Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing a chopper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 5:36pm
I am lucky,  I have a practice partner that will chop for 15 to 30 minutes every time we play.   After a while you get pretty good getting balls back with either hand.  One thing my practice partner says is very effective is hitting the ball with a lot of spin so that it practically falls low off the opponent's side of the table.   Couple this with side to side placement and the chopper gets tired quickly.  Of course a few good strong returns helps but I find that I must put a lot of my swing in to upwards motion rather than forward motion.

Chopping and looping chops is fun.  The game is slower and one actually has time to get into position when looping.    I find chopping looped balls to be difficult if the looper can make me move a lot.

I normally don't play with my LP paddle when looping chops but what I have found out is that return chopped balls with LP is easy.  You just bounce the ball back and let the back spin be your top spin.

Sponsored Links

Nelinjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelinjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 10:36am
hello :)

what is attack deep into forehand or backhand?Question
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 7:33pm
Hitting the ball so it lands near the edge of the table on your opponent side.  So it will bounce 'deeper' into their territory and they have to move away from the table to get the ball.

Versus hitting the ball so it lands in the middle of the table and you opponent can still stand close to the table to return.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
Axzann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axzann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 5:05pm
Loop and push
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2012 at 4:15pm
Loop the crap out of them and give them short balls sometimes and also place the ball in different places.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2012 at 1:14am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Hitting the ball so it lands near the edge of the table on your opponent side.  So it will bounce 'deeper' into their territory and they have to move away from the table to get the ball.

Versus hitting the ball so it lands in the middle of the table and you opponent can still stand close to the table to return.

nice tip. place the ball in the white line. one to the right and then to the left to drive the chopper crazy who will be for sure if you are able to do so.

Edited by ejmaster - 09/18/2012 at 1:15am
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2012 at 5:54am
One to the right one to the left and down to the line is not the most ideal tactic.

If you power loop one down the line (regardless of direction) you can almost certain a faster return with more possibility of heavy spin. Changing direction become incredibly difficult. It can create more mistake from attacker's point of view.

If you don't power loop down the line (trying to spin loop it down the line) it's almost certain the ball is gonna run high for a chance of counter loop smash.

Neither is good idea.

What you really should be doing is loop the same side and force chopper stick on one side longer and wait for a slight mistake from them and power drive the totally opposite direction.

Or

loop toward the body of the chopper creates more problem for chopper, especially if it is very close to the end of the table.
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2012 at 10:44am
As a defender, I must say I love it when people try to loop from side to side. This allows me to get into a nice rhythm, while still being able to chop down hard on the ball, with my arm extended. I do hate those who loop to my body, as this forces me to move away from the ball to be able to chop down on it and this is much harder.
The holy grail
Tao Li View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tao Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2013 at 11:35pm
personally, one shot kill the point is better way!  
www.tabletennistaoli.com
Loop40mm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loop40mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2013 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Tao Li Tao Li wrote:

When I play against a 2200 chopper, he practically returns everything.  I actually loop with a lot of spin against him.  How does killing in one shot work?

I am actually no match against him.  I don't bother playing games with him(or is it the other way around:))  I practice with him.

What works is looping strong and then looping softly.  In essence, the change of pace works.
Stiga Ebenholz NCT V

FH Tenergy 05

BH DHS Tin Arc 3

longreachlooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2013 at 9:25am
When I play against a 2200 chopper, he practically returns everything.  

I actually loop with a lot of spin against him.  

How does killing in one shot work?

I am actually no match against him.  

I don't bother playing games with him(or is it the other way around:))  
I practice with him. 

What works is looping strong and then looping softly.  

In essence, the change of pace works.

Of course killing it in 1 shot works!
Have fun with him and improvement
you will see.
You'll get more + more used to
all kinds of spin and speed.

¡ ʎpoqʎɹǝʌǝ ɹoɟ pooƃ sı sıuuǝʇ ǝןqɐʇ

Edited by longreachlooper - 08/16/2013 at 9:27am
-Blade

-Spinny verywell controlled stuff forehand

-long pips or inverted or med. pips on backhand

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2013 at 5:19pm

So have to teach to everybody because no one including pro players know how to manage to do so.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
mattythegunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattythegunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 1:13pm
When playing a chopper variation is key. Choppers like to get into a rhythm. Make sure you always loop the ball into different areas and mix pushes. If the chopper doesn't attack give him long topspin serves which when returned give you a long ball which can be looped. When playing a chopper its all about being more consistent then him. 
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

So have to teach to everybody because no one including pro players know how to manage to do so.

Clearly he's not saying to do this every time, but it's definitely better to put it away when you can. Who wants to loop it slow every single time and work for the point when you can kill it for a winner given the chance? 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2013 at 7:51pm
If a two winged chopper, then x the table with slow loops and mix in pushes, until you can put one away.
They usually have one side which is significantly weaker at chopping, go there more for your set up put away.

If a one wing chopper/blocker and one wing looper/counterlooper, give up too much variation causes too many problems, LMAO !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2014 at 7:28pm
how I play is loop, (let the person chop), push, they either push back or add a lil wrist action to cut it back, loop again and switch between loop and push. Pushing is super underrated. a well placed push puts your opponent into loosing balance, leads to your advantage.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 10:20am
First, return the choppers serve !
-- Go wide
-- Go short
-- Go wide
-- Go short 
-- You get the idea
-Blade

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 10:41am
The first thing to know about all defenders is : they dislike the ball coming straight to their body because it is not obvious to adapt your moves when you don't have enough time to do it.
I'm an all rounder and sometimes, I play defense with some opponents. I like all the balls coming in the angles, I like the pushes because I'm often better than they are in that kind of game.
I dislike rhythm change and balls straight to the body and of course, hitters because you don't receive spin on which you can build your own spin.
When playing a defender, the first thing to do is to loop the first ball towards him and forced him, to move (not left and right) from behind to the table and then the opposite.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

how I play is loop, (let the person chop), push, they either push back or add a lil wrist action to cut it back, loop again and switch between loop and push. Pushing is super underrated. a well placed push puts your opponent into loosing balance, leads to your advantage.

Against pips, I call that the "up down" method where you're working against your own spin.  I've had situations where I did a heavy loop and then my next push shot 3 feet off the table because of the shear  amount of backspin I was pushing against.  That method isn't as easy as it sounds.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:19pm
the best way is to practice with a chopper
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Smacfest View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smacfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 12:40pm
I generally give choppers a short float/topspin serve though it must be hard to read to fool them. They'll try to give a heavy chop push back and if I gave them float, they send off the end of the table and if I gave them topspin the ball pops up and bam I can smash it. But you do have to mix this up with the odd fast serve either into their body or wide so it's hard for them to chop it. If you find yourself stuck in a loop to chop to loop to chop rally, give them the best angles you can, mix it up. If they're in a rhythm or far back from the table give them a short push and if they manage to get that back, it will generally be a weak return so you can either repeat the process - giving them angles until they break down - or you can take a risk and try to drive/loop the ball past them to finish the point.
Blade: Andro CSV
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Andro Rasant Grip
No. 88 in U15s
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

As a defender, I must say I love it when people try to loop from side to side. This allows me to get into a nice rhythm, while still being able to chop down hard on the ball, with my arm extended. I do hate those who loop to my body, as this forces me to move away from the ball to be able to chop down on it and this is much harder.

I would like to say without to brag that I'm really good against defenders. And like you said my tactics is often to play as much as i can in the middle of the table to get the opponent out of his rhythm. 
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 2:51pm
LOFTY ARCHED LOOPS...

XuXin versus JooSeHyuk,
2014 Asian Games men's single SF,

THIS is to prove in all evidence that no defender, however good he may be, could combat against topspin play.
The lofty arched loops, as Xuxin have succesfully used in the match so oftentimes is the best effective play to destroy chopper.

Doing those 'Lofty Arched Loops' will take you a lot of skill and may exhaust your breath entirely, be aware!!
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 3:23pm
I've probably said this before, but on key points when you are serving, don't deliver a ball they can get a stroke on, ie serve short because they want to hack the ball with a long stroke that is hard to read, serving short stops any follow through in the stroke ( because the table is in the way) making it harder for the defender to work the ball. Short float/topspin works best because it is harder to create heavy backspin with control.
The Older I get, The better I was.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 4:59pm
+1 APW46 
My loop is against chop is one of my strengths IMO, and when in doubt, i go to my high topspin loop that does come short... it works and its consistent enough...
but when it comes to 2300+ choppers who can wipe out those balls, I am forced to execute a more precise, tactful shot that needs better touch and skill so thats where I run into problems... I played Kazuyuki Yokoyama (used to be 2500+) and the variation of spin, attacks and consistency was just too much...
and i dont have a forehand like xu xin
but so far, serve long dead ball and get a chop or light return back and keep on looping works for me!
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

+1 APW46 
My loop is against chop is one of my strengths IMO, and when in doubt, i go to my high topspin loop that does come short... it works and its consistent enough...
but when it comes to 2300+ choppers who can wipe out those balls, I am forced to execute a more precise, tactful shot that needs better touch and skill so thats where I run into problems... I played Kazuyuki Yokoyama (used to be 2500+) and the variation of spin, attacks and consistency was just too much...
and i dont have a forehand like xu xin
but so far, serve long dead ball and get a chop or light return back and keep on looping works for me!

Well, I guess a lot of US players know him but I didn't know this player (Kazyyuki Yokoyama) and I watched on youtube.
Really special character and...what a sexy guy :)))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2vcZUYc-w
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longreachlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2014 at 6:03pm
Relax.......take it easy....don't over do it.
  :-)

Edited by longreachlooper - 01/22/2015 at 11:00am
-Blade

Jama9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jama9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2015 at 12:42pm
Third ball attacking is very important. Serving float long to their desired chopping side should give you the ball you want to attack. Try and emulate that in rallies/points. If lp's, push to their BH and itll come back with no spin/slight top spin, this you can attack. Remember to get your feet in the right place. 
Powerloop
Jama9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jama9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2015 at 2:43pm
A small point: the more spin you give, the more spin youll get back. Alter it constantly if you can, kill the ones. 
Powerloop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic