FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How much do you pay for coaching?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 12:37am
Originally posted by keven702 keven702 wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I live in NY, the club that i play in has few coaches and one of them offers lessons for around 40-50$ for an 1 hour.  Higher ranked coaches 2500+ that come once in a while teach for about 60$/hour (one of them is Atanda Musa). The cheaper coaches are mostly chinese (their rating ranges 2200-2400) and charge less for indvi/group lessons and if your a member of the club. We had a 2600~ player from france (Damien Provost) and i think he gave few lessons for 60$/hour.

i was thinking of getting few lessons but none of the coaches ive seen really attract me that much.
it seems like alot of them are focused on making money...

I know I live in Ny also and the coaching price is ridiculous... I would love to take some lessons but its just too expensive.

How many lessons would you have to take to improve your game noticeably? 
which club do u go to?
same, lessons are just to expensive and its hard to tell a difference between a coach that wants to teach you and the coach that wants to make money.

ihavent taken any lessons but i think i should... im not rated, but ive beaten players around 1300-1400... gotten some games off higher ranked players.

Edited by DreiZ - 07/07/2010 at 12:38am
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 8:32am
I think you need to develop a relationship with your coach, bc if you just take a few lessons and want a coach to, say, show you to do a BH loop, then yes s/he can show you how to do BH loop, but knowing how to do it, does not mean you can do it correctly.  You need to practice it for hundreds of hours, if not thousands, and every now and then you still need feedback and correction from coach.

In general, if a coach see that you want to improve, and have a long term commitment. s/he will work hard to help you.  I have work with several coaches, and I find all of them interested in helping me.  They never want to spend too much time doing drills where they think I can do with other partner, bc they think it would be a waist of time and money... 
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 10:19am

I live in NY, the club that i play in has few coaches and one of them offers lessons for around 40-50$ for an 1 hour.  Higher ranked coaches 2500+ that come once in a while teach for about 60$/hour (one of them is Atanda Musa). The cheaper coaches are mostly chinese (their rating ranges 2200-2400) and charge less for indvi/group lessons and if your a member of the club. We had a 2600~ player from france (Damien Provost) and i think he gave few lessons for 60$/hour.

i was thinking of getting few lessons but none of the coaches ive seen really attract me that much.
it seems like alot of them are focused on making money...

I know I live in Ny also and the coaching price is ridiculous... I would love to take some lessons but its just too expensive.

How many lessons would you have to take to improve your game noticeably? 
which club do u go to?
same, lessons are just to expensive and its hard to tell a difference between a coach that wants to teach you and the coach that wants to make money.

ihavent taken any lessons but i think i should... im not rated, but ive beaten players around 1300-1400... gotten some games off higher ranked players.

If you live in NYC its the one in flushing with the yellow sign. I don't go any more because i don't feel like spending 70$ a month  just to play. I lessons are also 50-60$ an hour. I know Shao Yu is one of the coaches there and also a 2600+ player is also a coach there but still the price is ridiculous.
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 10:22am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I think you need to develop a relationship with your coach... 

That's very true. I've been with my current coach for almost a year. $50/hr is quite expensive for me. However, we would start early if I show up early and she would also give me extra time for free if the next person doesn't show up. 
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 11:28am

If you live in NYC its the one in flushing with the yellow sign. I don't go any more because i don't feel like spending 70$ a month  just to play. I lessons are also 50-60$ an hour. I know Shao Yu is one of the coaches there and also a 2600+ player is also a coach there but still the price is ridiculous.

Are you talking about the one on Prince street? I don't live in NYC but visited that club with a friend quite a while ago. It is relatively small and to fit more tables, all tables except one are oriented to the width of the building. I won a couple of points because I drove my friend to the wall...he actually hit the wall the first time LOL 
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 11:37am
Haha , Yea it is pretty cramp in there. I've always wanted to play some where with a lot of space to play and lob Cry.
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 2:30pm
Wow pretty crazy. I'm glad I'm able to get good coaching for cheap. I usually do group lessons (with like 1-3 other people) and it's $5 for an hours worth. Coach is really interested in seeing me and my training partner improve and we sometimes hang out with him outside of the club.
yttrerand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yttrerand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 9:54pm
I pay 40$ a year @ my club. 2 hours a week with maybe 8-10 other peepz.
Sadly, you're only allowed to play @ trainings :s
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:52am
I think a year membership for the club is 780$... You can join a sports club for that money.
quakerroatmeal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quakerroatmeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 3:43am
780$ a year? That's a lot of money, what all does that get you?

I've looked and it averages around 30$-60$ an hour here for private coaching. 

I wish there was a specific table tennis specific club I can pay to play at where coaches there will give you advice/tips/help you out. But all I can find are recreational centers to practice at, the guys there who are better will general give me tips and what not.

But recently a local college is doing a 4 day table tennis camp/clinic that I"ll be going to for 255$ and it's a 3.5 hr each day for 4 days. I'm definitely excited about that. 
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 4:17am
when you say 20 usd, 40 usd, 60usd.. per hour, I cannot imagine how much it is.
Here, 10 USD/hour is more than avarage hour-wage. And coaching cost around 10usd/hour.

However more important than coaching is to have somebody, who will play the ball that way, you need to.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 4:27am
Originally posted by tomas.gt tomas.gt wrote:

when you say 20 usd, 40 usd, 60usd.. per hour, I cannot imagine how much it is.
Here, 10 USD/hour is more than avarage hour-wage. And coaching cost around 10usd/hour.

However more important than coaching is to have somebody, who will play the ball that way, you need to.

7.25 is average minimum wage for most states in the U.S. 
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 4:30am

I think a year membership for the club is 780$... You can join a sports club for that money.

Yea its similar in NYTTF for $800. But you can pay $12 for a whole day at NYTTF. Its better for me, since I don't play a lot.

keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 11:25am
Wow 12$ a day?! thats pretty awesome. Mine is 8$ an hour a person so for one hour for 2 people its 16$
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Yea its similar in NYTTF for $800. But you can pay $12 for a whole day at NYTTF. Its better for me, since I don't play a lot.

do u go to nyttf alot kenney?
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
HyperThyroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HyperThyroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:16pm

Edited by HyperThyroid - 09/05/2010 at 12:55am
flyingmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 12:49pm
$8/hr?  $12/day?!  no wonder table tennis level can't go up in the states.  Can't imagine many young people being able to afford that on their allowances unless their parents are serious about the sport as well.  At the club I play at in California, it's $20/month (Wed/Sat), and the resident coach charges $40/hr.  A couple of clubs within driving distance also have group lessons for $20/hr.  
Ma Lin Soft Carbon: FH: H3 NEO, BH: Red Diamond

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38328&PID=471847#471847
tablet92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tablet92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 2:20pm
I pay 2 $ a month, 2 hours 5 times a week. I play with other players, sometimes with coach, coach always giving tips and saying which drills should we do, but it's only available for juniors. 

Edited by tablet92 - 07/08/2010 at 2:21pm
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2010 at 6:26pm
tablet92 where do you live?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by flyingmachine flyingmachine wrote:

$8/hr?  $12/day?!  no wonder table tennis level can't go up in the states.  Can't imagine many young people being able to afford that on their allowances unless their parents are serious about the sport as well.  At the club I play at in California, it's $20/month (Wed/Sat), and the resident coach charges $40/hr.  A couple of clubs within driving distance also have group lessons for $20/hr.  

Takes too much money to open a table tennis club, tables cost so much, hard to find the space as well, so high prices. And you are right there are hardly any young people in NYC clubs. There are mostly older adults with a few younger children of table tennis parents. And some random people like me who discover the sport. 
quakerroatmeal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quakerroatmeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2010 at 3:28pm
I recently went to Texas Wesleyan University's table tennis camp recently and it was amazing! Well worth every cent of my money. The atmosphere was great, the coaches were wonderful, friendly, and very helpful. If you're ever in Texas during the summer it's well worth it. 
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 1:52am
My experience in coaches in the Pacific Northwest (USA) fits with all lot of prices listed here.  You can get coaches in the 2200-2400 range for around $40/hour and in the $2400+ range for $60 and up.  My recollection is the Stellan Bengtsson, the former world champion and one of the great coaches of the world who now lives in San Diego, charges $80/hour for private lessons.

The thing to recognize about coaches is that it's not enough to have strong technical knowledge.  The best coaches are gifted teachers, in the same sense you might have a wonderful teacher in school.  The understand how their students feel, they can communicate knowledge, and they can make learning fun.  So, for example, I call Stellan a great coach because I know what it takes to be a great teacher, even without discussing his creditentials coaching various great players (Persson, Maze, etc.).
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 2:04am
I wanted to make a separate post to discuss private lessons versus taking camps.  Taking private lessons is the more expensive approach for comparable quality of coaching, but let's suppose for the moment that money is not an issue.  Some people argue that having weekly private lessons is the best way to go because your coaches gets to know you really well and tweak your lessons over time.  However, in a camp you have a more intense immersion in learning.  At a camp (at least, a small camp without too many participants) you spend a lot of time with your coaches and they'll get to know you, too.

Our club has hosted several training camps with Stellan and when I send out announcements, I like to include a quote from Sean O'Neill.  Keep in mind that Sean was a top level American player who was trained in both China and Europe and is a very good coach in his own right.  Here is his quote: "Stellan is by far the best coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with a number of the best Swedish and Chinese coaches of the last 30 years... I want to stress that if you are a serious player or coach you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime if you don't take advantage of this unique opportunity...  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."
Now much of that quote simply speaks to the coaching skills of Stellan, but it also addresses the relative value of attending a camp versus taking weekly private lessons.  Personally, I think I would go for weekly lessons if my coach was at least 2500+ and a very good teacher (such as Sean himself).  Otherwise, I would go for the training camp, especially with Stellan who is incredible (on a scale of 1 to 10, he rates an 11).  Naw, even if I had that 2500+ weekly private coach, I'd probably do that and take the camp with Stellan.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 2:05am
Oh, and just to be fair, we do have another Stellan camp coming up (http://www.wtabletennis.org/stellanCampSummer2010/) and, with any luck, we'll have one next March, too.  However, everything I said here would still be my opinion even without the Stellan camps.
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 2:33am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I wanted to make a separate post to discuss private lessons versus taking camps.  Taking private lessons is the more expensive approach for comparable quality of coaching, but let's suppose for the moment that money is not an issue. 
[snip]
Here is his quote: "Stellan is by far the best coach I have ever worked with and I have worked with a number of the best Swedish and Chinese coaches of the last 30 years... I want to stress that if you are a serious player or coach you are missing an opportunity of a lifetime if you don't take advantage of this unique opportunity...  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."
[snip]
Otherwise, I would go for the training camp, especially with Stellan who is incredible (on a scale of 1 to 10, he rates an 11).  Naw, even if I had that 2500+ weekly private coach, I'd probably do that and take the camp with Stellan.

I can tell your camp is not filled up yet. This is very blatantLOLLOL.

Edited by Takadigi - 07/27/2010 at 2:34am
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Takadigi Takadigi wrote:

I can tell your camp is not filled up yet. This is very blatantLOLLOL.

I plead guilty, but it doesn't change anything I said.  The word choice "blatant" also implies something wrong with pushing the camp, and I don't see any problem with that.  Our club makes no money ($0) on the camp, so if I push the camp, it's because I think it's great.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 5:09am

a quote from Sean O'Neill....  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."

I have to strongly disagree with that, I have been running training camps for 15 yrs and coaching players on a weekly basis throughout that time, and I can assure you there is a limit to what can be absorbed in 5 days, whereas the opportinity of practice/ training presents itself for six days in between weekly sessions, with the opportunity for a coach to monitor progress and adjust and mentor his protege.  If he's stating that the time spent with a coach is equal over the two periods, I would agree, but to propose that the BENEFIT to a player is the same in order to sell places, is IMO missleading, and a sales pitch.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 6:59am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

a quote from Sean O'Neill....  I would guess the 5 days of intense training would be the equivalent of probably 8-10 months of weekly lessons."

I have to strongly disagree with that, I have been running training camps for 15 yrs and coaching players on a weekly basis throughout that time, and I can assure you there is a limit to what can be absorbed in 5 days, whereas the opportinity of practice/ training presents itself for six days in between weekly sessions, with the opportunity for a coach to monitor progress and adjust and mentor his protege.  If he's stating that the time spent with a coach is equal over the two periods, I would agree, but to propose that the BENEFIT to a player is the same in order to sell places, is IMO missleading, and a sales pitch.

5 days=8-10 months of weekly lessons???

Seeing how I have played for roughly 5 year, 8-10 months a year, with out any camps at all, I would be at the same level with a 25 day camp? Highly unlikely!

All though I do believe a camp can be a very good thing to step up in level, I don't think it can replace weekly training and the biggest benefit would probably be a short boost in level, that might be possible to with hold with weekly practice.

APW, nice to see you posting again, it's been a while since the last time I saw you here.
The holy grail
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

As I stated above, our club makes no money on our camps.  More particularly, Sean has no connection to our camps -- he doesn't coach at them and he has no financial connection to them.  So I don't think it's fair to call it a sales pitch.  It's simply his opinion.  Sean himself gives weekly lessons and as the US Paralympic coach spent a lot of time looking to improve the coaching experience for the paralympic players.

The question of how much can be absorbed in a five day camp will depend upon the student.  Such camps can be (if you want) a very intense experience that can lead to breakthroughs that are slower to occur in weekly training.  My personal experience (speaking as the student, not the coach) is that I found I absorbed more through the camp than the weekly lessons and at a better price, too.  Which is why I have no problem with that quote from Sean.

There are other factors here too.  For weekly coaching, you are dependent upon whomever is local to you.  Unless you are really fortunate, that local coach may not be that great.  By comparison, at a camp you might be trained by a superior coach brought from far away just for the camp.  And, as I mentioned, weekly lessons usually add up to quite a bit more money.

If I had a kid I was trying to train, I would do both camps and weekly lessons.  Even if I thought my local (weekly) coach was great, I'd still try to get in the camps because they would expose the kid to different ideas and methods.  In fact, I have a friend who does just that -- he arranged weekly training for his boys, but jumps at the camps as a way to get them an intense experience with a different coach.

If I only had to do one or the other, I would prefer the camps, but go to more than one (at least two a year).  But that's based in part on money.  I had unlimited money and lived in San Diego, I might well just take weekly lessons from Stellan.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2010 at 1:14pm
I live at Houston, TX and play at Houston Table Tennis club right on Boone St. Coach Wang's rating is +2600. A lot of people like the way she teach. She show and correct all your weakness, she teach from FH, BH, push both side, return service, foot work and more for just an hour and the cost is $35 only. She doesn't care the money, she doesn't care you will come back or not, she show and teach you everything at once. Our club are very lucky to had a coach like that. She coach a lot of kid in the club included my daughter. Anne Deng, Judy wang, Richard Deng are cardet player and they were coach from her. hopefully, you will see her soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic