Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

waist rotation trick!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: waist rotation trick!
    Posted: 01/06/2011 at 11:21pm
From reading on the Bokett forums, there's one very simple and effective way to get to know the feeling of weight transfer between legs and waist rotation. I've found it very useful...LOL

Sit on a swiveling chair. Have your legs slightly wider than your shoulders(this is essential!). Then try to make your whole upper body face right/left. You'll find that it's impossible to do that without your legs moving. You definitely have to engage your legs to do that.

That's the trick! The feeling of weight transfer during FH and BH loops is almost exactly the same as making your upper body face right/left on a swiveling chair.

Hope you guys find it useful! Embarrassed
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 1:20am
VERY INTERESTING

It's always so rewarding when we have ways to explain complex ideas with simple words.

THANK YOU!
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 2:45am
Thank you very much for the tip. It is very helpful.Big smile
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 3:41am
Brilliant!!! Luckily I am sitting on a swivel chair right now... did they mention anything about chair height?Tongue

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 01/07/2011 at 3:42am
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
enky4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enky4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 3:48am
thank u very much,

more tips are welcome Smile
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Jeff(ATTC) Jeff(ATTC) wrote:

Brilliant!!! Luckily I am sitting on a swivel chair right now... did they mention anything about chair height?Tongue

nope...nothing about chair height... i think it should work if you're already sitting comfortably on the chair...LOL
-------
Viscaria

wysman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wysman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 10:16am
TT_haru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_haru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 10:16am
Is it just me cos I can turn my whole upper body left/right without moving my legs? Smile
wysman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wysman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 10:17am
i hope from the video can show a lot, even it was in Japanese 
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 10:21am
Great video. I plan to use that in my coaching lessons now!  Clap
Ashes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 11:05am
Cool trick, will be trying that for sure.

Another trick I use to make my body turn is using the non playing arm.  I lift my left arm and move it until it is horizontal and parallel to the table bottom line, that makes my whole body turn right. Then, when I make the stroke I pull back my left elbow, until my fingers reach the hip. You can check Ma Long's loop technique to see how's it's meant to be done.
Blade: YEO FH: H3P BH: Pryde 40
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by TT_haru TT_haru wrote:

Is it just me cos I can turn my whole upper body left/right without moving my legs? Smile

Have the length between your feet longer than the length between your shoulders.
or, in other words, have the left foot on the left of your left shoulder and your right foot on the right of your right shoulder.
Then it's much harder to do it without the legs moving.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 1:21pm
Awesome, now you can practice your loops at work :))
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by wysman wysman wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfcvlKtNMnc&feature=related

Did she say that the boy has an itchy knee?
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 6:41pm
I'm dizzy now from all this practice... LOL
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 7:13pm
oh wow that is useful, awesome man
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

She was counting "One, Two, One, Two..."
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 8:28pm
I was just kidding. I know some Japanese words from my Karate days.Smile
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
TT_haru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_haru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by TT_haru TT_haru wrote:

Have the length between your feet longer than the length between your shoulders.
or, in other words, have the left foot on the left of your left shoulder and your right foot on the right of your right shoulder.
Then it's much harder to do it without the legs moving.

Yah, with conscious efffort, I can prevent the movement. However, if everything was done in a relax manner, the waist will move slightly with the legs ...
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

She was counting "One, Two, One, Two..."

Clap    LOL    Big smile
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
TT_haru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_haru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 8:37pm

I was just kidding. I know some Japanese words from my Karate days.Smile

Yah, japanese one and two does sound like "itchy knee" respectively. Big smile
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 10:49pm

That's exactly what i meant! LOL Please post any useful videos like this to the forum!
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2011 at 12:41pm
Incontestably the best thread of the year so far imho.

I am still so excited to present this trick to people I coach.

I have many ways to explain how to use the legs in the fh counter drive or fh loop but this is the shortest way I know today; the one anybody can understand easily without a degree in body motion (is there such a degree lol?).

It presents the same level of coaching quality material than the Frisbee image for the bh (OK not very useful if you do not play frisbee): simple and right to the point!
capablanca8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 1:01pm

It presents the same level of coaching quality material than the Frisbee image for the bh (OK not very useful if you do not play frisbee): simple and right to the point!
Could you explain this frisbee analogy for the bh?  Thanks very much!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by capablanca8 capablanca8 wrote:

It presents the same level of coaching quality material than the frisbee image for the bh (OK not very useful if you do not play frisbee): simple and right to the point!
Could you explain this frisbee analogy for the bh?  Thanks very much!

sure; my apologies to the thread starter for this out of topic quick parenthesis.

I knew that analogy for so long and I had forgotten it.

One day I was coaching a 12 yo kid who can run under 8 minutes mile and he was so talented: he could drill the falkenberg all day long LOL.

His BH was too flat even if he was trying to hit over the ball. I wanted more of a wrist snap for better control and a better brushing job and he said "Just like freesbee?".  "YES!" I answered as I was remembering I had thought about that many times before. It appeared that the boy was a highly competitive ultimate freesbee player.

We stopped drilling and went back to bh to bh counter drive to apply what I thought he had undertood instantly in an epiphany like event.

It is probably the best memory of my still short coaching time. I wanted to scream my joy when i saw him having immediately a bh better than mine as his control was now total, just because of that Freesbee Wrist Snap RIGHT BEFORE CONTACTING THE BALL.

He was so happy and was giggling all by himself as he was now counter driving with a clear nice arc, thanks to the additional spin he was now putting on the ball. It was a real humbling moment for me as a coach.

Today I always ask if the people know how to play freesbee when we get to the BH drive chapter of their game.

Many coaches try to forget about the wrist when teaching the BH. I like to introduce the wrist IMMEDIATELY telling them to not let it loose and not let it stiff; and the only way to do that is to use it A LITTLE BIT, right before contacting and covering the ball.

I hope it helps.

pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 1:34pm
ClapClapClapClap

The frisbee analogy for the BH wrist motion is pure genius!  That's exactly right!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 1:56pm
Thanks so much, fatt!  What do you think about using the frisbee analogy for rpb?

Edited by capablanca8 - 01/09/2011 at 1:56pm
pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 2:00pm
Capablanca8, I play RPB and it is the same!

You have to cock the wrist downward before "throwing the frisbee."  Without the wrist cock, you won't get max spin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capablanca8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 2:17pm
Thanks, pushchop.  My coach tells me to use my wrist more (like you said).  I think I've been reluctant because my wrist gets sore.  Does the soreness go away?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by capablanca8 capablanca8 wrote:

Thanks so much, fatt!  What do you think about using the frisbee analogy for rpb?
you are welcome; now with your screen name I am sure you can come with a few chess analogies.
do you have a uscf rating?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic