Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rubber for chinese Topspin Style

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Big_Maama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Maama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rubber for chinese Topspin Style
    Posted: 02/15/2009 at 12:54pm
Hello,
I am new in this forum and I am looking for rubbers which are fast and which I can use to play topspins with a long arm movement - like Wang Liqin, Ma Lin etc. There is a huge amount of tacky rubbers offered in the internet but somehow I dont trust the describtions. Currently I play the Tenergy on my forehand so I am searching for a rubber thats quickness comes close to this rubber.
Do you know for example the different palio rubbers and could you comment on them? I am just mentioning the palios cause they are quite cheap...Wink
Hope you can help me since in german forums nearly nobody plays with chinese rubbers...
Sponsored Links

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 1:18pm
Tacky rubbers will do the trick..
The best is Hurricanes, IMO, but they needed to be speed glued to speed them up. So if you want a Tacky rubber that the speed is close to Tenergy, post glue era, Haifu BW II Factory Tuned is the closest. It's not as good as the Hurricanes speed glued, but it's quite good.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 1:30pm
Globe National (black) is also  a good rubber .
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Ciprian Ciprian wrote:

Globe National (black) is also  a good rubber .

Yes, I agree with this one also.. needs gluing/tuning though.. the sponge is rock hard without it..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 1:48pm
Yes, the sponge is hard  .I didn't use SG on it. I played today with it after a while and still has a good spin.
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 2:03pm
In general anything tacky is good.  Here are some rubbers that might work listed in order of speed(slowest to fastest, unglued).
     Globe 999
     729 SP Transcend
     Hurricane 2
     LKT Rapid Speed
     729-5 (I use this) 
   You can straight arm loop with Tenergy05 also, but it may be a bit fast.
   Edit: I don't recommend Globe 999 National version without glue/tuner. It's the hardest rubber I've ever used yet still manages to play very slow; it reminded me of PF-4.
Big_Maama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Maama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 2:39pm
Thank you for your nice responses ! Im am especially interestet in these Friendship rubbers. @danhs :  What exactly is your playing style with the 729-5? Do you recommend this rubber?
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Big_Maama Big_Maama wrote:

Thank you for your nice responses ! Im am especially interestet in these Friendship rubbers. @danhs :  What exactly is your playing style with the 729-5? Do you recommend this rubber?

See the thread I started on this rubber on February 7: "729-5...Good Stuff". I highly recommend it (the rubber; not the thread).
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 2:27am
You may want to try Xiom Zeta (Asian) max.  It's not tacky, but very grippy, has a high throw, and plays like a Chinese tacky rubber.  However, it's very fast (close to Tenergy) and lighter than Chinese rubbers.

It's not cheap though, and my sheet is showing wear and tear after just 2 months of play (about 60 hours).

Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 2:41am
how much is haifu?
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 4:48am
i'm still a little surprised to see globe 999 black recommended as a tacky topsheet.

i would say it's a good rubber for looping. but i wouldn't call it tacky. nowhere near ritc 2000
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 4:50am
and if you're looking for high speed without speed gluing, i'd give quattro sponge a try
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

i'm still a little surprised to see globe 999 black recommended as a tacky topsheet.

i would say it's a good rubber for looping. but i wouldn't call it tacky. nowhere near ritc 2000
ShockedAll the sheets of 999 I've encountered have been at least as tacky as Tackspeed 2000. Perhaps you got a bad sheet? Or perhaps mine were extra good.Wink
MindTrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MindTrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 6:39pm
729 SP is a soft tacky topsheet. Combine that topsheet with a Dawei Quattro sponge and the speed element will be added. I play with this combination and have stuck to it for the past 5-6 months. That's a long time for me. That combo gives me all the spin I could want and good away from the table looping. Costs $15 for the 729 SP and whatever Cole charges for the Quattro sponge now. You only have to separate the top from the sponge and attach it to the Quattro.
Apolonia ZLC
Donic Z3
Andro R42
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2009 at 7:20pm
Not to be combative dans, but I've never seen a 999 that was as tacky as a ritc2000.

Nor does stickiness have any bearing on quality, at least not necessarilly.

Oh, and I've not seen SP sold by itself in more than a year.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 2:26am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Not to be combative dans, but I've never seen a 999 that was as tacky as a ritc2000.

Nor does stickiness have any bearing on quality, at least not necessarilly.

Oh, and I've not seen SP sold by itself in more than a year.
Your post did not offend me and this reply is not meant to be combative either. 
    You should know best about the 2000, but none of the sheets I used(I wore out about 4 sheets-I did like it) seemed that tacky to me. Maybe the low throw and lack of insane spin fooled me.
      I know that stickiness doesn't  necessarily have any bearing on quality.  I only mentioned it because the original poster was asking about rubbers suitable for a chinese-style straight-arm loop.  In my experience very few non-tacky rubbers fit this description, even tenergy05 is only so-so.  Trying to loop this way  powerfully with a low throw rubber is a recipe for diagonal cartwheels (sorry-I just got a visual). I am aware that not all tacky rubbers are high throw, but I do believe that the highest-throwing rubbers are tacky. 
     Feel free to disagree, I'm wrong several times a day at least.  Like Socrates, I hold it a greater gain to be refuted than to refute.Embarrassed

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 3:05am
Originally posted by danhs danhs wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

ShockedAll the sheets of 999 I've encountered have been at least as tacky as Tackspeed 2000. Perhaps you got a bad sheet? Or perhaps mine were extra good.Wink

I think the sheets I got were fine (I received a new red and black sheet from Cole). I mean, they were slightly tacky, but not close to 2000 or GeoSpin Tacky... actually not even as tacky as LKT Torrent.

The black sheet of 2000 that I've been playing with for a couple months can still hold a DHS 3* ball upside down for as long as I want it to.
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 3:38am
my best guess is Haifu Whale II tuned or wait for the new DHS rubbers with glue effect.

you can still do a chinese forehand with tenergy just fine.

if you do want that extreme spin, wait for the new DHS rubbers.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Big_Maama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Maama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 6:44am
And what do you think of the Palio CJ 8000 Biotech
(39-41 Grad Version) ?  It�s tacky and following the desribtion it is quite fast. Did you gain any experience with this rubber?
Ciprian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciprian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 12:47pm
the_theologian-you are probably right saying RITC 2000 is tackier than Globe but who said it isn't.WinkI know that my Globe National ( black) is tacky.
Big_Maama - asked for tacky rubbers not for the tackiest rubber.
Xi Enting
FH-Aurus Sound
BH- Pryde 30
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 1:19pm

The XIOM ZETA ASIAN may be a good choice for you.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

The XIOM ZETA ASIAN may be a good choice for you.

zeta is an excellent rubber but it's too soft for die hard chinese fans.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2009 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Are you talking about the Asian version?  It feels quite hard to me.  In fact, that's one of the things I don't like about it, and why I'm going to try Tenergy next.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 12:37am
if you get a chinese efffect rubber, you'll just have to end up retuning it anyway like i started bitching about in the BW2 journal thread. Whether it's Blue Whale II.. or the new DHS glue effect rubbers that are coming out eventually.

The rubber I used to use which is faster that BW2 untuned is 729-2 sensor. They are equally tacky, and the 729-2 sensor is a smidge softer.. but its a few steps faster. Not as fast as the tuned BW2.. so its in between tuned and untuned BW2.

H2 is a good example of a very tacky low throw rubber.. its tackier than h3 right?

side question.. how tacky is TG3 in comparison to H3? I might start playing the TG3 #21 and start tuning it if its better than BW2. I still like BW2 regardless of if i have to tune it.. but i still want something tackier.

thanks.
Big_Maama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Maama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

Are you talking about the Asian version?  It feels quite hard to me.  In fact, that's one of the things I don't like about it, and why I'm going to try Tenergy next.

Ive read a few reviews of the Xiom Zeta and it appears to me the rubber is quite fast - maybe as fast as my tenergy (or close to it). As i read its not tacky but has  a high grip... do you really think that suffices to play the chinese Topspins? I mean, normally you say that you need tacky rubbers to play a very good long-arm Topspin (?)
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 12:16pm
Yes.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Ciprian Ciprian wrote:

the_theologian-you are probably right saying RITC 2000 is tackier than Globe but who said it isn't.

Ciprian,

danhs did, several posts up:

"ShockedAll the sheets of 999 I've encountered have been at least as tacky as Tackspeed 2000. Perhaps you got a bad sheet? Or perhaps mine were extra good.Wink"
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

Yeah I'm talking about the Asian version. Do you really think Zeta Asian is quite hard? OMG!! Wait until you try tenergy that's like rock hard.
Big_Maama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Maama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 5:07pm
A new thought just came to my mind ;) . Would it be possible to take the sponge of my current tenergy and put it together with a chinese topsheet?
Since today ive tried the first time to loop like the chinese players with the tenergy and all in all it worked out well. I could imagine that it would work even better with a tacky topsheet.. What do you think of this idea?
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2009 at 5:32pm
Its a good idea and there is a thread about it, just dont try to iron it or put it in boiling water, yes youll be able to separate them but they will be worthless.  go slowly with acetone (nail polish remover)
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic