FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

paddle mass and speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Isnt it that in the past heavier blades simply WERE faster - just because the construction of a "fast" blade required using heavier, thicker woods? Looks to me that this observation was indeed true by just coincidence and now become obsolete with the rise of light composite materials.

edit: and that it is the “correlation does not imply causation” kind of problem.

I think this is a accurate statement :), pretty hard to make a blade faster from the same tree unless you use a denser and heavier selection of wood. But that all goes out the window with super hard non wood materials

BH-man I can see how a heavier blade might make a more consistant shot just because once it's moving it's less likely to move and probably accelerates in a more consistant way but being able to vary the angle on the blade just before you hit the ball and while you are hitting the ball is a nice thing also. In the end everyone should play with what makes them play the best. But I just don't like the idea that there are people out there missing out on a good thing so I'm trying to share the theory that light blades are good, for the people that haven't realised it yet, that's all :) 
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

I always switch between blades during practice to get a feel for what I can do with each one, I can consistently swing much faster, hit the ball harder and get more spin with a light balsa blade 100% of the time all the time. Not only that I can block balls I otherwise wouldn't' have timed well. So I agree with you on this one :). Also like you say it's MUCH easier on your wrist and shoulder which means you can hit more high speed big winning shots than you can with a heavier blade, it's a huge advantage over a two day tournament. I think any blade over 80 grams is in the too heavy range

If you get along with such light blades and bat weights, moar power to you my man. I recently had a TBS that felt under 90 grams, so I agreed to mail it off oversees to another forum mmeber for his heavier TBS. I add grip tape and heavy Tenergy and Chinese rubber max thick. I don't have a scale, but I would not be surprised if the weight of the bat is over 200 grams. Yet, it feels so balanced, it doesn't feel all that heavy at all. Zero issues with the weight. In fact, when I was using Lissom, a blade at least 10 grams lighter, I really missed the solidness, but Lissom taught me to value setting up shots for higher percentage finish. Now I have the TBS back in the fight, I am better for the experience and can do more. I don't regret using the setup that was easily under 180 grams, but I feel very well using my HEAVY as brick TBS setup and am happy as a kid with sliced cheese for teh first time.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 8:19pm

Here is a thing that I saw in person. No guessing.

My partner had two of the same blades. One weighed 99gm, one 103. Both played like OFF+.  One was for a spare. He wanted a third and asked Paddla Palace to pick the lightest one they had in stock. They sent one that was 74. The first two played very much the same as each other. This one was like a defensive blade. All three looked the same and the same kind of wood. Same rubber on all three. The light one obviously had less dense wood to make it so light.     

Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 7:00pm

Isnt it that in the past heavier blades simply WERE faster - just because the construction of a "fast" blade required using heavier, thicker woods? Looks to me that this observation was indeed true by just coincidence and now become obsolete with the rise of light composite materials.

edit: and that it is the “correlation does not imply causation” kind of problem.

Edited by Krantz - 10/28/2010 at 7:17pm
davidzou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidzou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 6:12pm
lawl at infinite loops one post *screencap*
Chopin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:56pm
I think I'd be more inclined to look at Newtons laws of motion as opposed to just C.O.R.

Edit: What you will most likely find is that is an effective weight range for speed for most human beings and that range will differ depending onthe individuals strength, power etc:

I would also point out that imo table tennis isn't only about speed, other factors play a part in the game too and a balance needs to be struck.

Edited by Chopin - 10/28/2010 at 6:04pm
Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:55pm
let's assume no footwork;
also spinless still serves.
donkeys wonder I, dork,
ought to have some steel nerves.
Wacko
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

...He is right about the equation.  If that is all he is saying, then it is not particularly relevant to understanding how the weight of a blade affects the way people actually play table tennis.  To dismiss the effect that the blade has on the player, and in particular the weight of the blade, is to make the entire discussion utterly worthless...  

This is pretty much my concern. I appreciate the "tidbit" of info that the equation supplies, but the "irrelevant distractions" are not so irrelevant, IMO.

Although they may be distracting, they're only "distracting" insofar as they demonstrate that this equation is a totally incomplete statement with regard to the big picture. Although it is certainly "true", it doesn't seem to be particularly "interesting".

In any case, I still enjoyed the thread. Thumbs Up

I think this post sums it all up nicely... and humorously:

Originally posted by infinite_loop infinite_loop wrote:

A group of wealthy investors wanted to be able to predict the outcome of a horse race. So they hired a group of biologists, a group of statisticians, and a group of physicists. Each group was given a year to research the issue. After one year, the groups all reported to the investors. The biologists said that they could genetically engineer an unbeatable racehorse, but it would take 200 years and $100 billion. The statisticians reported next. They said that they could predict the outcome of any race, at a cost of $100 million per race, and they would only be right 10% of the time. Finally, the physicists reported that they could also predict the outcome of any race, and that their process was cheap and simple. The investors listened eagerly to this proposal. The head physicist reported, "We have made several simplifying assumptions. First, let each horse be a perfect rolling sphere . . ."

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:59pm
He is right about the equation.  If that is all he is saying, then it is not particularly relevant to understanding how the weight of a blade affects the way people actually play table tennis.  To dismiss the effect that the blade has on the player, and in particular the weight of the blade, is to make the entire discussion utterly worthless.  I'm through with this thread.  
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:38pm

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:23am
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

It's only relating the simple physics. Not the more complex and unpredictable biophysics and neurophysiological terms that are being brought up again.
And again and again and again..............
Finally, someone that understands.

Everything else is a distraction.  This isn't a matter of disagreeing or agreeing with me.  I did not make this up.  It just the way it is.

First, I want to state up front that I very much enjoy and appreciate this post and the subsequent discussion (even if the participants are at times irritable). Wink

Second, I haven't read every single post on this thread (but I have read many), so forgive me if I'm missing something.

And finally third, what I'm about to ask is motivated by sincere curiosity and is not meant to be disrespectful or unnecessarily provocative to any of the involved parties.

So, with my caveats out of the way...

I'm wondering if the intent of this post could be made clearer. The reason I ask is because, in spite of pnachtwey's frustrations, the post seems to lend itself quite readily to the "misunderstandings" or variations of interpretation that keep arising. Let me explain...

I understand that the above equations are accounting for very precise things and the results are just math--firm deductions describing the way things are--as it pertains solely to paddle mass and return speed of the ball. However, people keep bringing up other variables that are perhaps involved in return speed. I agree that these other variables are irrelevant to the equation modeling paddle mass and return speed, but these other variables are not irrelevant to the "bigger picture" of return speed, so to speak.

So, I'm not sure what the point is, other than to say this: "When taking into account an incomplete number of variables involved in the return speed of the ball, we can see that paddle mass makes little difference." That may be true, but I fail to see how it's saying anything terribly profound. In addition, it seems understandable that it inspires others to bring up other variables that this particular model does not take into account. I think that is perfectly reasonable.

To some people (including me, initially) it simply looks like pnachtwey is using a particular equation to substantiate the claim that lighter blades are better. This claim may or may not be true, but I certainly don't think this equation alone is indisputable evidence for such a claim. (And perhaps I'm wrong and that isn't pnachtwey's intent at all... which is why I'm asking for clarification of his intent.) Smile

So yes, I can see why some of the physics dudes here keep face-palming when others bring up variables that this particular equation isn't meant to address.

However, I can also see why others insist on bringing up the non-addressed variables because those are important to the bigger picture if any interesting knowledge is to be discussed.

So after that long-winded spiel, I guess what I'm trying to ask--in the most respectful way possible--is this:

What's your point, pnachtwey? Smile

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 2:53pm
as

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:23am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 1:47pm
I think the issue is, the only really sensible way to make a high performance light weight blade is with balsa and some composites and to people that are used to playing with "proper wood" that feels very alien. Also unless you are playing with a ALL speed balsa the blade is going to be stiff more things a lot of people aren't going to like. If you are going to use a balsa blade you start to relate blade feel not to how the blade bends or how it vibrates because with most balsa's they simply don't bend and don't vibrate. So you start to relate feel to how the immovable object of the blade transfers the ball feel into your hand.

When I use a 5 ply blade it feels *very* bendy like I'm playing table tennis with a sheet of rubber, 7 plys feel like I'm playing with a sheet of lead, still bendy a bit but verrrrrry heavy. Then when I go back to a balsa it feels like I'm not playing with anything pretty much just hitting the ball with your hand, I like that :). It also lets me use big heavy powerful rubbers (that you can use the faster swing to an advantage with) and still ending up with a much lighter than normal combo. Anyway just as I have collected a few 5 plys and 7 plys and carbon wood blades just so I know how it is. I think all proper wood users should at least have a good balsa in their collection just to see how it is, I'm sure quite a few would end up making the switch. Pretty much anything with balsa + carbon/glass + a decent layer of limba is awesome :)

Edited by nicefrog - 10/28/2010 at 1:50pm
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 1:23pm
The original post had nothing to do when the person swinging the racket. It was only based on the racket mass, racket speed, ball mass, and ball speed. It's true some people prefer varying weights (for whatever reason) and some may not be able to swing the racket as fast as others. However, that was not the intent of the post. The intent was to relate variables that are absolutely controllable and repeatable. Whatever rubber was being used was kept constant for each weight and I'm assuming that the little things (like color and stamp on the ball) are negligible or included in the COR term.

It's only relating the simple physics. Not the more complex and unpredictable biophysics and neurophysiological terms that are being brought up again.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 12:17pm
A group of wealthy investors wanted to be able to predict the outcome of a horse race. So they hired a group of biologists, a group of statisticians, and a group of physicists. Each group was given a year to research the issue. After one year, the groups all reported to the investors. The biologists said that they could genetically engineer an unbeatable racehorse, but it would take 200 years and $100 billion. The statisticians reported next. They said that they could predict the outcome of any race, at a cost of $100 million per race, and they would only be right 10% of the time. Finally, the physicists reported that they could also predict the outcome of any race, and that their process was cheap and simple. The investors listened eagerly to this proposal. The head physicist reported, "We have made several simplifying assumptions. First, let each horse be a perfect rolling sphere . . ."
conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 11:30am
I don't want to beat this argument.  IMO, it's all personal preference.  However, I can say that lighter blades absolutely let me swing and execute faster on various strokes.  The two biggest examples I can think of are Maze/Boll style pendulum service, and flips... a lighter setup helps big.

But even in a standard loop, the reality is that one essentially drops the paddle below the ball then uses their muscles to stop the blade from falling and accelerate it upward to meet the ball and go through it...  Even at the point that we make contact with the ball, I'm pretty sure we're not hitting "terminal velocity" so to speak, and are still accelerating through.  So therefore a lighter setup helps even there.

IMO, the best way to reduce the weight of the setup is a lighter blade.  Lighter rubbers have too many drawbacks, generally including poorer performance and durability.  Choosing lighter rubbers probably reduces weight by 10g max, but choosing a lighter blade is much more significant.
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 11:21am
Kinetic balls.  Get over it....
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 11:02am
as

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:22am
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:41am
Dont we have to keep in mind that rubbers dont give the same result on all the paddles? Sometimes a lighter one is harder/softer which results in more/less dwell, more/less catapult.

Its all about preferences.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:32am
as

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:21am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 9:15am
I've played with 100 gram blades before and 70 gram ones over the years but I've come to the conclusion the lighter blades are much superior, yes sure you don't get the "feeling" and they kick in your hand blocking, but to me after being used to them for so long now, that's all part of the charm.

I would recommend anyone that doesn't think the weight of the blade limits the maximum human arm speed to swing the motion of a backhand loop as fast as you can with your hand open. You _should_ be able to swing that fast enough to make loud swishing sounds and give yourself a very uncomfortable pain in your hand and fingers from the blood flowing to the ends of them, you cant accelerate your arm to that speed with a bat in it no matter the weight of the blade. For every few grams you add, the slower the top speed is.

On a slightly other note, I recently realised you can easily test the maximum spin potential of a rubber/blade by hitting a backhand chop as far and hard as you can, the more spin on the ball the longer it will fly, quite an accurate test!

Edited by nicefrog - 10/28/2010 at 9:18am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 7:59am
Human body can only move (accelerate) so fast, and one can easily max-out the speed even with no training.  So this mean that even if you are playing with extremely light setup, you are not going to gain any speed in your swing (it's already max-out), so by adding weight, you can add more force\energy into your swing.  Of cource at a certain weight, the speed of your swing will start to drop, and I think this is your optimum weight to generate the maximum force\energy.

I am playing well for setup between 178-184 grams.  The lightest setup I have is 167 grams, I can't even play with it, the ball kick-back is too much, and there is no feel for me.  I had to change the FH rubbers to a heavier one, and gain up to 174 grams, then I can play with it better.  My 'current' heaviest setup is the 101 grams Mazunov blade, with rubbers (Sriver EL + Black Power) weight 194 grams total, I think it is a little too heavy for me, but I keep coming back to it, bc the Mazunov is just a wonderful blade, but that is another story...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:08am
The only thing I have been trying to say is that the "feel" is something very real indeed, and it has a scientific basis too, one that I think is based on the physiology of motor control.  There is a reason why a 95 gram and an 80 g blade both feel awful to me and really do degrade my performance.  I certainly am not disputing the point made about COR.  I suspect it is one of the factors in table tennis, but I'm not sure how important it is.  When a player feels like they get a more powerful shot (using the term in a table tennis as opposed to a physics context) with a heavier blade, they may or may not actually impart more velocity and angular momentum to the ball.  But it may feel to the player like they are using less effort to do it (and this could be true even if they are actually expending more energy to accelerate a heavier blade to the same speed).  This feel could come from using a more optimal set of motor units (spinal motor neurons), and also to optimize proprioceptive control of the muscle, which also is affected by loading.  These are two of the reasons why the weight of the blade affects a player's timing of the shot and and affects one's ability to determine whether the ball hits in the optimal place on the blade at the right angle and with the right trajectory for the shot being attempted.  The body is making a really complicated calculation.  It is really unbelievable when you think about it what we are all able to do.

There is another point that has to be made.  Most of the players on this forum can sense a fast blade and a slow blade.   The differences between, say, a Schlager Carbon blade and a Petr Korbel both with 2.1 mm Tenergy 05 would feel like really big differences and would be agreed to in blind tests by nearly everyone on this forum.  And yet, the COR of these setups would probably not be very different if you actually measured it.  In fact, I can tell the difference between my two almost identical Viscaria blades with the same rubber!  Obviously they are made of wood so they are not identical.  To me, they feel ever so slightly different when I play with them, and this difference persists with repeated changes of rubbers.  I'm not quite sure what aspect of the blades I am perceiving.  They are about a gram different in weight.  It's probably not the weight that makes them feel a little different (or then again maybe that's all it is).  I am willing to bet that most of the players on this forum who have more than one blade of the same model have one that they prefer, or at least they are more used to.   Sensory-motor systems are pretty sensitively tuned things when people do something as difficult as playing table tennis or music!
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 12:49am
as

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 9:28pm
I bet there are many blades that I can accelerate the same.

It is safe to say that given 2 rubbers and a type of blade design, to maximize speed we should play with the heaviest blade we can accelerate the same than its (1 gram) lighter sister.

In other words speed being the goal, if we add weight to a blade and can't accelerate it the same than a 1 gram lighter blade then we have reached optimum weight with the lighter blade.

did I get it right?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

The formula simply make it clear that choosing a heavier paddle will result in insignificant more ball speed after impact IF you can accelerate the paddle to the same velocity as a lighter paddle.

I do not dispute this, and the IF you mention is unlikely to be a problem for most people unless they are really young or have some painful injuries they are dealing with. 

You them SEEM to conclude that the weight of the blade is therefore not a factor in how much penetration a player can get on a shot -- ball velocity, spin, etc.  I disagree with that because the weight of the blade matters a lot for making things optimal with respect to timing, hitting the sweet spot, racket angle etc. for a variety of reasons relating to optimal loading of a muscle for fine control, while not providing a temptation to rush.  My only point is that too light or too heavy are bad for optimizing all the other things that make a good shot and that different people will have different optima -- but that high-level players often use a bit heavier than you might expect.   
remmpfremm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote remmpfremm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 7:43pm
The low influence of the paddle mass on the result of the formula
has to do  with the facts  that

1) the ball mass  is  small compared to the paddle mass
2) it is assumed that the paddle speed is the same for all paddle masses.

Point 1) is just a fact.
Concerning 2) ,   it might be  more realistic to assume that the impulse (product of speed and mass)
that a player can generate will be  constant, i.e.,  if the mass doubles, the speed will be only half.
(This is also only a rough approximation, since heavier weight will result in higher muscle activation etc.) Using constant paddle impulse p in the formula will give a paddle speed  v_p_0 =  p/m_p
(impulse divided my paddle mass)  in the formula, depending on the paddle mass m_p,
as opposed to   constant paddle speed.
The resulting curve will then show more  dependence on the paddle mass.
B.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 3:46pm
The rule I was referring to is a hypothetical one that might say something like "a light paddle is always better for every player" which is obviously nonsense since a beginner like yourself likes light blades, as do people prone to shoulder or wrist problems; whereas the 2530 player in my club plays with something really really heavy.  I thought it was clear enough.  You seem to think that this is not an opinion and there are hard and fast rules about this.  Something about your reasoning must be wrong because as I already noted, there are virtually no professional players who play with super light blades.  Their livelihood depends on getting it right, and even if they are completely innumerate, they know from experience what works for them. 

And no, it cannot be all reduced to physics unless you think that it is all due to the paddle and the player has nothing to do with it.  Of course ultimately, the laws of physics govern the universe including the player, but the player remains far too complex for physical modeling.  In other words, sensory and motor physiology and psychophysics are equally important.  Good luck modeling it.

The reality is that with all of your posts about coefficient of restitution etc. focus entirely on the interaction of the ball with the paddle and completely ignore the interaction between the player and the paddle.  They also assume that every ball hits the ideal location on the racket.  Nobody hits cleanly every time, certainly not somebody who lists one of his blades as a "ball whacker".  It then becomes important to ask some questions about what governs that.  I would argue that racket speed can often be excessive and leads to mistiming, missed shots, bad tactics, and "ball whacking".  
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2010 at 12:01am
as

Pioneer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pioneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 11:11pm
IMO the lighter the better ... so I agree with you Clap
Blade: Timo Boll ZLF ST
My Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic