FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy 05 durability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2017 at 11:10pm
no issue here either. I get at least 3 months out of it, which would probably double if I played inverted both sides
Sponsored Links

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 12:01am
tenergy topsheet wears out fast. that's why i reserve it for bh and choose something else for fh most of the time even though tenergy works great for me on both sides
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Last one i got has been going on for 5 months now

Note that you are the only player commenting with an honestly declared level and who has posted video of his strokes.

For the record, I know someone who used 5 year old sheets of Tenergy 05 (not really by choice, and he probably didn't use those sheets all those 5 years).  I used sheets for 1 year before being mocked to stop.  Not saying that the sheets always performed like new, but I could probably still play pretty close to usual level with them.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/16/2017 at 12:26am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:25am
My black 05 on FH is still fine after 10 months playing 2 to 3 times a week
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:38am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

tenergy topsheet wears out fast. that's why i reserve it for bh and choose something else for fh most of the time even though tenergy works great for me on both sides

We've actually had threads on this topic before, both for Tenergy and for other, similar products.  What always struck me is that people aren't very precise when describing "durability.

Saying a rubber lasted six months doesn't tell me much because maybe you only played once in that six months.  It would be better to estimate the number of hours of use.  This is actually what is done with a lot of engines (tractors, airplanes, etc.) for the same reason.  Age isn't much of an indicator; usage is.

The other imprecision in thinking is how do you actually measure when a rubber is no longer usable?  One guy may feel that a sheet feels dead to him at 100 hours of use while another player might feel comfortable with the same rubber going up to 200 hours.  The durability of the rubber doesn't change, just the expectations of the players involved.

I've kept pretty careful notes in the past for my sheets of Tenergy 05.  I would say the sponge wears out faster than the topsheet (but Tenergy top sheet will cut very easily if you hit the table edge!).  So if you're used to going by looking for worn topsheet (which is what I used to to with other rubbers), you can actually find yourself playing with rubbers that have dead sponges.

Also, a topsheet can get stiff (making the rubber less spiny and harder to control) if he gets exposed to too much heat or too much air (such as sitting around for a month in the open air).  So a rubber kept in a case or bag might feel better after a month or two compared to one that is often out of the case.

My personal guideline that I use for my own sheets of Tenergy goes like this:

0 - 15 hours: I don't really like a brand new sheet.  It feels hard to control.  I'm happier when it's broken in.
15 - 75 hours: This is when I feel T05 is at its best, with strong spin and speed.
75 - 125 hours: During this stage the sponge has lost some of its power but has increased in control.  I can't play as aggressively with rubber during this stage but I can handle almost anything thrown at me (kind of like downgrading from 2.1mm thickness to 1.9mm).
125 - 175 hours: Top sheet is less spiny and the sponge is much weaker.  I'm happy to use this kind of rubber at the club but would hate to use it in an important tournament match.
175 - 225 hours: T05 is only a pale shadow of its normal self and I have to work twice as hard.  I would only play with Tenergy this old because I don't want to spring the cost of new sheets of Tenergy.
225+ hours: Not a good choice for an attacking looper.

That's how I feel about it; I don't claim that this numbers apply to anyone else.

Also, I'm skeptical that they've changed the formula of the rubber.  There are so many easier ways to save money if that's you're goal.  And there are so many factors that go into judging rubbers that we'll never know the truth unless Butterfly publicly admits it.

I will say that a common reason for any rubber to shrink when it's re-glued is because it was pressed to hard the first time it was glued.  If you press hard in your first gluing, then you stretch the rubber.  Take it off and it shrinks back again, appearing to be now too small for the paddle.

Just my thoughts.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:14am
Youre wrong. If you also cut the brand new rubber without any pressure, youll also suffer shrink issues after a few months. That shrink effect varies from one rubber to another, Germany in Esn are the worst and chinese never shrink unless theyre factory tuned.

Thats why i always cut the rubber leaving a 2-3mm out of the blade edge in order to prevent that shrink effect once i peel it off for the first time.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Youre wrong. If you also cut the brand new rubber without any pressure, youll also suffer shrink issues after a few months. That shrink effect varies from one rubber to another, Germany in Esn are the worst and chinese never shrink unless theyre factory tuned.

Thats why i always cut the rubber leaving a 2-3mm out of the blade edge in order to prevent that shrink effect once i peel it off for the first time.

I can only speak from my own experience, which is not a scientific study.  I haven't experienced the shrinkage problem since I stopped pressing the rubbers so hard when gluing.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:35am
I don't know why incarnation has issues with his tenergy, but I only use tenergy from the release time of them till now, and they last 6 months to me. I play intense trainings, 3 and few times 4 times per week. Well ofc the last 1,5 months don't perform so well, but you can still do a great practise with them.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 7:43am
Tenergy never shrunk on me, probably same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. Tenergy plas pretty well even when it looks worn.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

They. Never shrunk on me, proba ly same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. They play pretty well even when they look worn.

So when you glue them, you don't apply any pressure via hand or a roller? I've had this stretching issue with MX-P and EL-P and I do use a roller to gently spread the rubber onto the blade. But whenever I take off the rubber the first time, it shrinks down Cry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 8:45am
I apply them nice and evenly with a pressure roller, and when they are applied, then I put pressure on them. I don't have any shrinking problems.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

They. Never shrunk on me, proba ly same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. They play pretty well even when they look worn.

So when you glue them, you don't apply any pressure via hand or a roller? I've had this stretching issue with MX-P and EL-P and I do use a roller to gently spread the rubber onto the blade. But whenever I take off the rubber the first time, it shrinks down Cry

Shrinking when you remove rubber happens every time with MX-P, but not with T05 in my experience with them. Only way to get Evo rubbers to fit again is to re-boost them. This is true even though I was very careful not to stretch the rubbers when gluing or attaching them.

Tenergy and Evo are very different in this regard.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:38am
The top sheet of T05 wears quickly if you just judge by appearance but it always seemed to me that it played pretty well anyway. Certainly my level stayed constant. If I kept a sheet for more than 6 months (6-10 hrs per week)and then got a new sheet I would definitely notice the difference and would often struggle for a week or so. Is the rubber breaking in or had I just gotten used to worn out rubber? I don't know, maybe both. A pro player would probably want to change pretty often.

Amazing that this thread started in 2008.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:13pm
Would the type of stroke affect the wear on a rubble?  I was told that since I am a very spiny hitter my rubber will wear out before non spiny hitters.
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:28pm
From my observation, ESN loses their sponge first and then topsheet. 

Tenergy i believe decays at a very very slow constant rate, which is why its hard to notice overnight changes, i had a rasant grip die and i could tell that it did in a 3 days span, but no such surprises with tenergy. Also i m moving my forehand rubber to backhand, since a tenergy past its glory is still a decent backhand rubber, and i can put the new tenergy on my forehand.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:38pm

Shrinking when you remove rubber happens every time with MX-P, but not with T05 in my experience with them. Only way to get Evo rubbers to fit again is to re-boost them. This is true even though I was very careful not to stretch the rubbers when gluing or attaching them.

Tenergy and Evo are very different in this regard.

Yeah you are right, I never had this issue with Rakza rubbers, they shrunked just a tiny bit but not as much as Evo rubbers.

Another thing I noticed about MX-P and EL-P is that after playing for about a month (mostly 3-4 days a week, roughly 2 hours each day), the rubber starts losing it's speed+spin and feel becomes a little dull for me. But this becomes better once I reglue the rubbers. Is it because of the stretching or is this normal and it means the rubbers are due for a reglue job?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Would the type of stroke affect the wear on a rubble?  I was told that since I am a very spiny hitter my rubber will wear out before non spiny hitters.

This is quite possible, we've got a couple of top-spin oriented players in our club and their FH rubbers wear out much faster than mine or other players. They are more FH oriented players so their FH rubbers wear out quicker than their BH rubbers with which they just punch or block. So if you have brush strokes, then I'd say it's a possibility to wear your rubbers out quicker than others.
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 3:55pm
some people would be dubious w/o a video and authenticated rating.  But since this has been my experience I actually believe you.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Tenergy i believe decays at a very very slow constant rate, which is why its hard to notice overnight changes

I agree, whereas I found that MX-P would decline pretty abruptly, even though the topsheet looked ok.  This is true at least for playing properties.  In terms of visible appearance of wear, the surface of T05 gets to lose its shine quickly, and actually, for me, that is when I liked it best.

In general, compared to other European/Japanese rubbers, Tenergy is reasonably durable.  I have no clue about Chinese rubbers.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:41pm

This is quite possible, we've got a couple of top-spin oriented players in our club and their FH rubbers wear out much faster than mine or other players. They are more FH oriented players so their FH rubbers wear out quicker than their BH rubbers with which they just punch or block. So if you have brush strokes, then I'd say it's a possibility to wear your rubbers out quicker than others.
I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  

By  the way, I use T05 on both sides and my FH rubber always wears out quicker, presumably because I hit the ball harder on that side (I loop both sides). To extend the life of my rubbers, I flip the paddle around during warm-up and drills.  This way I'm hitting with my BH rubber while warming up my FH stroke.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  

By  the way, I use T05 on both sides and my FH rubber always wears out quicker, presumably because I hit the ball harder on that side (I loop both sides). To extend the life of my rubbers, I flip the paddle around during warm-up and drills.  This way I'm hitting with my BH rubber while warming up my FH stroke.

Similar observations as mine :)

Ben wouldn't switching like that have a negative impact on your game because the feel changes a bit when using a newer sheet vs using a used one. It's all about the feel after all that's why we always practice with the same equipment we use to play in tournaments. Although that's a smart way to prolong their life :P
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:57pm
<<I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  >>

Well this may explain my experience.  Not too much scaling or visible wear on topsheet, but limp/dead lack of action.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 5:04pm

Ben wouldn't switching like that have a negative impact on your game because the feel changes a bit when using a newer sheet vs using a used one. It's all about the feel after all that's why we always practice with the same equipment we use to play in tournaments. Although that's a smart way to prolong their life :P
You are correct.  There are different things I can do to extend the life of Tenergy, such as flipping the paddle, applying oil to the top sheet, or boosting the sponge (only on old sheets).  In all cases, you risk that your rubber's playing characteristics will change.  Actually, that's true just for playing with old rubber.  Old T05 plays differently than new T05, so if I play with my sheets for, say, 175 hours, then when I put on new sheets they'll behave a lot different (more spin and speed).  The best approach is just to change rubbers every 100 hours (for me, every seven weeks).  However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 5:32pm
(benfb) However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead

Durn tootin', benfb.  Better to go with RITC Dr. Evil, which Megaspin sells for a mere $9.95 a sheet.  That stuff will probably outlast you.

OTOH, Megaspin sells various versions of Tenergy for seventy-four something bucks a sheet.  Yeah, you'll get a lot more spin and a tad and a half more speed for your 100 hours (seven weeks), but is the extra bang for your hard earned bucks really worth itBig smile?
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

(benfb) However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead

Durn tootin', benfb.  Better to go with RITC Dr. Evil, which Megaspin sells for a mere $9.95 a sheet.  That stuff will probably outlast you.

OTOH, Megaspin sells various versions of Tenergy for seventy-four something bucks a sheet.  Yeah, you'll get a lot more spin and a tad and a half more speed for your 100 hours (seven weeks), but is the extra bang for your hard earned bucks really worth itBig smile?

You will be thrilled to know that for my latest order from Paddle Palace, I bought two sheets of Tenergy 05, some water-based glue, and two sheets of Butterfly Orthodox.  I have a very nice looking all-wood paddle that was All+ in speed from about 15 years ago, and I was thinking of putting the OX on that.  Then I can learn how to be just as mediocre at hardbat as I am at sponge play.
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:56am
almost all rubbers last 40-50 hrs of playing
that always depends on the level of play
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 1:03am

The top sheet of T05 wears quickly if you just judge by appearance but it always seemed to me that it played pretty well anyway. Certainly my level stayed constant. If I kept a sheet for more than 6 months (6-10 hrs per week)and then got a new sheet I would definitely notice the difference and would often struggle for a week or so. Is the rubber breaking in or had I just gotten used to worn out rubber? I don't know, maybe both. A pro player would probably want to change pretty often.

Amazing that this thread started in 2008.

What Baal said, he is right. I change my tenergies every 6 motnhs, and as I mentioned the last1-1,5 months you can see clearly the need to change the rubber. So when I glue my new sheets, it always takes me 1 week to fully get used to them.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2017 at 1:07am

I believe the opposite, nopt only believe but also playing 13-14 years table tennis I have seen it in me and  in other players. The flat hitters use more strength in their strokes so the rubber hurts more and the top sheet gets destroyed more easily. The worst thing is to be a flat-hard hitter and use fx rubbers. The soft rubber, speeds up rapidly the life time of the top sheet.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:04am
If you don't dig up these old threads and instead just start a new one that seems to irk people.

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

I believe the opposite, nopt only believe but also playing 13-14 years table tennis I have seen it in me and  in other players. The flat hitters use more strength in their strokes so the rubber hurts more and the top sheet gets destroyed more easily. The worst thing is to be a flat-hard hitter and use fx rubbers. The soft rubber, speeds up rapidly the life time of the top sheet.

I disagree.  On a flat hit the ball hits the rubber/sponge and bounces off without much damage to the sponge or rubber.

On a loop stroke the ball comes in at an angle and as it hits the topsheet the contact tears/or weakens the topsheet a little bit. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic