FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Forum testing: Giant Dragon TopENERGY rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum testing: Giant Dragon TopENERGY rubbers
    Posted: 10/28/2010 at 3:48pm
These are two new rubbers manufactured by Giant Dragon. Ztabletennis.com (represented at our forum by conradsong) would like to send them to be tested at MTTN.

Links:

TopENERGY Hard
TopENERGY Soft

Please people! calm down and form the queues: Wink

TopENERGY Hard:

Black

1. beeray1
2. mon22
3. ckm423

Red

1. thethinker
2. mmerkel
3. rawrtje

TopENERGY Soft:

1. jt99sf
2. JimT
3. metallikviper
4. hulkpens
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 3:49pm
top energy hard, bam. put me down for black if it's tacky. Red if it's grippy.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 3:59pm
I'll try the soft please.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:09pm
Hopefully, Mr Song will tell us more - tackiness, weight, real hardness, etc. Or we will find out by ourselves. Wink

conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 4:38pm
Ok, ok.

So we received an early sample of TopENERGY Hard and Soft about a month or two ago. 
The black rubbers come with a cool looking purple sponge, and the red's with an orange.  There is no way to visually distinguish the hard vs soft sponge except for the back marking.  The rubbers come vacuum sealed and like the DHS rubbers are preglued on the sponge side (so you only need to glue the blade).  Unlike the other Giant Dragon rubbers, these do NOT come with a glue sheet, and use of a latex water-based voc free glue is highly recommended.

TopENERGY topsheet is grippy but non tacky, meaning there wasn't a 'stick' as we normally get with tacky rubbers.  The rubber will still grip and pick up a ball for a very short time when squeezed -- assume this is the G.A.T. effect Giant Dragon talks about.

The sponge hardness for TopENERGY Hard was around O47 on a DHS/Butterfly scale and O42-43 for the soft.  To compare to an German ESN tensor, their 47.5 degree hardness measures more like a O38-39.  I do not know what the current batch of TopENERGY sponge hardness is, assume it is the same.  Despite what appears to be ridiculously hard, the play of the rubbers is much softer than the sponge advertises... can only assume it is due to the factory glue effect combined with the hybrid natural rubber compound topsheet.  Topsheet quality is extremely high.

Weight is on the heavy side... probably >50g cut.  Unfortunately, did not get a good chance to weigh the topsheet before our local enthusiastic reseller glued TopENERGY to an old Endless Defensive blade -- I can safely say that it was a mistake... shots were like hitting golf balls.  We then transferred the rubber to a stiff balsa carbon, and whamo... things were just zinging ridiculously quick and the arcs on loops was insane... things were bending in that we simply thought would go long.  The throw of the rubber is also higher than any of the other Giant Dragon rubbers.  Minuses would be the weight and the lack of a slow gear... we definitely had early problems with over the table touch shots, coming from Karate and TaiChi. 

After that, the rubbers stayed in the club for a few more days, and that was the last I saw of it.  We'll be opening up a sheet or two to take more artwork... so we'll get more weight and sponge hardness measurements.

Edited by conradsong - 10/28/2010 at 10:56pm
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:11pm
Hard rubber with spin bending balls like crazy? Count me in for a 2.15 red, hard version.
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 5:24pm
Please include me for the Black 2.15mm Soft version.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:06pm
seeing as how the rubbers are higher throw, heavy and have strange hardness characteristic, i will move myself to the Soft queue. Sorry guys...

beeray1, jt99sf - please PM Mr. Song your address, rubber name, color and thickness you prefer.

I would really appreciate if you mailed me the cutout pieces from the rubbers (in case of Soft, jt99sf, please just mail them to me with the rubber after your testing is done; or of you will keep it, just the cuts). I intend to measure the hardness with the same durometer as usual.

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:18pm
Put me in the queue for the hard version please. I need to try something in the harder sponge category for my Virtuoso.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:20pm
Sign me up for the Hard version please.  I love tacky hard rubbers on  my FH
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2010 at 10:24pm
Please put me on the queue for Hard~
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 12:54am
I'll still try black, hard. I'll PM the adress to conrad song.

Edited by beeray1 - 10/29/2010 at 12:57am
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 12:57am
also I'll give Red Soft a try after everyone has had their way with it, if possible JimT.

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 1:56am
I nominate NDragon for the purple sponge, he has a fetish for nice coloured sponge
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 2:07am
I don't want to derail this thread, but all I want to say is that I look forward to hearing the reviews of these rubbers.

I'm currently using Tai Chi Hard and I'm extremely happy with it!

So I have nothing but high hopes for these new rubbers.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 2:25am
TopENERGY - lowercase = TENERGY. Deliberate? Shocked

Edited by rawrtje - 10/29/2010 at 2:25am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 2:42am
Of course, but do you think they care :p I don't. They might as well have called it T.ENERGY
hulkpens View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkpens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 2:49am
Would like to try TopEnergy soft.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 2:24pm
So there is a Hard 2.15mm Black going to beeray1.  Awaiting info on the soft.  Thanks.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 3:26pm
Updated the queue.

John (jt99sf) did you PM the info to Mr. Song?

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Updated the queue.

I just did it, thanks for the reminder.Tongue
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:24pm
I want to here how this turns out. I'd like to hear the characteristics of play. It if's similar to Tenergy, I think this will be a viable alternative for a high quality rubber for less. SmileSmile
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Updated the queue.

I just did it, thanks for the reminder.Tongue
Ok so it's:
hard black max to beeray1.
soft black max to jt99sf.
ckm423 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckm423 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 4:37pm
I want to try the TopENERGY Hard!
Yasaka Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2
BH: Donic Acuda S2 2.0mm
USATT:1876
My Feedback!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 7:59pm
Funny how we had to search and request people to try Karate and Taichi half a year ago. And now when people here more or less know that GD makes very decent rubbers - finally we get a couple of very nice long queues! Let's do it!

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 9:53pm

Funny how we had to search and request people to try Karate and Taichi half a year ago. And now when people here more or less know that GD makes very decent rubbers - finally we get a couple of very nice long queues! Let's do it!

I've been meaning to write a review of Tai Chi Hard but I'm having trouble finding the time. Soon, hopefully. In any case, I would go so far as to say that, if my sheet of Tai Chi Hard is representative of all sheets of Tai Chi Hard and of Giant Dragon quality in general, then Giant Dragon is by leaps and bounds the highest quality Chinese company that I've encountered... far superior to DHS, even.

Tai Chi Hard is the most versatile Chinese rubber (i.e., hard and tacky rubber) that I've tried--ever--in my long history as an unapologetic EJ. It does every single thing I ask of it. When a mistake is made, I know it is mine and not the rubber's. I can't ask for much more. Thumbs Up

The only caveats that I would add is that I've only tried one sheet. I'm hoping the characteristics from sheet to sheet don't vary drastically, like some other brands... *cough cough* DHS! *cough cough* Also, I haven't tried Tai Chi Hard on anything but my XIOM V1, so there could be a combination factor. Nonetheless, I love this rubber and if this product is representative of their other products then I look forward to some smiling faces in the reviews to come.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 12:54am
I will be waiting for the reviews.Smile
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 4:24am
No Anton, the sheet of TCh I've reviewed is also of very high quality. So I think GD's QC is much better than DHS. I am sure GD rubbers have the best glue feel of all the Chinese rubbers.

...and I am sure GD don't have to copy Tenergy so the name must have other meanings.

Edited by thethinker - 10/30/2010 at 4:28am
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 4:34am
Are these comparable in speed to something like Red Diamond or Whale II ?
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 12:27pm

Here are the latest measurements from two sheets we just opened:

TopENERGY Black 2.15mm Hard: 170x170mm, 78.7g uncut, O40.
TopENERGY Red 2.15 Soft: 170x170mm, 70.65g uncut, O35

The sponge hardness is much more to the normal than the earlier samples we hand.  I will note that I did the early sample sponge measurements after it had been heavily glued, but also suspect that it has been toned down somewhat - another distributor reported an early TopENERGY hard at 45degrees.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic