FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Most/Least comfortable ST handle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most/Least comfortable ST handle
    Posted: 12/26/2009 at 11:16pm
This topic is about STRAIGHT handles ONLY.

What is the best/worst straight handle you played with?
I have large hands and I like handles of appropriate size, sort of squarish.
An ideal handle I found so far is Timo Boll Spirit ST (or Michael Maze ST - both very similar).

The worst - Tibhar Samsonov Alpha ST - so thin and round that it felt like a broomstick.

Although I like TBS handle better, honorary mention award goes to Stiga Clipper (or Stiga Peter in general).

Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2009 at 11:25pm
I too have large hands so finding a good handle is often a challenge. My Rutis was way too thin. My current blade (Xiom Fuga) is so far the best I've ever encountered. Large and kinda squarish, as you mention.
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 12:38am
One of the most comfortable ST handles: Stiga OC
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 1:22am
Old Hking ST, Mizutani ST, Acoustic/Violin L-sized ST are very comfortable to hold, especially if you have big hands. Mizutani ST is the smallest among them but it's squarish and comfortable to grip. While Stiga Peter handle is too thin IMO, a bit thicker will be comfortable to hold.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 5:08am
Wavestone ST has a nice big handle...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 6:29am
YEO has a good ST handle, but I wish a handle even bigger. Most of the handles I saw are thin for my taste, sometimes I have problems when I switch from fh to bh, the fingers get into my palm.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 12:39pm
My all-time most favourite (comfy) ST handle:

Least comfy:

Period.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 12:55pm
I really like ST Violin handle, because I�ve got a rather small hands. However the FL hand it�s horrible because of the hollow gap when you�re handling it
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 2:33pm
I like the handle of my Allround Evolution Peter...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 2:50pm
Butterfly squarish handle like Primorac OFF-. I think the TBS and Timo Boll series has this type handle, not oval and not too thin. These are my favorite type handles in ST. Many Yasaka ST blades are similar in construction but not quite as good.

http://gallery.me.com/adamwitherspoon#100373
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
ttvet86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvet86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 5:13pm
Speaking of broomstick handles, does anyone remember the old Butterfly Power Smash blade? I had one in the 80's. Same as the classic power drive but with a rounded straight handle that screamed BROOMSTICK!  I'd like to get my hands on one of those just to look at and wonder what was I thinking back then...
I like the straight handle on my Yasaka Gatien Carbon.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 8:59pm
BEST:

1) Photino ST- its hard to go from any FL blade to the Photino ST, but if you already use a ST and go to Photino, no other handle will suffice. 2) HK ST- looks like a photino ST handle. 3) Tenor ST- Like the HK ST, I haven't tried the Tenor ST, but it looks like a good one.

GOOD:

New TB series, TBS, MJ, M.Maze... Squarish ST handles kick ass.

HONORABLE MENTION: Yasaka make some decent ST handles. I really like the Hinoki Leo 7. And there are a lot of older BTY blades that have great ST handles... (They don't always make them like they used to...) Chuan Chih-Yuan is a very nice ST handle, Gergely 21, Schlager Carbon, etc.

BAD:

I don't like Stiga ST handles. They are flat and the wings come down too far so the handles always feel short. Matsuhita Pro ST. nothing worse than a defensive blade with a short handle.

UGLY:

I haven't tried the Iolite ST, but I can say that Rutis ST is like holding a pencil in your hand.
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 12:49am
It is interesting how best handle for one can be on the least comfortable list for somebody else.
peter79 - what is the Stiga Peter handle that you found too thin?
Could you post measurements of yours: width, height and diagonal?

All Stiga Peter handles that I measured (OC, OC CR, Clipper, All Classic) are pretty thick: X 29mm, Y 23mm, Diag 29mm. I rarely find blades with thicker handles than that.

I actually found that the handle feels comfy to me when diagonal is slightly more than the width - even having smaller volume of the handle.

Measurements taken from some of my ST handles:
Stiga Peter (Clipper, OC, etc.) X 29mm, Y 23mm, Diag 29mm (oval-squarish)
TBS: X 27mm, Y 22mm, Diag 29mm (squarish)
Donic Baum: X 29mm, Y 23mm, Diag 27mm (oval)
Korbel: X 27mm, Y 22mm, Diag 28mm (oval-squarish)

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 7plywood 7plywood wrote:

It is interesting how best handle for one can be on the least comfortable list for somebody else.
peter79 - what is the Stiga Peter handle that you found too thin?
Could you post measurements of yours: width, height and diagonal?

Eben V and Optimum Carbo.
Optimum carbo is even thinner than the Eben V.
I'll measure it later...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 10:05pm
I don't want this thread to die yet.
It could be great wealth of information if everybody adds measurements to their posts.
Look up a few posts for some of mine (TBS, Baum Carrera, Korbel, Clipper)

A: width
B: height
C: diagonal

~stiga21~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~stiga21~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 2:22pm
Great thread!  I've spent days on the web trying to find this sort of information regarding ST handle dimensions.  I have large hands too and don't want to buy a ST handle blade through mail-order only to find that the handle is not big enough.

7plywood, do you have the measurements for the Samsonov Alpha ST handle that you mentioned in your first post?  I've always thought the Samsonov Alpha ST should have a good size handle based on web pictures of the blade.  Does anyone know if the dimensions are the same for all Tibhar ST handles?

Last year I compared the ST handles on a Stiga Kevlar Wood and a Yasaka Extra:

Kevlar Wood: 29 x 23 mm (same as what 7plywood reported)
Yasaka Extra: 28.5mm x 22.5mm

Even though the YE was smaller X-Y dimensions, it had a circumference that was about 2mm bigger than the Kevlar Wood because of the squarish shape of the YE handle.  I measured the circumference with one of those flexible fabric-type tape measures.  Since then I've sold the YE so I can't get the diagonal measurement that 7plywood has measured.

The HH Table Tennis website (cafe.daum.net/hhtabletennis) has ST handle dimensions in some of their reviews.  Only problem is most of the reviews are in Korean and google translator doesn't work on them.   However if you scan through the review, you'll find an area in each review that has the characters FL, AN, and ST with dimensions in mm.  They also usually have a picture of the end of the handle, so we could calculate the diagonal dimension as well.  When I get a chance I will attempt to compile some of these and post them to this thread.

~stiga21~
Blade - BTY Primorac EX

FH - Stiga Magna TX II

BH - Stiga Boost TX
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 2:59pm
This is how the handle of my Alpha looks like now LOL.
Approximate measurements of Alpha ST: width 28mm, height 22mm, diag 25mm (shape oval)

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 3:13pm
Koku Staysher:
A=28
B=22.5
C=28
Length=104

PKorbel:
A=27.5
B=22.5
C=28
Length=100

Donic WSC:
A=28
B=23
C=26.5
Length=102

H-3-9:
A=29.5
B=22.5
C=29
Length=102

Stiga Clipper Wood:
A=29
B=22
C=27
Length=102

YMLEO:
A=29.5
B=21.5
C=29
Length=100

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 4:01pm
TBS (best handle for me) vs. Clipper (classic Stiga ST, very good handle) vs. Waldner Senso (classic Donic ST, not too bad).

You can see the worst ST handle 2 posts above.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 4:45pm

my korbel handle.. like someone above said.. its oval squarish.

ive tried clipper which is a bit more oval.

i want to try TBS ST... alot of ppl seem to like it.

Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 7:30pm
The best ST handle I have used so far is the one of the Michael Maze Off. Square and thick.

The worst (by far) is the Stiga Clipper "Peter". Too flat, too wide and the wings come down too far, so the handle feels short, and narrower at the bottom. I wasn't comfortable at all playing with it, as it felt like I would loose it any time. Also the low wings really hurts. I tried sanding it, but still it is way too flat and wide.
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
~stiga21~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~stiga21~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 9:30pm
Are ST handles on the Primorac Carbon and Schlager Carbon the same dimensions/shape as on the Michael Maze or TBS?

~stiga21~
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by ~stiga21~ ~stiga21~ wrote:

Are ST handles on the Primorac Carbon and Schlager Carbon the same dimensions/shape as on the Michael Maze or TBS?

~stiga21~

All BTY handles are individual, so they vary between different blades.
I've never had Schlager Carbon ST in my hand, but from some pictures I've seen it looks more like Gergely 21 ST handle or Stiga Clipper. I don't know dimensions though.

Unlike BTY, Stiga Peter handles (Stiga name for their ST handle) seem to be the same between different models. Also for Donic it seems to be true for their Senso blades.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 1:32am
Well the handle on the DHS Hurricane King (St) is as about as good as it gets  The best straight handle I have ever played with is the Klampar carbon  blade awesom. Talk about great feel and extra long....By the way ,if any one has one for sale  pm  me I will take it.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 5:18pm
In my opinion schlager carbon st is better balanced than fl but it usually gets more heavy weight. It is good handle st in sc. more or less the same as in maze and squarish (maybe not so thick as in maze). better st handle in sc than in clipper. 

i do not like present peter stiga handle at all.

when one gets a thick one yasaka squarish st is quite good.
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Schlager Schlager wrote:

The best ST handle I have used so far is the one of the Michael Maze Off. Square and thick.
That is my opinion. I like this thick cubish chunk of Michael Maze OFF the most. I don't like Stiga handles (Legend, Peter, etc.), they are rough, unfinished, uncomfortable. And the Donic handles i've played so far i didn't like too (e.g. Waldner Senso). Second to the Michael Maze OFF handle i like Tibhar handles, like the one of Alpha, and the big one of IV-L.
Hansi Blocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansi Blocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2010 at 3:19am
My favourite handle is Butterfly Korpa!

A: 30 mm
B: 22 mm
C: 31 mm
D (new factor = length): 98 mm
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2010 at 9:28am
Acoustic L-Sized :

A: 28 mm
B: 23 mm
C: 28 mm
D: 101 mm
E ( New Factor = Thickest part at the middle) = 29 mm

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 10:31pm
M.Maze: X 27mm, Y 22mm, Diag 29mm (squarish)
Handle pretty much the same as TBS

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 11:37pm

Is this Petr Korbel ST handle more like Stiga Peter handle or Mizutani ST handle?

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic