FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

paddle mass and speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 11:03pm
There is no one size fits all rule about these things.  It can't all be reduced to physics, though.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

There is no point in getting a heavier paddle unless you just like the feel

Perhaps if you are only considering the physics of the blade, but a lot of people like the feel.  I think it is because proper timing of the swing and backswing means fewer mish*ts and hence better shots.  There is also a neurophysiological principle at work.  If your blade is too heavy, you are using larger "motor units" (defined as a spinal motoneuron and all of the muscle fibers it innervates). As you increase the strength of a contraction, you gradually recruit larger and larger motorunits, so the gradations of contraction--the bit resolution as it were-- get steadily larger.  That is why when muscles are very heavily loaded and you need to use almost all of your motor units to lift or move an object, you have almost no motor control and you tend to have tremor with any fatigue at all.  This means that if your blade is too heavy you will lose fine motor control.  If the blade is too light, you will have very fine motor control but the lightness may well result in a tendency to rush your stroke, not hit the ball on the sweet spot of the blade, and then you are messed up.

Professional players (shakehands) almost always use blade that are 85 grams or more and they use maximum thickness and often quite heavy rubbers.  They do not use the ultralight  blades some companies sell.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 8:24pm
I always switch between blades during practice to get a feel for what I can do with each one, I can consistently swing much faster, hit the ball harder and get more spin with a light balsa blade 100% of the time all the time. Not only that I can block balls I otherwise wouldn't' have timed well. So I agree with you on this one :). Also like you say it's MUCH easier on your wrist and shoulder which means you can hit more high speed big winning shots than you can with a heavier blade, it's a huge advantage over a two day tournament. I think any blade over 80 grams is in the too heavy range

Edited by nicefrog - 10/26/2010 at 8:25pm
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 7:30pm
Clap
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2010 at 6:51pm
as

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/20/2012 at 4:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic