Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to serve reverse pendulum similar to Timo Boll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How to serve reverse pendulum similar to Timo Boll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to serve reverse pendulum similar to Timo Boll
    Posted: 06/22/2010 at 8:19am
   I decided to change my serve style because I found out that Timo Boll's serving motion is shorter than Joo's, the amount of spin is still enormous and I find it easier to vary the type/amount of spin on the ball. So one of my friend also likes this idea so he requested a vid so I made it today and I also post in here so if anyone who would like to learn how to do it or could give me some comments on how to improve it, feel free ! In my previous vid, some suggested me to use mega slow motion like 10%, 15% of the original speed but I figured that would be too slow, unnecessary and it would take me like nearly an hour to render a 30s clip so I would stop at 50% slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1S0_CZpNlI

P.S Comments on background are not appreciated LOL I know my dungeon so I don't need anyone to tell me how dark or how bad it is -_-''

Yours truly.
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 8:32am
Nice video.  I like your top spin serve.  Thanks,
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 11:56pm
I like the back swing happening at the very last moment. that's essential. the grip is perfect and allows a quick shakehand recovery.
I like to have my weight on my left foot when getting ready then I put my weight on my right foot when I toss and transfer all weight on left foot again as I contact the ball. just my 2 cents...

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 12:22am
I need some serves like that. Going to be working on it very soon though. Still working on my footwork. Very nice vid.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 1:45am
I like both the basement and the serve! Wonderful :)
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 1:59am
nice serves :O
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 2:11am

Pretty nice services, I will upload some of mine very shortly. Preparing my private tabletennis place, when its done ill video some, not all ofcourse, else my opponents only have to look at the video.

I will post it on mytt once its done.

(Wanted to post this at the youtube vid but I couldnt for some reason :s)
Blade: Viscaria
FH: Dignics 05 2.1
BH: ABS 2 pro
despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 2:39am
Awesome video. If I had a table at my house I would be trying it right now. I have the basic motion, but it's horridly unreliable.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 5:42am
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH, "very reliabe in those situations you need cheap points" AHHAAHAHAHAHA
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 5:44am
May I add something? After contact with the ball, all the weight is on the left foot and I like then to push against that left foot to bounce back and face the other player, all ready for a 3rd ball. I think in a serve practice session it is very important to always add that last step.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 6:50am
Originally posted by despoticwalnut despoticwalnut wrote:

Awesome video. If I had a table at my house I would be trying it right now. I have the basic motion, but it's horridly unreliable.
mine too . find this the hardest serve to master, I like Fatts suggestion of comming in with the right leg ... So Ill try that
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 7:40am
TBS9x, how do you manage to master so many different varieties of serves!    How would you normally mix it up in a match? I usually find it hard to switch serve mechanics in the middle of a match... :(
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 9:10am
Thumbs%20Up
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 10:12am
Are you gluing/boosting/tuning your rubber? =x

Nice playing area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwb_psKUOoQ
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 5:33pm

Nice serves there. The backspin serve looks more like plain backspin instead of side backspin, especially by looking at how it bounces from your opponent's racket. The reverse pendulum back-side spin is pretty hard to execute. Try throwing the ball closer to your body, that way you can increase arm speed and really brush under the ball. 

You can produce side top spin by brushing under the ball, in an slightly upwards motion with racket lightly open. This is very deceiving.

Good tip about hitting close to the handle for almost dead ball.  I didn't think about that.

Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

I decided to change my serve style because I found out that Timo Boll's serving motion is shorter than Joo's, the amount of spin is still enormous and I find it easier to vary the type/amount of spin on the ball.
 Hey man, just develop your own effective serves, you are just copying service actions with this stuff. Smile 
 Also as Fruity is suspicious, you are definately sp/glueing yr rubbers, its obvious from the clip and the sight of uneven surfaces.

The Older I get, The better I was.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I decided to change my serve style because I found out that Timo Boll's serving motion is shorter than Joo's, the amount of spin is still enormous and I find it easier to vary the type/amount of spin on the ball.
 Hey man, just develop your own effective serves, you are just copying service actions with this stuff. Smile 
 Also as Fruity is suspicious, you are definately sp/glueing yr rubbers, its obvious from the clip and the sight of uneven surfaces.
It is a mean reply. Why don't you post your own serve (not the copycat)?
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

I don't need to post my own serves, I can assure you they are solid up to a high level. Why is a critisism 'mean' ???? I always back up any critisism I ever make with logic. In this case the logic is in my answer, take it or leave it, I don't care, its just advice, and I offer it based on years of experience, not just a whim, so take it or leave it, but please, please don't call me mean based on a totally uneducated reply by someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Edited by APW46 - 06/25/2010 at 7:44pm
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 7:39pm

Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

I don't need to post my own serves, I can assure you they are solid up to a high level. Why is a critisism 'mean' ???? I always back up any critisism I ever make with logic.
If you could do what you said, then people will be happily accepting your critic. Otherwise just a bunch of $@!#. So far I see you only talk without any proof.
I want to see your serve which noone has. Don't talk $@!# here. Prove it.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 7:48pm
This is me playing world no 33:

Edited by APW46 - 06/25/2010 at 7:52pm
despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:00pm

I don't think there's any reason emulating a pro's serve is a bad thing. You may develop your own, but in the end there's only a certain amount of motions possible to serve with. I honestly don't think it was necessary to call him out on anything. I'm not taking either side in this argument, only wondering why there has to be an argument in the first place.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by despoticwalnut despoticwalnut wrote:

I don't think there's any reason emulating a pro's serve is a bad thing. You may develop your own, but in the end there's only a certain amount of motions possible to serve with. I honestly don't think it was necessary to call him out on anything. I'm not taking either side in this argument, only wondering why there has to be an argument in the first place.

I think that is a good answer, there is sometimes a problem on MYTT when people just can't take a critisism, even though that was the reason they posted. As I say I don't criticise for the sake of it, if it comes from me, you can be sured there is a reason, and I always give an answer.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:22pm
This is me playing JKC a moderator on MYTT;

So. no hiding, just real honest stuff here.

I also have a coaching blog that has some how managed 12000 hits;

So I think I may just me qualified to give an opinnion.

Edited by APW46 - 06/25/2010 at 9:42pm
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 10:16pm
APW: I feel like I've come to "know" you, or at least your style, on this site. Therefore, I interpret your seeming "venom" with a bit more generosity. I think I know where you're coming from, and I found your post here to be far less "confrontational" than ususal Wink. However, for the sake of discussion, I put forth two things:

1) I tend to agree with despoticwalnut. There are only so many ways to serve. People will naturally converge on a finite group of techniques, based on the constraining physics of the universe and physiology of humans.

2) I consider using techniques that are already tried-and-true to be a good version of "copying". Although innovation is a good thing and people should definitely try to do so, at the same time there is no reason to attempt to reinvent the wheel. That is the natural flow of culture: People learn what is handed down to them and then they use such knowledge to modify or even invent completely new things. But everyone has to start somewhere. If anyone should be chastised for using the "same old" serves, it should be upper level players who have learned enough about the game to be able to innovate.

Just my two cents, added in the spirit of a friendly discussion. I don't mean to "argue". Smile

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 12:50am
I don't think there is any problem copying someones serves, If you had someone teaching you how to do a serve it means you are copying them, overtime your own style will develope anyway
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 4:45am
Hey guys!

Sorry for my late reply, didn't really check MYTT lately. Well, now I will answer all the questions:
@Fruit_loop: yes, that's quite clear I think :D I boost my yasaka mark v for a little extra speed and make it softer since its a tard harder for my like and I cant afford a yasaka pryde 40 every 2 months or so.
@popperlocker: I blanked out XD but it actually does work for me in times of needs :D
@Ashes: thanks for your comment, and actually, the more you tilt the head of the racket, the more reverse or side spin ( whatever!) you will be able to produce.
@APW: well, everyone has their freedom of speech so I dont really mind, and quite frankly, I'm sort of pragmatic so whatever works I go with it, not necessarily has to be my own, that is too much for me LOL Plus, I explained, this serve is brilliant because you can easily vary the spin but still deceiving your opponent and the motion is much shorter than my older serves so I'm using it now.
@blahness: since if I keep on doing the same thing, the opponent will eventually eat me raw so I have to find some other ways to keep on living :D How do I mix it up in a match? This depends on the situation, also how the opponent stands when he receives my serve, if he's too far from the other corner, I would go for a long straight fast no spin serve or a very wide side + top/back spin to his backhand  so he's forced to play a backhand since I know my partner has a stronger forehand. Otherwise, I know that I have a pretty reliable reverse backspin serve that could normally setup my attacks so I will use it when I feel like I'm on offensive mode, sometimes just plain backspin serve to surprise them. Yes, that's the key, keep on surprising them but don't surprise yourself because believe me, that's not what you want...

Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 5:13am
I'm not chastising anyone, you can take my advice or leave it. What I am saying is that there is SO much more to developing a quality serve than cosmetically copying a service action. Statements such as this;

I am just advising the poster to develop his OWN serves that complement his OWN structured game, thats all. Depth, placement, tragectory, spin, deceipt, connectivity to the next stroke, these are the things that are important in a serve, if a player wishes to improve, he can't change them willy nilly like buying equipment. He only gets to know his serves and they become his friends after they are battle hardened, polished, those of you who have not been this far will think I'm talking rubbish, those of you who have are an elite club.

Edited by APW46 - 06/26/2010 at 5:16am
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Nice playing area

Actually, it is possible to end up with an uneven rubber surface using plain Buttefly Free Chack glue. At least, I managed that at least once Embarrassed

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 7:32am

I'm not chastising anyone, you can take my advice or leave it. What I am saying is that there is SO much more to developing a quality serve than cosmetically copying a service action. Statements such as this;

I am just advising the poster to develop his OWN serves that complement his OWN structured game, thats all. Depth, placement, tragectory, spin, deceipt, connectivity to the next stroke, these are the things that are important in a serve, if a player wishes to improve, he can't change them willy nilly like buying equipment. He only gets to know his serves and they become his friends after they are battle hardened, polished, those of you who have not been this far will think I'm talking rubbish, those of you who have are an elite club.

I get what you mean. But to be honest, I don't exactly try to copy timo boll 100%, because I don't want to and even I want to I can't copy exactly like him. In addition, it's always nice to put a nice variation of your own on the serve, believe me, I do that. Watch me carefully then you would see that, I don't bother to move the legs like him, I make changes that would make me feel comfortable and easily setup my game. And finally, I deliberately wrote the title: how to serve reverse pendulum SIMILAR to Timo Boll not exactly like Timo Boll, hope you guys get what you mean.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2010 at 7:34am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Nice playing area

Actually, it is possible to end up with an uneven rubber surface using plain Buttefly Free Chack glue. At least, I managed that at least once Embarrassed

Very true but actually free chack is rather easy to get a flat surface since the glue is so thin but use something like Stiga Power Attach glue which is like toothpaste then you will know how hard it is to get an even surface. Though I use booster, I wouldn't say it's 100% because of the booster because I would get it without booster anyway...
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic