Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Viscaria
    Posted: 06/14/2010 at 10:37am
Hi!

I've recently had the opportunity to loose an official match against one of our best local players (Yang Chengbowen, world ranking 216). He used the Visacaria and I really like the look of this blade Wink

Can anyone compare it to the TBS?
How's the flared handle compared to the straight one of the TBS?
Does it really have a Balsa center layer? Because the blade of the above mentioned player seemed to have a more solid center layer?

Thanks for any useful replies!

Sponsored Links

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 10:39am
its much heavier lol. learned that after holding one with t64 on both sides. it is a very sold blade and very very powerful only recommended for around 1900(maybe even 2000)+ players.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
xake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 11:15am
i think the blade itself is nearly the same, it's a bit heavier and not that stiff as the tbs. the flared viscaria handle is a bit thicker than the tbs flared handle. speed is nearly the same.
the tbs is just an "improved" version of the viscaria, it's the blade which timo boll used before his tbs. some people even say that he just switched the handle and still uses the viscaria ;)
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by xake xake wrote:

i think the blade itself is nearly the same, it's a bit heavier and not that stiff as the tbs. the flared viscaria handle is a bit thicker than the tbs flared handle. speed is nearly the same.
the tbs is just an "improved" version of the viscaria, it's the blade which timo boll used before his tbs. some people even say that he just switched the handle and still uses the viscaria ;)

thanks for the info!
so it basically makes no sense to buy it because it is very similar to my tbs but on the other hand it would also not affect my game negatively...
xake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 11:39am
ehm yep, that's at least what i heard. i bought a tbs fl 2 weeks ago but the flared handle is too thin for me. now i bought a viscaria fl and people said that it's nearly the same but with a thicker handle (also looked thicker on pictures)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 12:02pm
It is not similar to TBS. Viscaria feel is quite different from TBS - it is softer, with better control in shorter game. Plays much better than TBS with medium-hard and hard rubbers.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by xake xake wrote:

ehm yep, that's at least what i heard. i bought a tbs fl 2 weeks ago but the flared handle is too thin for me. now i bought a viscaria fl and people said that it's nearly the same but with a thicker handle (also looked thicker on pictures)

Viscaria's handle is thicker and is very comfortable. If there was a way to transplant Viscaria's handle onto the Killerspin Diamond TC's blade, I'd be so happy!
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 12:35pm
Viscaria & TBS are similar in term of plies composition. The only difference is their thickness, 5.8mm vs 5.7mm. I'm talking about both the older versions.
Why do I say that? I've BOTH, Viscaria FL & a TBS An and another TBS FL sitting here w/me and I'm trying to sell the TBS FL locally for a local buddy.
I even used Magnifying glass to look at the plies/thickness of these 3 blades.
Koto outer plied blades are not that soft at all.
Another important thing is that the FL handle of Viscaria is way way nicer than TBS's. I'm really surprised by how comfortable it is.
Just my very close observation and my own personal experience/opinion.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 1:03pm

Where did you get this from Bro. Both blades are as different as the north poll and the tropical equator. The only thing similar is the Arylate technology that both share.

Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2010 at 6:59pm
They are not that different. Outer layers are different and Viscaria is a little heavier on average with different handle shape.  I have played with Viscaria for years but could switch to TBS and would be playing exactly the same in less than a week.  
cougar3219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar3219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 9:17am
The Viscaria is a very nice blade. I had one but sold it to a club member. As a matter of fact, Zhang Jike uses this blade himself.
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit (st)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda Big Slam

Blade: Stratus Power Wood (an)

FH Rubber: Donic Baracuda

BH Rubber: Donic Baracuda
xake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 9:34am
got mine today, feels really good, especially the flared handle! :)
will play with it tonight! :)
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 10:42am
different wood, the central layer or Viscaria is Balsa.. TBS is not..
Viscaria very low throw, TBS medium high
Viscaria soft but stiff, TBS hard but some flex

personally i prefer Viscaria.
xake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 11:17am
people on tt-news.de say that it's not true that viscaria has balsa. they said it's an urban legend ;)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2010 at 10:26pm
 I never found the Viscaria throw to be low, certainly not compared to TBS.  To me they are a bit on the high side and not that different.  And I own five of them (Viscaria that is).
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:20am
Originally posted by eecrive eecrive wrote:

different wood, the central layer or Viscaria is Balsa.. TBS is not..
Viscaria very low throw, TBS medium high
Viscaria soft but stiff, TBS hard but some flex

personally i prefer Viscaria.

That is completely wrong. Viscaria's core is NOT balsa. Throw is almost same on both blades. Both feel soft but stiff when looping.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:29am
From Butterfly:
Quote Viscaria blades combine the Arylate Fiber features of lightness, flexibility, and shock absorption with the Carbon Fiber features of high elasticity and minimal dissipation of energy. Koto outer plies, Balsa center ply. Viscaria's compact head size makes it ideal for quick re-looping right off the bounce.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:38am
I know that description of BTY USA. But I know the difference between balsa and kiri. Trust me it's not balsa.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 3:50am
based on the weight (90g for 5.8mm) it seems that it is too heavy to be balsa.

now if it is not balsa, then how is it different from TBS?

Viscaria: koto-ALC-???-Kiri-???-ALC-Koto
TBS: Koto-ALC-Limba-Kiri-Limba-ALC-Koto

Their thickness are 5.8 and 5.7mm according to butterflyonline which is within range of manufacturing variability.

Does anyone know what are the 3rd and 5th plies of the Viscaria?
geotjakra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geotjakra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:41am
This must be the most confussing thread on describing a blade ever. It seems every post stating a fact is disputed by the next post, so is it balsa in the middle? Is it similar to TBS? Can somebody who is 100% sure about this blade answer the questions? 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 4:59am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

I know that description of BTY USA. But I know the difference between balsa and kiri. Trust me it's not balsa.

No offence, but I trust official product information from Butterfly more . Why would they intentionally mislead everyone?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 6:14am
None taken. And I trust what I see.
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 6:51am
Hey speaquinox, didn't you play with a Korbel? Can I ask why you have decided to switch to a TBS?
* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:29am
Originally posted by geotjakra geotjakra wrote:

This must be the most confussing thread on describing a blade ever. It seems every post stating a fact is disputed by the next post, so is it balsa in the middle? Is it similar to TBS? Can somebody who is 100% sure about this blade answer the questions? 

I have played with the Viscaria for more than five years and own a bunch of them (but not 10, see below) that it plays quite similarly to the TBS except that on average it is just a little  bit heavier and maybe a little softer and a tad bit faster.  The handle shape is different.  Also, although I am told that straight handle Viscarias have been made they are pretty much impossible to find so that if you want one it has to be flared.  As for what wood is in the center ply, I honestly don't know how to tell one wood from another, but I really don't think it's balsa unless it is a fairly hard variety.  Looking at them in front of me, the center ply of Viscaria and TBS look exactly the same to me.  It is the outer ply that is different.  I am not sure I would trust Butterfly USA to know what their blades are made of.  Maybe someone who can read Japanese can to to the "home" website.

Both are great blades.  I prefer Viscaria to TBS but like I said, I could switch over easily enough if I had to.  I would be willing to be bet that if I used one of my TBS in a match, my opponents would not be able to tell the difference, although I might feel a bit weird about it for a day or two.

Some other crazy guy who owns 10 of each agrees with me. 

http://www.tabletennisforum.gr/forum_posts.asp?TID=3074&PN=2
geotjakra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geotjakra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2010 at 10:41am
Thanks Baal, your explanation is the most credible right now since you already have 5 years experience of playing with it. the balsa thing might still be correct, since from what I understand, when it comes to wood, there is always many variation of one type of wood, just as there are 20 different grades of Hinoki, the same might apply to Balsa, and with the technology of Blade making, you can do things to the wood to change some of it's characteristics. So I would not rule out the possibility of Balsa just yet.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 4:59am
Originally posted by karabijntje karabijntje wrote:

Hey speaquinox, didn't you play with a Korbel? Can I ask why you have decided to switch to a TBS?

Just for fun :). Baracuda is quite a dwelly and slowish rubber. Just wanted to try it on a bit faster and stiffer blade. So far it's nice.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Looking at them in front of me, the center ply of Viscaria and TBS look exactly the same to me.  It is the outer ply that is different. 

What is the outer ply of Viscaria? Not Koto?
karabijntje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karabijntje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 5:42am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

Just for fun :). Baracuda is quite a dwelly and slowish rubber. Just wanted to try it on a bit faster and stiffer blade. So far it's nice.

Ok, thanks. Maybe i'll give baracuda a try sometime, seems like a nice rubber from what i've read here.

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Looking at them in front of me, the center ply of Viscaria and TBS look exactly the same to me.  It is the outer ply that is different. 

Everywhere I look they say Viscaria has koto outer plies and balsa center.

* TBS - Color - Spear - Virtuoso+
* Vega Pro / Europe
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 9:55am
:)
mekongfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mekongfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2010 at 11:04am

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

� Looking at them in front of me, the
center ply of Viscaria and TBS look exactly the same to me.� It is the
outer ply that is different.�

Everywhere I look they say Viscaria has koto outer plies and balsa
center.

I looked at the link given by Baal. The guy who had 10 Viscarias and 10 TBS said they both have Koto outer plies and composition is the same. And he said further that if you cover up the handle and the markings, you would not be able to tell the blades apart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic