Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Coach(es) Best Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 12:08am
Jiāyóu, nǐ néng xíng de!
Timo Boll Spirit in hibernation!
Andrzej Grubba until i reach 1800
FH Coppa Tagora
BH Copa Tagora
Back up rubbers Bryce and focus 3 snipe

Sponsored Links

cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2014 at 12:07am
加油
Timo Boll Spirit in hibernation!
Andrzej Grubba until i reach 1800
FH Coppa Tagora
BH Copa Tagora
Back up rubbers Bryce and focus 3 snipe

malin87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malin87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2014 at 6:52pm
"try to do everything with acceleration"
Icecream AZX,T05,Spectol21
atomant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote atomant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by atomant atomant wrote:

After 2 years of training by a coach from Beijing, he finally said these to me:

1. Use your leg to find the ball
2. Use your leg to hit the ball
3. Compact the arm/body movement (legs not included) during each swing.

Nice, did the coach mention anything about timing and rhythm of the strokes?

Used to but hardly anymore. To elaborate further:

1. Using legs to find the ball. This is nothing new but just a different saying of getting into right position to execute the swing. To do that, the footwork must be fast.

2. Using the legs to hit the ball. This is interesting. After 2 solid years of training, practising the basic swing technique and getting it into the muscle memory, I was told to stop any arm movement and reduce the torso/waist movement as much as 70%. Use the leg as the main tool for power and even the swing itself. To increase the spin, just use the wrist.

3. Compact the movement of arm/body. No unnecessary motion. Do not mimic all those fantastic looking swings by those top CN players. The lesser the motion, the faster you are ready for the return shot.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 2:30pm

Nice, did the coach mention anything about timing and rhythm of the strokes?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 12:05pm

Tagging along on what your coach said, I was once told by a high level coach in Europe that "Table tennis is game of head by using your legs" (I'm not sure the translation into English came out as well as the original)

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">

Edited by VictorK - 12/22/2014 at 12:06pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
atomant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 11:51am

Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 8:36am
My coach often tells me to think forehand when I play, often when my footwork don't work like it should I play to much backhand.. 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Stand closer to the table :-)

Funny, I've been told multiple times that I'm too close to the table and I need to take a couple of steps back.  
I guess it all depends on where you are standing.
If you are standing too close step back.
If you are standing too far away step closer....LOL
Butterfly MPS
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 3:55pm
In a closely tied game if your shots are not going where you are placing watch your foot work .
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
NMM View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NMM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 2:25pm
"You will become strong when you will feel your racket as a prolongation of your arm and for this you have to train yourself a lot"
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2014 at 1:25pm

Funny, I've been told multiple times that I'm too close to the table and I need to take a couple of steps back.  

Haha same here, I was always to close to the table when I was younger, didn't get the time I needed! 
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Think it just depends on style.

I play SP penhold and use a TPB. For this I would always say close to the table easily.

My training partner is a duel inverted two winged looper. For him obviously playing off to get into his type of points is key.

Generally I think playing off the table is for the young & athletic. If you can do it? Great. If you're not all that athletic, I think playing off the table just makes it easier for the opponent. Have to know where you are fitness wise.

There's a difference between playing off the table, and just being a few steps back.  For instance, I play cpen with rpb, but I'm always right up at the table almost like a SP penhold player w/ TPB.  That's too close, but 5-10 feet back would be too far (considering the extra baggage I carry).  If I just move back 2 feet, I'll have more time without giving up too large of an angle.

I should have put my "tip" in context, perhaps. I feel quite comfortable, for my level, to rally a couple of steps from the table. It gives me time to use big strokes, especially on FH, and play nice topspins, or fish and lob if needed, etc. However, every once in a while my opponent turns out to be a half-decent blocker, and I end up taking some blocked balls too late, resulting in weaker shots and loss of control of the rally. Hence the tip to stand/play "closer" to the table, not necessarily "immediately at the table".

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

I play SP penhold and use a TPB. For this I would always say close to the table easily.

My training partner is a duel inverted two winged looper. For him obviously playing off to get into his type of points is key.

Generally I think playing off the table is for the young & athletic. If you can do it? Great. If you're not all that athletic, I think playing off the table just makes it easier for the opponent. Have to know where you are fitness wise.

There's a difference between playing off the table, and just being a few steps back.  For instance, I play cpen with rpb, but I'm always right up at the table almost like a SP penhold player w/ TPB.  That's too close, but 5-10 feet back would be too far (considering the extra baggage I carry).  If I just move back 2 feet, I'll have more time without giving up too large of an angle.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 12:12pm

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 11:30am

Same here. The key is to develop a good block and to give yourself time to react to your opponent's shot with a quality shot, I think. I find that some opponents are too powerful or high arcing to take on at the table and taking a step back helps. But just going backwards reduces your power, widesns your angles and gives up time. I am tall so taking a step back has helped, but I don't power loop so I need to stay close to the table to pressure my opponent.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 11:07am

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 10:46am
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:07am
step back...
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
BRYCE-G2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRYCE-G2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:22am
After hit the ball come back neutral position. do not expect the ball never return and your arm still at the salute position. you dont need a camera man to take photo on those shots!
Tenergy 25
Xiom Vega Europe
Micheal Maze Off ALC
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by cheondo cheondo wrote:

Keep your racket up at all times. I didn't realize dropping the racket was such a key to me losing so many points.
Very good suggestion, I drop my arms all the time. Did he give any tips on how to accomplish this? A tennis coach once told me mantra to to repeat - remember thinking wow what a great saying - no need to write it down - I'll remember it....Darn should've written it down!
Butterfly MPS
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 1:02pm
I also think you need to return to tip up ready position between strokes.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Keep your racket up at all times. I didn't realize dropping the racket was such a key to me losing so many points.

Please elaborate on "keeping it up". Does "up" mean that the racket is vertical, or to keep the whole racket above the table, not beneath the table.

Thanks.

Pretty sure that means above the table.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 11:51am

Please elaborate on "keeping it up". Does "up" mean that the racket is vertical, or to keep the whole racket above the table, not beneath the table.

Thanks.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 3:51am

I also had this problem for a couple of years ago, I learned to keep the racket up after a lot of multi ball sessions.
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 12:31am
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2014 at 9:06pm
One advice that I really like is "Play because it's fun and not for the results". 
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

"Have you thought of trying another sport?"

(not said to me, but I heard it said to another player)

Haha that's a good one! 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 2:26pm
"Of course he'll look good when you loop the ball straight into his paddle."
"Stop looping into his forehand - if you want to go there, at least go wide!"
"You aren't going to drive the ball past him if you play 10 feet off the table."
"Serve short" - "But he's attacking my short serves." - "Serve shorter!"
"If you want to get better quickly, work on your backhand.  Why?  Because no one out there works on their backhands."
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2014 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My knee issues have nothing to do with the fact that the most important aspect of a stroke from an input perspective is the quality of contact made with the ball. 

This is especially true of serving.  If you don't make the right contact, the serve will suffer.
Which is why I was surprised when you said it was for beginners.  I wrote a post on this point and how serving practice helped me learn it.  It helps you move the ball around, misdirect your opponent.. anyways, the objection has been given up - back to more coach's tips.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic