly as a result of its slightly harder koto surface).

(control for me: soft carbon > p500 > carbon)

in terms of speed, i think if you are looping with your own strength, p500 is the fastest (most power in mid distance due to flex), followed by soft carbon, and finally carbon. however, in terms of the quickness of a passive bounce, the order goes the other way (carbon being the fastest, followed by soft carbon, then p500).

in the non-speed glue era, you will need good solid footwork to make the p500 an offensive weapon. if you are into flicking / close table attack, carbon will probably fit the bill the best. soft carbon is probably the most versatile of the lot - no obvious weaknesses and great both for mid distance looping and the short game.

if you decide on the p500 and not sure if it will be powerful enough for your game, i suggest you go for a heavier one (above 88g - i think they mostly come at 80g or thereabouts). i tend to prefer heavier (90g+) classic 5 ply blades. they seem to compensate for the relatively weakness in the backhand blocks.

my softcarbons are 85g and 90g respectively. they are very well balanced so it doesn't feel heavy at all. i would opt for a 93g+ one should i buy another one in the future to give extra power (and better for flicks).

my carbon (81g) feels a bit head heavy so actually it feels heavier than the soft carbons. i dont think you need a particularly heavy carbon because of its balance.

hope it helps.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2008 at 11:15am
Wow, great post BKTT Clap
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2008 at 1:08pm
BKTT, you sounds like you have a good selection of yasaka blades.. Could you go a bit further and compare the MLC & MLSC with YEO?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 12:11am
BKKT, Thanks for your post.  I also have a Ma Lin Soft Carbon at 89 grams and like it pretty well.  I've only had it for a week so I need to spend some more time with it.  What rubbers have you found work well with it?  
Pejantan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pejantan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 4:22am
wow, thanx for ur post BKTT...it awesome

between 3 blade above, i just try MLC....and my conclution is for carbon blade, its really have wooden feel...im still confuse cos i ve heard a lot of great review bout P500 and MLSC

today i use OC CR and still heavy glued, i luv its control but i thinx it lack of power and speed of course, that why im looking for  blade with OCCR control but more power and speed but under 85gr

thanx
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 4:27am
sorry rokphish, i have never played with my own YEO so cannot comment on it (i have a 90g one but never used it). i have used a friend's briefly but not long enough time to make any comments.

robjkc, i've tried several rubbers with my ma lin soft carbon and contrary to some people who find it very difficult to choose rubbers for it, i thought it is compatible with a wide range of rubbers. i have used skyline 2 (39 deg and 40 deg), sriver L, sword hero 48 deg on its FH (all glued), and bryce FX, palio hadou, and sriver L on the BH (very mildly glued). i think it will be reasonable to start with something not too hard (e.g. sriver L hardness) and work on from there. in my opinion this blade works well with both euro/jap rubbers as well as chinese ones (as long as they are not the extra hard stuff from DHS and requires speed glue)
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 4:46am
one point i would like to add about the ma lin soft carbon (penhold). i improved a lot on my RPB when i used this blade (i used it for 6 months). it is not too bouncy and is very stable - i improved a lot on my RPB consistency. it is also not too slow either - because if it is a slow blade, you need to be much more precise and have a better touch on your reverse backhand to get all your shots on the table in a game. also, typical for most penhold yasaka blades, it has a relatively long blade face, increasing the sweetspot + the area for which to hit the ball on the reverse side. for these reasons alone i think this is a good blade for players looking to take their RPB to the next level.

my 90g soft carbon has a 'd' tone to it (i.e. medium-to-soft and more dwell than the average blade). the soft carbon layers provide the necessary umph to it. overall, a very good blade to RPB.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 9:55am
Originally posted by BKTT BKTT wrote:

sorry rokphish, i have never played with my own YEO so cannot comment on it (i have a 90g one but never used it). i have used a friend's briefly but not long enough time to make any comments.

Oh, okay... I'll be looking forward to your review on it later then... Wink
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic