FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

A softer Timo Boll spirit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A softer Timo Boll spirit
    Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:02pm
I just managed to slice my TBS's third and middle ply from each other while saving a net ball. It is not totally unplayable, which means i have to buy a new blade. I actually liked the TBS, but i did not consider it perfect. It was too stiff and a little feeling. And i also felt that it offered little dwell at times.

So I've been looking into buying a new blade, and Viscaria seems very tempting! After what I've read it is exactly what im looking for, but i was wondering: are there any other blades similar to TBS (5ply+2 a/c) that are also softer with more dwell and feel? I would not want to sacrifice too much speed on this one. On my list now is now only Viscaria and M.Maze.

So how is viscaria compared to Maze? Are there any other good 5+2 a/c blades?

(Also i read that there are many fake butterfly stuff going around (TBS and Viscaria). What websites should i avoid?)

Edited by Asaomi - 11/14/2010 at 1:51pm
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
Sponsored Links

Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:06pm
i dont know about a/c blades....but timo boll spark is 5 ply thin blade with arylate and is a GREAT looping blade with fantastic dwell....off- rating
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:18pm
Nitakku Rutis! It's a 3ply+2Gcarbon however I switched to it from the TBS (which I feel is something of a close cousin) because it offered better feel. 
Rutis
FH: H3
BH: T64
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Erikson45 Erikson45 wrote:

Nitakku Rutis! It's a 3ply+2Gcarbon however I switched to it from the TBS (which I feel is something of a close cousin) because it offered better feel. 

Tell me more about rutis!

I remember i was looking into Nittaku rutis a while back, but from what i read it was too thin (especially handle, but it also says that it is 5.5mm thickness, TBS is 5.7). This meant that many said it was head heavy and also not too much dwell beacuse of the 3+2 composite. Can you share you opinion of dwell and feel? I have for instance heard that even though the blade has flex (due to thin blade), it has a hard surface and is not ideal for looping, but more for hitting and driving. Also, how fast is rutis compared to other blades, espesially TBS?

Edited by Asaomi - 11/14/2010 at 1:50pm
Butterfly Viscaria
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:41pm
I hear the timo boll zlf is slower but offers more feel and control
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:46pm

Edited by Asaomi - 11/14/2010 at 1:49pm
Butterfly Viscaria
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:49pm
  I would suggest Keyshot Light or Timo Boll Spark if you can find one

Edited by jpenmaster - 11/14/2010 at 1:56pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:55pm
zlf and m. maze.  ZLF is also a bit slower but Maze got more dwell and is a bit softer...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 1:59pm
maze = little stiffer, softer feel
viscaria = very slightly flexier, very slightly softer feel. extremely similar
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

maze = little stiffer, softer feel
viscaria = very slightly flexier, very slightly softer feel. extremely similar

what about speed and power?
Butterfly Viscaria
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 3:13pm
Well, I feel as though the Rutis is very versatile in that it adapts to the amount of power you input making it good for both drives and soft shots. It's supposedly a stiff blade, however I feel as though its very soft and that it provides a longer dwell time than the TBS. It's also very stable, light, and I would classify it as a medium fast blade. It's just a terrific blade in general and has become something of a staple blade in my club, but if its a power boost you're looking for, the TBS is a better option. 
The only problem I see with it though is that its handle is very thin and may be uncomfortable to some Confused
Rutis
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 3:29pm
if the tbs is a 80/100, the viscaria is a 75. almost no difference whatsoever. the maze is a very different blade actually, but in my experience also plays about a 75. it is definitely an almost insurmountable amount slower than the tbs, just like the viscaria, but with a much different stiffer, softer feel than the viscaria/tbs/tbalc; all of which are close to identical.

fyi, the contruction of the blades are

viscaria: koto alc limba balsa limba alc koto
tbs: koto alc limba kiri limba alc koto (kiri is just a tad denser and stiffer than balsa)
tb alc: koto alc limba kiri limba alc koto
maze limba alc limba ayous limba lalc limba (limba being much softer than koto, and ayous being much denser than balsa but still relatively soft)

all ~identical in thickness and construction
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 3:31pm

Well, I feel as though the Rutis is very versatile in that it adapts to the amount of power you input making it good for both drives and soft shots. It's supposedly a stiff blade, however I feel as though its very soft and that it provides a longer dwell time than the TBS. It's also very stable, light, and I would classify it as a medium fast blade. It's just a terrific blade in general and has become something of a staple blade in my club, but if its a power boost you're looking for, the TBS is a better option. 
The only problem I see with it though is that its handle is very thin and may be uncomfortable to some Confused

Remember that stiff/flexible is different to hard/soft. For instance my clipper is soft, but stiff (not flexible) and my offensive CR is soft and flexible, while i consider TBS to be pretty hard (a little too hard) and stiff.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34532&PN=1
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35996&PID=442131

Did you, by very soft, mean very flexible?

Edited by Asaomi - 11/14/2010 at 3:40pm
Butterfly Viscaria
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

if the tbs is a 80/100, the viscaria is a 75. almost no difference whatsoever. the maze is a very different blade actually, but in my experience also plays about a 75. it is definitely an almost insurmountable amount slower than the tbs, just like the viscaria, but with a much different stiffer, softer feel than the viscaria/tbs/tbalc; all of which are close to identical.

fyi, the contruction of the blades are

viscaria: koto alc limba balsa limba alc koto
tbs: koto alc limba kiri limba alc koto (kiri is just a tad denser and stiffer than balsa)
tb alc: koto alc limba kiri limba alc koto
maze limba alc limba ayous limba lalc limba (limba being much softer than koto, and ayous being much denser than balsa but still relatively soft)

all ~identical in thickness and construction

Hmm...looks like its between stiff and soft or flexible and hard...or maaaaybe soft and flexible.

I previously owned Hurricane King old version and liked it, i would characterize the HK as rather hard with some flex. This is one of the reasons i think i may like Rutis.

But i also like my clipper, which is soft but stiff. The problem with the clipper was that it was too thick and heavy. So i think i will be liking maze as well if i got one.

But viscaria is like a softer TBS, which is actually exactly what im looking for!

AMAGAD!!1 maybe ill just buy all three....

Where is a good place to buy butterflyblades that are genuine but at the same time reasonable?

Edited by Asaomi - 11/14/2010 at 3:54pm
Butterfly Viscaria
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

Remember that stiff/flexible is different to hard/soft. For instance my clipper is soft, but stiff (not flexible) and my offensive CR is soft and flexible, while i consider TBS to be pretty hard (a little too hard) and stiff.

My apologies LOL I meant stiff/flexible. I have also tried the clipper (no wrb) and I found it too stiff and I found the TBS to be a bit too hard and not as flexible for many shots. I've heard many good things about the viscaria though, that it may be an intermediate between the rutis and the TBS however I have not had the opportunity to try it yet. Disapprove
Rutis
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:26pm

My apologies LOL I meant stiff/flexible. I have also tried the clipper (no wrb) and I found it too stiff and I found the TBS to be a bit too hard and not as flexible for many shots. I've heard many good things about the viscaria though, that it may be an intermediate between the rutis and the TBS however I have not had the opportunity to try it yet. Disapprove

You got me very interested in the rutis, especially since we have very similar opinions about both TBS and clipper.

I have already read that even though it offers lots of flex, it has a hard surface. A hard surface may often result in less spin on shots like opening spin loops and short balls. Do you feel that it is less spin in your balls compared to TBS?

Also, how is the dwell time? Dwell is often based on top ply and rutis' is pretty hard from what ive heard. Do you feel like it is so hard that the ball sometimes just dives into the net in rallies? I must admit i do feel this sometimes even with TBS, which is considered medium hard.
Butterfly Viscaria
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:37pm
I have the Timo Boll ZLF (penhold version) and it is softer than the Spirit with a lot more feeling, flex, and dwell time. It is slightly slower, more like an OFF-. And it's thin which I like for RPB. It's my favorite looping blade with T05 and H3 Neo. Throw is nice and high, blade has a little catapult effect of its own as well.

Edited by cotdt - 11/14/2010 at 4:45pm
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 4:54pm
Well, the Rutis is a very versatile blade. It also depends on the rubbers you pair it with along with other variables but it feels as if the ball really digs into it. Well, I guess the diving into net thing is sorta arbitrary since there are so many factors that could contribute to that such as technique, position, rubber, etc and I don't think that there is less spin either when comparing the two. What I feel is pertinent about this blade is that the Rutis has better control than the TBS and thus could possibly contribute towards a more stable game. 

Something else to consider: Ma Long used the Rutis before switching to the TBS post Yokohama, mainly because the TBS is something like a step up from the Rutis with more power although less feeling I believe. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2010 at 7:21pm
Viscaria
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Viscaria

where are good online stores to acquire the Viscaria for a reasonable money?
Butterfly Viscaria
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2010 at 4:59pm
Xiom Stradivarius is also a good option. Speedwise I would put it up there with TBS. Its Armaid-Carbon versus Arylate-Carbon, but in function they do the same. Best feature is that its not "BUTTERFLY" and the probability that the price will not go up is pretty high. 
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 1:22am

Viscaria

What price are you looking for?
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 2:45am

Viscaria

What price are you looking for?

i see that the regular price is $144.99, so any price a little lower than this. Ive been looking into Eacheng.net, is this place reputable for legit products and good business?
Butterfly Viscaria
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 12:04pm
hahaha couldnt help my self. Just ordered one from eacheng.net
Butterfly Viscaria
Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 5:38pm
Just a heads up, I would watch out when buying certain blades from China as there are many chinese knockoffs, the viscaria being one of the more popular knockoffs from what I've heard. 
Rutis
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 9:59pm
I got a super light soft one - well its not tbs but its ttmaster sensitive defense which I believe is the little baby tbs.  

Have learnt to luv it
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/2010 at 11:24pm

hahaha couldnt help my self. Just ordered one from eacheng.net

You will love it.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2010 at 1:35am
A softer TBS might also be a Hinoki outer ply ALC such as Nexy Oscar or Kong Linghui special. Or even Photino feels softer than TBS. I also very much like Rutis but I don't find it to be especially "softer" than TBS. It is not slower for sure.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic