Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flexible vs. Stiff blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexible vs. Stiff blade?
    Posted: 04/27/2010 at 11:59pm
Hi all,

I have question about flexible vs. stiff blade.  Which one is easier to provide spin?  I would think that flexible blade is.  But how do you test to see how flexible it is, or you just feel it?

Thanks.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
FH: Andro Rassant Grip
BH: Andro Rassant PowerGrip
Sponsored Links

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 12:07am
Usually softer all wood blades compared to stiff all wood blades are able to produce more dwell time and more spin because of it. With blades like the Stiga Offensive CR you are able to feel the flex when you hit big loops.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Usually softer all wood blades compared to stiff all wood blades are able to produce more dwell time and more spin because of it. With blades like the Stiga Offensive CR you are able to feel the flex when you hit big loops.

Thanks, and just wonder if the Timo Boll ALC that you have flexible or stiff?

FireHorse
Current Setup:
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 1:55am
also the thickness of the blade plays a big part in the equation,thinner=more flex
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 3:01am
Originally posted by FireHorse FireHorse wrote:

Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

Thanks, and just wonder if the Timo Boll ALC that you have flexible or stiff?

FireHorse

The ALC is relatively stiff but still has excellent spin and is very adequate in the short game. I think that both the Koto piles and the arylate carbon help give it a mid gear that produces a lot of spin. I find it near perfect against all types of players coupled with an offensive game. Some OFF+ blades I've had are only good for looping and blocking. This blade seems to have enough touch to still have an effective short game. In other words not too fast not too slow.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 6:46am

Hi all,

I have question about flexible vs. stiff blade.  Which one is easier to provide spin?  I would think that flexible blade is.  But how do you test to see how flexible it is, or you just feel it?

Thanks.

FireHorse

Yeah, with a flexible blade it's easier to get spin because often it has more dwell time. The outer layers also have a part in this, harder outer layers have less dwell time. It's hard to test how flexible a blade is exactly, for me the best way is just try and see how it feels on harder shots.

Generally wood has more flex than composite and thin blades have more flex than thick blades.
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 9:41am
Thanks everyone for answering my question.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2010 at 12:04pm
Knocking a blade with your knuckles or using a very light wooden mallet will give you some idea about hardness or softness. Harder blades will gave a higher tone, softer will have a lower tone but this us a relative test. For stiffness I usually just lay the blade on a hard fiat surface and very gently press down on the blade face and the flex in the flexy blades is quite clearly evident. But don't press too hard lest you snap it. And thinner or thicker blade is not always a reliable way of assuming a blade is flexible or not. Some very thin 7-ply blades are very very stiff. Case in point being the BBC Double Diamond which is one of the stiffest and fastest wood blades out there. And some really thick blades have flex and even vibrate on impact like single ply blades.
Stiff can have a softer outer ply and a flexible blade can have a harder outer ply. Stiff means great for smashes, flat hits, pips out rubbers and good in the short game. Usually won't go well with hard sponges.
Blades with flex are good for looping, generate more spin but are also more sensitive to incoming spin. Are not always good in the short game because of the catapult effect when the blade bends under impact and then throws the ball out. Usually best with a medium hard sponge. Examples would be most five ply all wood blades unless they ard built around a really thick center ply. There are exceptions to every rule.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 1:36am
Blades with flex ... are not always good in the short game because of the catapult effect when the blade bends under impact and then throws the ball out.

I wish I had read this earlier. I spent a lot of money trying to understand what was wrong with my new blade, Stiga Offensive CR. I thought the problem was in the rubbers so I bought many.

I didn't know it was flexible, so I did not understand why the throw angle was increasing when I hit hard, and the ball was going out. After one month I couldn't get used to it. Then I bought another blade, Stiga Allround Classic, which is even more flexible, so imagine my despair!
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 3:34am
If you find a thinner 5.1mm blade like the Allround Classic and 5.4mm Offensive CR too flexy, you'd be better off with blades like the Allround Evolution, Offensive NCT and allround NCT; which are around 6mm thick. 
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

If you find a thinner 5.1mm blade like the Allround Classic and 5.4mm Offensive CR too flexy, you'd be better off with blades like the Allround Evolution, Offensive NCT and allround NCT; which are around 6mm thick. 

Thank you Peter. I already ordered a 729 dynasty super carbon. I'll keep your suggestions in mind if that turns out to be too stiff.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 5:24am

Hi all,I have question about flexible vs. stiff blade.� Which one is easier to provide spin?� I would think that flexible blade is.� But how do you test to see how flexible it is, or you just feel it?Thanks.FireHorse

Well, this is a very good question. I had spent so much money and so much time to just answer this question.

I didn't understand too much about Chinese rubbers vs. Japanese rubbers. In the last 6 months, I have been playing with various Chinese rubbers, and they tied to the flexible vs. stiff blade topic.

Yes, in general, flexible blade would be great for spin. However, it would be even better, if you use flexible (thin) blades with Chinese rubbers. If it is all wood with 5.0mm to 5.5mm (78-84grams), that's the best.

Stiff blades are good for power looping from mid-distance with Japanese rubbers, i.e. Tenergy 05 or some traditional Japanese rubbers.

I hope I answered your question.

Good luck,
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 5:52am
 ?  Flexible blade it is necessary for good tops ?
" Of course!For example: Yasaka Extra 3d has 3 thin lines in blade for increase in flexibility between the handle and the face for tops ! " ...
Wang Hao,Ma Lin,Xu Xin,Ryu Seung Min,Lee Jung Woo, ... : they do magnificent arches.All of them play a Pen, the handle almost is completely free, and fingers hold 1/3... 1/2  blade face.Ryu Seung Min and Lee Jung Woo have a thickness blade  9... 10 mm.
?  Flexible blade it is necessary for good tops ?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 10:11am
It's about the whole sandwich.

Topsheet-Sponge-Wood-Sponge-Topsheet

That's like

Bread-Condiment-Meat-Condiment-Bread

To make a good sandwich that loops well you must have harmony of ingredients.

Speedy's recipes:

(thin, flexible blade with chinese FH) produces a spin weapon that flexes and provides dwell at mid distance due to flex - but also good against short balls (hard sponge, tacky topsheet).

(thick stiff blade with japanese rubbers) produces a speed weapon that excels at mid distance due to the rubbers and sponge providing dwell and spin, but require greater touch and more precision in the short game.

The recipes indeed get strange when you have chinese FH rubber and euro BH rubber on stiff blade (fast and not as spinny).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
FireHorse View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireHorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Hi all,I have question about flexible vs. stiff blade.  Which one is easier to provide spin?  I would think that flexible blade is.  But how do you test to see how flexible it is, or you just feel it?Thanks.FireHorse

Well, this is a very good question. I had spent so much money and so much time to just answer this question.

I didn't understand too much about Chinese rubbers vs. Japanese rubbers. In the last 6 months, I have been playing with various Chinese rubbers, and they tied to the flexible vs. stiff blade topic.

Yes, in general, flexible blade would be great for spin. However, it would be even better, if you use flexible (thin) blades with Chinese rubbers. If it is all wood with 5.0mm to 5.5mm (78-84grams), that's the best.

Stiff blades are good for power looping from mid-distance with Japanese rubbers, i.e. Tenergy 05 or some traditional Japanese rubbers.

I hope I answered your question.

Good luck,

Thanks for your answer.  I just ordered the CTTA Carbon Flex and a sheet of Hurricane II.  I just tried to play with it today and it's not that easy to handle but I will stick with it for a while.  I probably need to use Hurricane III instead of II.  And by the way, the CTTA Carbon Flex is a thin blade with the carbon layer is in the third (close to the core) like the Innerforce series.  I'm not used to the new blade and also the Chinese rubber so I can't tell if I like it yet.  Got to give it more practice time to see if I really like it.

FireHorse
Current Setup:
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2010 at 8:55pm
Seguso, you can add a fair bit of stiffness to a flexible blade by putting on three coats of sealant on it. But that will alter other playing characteristics as well. So it would be a bit of an experiment.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2011 at 5:14pm
I don't understand how the stiffness of a blade can dramatically affect its looping performance. When looping, the blade is swung on edge and any flexing of the blade at the narrowest cross section will be in the plane of the blade, which is the strong direction. Given the very small scale of the deflection in this strong direction, shouldn't there be negligible difference between that of a flexible blade and a stiff blade, not enough to be felt?

The stiffness does come into play when driving with topspin because the blade deflects in the weak direction, as a result of the blade being swung with the face relatively more head-on than when looping. In this instance, a flexible blade deflects more than a stiff one and is likely to provide a different feel.

If one's attack game consists of flipping, over-the-table looping and counterlooping, aggressive blocking, and short and mid-distance looping and counterlooping, which is the most ideal blade:
  • Stiff with hard top plies,
  • Stiff with soft top plies,
  • Flexible with hard top plies, or
  • Flexible with soft top plies?
Or do all 4 options work, depending on what rubbers are matched to each of them?

Thanks.

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2011 at 6:25pm

Hi all,I have question about flexible vs. stiff blade. Which one is easier to provide spin? I would think that flexible blade is. But how do you test to see how flexible it is, or you just feel it?Thanks.FireHorse

Flexible blade makes it easier to produce spin. My The only thing I do to test it is play it :)
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2011 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I don't understand how the stiffness of a blade can dramatically affect its looping performance. When looping, the blade is swung on edge and any flexing of the blade at the narrowest cross section will be in the plane of the blade, which is the strong direction. Given the very small scale of the deflection in this strong direction, shouldn't there be negligible difference between that of a flexible blade and a stiff blade, not enough to be felt?

The stiffness does come into play when driving with topspin because the blade deflects in the weak direction, as a result of the blade being swung with the face relatively more head-on than when looping. In this instance, a flexible blade deflects more than a stiff one and is likely to provide a different feel.

If one's attack game consists of flipping, over-the-table looping and counterlooping, aggressive blocking, and short and mid-distance looping and counterlooping, which is the most ideal blade:
  • Stiff with hard top plies,
  • Stiff with soft top plies,
  • Flexible with hard top plies, or
  • Flexible with soft top plies?
Or do all 4 options work, depending on what rubbers are matched to each of them?

Thanks.

Like icontek said, it's a harmony between the blade and rubbers, but I'll add another dimension:  the player. Some players just don't have good touch and can't preform certain shots well, so they adjust their style and strategy accordingly. As for the style game you mentioned, I think a stiff blade would be best, but as for hard or soft, I don't know. I like how stiff soft blades play and I think that would work.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

I think you may be underestimating the component of the force of impact that goes along the flexing (weak) direction.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 1:48pm
I just wanted to add to Speedys post. I find stiff blades work great with lively rubbers that have adjustable throw within the rubber (tensors/tenergy) and flexible blades work best with Chinese rubber to give you that adjustable throw the rubbers don't naturally have. Stiff blades and Chinese rubbers works also but only really well if you are just staying close to the table. You just have to remember that it works differently with each setup, more power with a tensor on a stiff blade gives a lower throw, more power with a flexible blade and Chinese rubber gives a higher throw.

racquetsforsale, near table looping and reflex blocking really want's a stiffish balsa blade, rubbers whatever you like

Edited by bluebucket - 04/18/2011 at 1:51pm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 5:42pm
it will again be debated. but imo it is similar to hard and soft sponge rubbers.

assuming rubber is same (with med sponge hardness)
- if you have a very fast hand movement, low dwell time blades will generate more spin.
- if you have slower hand movement, flexy blades willl generate more spin.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 11:22pm
Grip should also be in the equation. Lose grip allows better dwell time.
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 2:32am
The flex of a flexible blade as a stiga allround has a low frecquency and big amplitude. I can imagine  this makes it possible to use the flex of the blade as a give (for dwelltime to use the rubber elasticity) but make the ball leave the rubber before the blade fully recovers from that flex. The blade/rubber behaves slow then and a ball would not reach the net if the player doesn,t put enough energy in his stroke. Thus has to put more energy in and that makes the spin higher because spin is not affected by this loss of energy.

With a soft thick sponge with also a low frecquency it becomes diffcult to use this principle because the ball has to stay too long for the rubber giving the blade too much time to avoid a full rebound. This wouldn,t affect the spin for a stroke with given amount of energy but makes that the stroke has to be done with more caution - less energy - to keep the ball on the table and that decreases the spin then for a too soft sponge.

This technicque to load the spin in a way comes down to disconnecting blade and rubber and with that speed and spin where a blade never really adds to the spin. Minimize linear component  enables to put more energy in a stroke (in many occasions) enables to load up the spin more and put more energy in the stroke.

Offcourse this does not count where a curved trajektory is not needed as much to land the ball.
Then a more flexible blade will still reduce the speed according to this principle of "delayed rebound" result in a higher spin/speedratio (which can make it look more spinny due to more curvation and longer dwelltime on the opponents rubber when blocked passive) but not really less (or more) spin.

Edited by mercuur - 04/19/2011 at 2:46am
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 9:56pm
Energy WRB is a soft and flexy blade.  It is supposed to be slower than OC, and designed for Off- speed level.  However, looping using classic rubbers combined with the flex (catapult effect), it can be as fast as an OFF blade.  My opponents thought I was using a solid OFF blade.  Mine is only 75 grams.  I wonder if I use 93 grams Energy WRB.
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2011 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

The recipes indeed get strange when you have chinese FH rubber and euro BH rubber on stiff blade (fast and not as spinny).

That's exactly how I like my bat!  I guess strange people like strange combos. Smile
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2011 at 5:37am
Stiff blade engages sponge more, and you can produce great amounts of spin. Stiff blade is more linear because always engages sponge. Stiff blade better for smashes, flat hits, punch blocks.
Flexy blade has catapult when powerlooping and absorbing effect on very slow incoming balls. In short game engages sponge less so you can return shorter, but has longer dwell time so throw angle can be bigger, because rubber can catch more incoming spin. I played with both kind of blades, and flexy generally offers better control in push (I didn't say maniacal cutting of every ball over the table) and loop. Stiff offers more precision in smashes and flat hits, but less looping control.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic