Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haifu Dophin & Haifu Penguin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haifu Dophin & Haifu Penguin
    Posted: 09/09/2009 at 11:42pm
All,

Alex asked my to test out these two pips and do the review.  So, I tested and here is my review:

Stiga Royal                 Haifu Dophin                Haifu Penguin
=====================================================

Speed                   10                                 8                                   7
Spin                       7                                  9                                   8
Control                  8                                  7                                   9

Haifu Dophin has good spin.  It plays very similar to 802-40.  It is ok close to the table attacking game.  It has higher throw than both Penguin or Royal.  I don't like it too much because the throw is kind of high for short pips.  However, I switched it to my forehand and tried it on the forehand.  Well, it's not bad at all for a forehand short pips.  It's good for forehand short pips.

Haifu Penguin is softer and smaller pips.  It's slower than Dophin, but it has more short pips characteristics.  Because it's slower, it's easier to counter block and flat-hit close to the table.  I  I tried that on my forehand, it's not too good for forehand.

In short, the Haifu Dophin is good for forehand close to the table spin/smash combination attack.  Haifu Penguin is good for backhand counter block and setup smash followed by the second more powerful smash.  I found this combination is really good. 

Note:  If I have to pick one of them, I would pick the Penguin because is deadlier, and it has lower throw.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2009 at 11:57pm
I might as well tack on my two reviews as well, because Alex had me test these two also.

I can't compare to Royal, but I can compare to spectol.

I 100% agree with everything Speedy has said. But I would also like to add that for all you who used spectol- penguin is almost Identical. Penguin is a 'shen jiao' or 'raw/crude pips'. My friend tried to explain what that is exactly, but i didn't quite understand. I've heard 4 completely different meanings from 4 very reliable people, so Idk. But if spectol was a 7 for speed, 7 spin, and 9 control.... penguin is a 7 for speed, 7 for spin, and 9 for control. They are very much the same. The penguin flex a little more, and are a little softer pips than spectol. I think this ties into the shen jiao idea, because I hear its the same kind of material or something as LP, it has more of a 'pip effect'. I can chop off the table with it easier than spectol, even with the thicker sponge. this is what I'm using now on my BH, because i have no more spectol, and this is a good replacement till i get another spectol. Like speedy, I would pick this over Dolphin.

Dolphin- At first was nice and fast- it came with no tuning layer like penguin did, but was faster at the same time. The pips are very large- similar to 802-40 like said above. I agree about the throw being too high- It was spinny but the throw gave me problems. Its a good FH sp for penhold players. You could loop with more devastating effect, which is nice but not the reason for BH SP use. Hitting through spin was easy enough, but the ball came off the pips WAY faster than it did in the penguin. when I first played BW3 and Dolphin on the same blade, i initially said that dolphin was FASTER than BW3. But it slowed itself down after it broke in.

overall, again i agree with speedy. Spin/smash game with dolphin. counter/block/smash game with penguin.

thanks for the opportunity to post my thoughts, speedy.
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 12:22am
i got a couple Dolphin tuned, sponge was rock hard, almost plays like an inverted, so might as well play w/ an inverted.

Penguin would be interesting if it had really good glue effect.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 12:53am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I might as well tack on my two reviews as well, because Alex had me test these two also.

I 100% agree with everything Speedy has said. But I would also like to add that for all you who used spectol- penguin is almost Identical. Penguin is a 'shen jiao' or 'raw/crude pips'. My friend tried to explain what that is exactly, but i didn't quite understand. I've heard 4 completely different meanings from 4 very reliable people, so Idk. But if spectol was a 7 for speed, 7 spin, and 9 control.... penguin is a 7 for speed, 7 for spin, and 9 for control. They are very much the same. The penguin flex a little more, and are a little softer pips than spectol. I think this ties into the shen jiao idea, because I hear its the same kind of material or something as LP, it has more of a 'pip effect'. I can chop off the table with it easier than spectol, even with the thicker sponge. this is what I'm using now on my BH, because i have no more spectol, and this is a good replacement till i get another spectol. Like speedy, I would pick this over Dolphin.

Dolphin- At first was nice and fast- it came with no tuning layer like penguin did, but was faster at the same time. The pips are very large- similar to 802-40 like said above. I agree about the throw being too high- It was spinny but the throw gave me problems. Its a good FH sp for penhold players. You could loop with more devastating effect, which is nice but not the reason for BH SP use. Hitting through spin was easy enough, but the ball came off the pips WAY faster than it did in the penguin. when I first played BW3 and Dolphin on the same blade, i initially said that dolphin was FASTER than BW3. But it slowed itself down after it broke in.

overall, again i agree with speedy. Spin/smash game with dolphin. counter/block/smash game with penguin.

Great addition to my review...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 12:54am
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

i got a couple Dolphin tuned, sponge was rock hard, almost plays like an inverted, so might as well play w/ an inverted.

Penguin would be interesting if it had really good glue effect.

If you guys like the 1.8mm Royal or 1.9mm Flarestorm, you will like Penguin (with some differences).
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
alexli View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 10:09am
Speedy, beeray1, thanks for the reviews!

Table Tennis Super Forum - MyTableTennis.NET

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 11:58am
Next - Haifu Pufferfish and Haifu Eel (long pips!) Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 4:06pm

even though it doesn't fit the bill... Haifu Giraffe LP would be awesome! long neck---- long pips.

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2009 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by alexli alexli wrote:

Speedy, beeray1, thanks for the reviews!

No problem!
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 3:12am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

does it feels like glued?
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 9:32pm

would not have guessed penguin plays better than dolphin, thanks for the info I will try a penguin.

AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
widodo7823 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote widodo7823 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2010 at 12:23am
try Haifu Shark II........?????

i have been try HSII for BH on my acoustic its work well......
good control, good for spin is easily........
Nittaku Acoustic + Neo H3C + Gambler Outlaw
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 8:29am
Can some one tell me what is the color of the sponge on the Penguine?  I just got one, and the color is light red, looks exactly the same as the BWII upgrade (RED sponge version), so I wonder if the Penguine I got is also an upgrade version...  Anyway, the PIPs are quite hard and do not have a lot of grip, which is ok for a MP, but since the sponge is also hard, it is very hard to control.  Hitting, and blocking fast and spinny loops are good and fast (very fast), but it's very hard for me to attack under spin, as the ball does not stay on the blade long (too hard, no grip), I ask a few PIP players in my club to try and they are all having problem controlling it too.

I took out the pre-tune on the sponge, and soften it with some PO, and it is a little better, but still very hard to control.  I wonder if anyone playing with this rubber experience the same problem, or know how to tame it, please let me know.

Edited by mhnh007 - 12/21/2011 at 10:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic