Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ebenholz NCT VII vs Rosewood NCT VII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Congoman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Congoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 12:07am
wooden blade has problems too, for chinese national players, they use very hard rubber, this pose a problem for close to the net pushes, the ball just won't spin. This is a big problem for malin. Carbon is better at this, pushes are deceiving. It may seem like a touch, but the ball has a lot of spin on it, making it hard to return.  It's really up to the person, I don't think I can beat Xuxin with any blade you give me. It's generally not a good idea for beginners to use carbons, it gives less "feel" to the hand.
Sponsored Links

something View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote something Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 9:34pm

Edited by something - 04/12/2011 at 9:35pm
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 9:46pm
well... congoman, have you got a rosewood v? If yes, could you please compare it to viscaria and give us a review? 
Congoman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Congoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 11:15pm
wow, how did you know I have a rosewood v?
danie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2011 at 11:21pm
well...you wrote earlier on didn't you?
Congoman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Congoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2011 at 12:33am
Anyway, I bought one from a member here. It's on its way here, haven't received it yet.

My previous setup:
 Neo Skyline III 39  |  Stiga Clipper CR WBR  |  Haifu Shark II 36 2.1

Current setup:
 Neo Skyline III 39 |  Butterfly Viscaria  |  Haifu Shark II 37 Max

Possible next setup:
  Neo Skyline III (or II) 39  |  Rosewood NCT V  |  Bryce Speed FX OR Tenergy 05

The setups are relatively similar, so I can actually compare them. I would consider myself two winged loop player.  My backhand need softer rubber to give more control, more dwell time to compensate for the not-as-good-as-forehand loops. The springy backhand rubber also to compensate speed since backhand response faster but not as strong as forehand attacks.

I don't actually intend to switch the current setup for a while, but would be interested to see what the Rosewood NCT V can bring.

Stiga Clipper Setup:
Serves:
I use serve to control the game mostly, so spin is important. Clipper is actually not that much of spin. 7-ply Clipper doesn't quiet get the carbon stiffness, yet it also lacks the 5-ply deformation. So it doesn't give as much spin on the serves (compare to VISCARIA).

Loop drive:
Loop drives on Stiga Clipper is a bit strange...it has a "hollow" feel. Again this goes back to the 7-ply isn't quiet stiff at the same time doesn't deform much. So what this means is not as fast as a carbon and not as spinny as 5-ply....it feels like it's missing something.

Pushes:
Again, the pushes close to the net doesn't quiet hold the ball long enough to generate enough spin unless you really really push into the ball...it has that caught in the middle feel.

Flicks:
Flicks are OK, not super fast, but fast enough. It's pretty good for a wood blade.

Overall:
So who would want to use this? Well it would definitely be a good transition blade from a 5-ply wood to Carbon blade, but if you don't use it you won't miss anything. It is certainly faster than 5-ply (5-ply are generally slower but more spin on loops), but doesn't generate as much spin.  It's not as fast as Carbons.

So is it a worthless blade? No...how do you fix all this? There's one way to fix it, you have to exercise your fore-arm and have a really strong fore-arm and grip the blade really really hard. ONLY THEN you will get a carbon feel, fast, can generate enough spin with the right loop.

Butterfly Viscaria:
Serves:
It serves pretty good, much better than 7ply wood. Its stiffness really put the rubber to work. The serves are especially spinny if you throw the ball really high :D  The theory behind that is (I am sure I'll get bs calls) the stiffer the blade (carbon) the less the time of impact, the more the reaction force on the ball from the rubber, thus generate more spin. Anyhow, serves can generate more spin if you increase the contact force by throwing the ball really high and flick your wrist when contacting the ball (this is true on any blade, btw)

Loop drives:
It has more speed, more spin the rubber in general (with the same kind of loop on Clipper). However there's a "speed limit" or "ceiling effect" on Viscaria. it'll not go any faster no matter how you hit it. It's not as prominent as other Carbon blades I tried, but it certainly is there. I am not worried about it though. Loop drives are generally faster, more spin because of a stiffer blade.

Pushes:
Definitely more spin than Clipper, especially close to the net. The long pushes down to opponent's end of table is really hard to return.  Very good.

Flicks:
Flicks are faster than Clipper. Not much to doubt there, flicks can have somewhat more dwell time than clipper, or maybe flicks go into the rubber deeper because of a stiffer back. It's pretty fast!

Overall:
I was surprised that this gives more "hand feel" than Clipper. What I mean is you "feel" the ball more than Clipper, at the same time I don't think the ball's dwell time is any longer than Clipper, it may very well be less. I have played Timoboll spirit a few rounds, man, there's just no vibration/hand feel to the ball. It's really stiff.

This blade has a surprisingly low throw angel. Lower than Clipper. It kinda forces you to "open up" your paddle more and thus creating a really deep placement on opponent's side.  Another advantage about low-throw is you can really really hit the ball hard and it won't fly into the sky. The general problem with soft rubber is if you hit it very hard (with Chinese style loop) the ball  tense to give a really high arc. One is it give opponent more time to react, and it also give opponent better opportunity to return the ball since is high. (But these soft rubber has a fast "second" speed, referring to the hopping forward effect after landing).

Forgot to mention, this blade with the setup I have, is super heavy....:D Thinking about to strength my forearm a bit more. :)
Oh and this blade is loud...at least with the rubber I have. it has that "tin tin click" noise. I can loop the ball and make no noise, and it has a ton of spin :D

Stiga Rosewood NCT 5:

To be continued....

Edited by Congoman - 04/13/2011 at 12:41am
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2011 at 8:49am
Does ROSEWOOD NCT VII similar characteristics with clipper?
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 7:21am
no, much much harder and faster.
Apart from the ebenholz vii, I can't think of any other 7ply that plays remotely similar to the rosewood vii.

Potato Face
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 9:56am
rosewood V or ebenholz V compared with the clipper?
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 11:00am
Originally posted by tomaca tomaca wrote:

rosewood V or ebenholz V compared with the clipper?

Is it better to compare those 7 ply blades, rosewood VII and Ebenholz VII? Are those blades twice as good as clipper given the price differenceWink
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 3:39pm
When buying Clippers do not know what buying, too many fluctuations in  characteristics.
a ros.VII ebenVII and are quite heavy  some 100gr. 
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2011 at 10:50pm
clipper has very good speed, similar to tbs or viscaria.
the difference is that tbs is much more compact, less dwell time and harder surface.
this helps in quick offensive shots, as long as you can control it.
it's like tuned h3 vs tuned tenergy.
same speed but h3 is much more explosive, hard, direct..

Originally posted by Congoman Congoman wrote:

Anyway, I bought one from a member here. It's on its way here, haven't received it yet.

My previous setup:
 Neo Skyline III 39  |  Stiga Clipper CR WBR  |  Haifu Shark II 36 2.1

Current setup:
 Neo Skyline III 39 |  Butterfly Viscaria  |  Haifu Shark II 37 Max

Possible next setup:
  Neo Skyline III (or II) 39  |  Rosewood NCT V  |  Bryce Speed FX OR Tenergy 05

The setups are relatively similar, so I can actually compare them. I would consider myself two winged loop player.  My backhand need softer rubber to give more control, more dwell time to compensate for the not-as-good-as-forehand loops. The springy backhand rubber also to compensate speed since backhand response faster but not as strong as forehand attacks.

I don't actually intend to switch the current setup for a while, but would be interested to see what the Rosewood NCT V can bring.

Stiga Clipper Setup:
Serves:
I use serve to control the game mostly, so spin is important. Clipper is actually not that much of spin. 7-ply Clipper doesn't quiet get the carbon stiffness, yet it also lacks the 5-ply deformation. So it doesn't give as much spin on the serves (compare to VISCARIA).

Loop drive:
Loop drives on Stiga Clipper is a bit strange...it has a "hollow" feel. Again this goes back to the 7-ply isn't quiet stiff at the same time doesn't deform much. So what this means is not as fast as a carbon and not as spinny as 5-ply....it feels like it's missing something.

Pushes:
Again, the pushes close to the net doesn't quiet hold the ball long enough to generate enough spin unless you really really push into the ball...it has that caught in the middle feel.

Flicks:
Flicks are OK, not super fast, but fast enough. It's pretty good for a wood blade.

Overall:
So who would want to use this? Well it would definitely be a good transition blade from a 5-ply wood to Carbon blade, but if you don't use it you won't miss anything. It is certainly faster than 5-ply (5-ply are generally slower but more spin on loops), but doesn't generate as much spin.  It's not as fast as Carbons.

So is it a worthless blade? No...how do you fix all this? There's one way to fix it, you have to exercise your fore-arm and have a really strong fore-arm and grip the blade really really hard. ONLY THEN you will get a carbon feel, fast, can generate enough spin with the right loop.

Butterfly Viscaria:
Serves:
It serves pretty good, much better than 7ply wood. Its stiffness really put the rubber to work. The serves are especially spinny if you throw the ball really high :D  The theory behind that is (I am sure I'll get bs calls) the stiffer the blade (carbon) the less the time of impact, the more the reaction force on the ball from the rubber, thus generate more spin. Anyhow, serves can generate more spin if you increase the contact force by throwing the ball really high and flick your wrist when contacting the ball (this is true on any blade, btw)

Loop drives:
It has more speed, more spin the rubber in general (with the same kind of loop on Clipper). However there's a "speed limit" or "ceiling effect" on Viscaria. it'll not go any faster no matter how you hit it. It's not as prominent as other Carbon blades I tried, but it certainly is there. I am not worried about it though. Loop drives are generally faster, more spin because of a stiffer blade.

Pushes:
Definitely more spin than Clipper, especially close to the net. The long pushes down to opponent's end of table is really hard to return.  Very good.

Flicks:
Flicks are faster than Clipper. Not much to doubt there, flicks can have somewhat more dwell time than clipper, or maybe flicks go into the rubber deeper because of a stiffer back. It's pretty fast!

Overall:
I was surprised that this gives more "hand feel" than Clipper. What I mean is you "feel" the ball more than Clipper, at the same time I don't think the ball's dwell time is any longer than Clipper, it may very well be less. I have played Timoboll spirit a few rounds, man, there's just no vibration/hand feel to the ball. It's really stiff.

This blade has a surprisingly low throw angel. Lower than Clipper. It kinda forces you to "open up" your paddle more and thus creating a really deep placement on opponent's side.  Another advantage about low-throw is you can really really hit the ball hard and it won't fly into the sky. The general problem with soft rubber is if you hit it very hard (with Chinese style loop) the ball  tense to give a really high arc. One is it give opponent more time to react, and it also give opponent better opportunity to return the ball since is high. (But these soft rubber has a fast "second" speed, referring to the hopping forward effect after landing).

Forgot to mention, this blade with the setup I have, is super heavy....:D Thinking about to strength my forearm a bit more. :)
Oh and this blade is loud...at least with the rubber I have. it has that "tin tin click" noise. I can loop the ball and make no noise, and it has a ton of spin :D

Stiga Rosewood NCT 5:

To be continued....

Edited by sa01 - 05/31/2011 at 10:52pm
chalo_sterling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chalo_sterling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2013 at 8:50pm
hi congoman!

what about rw5??
Blade: Stiga Clipper CC

Forehand rubber: DHS TG Skyline 3 NEO

Backhand rubber: Xiom Zava I
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic