FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Boz USA Tour 3-17 July 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boz USA Tour 3-17 July 2010
    Posted: 05/12/2010 at 9:12pm
I would like to come visit you peeps over there in the states.

1. I would land in LA - and look to travel outwards north or west towards where you guys are.
2. I want to know if there are any TT events on.
3. I want to know who would give me a place to sleep, like couch (sofa) matress on the floor, has a car to show me a few sites around your town.

4. I would like to create a kind of plan of a - b - c etc until I have to return to the airport. I am hoping to see some sites, play some TT, drink some happy local stuff and enjoy for a couple of weeks and meet the people I have grown to love via this forum.

If you feel you would like to be apart of this sponsor a crazy Aussie table tennis player tour, PM me and I will add your town as a point of possible destination.

YOU AND YOUR FRIEND OR FAMILY ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO STAY AT MY HOUSE IN AUSTRALIA if you choose to visit.

- I will not bother visiting your country if nobody replies. I am at least looking for a night or 2 on your floor.

If I find 3 people in LA then I will stay there but if people all over the south west mention interest then I will look into further travel.

If nobody offers then I think I might just fly into Tokyo and eat sashimi and say hello to old friends.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Sponsored Links

takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 9:45pm
well, the 1st tt event around that time that comes to mind is the US OPEN, but it's far away in michigan which is east and up north (it borders with canada).

go here to find a list of tt events: http://www.usatt.org/events/tournaments.shtml

as you can see from the map there, michigan (MI) is up in the light-green section and far away from california (CA), which is down in the southwest, in the red section

but, if you are traveling around the whole country, and you're looking for TT, then i guess you'll have to find your way there, cuz that's the biggest tt event happening in the time that you will be here.

anyhow, good luck to you and enjoy your trip!!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 9:48pm
thanks takaaki atleast someone is helping!

um I said LA because it is the cheapest point from Australia. But if there is nothing and nobody interested in helping me out then I could land anywhere better. whats the exact date?

I will look now to find out for myself.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 9:52pm
I think the open is finished before I get there. anything else on in the US at that time?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Conan the Greek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan the Greek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:03pm
There are tournaments every weekend somewhere in the U.S.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan the Greek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:04pm
You haven't indicated how you plan to travel around the country.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:27pm
No idea how to travel - maybe bus or train - not even sure where I would go but if a few people offered a few points I could draw a line between them with possible sites to stop off to see and take it from there.

I only have 2 weeks maximum off from work 2 days flight minimum and about a week and a half moving around.

I could rent a car but I'm a bit worried about the left to right thing.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:32pm
Here's what's going on in CA at that time:

2010 Northridge Open Woodland Hills, CA 7/17-18/10 Dinh Nuygen
818-648-5898 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 818-648-5898end_of_the_skype_highlighting

in the souther midwest

Wild Bill Hickok Shootout Abilene, KS 7/10/10 George Taplin
785-263-0577 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 785-263-0577end_of_the_skype_highlighting
2010 Lindenwood July Open St. Charles, MO 7/17-18/10 Randy Kendle
636-928-6081 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE 636-928-6081end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Northern Eastern midwest
Jimmy McClure Memorial Table Tennis Open Indianapolis, IN 7/10-11/10 Alan Grambo
317-372-0804

In the south

Mid-Florida Tour-Lakeland July Classic Lakeland, FL 7/16-17/10 Raymond Spann
863-965-0760

And in the Northeast:

Maryland Circuit Eldersburg, MD 7/3/10   Yvonne Kronlage
410-489-7291
Bay State Games Medford, MA 7/10-11/10   David Marcus
617-492-4317
2010 BTTC Open Series Brooklyn, NY 7/11/10   Nison Aronov
718-421-2200
Maryland Giant RR Eldersburg, MD 7/17/10   Yvonne Kronlage
410-489-7291
LNVTTC 2010 July Open Shelton, CT 7/17-18/10 Roman Tinyszin
860-416-5299

So California has the best (4 stars) tournament in that timeframe, and the East Coast has the most events.

NORTHEAST REPRAZENT YO.

/end silliness.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:40pm
thanks Icontek that is very helpful.
I think some of them a bit too close to the start and end of my dates but these look OK

wild bill
Jimmy
bay state games
brooklyn BTTC NY

I only know off brooklyn and that is kind of far unless there are people up there to stay with.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:43pm
Boz:

You will want to go to the India Community Center in Milpitas if you go to SFO/BA

http://www.indiacc.org/tabletennis

Also, Palo Alto has a nice club (or used to)
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:50pm
Abilene is in the cenrtre of the US smack bang. (sorry just researching now)
Indienapolis even a bit more over to the right (near NY) almost
Medford is even more north of NY

bloody hell everything is on the opposite side of the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:52pm
Boz sorry I don't live in LA anymore or I'd gladly welcome you, but if you can find someone/somewhere to stay there are tons of clubs in LA... Some like LATTA are open 24 hrs...

LA Table Tennis Association

Grace Lin Table Tennis Club

Westside Table Tennis Center

(I don't know why the LATTA website doesn't work. That place is huge. Maybe Round Robin knows.)

If you can make it to the Chicago area, let me know.

mcd0nald View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcd0nald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 10:59pm
had trouble adjusting the right to left thing or vice versa when i visited Canada long time ago LOLLOL

Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

No idea how to travel - maybe bus or train - not even sure where I would go but if a few people offered a few points I could draw a line between them with possible sites to stop off to see and take it from there.

I only have 2 weeks maximum off from work 2 days flight minimum and about a week and a half moving around.

I could rent a car but I'm a bit worried about the left to right thing.
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: NEO H3 Prov 38 degree (BLACK)
BH: XIOM Vega Asia (RED)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:14pm
I just thought most mytt peeps were located there, if there is no interest I might just land in the North East forget I know anyone here.

But honestly LA is the cheapest for me and more than that I don't care about tournament since I don't travel more than a 100kms even from where I live to go to them.

What the "tourist value spots" near Abilene, Indienapolis, and Medford?

I know of car racing but that is it.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:18pm
wild Bill abilene is ruled out

just read they say no alchohol is served!

I have to have beer on holiday sorry.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:22pm
And bay games I am out for sure since for starters I am not a registered member of a table tennis club in Massachusetts or a student bla bla bla
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:24pm
So there is no reason once again to go to the north East, but how about LA? or atleast people in the south west, meet play some tt chill out show me a bit of the "real" USA?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:26pm

I just thought most mytt peeps were located there, if there is no interest I might just land in the North East forget I know anyone here.

But honestly LA is the cheapest for me and more than that I don't care about tournament since I don't travel more than a 100kms even from where I live to go to them.

What the "tourist value spots" near Abilene, Indienapolis, and Medford?

I know of car racing but that is it.

I can't say anything about Indianapolis or Medford, but I assure you: There is nothing in Abilene, KS.

I'm originally from KS. Based on what little I know about you, boz, you don't want to go there... like, at all.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2010 at 11:33pm
thanks Anton that is enough to rule it out twice
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan the Greek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 12:19am
If I were going to make a suggestion for a combination of tourism and table tennis, I would suggest California with a side trip to Las Vegas (nothing like it in the world and some of the hotels are really inexpensive if you go mod-week). Plenty of table tennis in the LA and San Diego area, more around San Francisco which is a very nice train ride north from LA (take the train during the day for the scenery).

Within the metropolitan areas of San Fran and LA, there are decent commuter trains available but they don't get you everywhere, just sorta in the neighborhood. Lots of TT clubs around. IIRC, there's an online directory somewhere on the USATT web site.

There is no train between LA and Las Vegas, but plenty of bus options.

Not to say there aren't some very interesting places elsewhere in the US, but you have two weeks and it seem like that wold be a good way to spend your holiday.

It can be overwhelming to land in a foreign country and not know where to go next. You should have a pretty tightly planned itinerary and have hotels or friends prearranged to meet you at the arrival airport before you get on the plane to depart.

BTW, I live closer to Chicago but IMO, you'll have an easier time traveling and more fun if you hang nearer to the west coast.

I'm in total and complete agreement with Antron Chigurh. Anywhere in Kansas is NOT a tourist destination. It's not any kind of destination. It's not even really much of a place to be from.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 1:40am
gee I am happy not to be from Kansas

thanks for the info all is helping me shape my holiday!
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 1:42am

gee I am happy not to be from Kansas

I'm happy you're not from Kansas, too. Wink

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 2:48am
If you really go all the way to the east coast, then you should visit the famous SpinNY in NYc combination nightclub and hot table tennis club.

if you're more focused on the west coast, I'd recommend you wait until next year.  The US Open this year will probably have a record low turnout, which makes it likely that they will return it to Las Vegas next year.  So if you go in 2011, you can play in the Open in Vegas, which is a short drive from LA.

If you go to LA and drive north, you can hit the Bay area, which is very active, then drive thought Oregon (that's where I'm at, but there's not muc happening here), visit Seattle (some good players) and then Vancouver BC in Canada (lots of good players).  You need to focus on just one part of the country.  Planning to visit much or most of the US is likely planning to visit most of Australia -- it only works if you've got six months to spare.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Conan the Greek Conan the Greek wrote:

If I were going to make a suggestion for a combination of tourism and table tennis, I would suggest California with a side trip to Las Vegas (nothing like it in the world and some of the hotels are really inexpensive if you go mod-week). Plenty of table tennis in the LA and San Diego area, more around San Francisco which is a very nice train ride north from LA (take the train during the day for the scenery).

Within the metropolitan areas of San Fran and LA, there are decent commuter trains available but they don't get you everywhere, just sorta in the neighborhood. Lots of TT clubs around. IIRC, there's an online directory somewhere on the USATT web site.

There is no train between LA and Las Vegas, but plenty of bus options.

Not to say there aren't some very interesting places elsewhere in the US, but you have two weeks and it seem like that wold be a good way to spend your holiday.

It can be overwhelming to land in a foreign country and not know where to go next. You should have a pretty tightly planned itinerary and have hotels or friends prearranged to meet you at the arrival airport before you get on the plane to depart.

BTW, I live closer to Chicago but IMO, you'll have an easier time traveling and more fun if you hang nearer to the west coast.

I'm in total and complete agreement with Antron Chigurh. Anywhere in Kansas is NOT a tourist destination. It's not any kind of destination. It's not even really much of a place to be from.

+1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:11pm

Abilene is in the cenrtre of the US smack bang. (sorry just researching now)
Indienapolis even a bit more over to the right (near NY) almost
Medford is even more north of NY

bloody hell everything is on the opposite side of the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how we like it here in the Northeast! Smile

Sorry buddy - I would have helped you no problem, but I am going to be out of the country until July 15.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:16pm
Medford is basically Boston (20 minutes by subway from downtown Boston) - which is a nice big city, Metro Boston population is about 2.5 million people. Also, if you happen to be here around Independence Day (July 4) count on some interesting events - Tall Ships or some tea dumping in the harbor, why not...

My advice to you - go to New York City and Boston, cover a couple of tournaments and you will also to get to see quite a few of tourist attractions.

What is really there to see on the West Coast? Disneyland? pfui... some nice table tennis clubs, that is true, we are envious of that, but in terms of sightseeing East Coast has the upper hand. NYC and Maryland have some great table tennis clubs too.

takethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:17pm
someone said something nice about susans club there is hope for some members i am sure you will need a couple of days to go through the invitations nevertheless next year come to Canada we will take care of you even if your are not as great as Greg i am sure you are OK see you next year
sharkcard
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:17pm
By the way, if you have a membership card from Australian TT federation, bring it with you - otherwise they will force you to buy a USATT membership to participate in a  tourney!

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:26pm
cheers all the info is helping, July is Summer right? Hot hot? Where do you guys enjoy the beach most?
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 4:49pm

cheers all the info is helping, July is Summer right? Hot hot? Where do you guys enjoy the beach most?

For beach fun, California is probably considerably better than Northeast Cry

Or you can go to Florida Keys or South Carolina beaches on the East Coast.

Don't you have really great beaches in Down Under? they are probably at least as good as anything we can offer you here in the "land of the free"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic