FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Palio Blitz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Palio Blitz
    Posted: 06/22/2010 at 12:24pm
I have a sheet of black Palio Blitz 47.5 deg that I'm trying out on my Timo Boll ALC ST. (Red BTY Roundell Soft 2.1 on the other side.)

Short term impression:

Sponge- The sponge is wobbly like the other new generation porous sponges out there. And similarly it adds vibration to the blade head, making whatever you have on the other side a little bit faster. Its medium weight. Lighter than Tenergy but heavier than Xiom Vega Euro, for example. In fact Blitz reminds me of Vega Euro, only harder. (I haven't tried Asia or Pro, but it could be more similar to one of those.) Its listed at 47.5 deg, but its dwell and weight make it seem softer than that.

Speed and spin-
Blitz is less bouncy than Macro Era, and it has more control, so at first it seems slower than Macro Era. But once you get used to it, you can hit with a lot of power. (This is good, because I consider Macro Era to have good speed and control, and I don't even consider it a "bouncy" rubber.) In the end I think its overall slower than Macro Era 47.5 deg but faster than 42.5 deg once you figure out its different angles.

Looping, service, serve return- 45� angled loops have great dwell and catapult with Blitz. Flat hitting has good power and control. Blitz doesn't hold the speed and spin as good as Tenergy once you graze the ball beyond 45�, but what rubber does?

Service is fantastic. If you cut the ball thin with your serves you can get tons of spin with Blitz. Short spinny serves with good blade acceleration are really juiced up... If you like to get a little more sponge on your serves like medium or deep serves with power and spin, Blitz is basically similar to the other new gen rubbers.

Throw angle, reaction to spin- Medium throw angle. Maybe higher than Macro Era. Not nearly as high as CJ8000 36 deg, and no where close to Sriver G3, two of the highest throw rubbers I've ever tried. Blitz does not seem overly reactive to spin. But that might take more experimentation in different game situations. Bottom line, considering the kind of heavy spin you can put on the ball when you want to, it has fantastic control.

Overall- I think this is a great BH rubber for advanced 2-wing loopers who don't want to spend a lot of money. Or if you like med-soft rubbers on your fh and hit with topspin, Blitz is a good fh rubber.

Best of all, you can get a new sheet shipped for only $33.50! That definitely makes it a good rubber for my collection. LOL

Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 1:06pm
Thanks for the review.  I plan to give the Macro Era 47.5 a try as a FH rubbers, but do you think Blitz would be better for looping than the Macro Era?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 1:42pm
I think Macro Era is a great looping rubber. Macro Era 47.5 will give you more power for looping than Blitz. Blitz will have more control and I think it has more spin for looping and serves.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 3:09pm
Very good review. I plan to test Blitz (I am now playing with PME 47.5 on FH) in some not too distant future. If you decide to get rid of your used Blitz in a few days/weeks, let me know. I also think I will try and see if Palio Thors is the thing to play with as well.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 3:17pm
Most all my time was spent playing PME 42.5 & simple old Macro.
The handful of times I did play with  47.5 I didn't care for it but maybe it could be attributed more to the blade/s it was on.
It wasn't bad I just liked the softer sponges better.
This is not the case with BLIT'Z.
I found I LOVED the 47.5 sponge!

Like you (LOOPMEISTER), while slightly "bouncy" to some, I never had a problem with PME playing short soft stuff & I completely agree when you say it (BLIT'Z) is less bouncy. It's interesting that we've both found it seems to provide more vibration to the head. I must confess though, I am not understanding you when you say "making whatever you have on the other side a little bit faster".

I'd like to have an extended hit with BLIT'Z again so I could rightly compare it to XIOM Vega Pro, which is itself a really sweet rubber.

btw excellent pictures!Thumbs%20Up
Maybe you are more discerning than me but I take comfort in knowing I got some of it right!!!LOL

My BLIT'Z mini-review

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Heimdallalso Heimdallalso wrote:

I must confess though, I am not understanding you when you say "making whatever you have on the other side a little bit faster".

Choosing a certain rubber can affect the characteristics of the rubber on the other side of the blade... This is obvious with weight. A heavier rubber on one side will make your whole setup more powerful. But it also has to do with a rubber's vibration. For example, two different bh rubbers that weigh the same might cause your fh rubber to feel different. Some of these new gen rubbers can make your blade "wobble". A blade's dwell and catapult effect is compounded with a wobbly rubber. This is a big factor with Tenergy that's not discussed much.

Anyway, Blitz definitely has this "wobbly", "jiggly" (or whatever you want to call it) effect. As does Xiom's Vega series. It wasn't as noticeable in previous generation tensors.

When you take the rubber out of the package for the first time, you will notice this.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 11:00am
Loopmeister, have you tried Hexer? How is it compared to Blitz? Is Blitz top sheet using 100% Natural rubber?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 9:38pm
I played the first time with Blitz tonight. I have it on the FH of my Yasaka Extra with Stiga Optimum MP on the BH. The rubber did not play that differently from Hexer+ tonight. The speed, spin and control are very similar as well as the catapult effect. The sponge looks more like regular Hexer, only white. I glued it with a single layer of Haifu WSB on the blade and on the rubber. The whole set-up feels heavier than my #1 set up. I was always just a tiny bit too late in my swings early on, but I adjusted and I had to make no more changes to my strokes.
I did not get the same 'topsheet only' loops that I used to get with PME. The topsheet itself appeared a little harder than PME, again, more like Hexer+. I will have a chance to play with it again next week.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Is Blitz top sheet using 100% Natural rubber?

Good question. I will look into this.

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2010 at 1:37am
I recently put on two new sheets of Palio Blitz on my blade and hit with it a little today.  I decided to switch to Palio Blitz from JOOLA X-Plode because at $33.50 a sheet this rubber is very good value.  I will be posting my review here to help reduce forum clutter.

About me and my set-up:
USATT Rating: 1801
Total Set-up weight: 184g
Blade: Avalox P700 ST (93g)
FH: Palio Blitz Black MAX (~45.5g cut)
FH: Palio Blitz Red MAX (~45.5g cut) 
Glue: Butterfly Free Chack

Palio Blitz
Physical Properties
The sponge as you can see in the pictures posted by loopmeister is white and porous.  The sponge does not feel as hard as the listed 47.5 degrees (unlike JOOLA X-plode, which feels like its advertised 50 degrees). The black sheet has a nice shine to it, while the red sheet is transparent to where you can see the pips.  Compared to JOOLA X-plode, the pips are larger and spaced further apart.  The topsheet is completly non-tackey; the plastic protection sheets (non-adhesive type) I have do not stick to them.  The rubbers have the nice Chinese character for electricity (dian/pronounced dyen) right next to the brand name :)

Uncut Sheet weight: 65g
Cut Sheet weight: 45.5g
Sheet dimensions: 16.9cm x 16.9cm
Sponge Thickness: MAX
Sponge density: 0.2276g/cm^2
Throw: Medium Low

Loop/Counter
Palio Blitz is a fast rubber. This rubber makes a nice click sound when it's hit right.  Several of my club-mates have described this rubber as having a more "natural feel" when looping.  By this I think they mean that they can feel the ball.  Lots of tensors/ spring sponges have a tendency to mute the feeling of the ball.  Blitz will not mute the feeling.

When reading about this rubber's spin capabilities , some people have claimed that this rubber is as spiny as Barracuda, which is supposedly a spiny as Tenergy.  I found that this rubber is not spectacular when it comes to spin.  This rubber still has good spin, but it does not give you more spin than you put into your stroke - at least not like Tenergy or Barracuda.  This rubber does however give you more speed than you put in your stroke. When countering balls stay low and have a flat trajectory, when looping, balls have a low arc and are fast.

Service
Blitz keeps balls low and has good spin when serving.

Push
Blitz is a bouncy on short touch shots.  On long pushes this rubber is not as forgiving; if your paddle angle is not correct pushes tend to go off the edge of the table.
-------------
07/04/10
After Hitting with it more today I have gotten more used to the throw angle.  Long pushes are now very low, flat, and fast.  For short pushes as long as you keep the ball on the topsheet and not let it sink into the sponge, balls can be placed very short.
-------------
-Flip

Block
Since this rubber is fast and has a medium hard sponge, there is not a lot of dwell time.  This is good for blocking.  This rubber is not spin sensitive- Ball goes in, ball goes out; the ball does not sink and stay in the rubber allowing your opponent's spin to take full effect. 

More detailed review to come...

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/06/2011 at 4:42am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 12:38am
Has anyone else hit with this rubber?  Blitz's throw is much lower than X-Plode's and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it because of it.  In practice I can hit balls nicely, but in a game, it not so forgiving (need to work on footwork!!!)
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 4:14am
Hi Jeff,

I use X-plode as my backhand rubber and I also got a sheet of Blitz recently. From my experience they play almost identically. I have a sheet of black blitz and black X-plode in max thickness and the throw of both rubbers is medium high. It doesn't require much adjustment for me to switch between the two rubbers. Are both your sheets of Blitz lower throw than the X-plode? Maybe there is an issue with consistency  of the Blitz sheets. I know that there is always some variation in the playing characteristics of rubber sheets, but usually the throw angle is fairly consistent. I don't know if I am being of much help.

I use Joola express 1 on my forehand and the blitz definitely has a higher throw angle. For me I had to make a slight adjustment to keep the ball down with both X-plode and Blitz.  The only other thing I can think of  to account for the difference in our experience is the effect of the blade on the rubbers. Have you tried the Blitz on a different blade?
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 1:14pm
Given the wildly varying reports of Blitz's throw angle here and on ooak, I am now of the opinion that it's highly subject to each blade's characteristics. Same with regards to spin on serve, where I consider Blitz to be very strong.
BBC, SP, LP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 4:59pm
@ blade: both of my blitz's are lower throw than my X-plodes.  Perhaps I will feel more comfortable with the blitz's when they start softening up.  As of now I have not tried blitz on different blades, just my P700.

@nathanso: I will have to agree with you on the service.  This rubber is fantastic for service!

As for the blade's effect on the rubber, the best way I can describe the P700 is medium stiff, with a medium/soft feel.  Blade what blade are you playing blitz on?
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 12:08am
Where do you guys buy the Palio Blitz? Thanks. Smile
Viscaria
T05/T64
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 1:32am
Originally posted by AllezCho AllezCho wrote:

Where do you guys buy the Palio Blitz? Thanks. Smile

You can buy Blitz from here:
www.ttarmory.com

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 7:34am
is blitz ittf approved because it's not on the list?
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

is blitz ittf approved because it's not on the list?
I noticed that before ,its on the suplier list but not on the approved list,
it probly just missed the last cut off or was left off by mistake
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 8:14am
Skyline

Palio Blitz is an approved rubber, no. 55-006; on the ITTF Racket coverings list, in PDF form; covering 1st July-31 Decenber 2010.

Ignore the "Refer to the PDF for validity" link towards the top of the ITTF Racket coverings page, as it is linked to the out of date Approved list, covering 1st January - 30th June 2010.

Look under the Giant Dragon logo in the right hand column and you'll notice a box underneath, containing the link to download the current approved list; covering 1st July - 31st December 2010.

snake eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 1:09pm
palio Blitz available in ttnpp

Edited by snake eye - 07/20/2010 at 1:11pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 3:33pm
Just bought a very slightly (perhaps 10 mins) used Blitz from Loopmeister - will test it soon on BBC 9-10-9 (or on Nexy Color) and will report back. Hopefully, it is an improvement on PME, or at least as good.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 3:44pm
I'm using Blitz on a 2-speed 9-10-9 (as is Charlie of BBC) and can tell you that it's very good indeed. Compared to PME it has more spin, less boing, and best of all, far more resistance to incoming spin. Try blocking an inbound hook loop straight back to the sender and prepare to be astounded.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I'm using Blitz on a 2-speed 9-10-9 (as is Charlie of BBC) and can tell you that it's very good indeed. Compared to PME it has more spin, less boing, and best of all, far more resistance to incoming spin. Try blocking an inbound hook loop straight back to the sender and prepare to be astounded.

Will gladly do that as soon as I can. Does it indeed feel to you a bit softer than PME 47.5? I am concerned about playing against LPs - usually the softer the rubber, the more your stroke is vulnerable to the spin deception...

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Will gladly do that as soon as I can. Does it indeed feel to you a bit softer than PME 47.5? I am concerned about playing against LPs - usually the softer the rubber, the more your stroke is vulnerable to the spin deception...
I loaned out my PME 47.5* so I can't help you there. I can tell you that Blitz is very resistant to incoming spin; worlds apart from PME 42.5* in that regard.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I loaned out my PME 47.5* so I can't help you there. I can tell you that Blitz is very resistant to incoming spin; worlds apart from PME 42.5* in that regard.

But that is not surprising seeing as how Blitz is much harder than 42.5. I bet you would see comparably same effect by simply playing with PME 47.5... am I right?

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2010 at 12:29pm
Got Blitz from LOOPMEISTER. Looks very fine, but feels a bit softer than PME 47.5. It is confirmed by the results from my friend who measures hardness for me with a durometer. He measured it as being about 2 full degrees softer than PME 47.5. If that is so, it probably will not suit me. But anyways, I will wait until the actual testing phase to update you guys about it.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2010 at 8:46pm
Indeed, Blitz is softer than PME 47.5 - I have no idea why Palio thinks it's the same hardness. Perhaps, formally it is but its porousness and different pip structure makes it play noticeably softer.

Other than that, plays very nice - like a happy medium between PME 47.5 and 42.5. If you wished there was something in the middle - Blitz is for you. Not for me though, I need real 47.5... better yet 48-49. I will be waiting for Thors to test that one as well.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2010 at 10:16pm
I have found after a month of playing (5 hours a session 5-6 times a week) the speed has reduced.  So is it safe to say it slows down after 100 hours of playing?  Has anyone experience anything similar?
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2010 at 10:18pm
yes, with hexer.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 8:49am
I would think that was the tradeoff with ANY ESN product. In fact their website makes it very clear that you can expect high performance, but it will be short lived compared to classic rubbers.

For as much as you play, that sounds about right.

As a point of reference - my 200+ Hour (year old) sheet of mendo 2.0 plays almost identical to my 10 hour sheet of new mendo 2.0.

This rubber is certainly not in the league of Hexer for "easy speed and spin" but I strongly believe that it can go toe to toe on big strokes 5 feet back from the table with out too much difference. I have to work harder to get into the medium sponge, but it keeps giving back.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic