Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best long pimples for chopping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RasmusAre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RasmusAre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best long pimples for chopping
    Posted: 01/14/2009 at 9:05am
Hi. My clubmate is starting to chop, and he need a new long pimples rubber. What would you guys recomend? It should have nice controll and don't be to expensive.
Sponsored Links

RedMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 9:44am
That's pretty much a open ended question that could last for a long time. One LP will work for some where as won't work for others. I like the TSP Curl P1-r OX. Others hate it. But for someone starting to chop and wants a good LP I would say the Stiga Destroyer OX.
RasmusAre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RasmusAre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 10:02am
He chop away from table and don't practise very much. So is it really god with OX or shulf he has thicker?
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 10:12am

As RedMan has said, the TSP Curl P1R is a good chopping rubber. When it comes to durability and good spin, the TSP Curl P1R performs very good. I personally use it but the sponge version.

A while back I had a BLACK version of TSP Curl P1R without sponge. Here is the thread where I have that rubber for sale.

RedMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 10:24am
No sponge is more forgiving than with sponge. If he doesn't practice much I would stick with OX. If you don't have good chopping form the TPS will do you no good. It can be very unforgiving even in OX. Like I said before. The Stiga Destroyer is a good basic LP that will work for anyone.
RasmusAre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RasmusAre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 12:30pm
what do you guys think about yasaka phantom, DHS C8 and butterfly feint long III? is it similar? shoul he use OX or 1.0? 
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 12:31pm
I'm trying TSP Curl P-H now. It is way different than TSP Curl p1r.
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 12:36pm
I have not used Yasaka Phantom. I have tried Tibhar Grass DTech.

You can consider XIOM Guillotine. It is more of a "live long pips" than TSP Curl P1R which has a dead feeling. The pips bend better than TSP Curl p1r and have higher friction too. Unlike TSP Curl p1r it is good for attack also.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 12:53pm
If he wants cheap and good control, I would suggest Dawei Saviga V or 388D, both cheap long pips rubbers with great control and good chopping ability.

Unlikte the rest here, I would actually suggest that he bought something with sponge, 0.5 or something like that. Chopping with OX is very limited, but even a tiny bit of sponge helps to create spin variation, which is the way to win points from chopping.
The holy grail
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 1:37pm
Kokutaku 911 is a cheaper long pips too. I haven't tried that myself but have heard it is slower and good.

Yes, the sponge can add spin variation.

Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:00pm
The  Kokutaku 911 id very good LP, its a OEM from a very known brand, but let not get into that, OX has very control,
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 2:55pm
If he wants something not too expensive then you should go with Chinese rubbers. Some European brand also make their LP rubber in China and sell them for high prices..
729 has 755, DHS has C-8, Palio has CK531, Double Fish has 1615, Dawei has the 388 something.
Out of those I would recommend Palio CK531 or Double Fish 1615 - OX
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

... Some European brand also make their LP rubber in China and sell them for high prices..

Thats a kind of wrong information.

A lot of brands make their products in China because it is cheaper, availability of raw materials, cheap labor etc... If European brands make rubbers in Europe, they would cost higher like Tensor rubbers cost close to $50 while a Chinese rubber costs less.

The European brands may be making long pips or inverted rubbers in China. The Chinese manufactures make it according to the specs that the European brands provide. They also have contractual agreement that their specs can't be reproduced includes sponge and top sheet specs.

I have asked some Chinese manufacturers whether their $15 blades / rubbers are equivalent to a $36 products from other brands. Surprisingly, they have said their products are not a replacement for brands selling for higher prices. As they have said, it is a budget option.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 3:43pm
Since you are from Sweden, I would recommend you to contact Lars at Japsko (www.japsko.com) and ask him for advice. He carries a lot of pips and has good knowledge about them.

My recommendation still stands, if he wants to chop with it, he really should use a sponge. OX gives better control for a close to the table blocking game, but it might be harder to use away from the table chopping. Also, the feeling of OX might take some time to get used to.

As for the 911 suggestion, I've heard that it's a good LP, but the pips are rather stiff. I believe this increase control/reversal, but once again, it will make it harder to do something of your own with them.
The holy grail
jakeblanks View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeblanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 4:57pm

ive never used the lp or any pips for that matter i like smooth rubber ive heard the feint long 3 are a good lp rubber the most helpful website ive ever bought from is paddle palace you can call them and tell them your situation and they have a lot of experience of advice not saying any of these other guys arent giving good advice because they are

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 5:05pm
feint 3 is very grippy, which makes it hard to control close to the table since the pips react to spin more than most others.  i recommend starting with a little sponge like 0.6mm.  this gives a nice control boost for chopping due to the greater dwell time on the racket.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 5:13pm
He should start off with a fairly cheap inexpensive chinese pimple and either ox or 0.5mm thickness, 1mm is just to fast to use if your starting out.
I can recommend, galaxy neptune, globe 979, double fish 1615 or 729 837.

Monkey

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

... Some European brand also make their LP rubber in China and sell them for high prices..

Thats a kind of wrong information.

A lot of brands make their products in China because it is cheaper, availability of raw materials, cheap labor etc... If European brands make rubbers in Europe, they would cost higher like Tensor rubbers cost close to $50 while a Chinese rubber costs less.

The European brands may be making long pips or inverted rubbers in China. The Chinese manufactures make it according to the specs that the European brands provide. They also have contractual agreement that their specs can't be reproduced includes sponge and top sheet specs.

I have asked some Chinese manufacturers whether their $15 blades / rubbers are equivalent to a $36 products from other brands. Surprisingly, they have said their products are not a replacement for brands selling for higher prices. As they have said, it is a budget option.

I am not saying they have the same specs varg, just mainly pointing out they order their stuff from China. And some of them plays almost the same, without the hefty price..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2009 at 10:37pm
Yes i agree... I would also add that many of the pips made outside China are not really any 'better', but simply different... some players will actually like the chinese made better, some the Japanese/Euro...

Of course a lot of time you can't even tell where it's madeBig%20smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 1:13am

I am not saying they have the same specs varg, just mainly pointing out they order their stuff from China. And some of them plays almost the same, without the hefty price..

Some of the German brands may be ordering from China but not all of them.
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 2:07am
Of the top of my monkey head I know
Destroyer and Alkadi L2
Possibly Phoneix???

Monkey

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 3:05am
Originally posted by RasmusAre RasmusAre wrote:

what do you guys think about yasaka phantom, DHS C8 and butterfly feint long III? is it similar? shoul he use OX or 1.0? 
c8 is fast for a beginner to learn to chop imo,very good for block though,feint III is easier to learn,you can  almost chop like an inverted rubber and it will handle spinny serves but not much disruption when you block and quite slow,but expensive.
a lot of players in our leagues are using guoqiu miracle magic monkey long pips(not sure if they`re ittf approved),i have heard  but i havn`t used myself,these are slow with good control and tricky to play against.
i would suggest to order at www.eacheng.net they have a few different types to try and cheap to order,i have just ordered palio ck531a after reading good reports,looking forward to trying out
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2009 at 6:56am
Friendship 837 w/1mm sponge. They are very soft, have high control, and are probably the easiest to master.
CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic