Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC blades
    Posted: 08/27/2011 at 3:38pm
Anyone has experience with BBC blades (TriFlex, 9-10-9, etc)?
Feedback highly appreciated...
G
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 3:42pm
Please use Search button - we had quite a few testers for them - about a year ago BBC initiated some reviews. I myself played quite a few matches with 9-10-9.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Guenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 4:11pm
Thanks Jim, just cannot find any reviews via search...
;)
G
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 4:39pm
I use the BBC 9-10-9 myself and I love the way it plays, I used to try a lot of different blades but this one was a keeper for me. I also own the anvil and fiddler by BBC but never really played with them.
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
jim2204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim2204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 4:56pm
Last week a gentlemen looks like 60++ years old walked into our club with a bag of 20 plus custom made BBC blades and proceeded to beat 7 of the best club members in a row (all of them 1800 to 2200 player). Don't know if it's the equipment or the guy's skill level.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by jim2204 jim2204 wrote:

Last week a gentlemen looks like 60++ years old walked into our club with a bag of 20 plus custom made BBC blades and proceeded to beat 7 of the best club members in a row (all of them 1800 to 2200 player). Don't know if it's the equipment or the guy's skill level.

It's not the equipment!  He's just the better player.  Equipment doesn't help w/ your timing, footwork, strategy, shot selection, etc.  
speed29 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speed29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 8:26pm
I've tested the 1 ply hinoki which is very good.
If I compare it to darker speed 90 it is quite close, with a bit more flex and I find it a bit softer.
Maybe this is due to the head shape ? I don't know. Darker shape is wider. Mine is also heavier, that could be another reason.
Very very good wood quality, very good craftmanship.
I prefer it over juic kiso hinoki, tibhar h-1-9, american hinoki wrc 8.75mm. BBC has much better feeling and control. But I prefer darker speed 90 because it has the same good feel, with less flex, no flex. The price is not the same though...

Edited by speed29 - 08/27/2011 at 8:28pm
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 9:59pm
I find the Carboflex to be an excellent blade. Good control, good feel and fast put away power when needed. A very good looping blade. Hard surface and if paired with Calibra LT Sound or LT Spin a true pleasure to play with. Fit and finish is top notch (more like awesome).

Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 10:01pm
Anybody have any BBC blades for saleSmile
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

I might... soon. Check with me in a couple of weeks, I will have decided by then if I will put up my 9-10-9 for sale. It's a great blade but it's a bit too softish for me - will play great for ALL+, OFF- players though, that's for sure, or even for OFF player who has got a faster and more powerful stroke but wants lots of control.

If I will - most likely I will be selling it as a twofer with my Nexy Lissom (another great blade). Lissom is 100 dollars plus at least 20 for delivery from Korea, and BBC 9-10-9 is $115, and to sell quickly I think I will  try and sell them as a bundle for $150 with free delivery in the US-48. A few extra bucks for delivery to other places.

I am selling to see if Charlie can build me a more powerful (and a better blocking) blade - perhaps going 1 mm thicker can do the trick. But the problem then is keeping the weight below 90 g...

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 11:05pm
Charlie makes excellent blades...i had a lot of them and all my friends took them i bought 3 and had to test even more now i just have one...9-10-9 is very, very good and special

Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 11:20pm
I have an early custom prototype ASTI blade that is much like the BBC Carboflex and the quality is very high. It was made to my specs. Rosewood thick squarish flared handle with carbon layers and softer woods. I don't remember if Charlie made that blade since it is 18 years old. Great blade for power game from all distances. Speed is OFF. to slightly OFF+.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2011 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

It's not the equipment!  He's just the better player.  Equipment doesn't help w/ your timing, footwork, strategy, shot selection, etc.  
Would this have been in the Los Angeles area by any chance?
BBC, SP, LP
sahiggs100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sahiggs100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 12:09am

Like I said in my previous post, I have the anvil and the fiddler, both in basically new condition which I do not have any need for.  I would certainly be willing to sell.  You can let me know if you are interested and we could talk a price.Wink

In fact, I do believe I am the one that sold you the carboflex that you have now.

Edited by sahiggs100 - 08/28/2011 at 12:11am
Blade: Nexy Lissom
FH: Gambler Outlaw Black
BH: RITC 802 Short Pips Red

Please Don't feed the EJ's!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 10:12am

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Guenter Guenter wrote:

Thanks Jim, just cannot find any reviews via search...
;)

The trick with the search is to specify last 6 months AND OLDER and point it at the Equipment Forum. You'll get results like this when you search for BBC review

Carboflex Review

Triflex Carbon Review
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Guenter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guenter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 2:12pm
thanks guys, great response! Of course, my intention is to buy the best blade for me, expense is really not much of concern. My style allows me to play with OFF+ and when I feel relaxed with OFF-. Having said that, I am also looking at the Innerforce zlc and (for a lighter blade) the Ishlion. Thanks for any input!

G
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 9:17pm
Question is can you get them. Is BBC still in business??????
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2011 at 10:31pm

Yes they are. I was just exchanging emails with Charlie a few days ago asking if he could construct a new blade for me.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 3:20am

I saw CW just this afternoon at our local club. His website can be found at www.BladesByCharlie.com.

There was a round of blade testing done here on MyTT about 12-18 months ago and many of those reviews can be found by searching for "bladesbycharlie" or "blades by charlie" as people tend to write it differently. As a longtime BBC blade tester I have 30+ BBC blades and can tell you that they feel more like fine hand-crafted furniture or polished wood sculpture than table tennis equpment, and play way nicer than any commercial blade I've picked up. Each blade is made to order, including handle shape and length, head shape, and weight. The sweet spots on these blades are ridiculously large.

JimT, you might be interested in CW's latest 9-10-9 variants that provide extra power. Ask CW about the 8-12-8 and its brethren and maybe even his Sardius clone.

For the past year or so I've been working on and off with CW to develop the ultimate two-speed blade for OX LP attack and I think I've found it with the BBC Blue Streak. BBC's website doesn't have most of his current models such as the Blue Streak, the Nepalese Assassin, the CarboFlex ULTRA, the Matt's Dream, and a few more that don't even have names yet.

p.s. If that "gentlemen looks like 60++ years old" was Jamaican then it could only be Lennox Bartley, my good friend and occasional coach. Your club mates shouldn't feel too bad as we're all used to losing to Lennox, too.
BBC, SP, LP
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 3:15pm
Good to know
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Rubbish! Of course it's the equipment. Experience and training has very little impact against a player who has the latest and best combinationWink
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
ejmeser View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmeser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 5:30pm
/\ kinda useless joke Wink

I have BBC Fiddler sitting in my closet and I might give it a try next week. Anyone tried this blade? I have few more blades to try and I am not sure if I should waste my time on this one...
*Madridista*

My Feedback
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

JimT, you might be interested in CW's latest 9-10-9 variants that provide extra power. Ask CW about the 8-12-8 and its brethren and maybe even his Sardius clone.

Ehh... this is all a pipe dream on my part, my friend. I suppose you can't really have it all in one blade. But I should try smth new I guess - but maybe not right now.

jim2204 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim2204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 7:07pm
Nathanso, the gentleman was Lennox Bartley. He reminds me of a clint Eastwood western or a Samurai who stormed into town and proceeded to take out everyone in sight. most of the good players lost 3-0 to him.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Ehh... this is all a pipe dream on my part, my friend. I suppose you can't really have it all in one blade. But I should try smth new I guess - but maybe not right now.
The BBC Fiddler is a great blade (I have two myself). A 2100 rated player from Germany coaches and plays at my local club and he uses an Oak-skinned Fiddler.

How thick is your Fiddler's Cypress core and what kind of wood is it skinned with?
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

The BBC Fiddler is a great blade (I have two myself). A 2100 rated player from Germany coaches and plays at my local club and he uses an Oak-skinned Fiddler.

How thick is your Fiddler's Cypress core and what kind of wood is it skinned with?

I think you have confused me with another poster here. I have a 9-10-9...

ckhirnigs113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckhirnigs113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 3:00pm
I have inquired with Charlie about a slightly oversized BBC All Around that would be good for offense and defense. I play double inverted now with a Maze OFF blade, so I've been interested in trying something slower. Charlie let me know he is working on a blade for me to test and review. I am really looking forward to see what he comes up with.
Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita FL
FH: Xiom Vega Japan MAX
BH: TSP P-1R 1.0mm
USATT Rating: 1947
ejmeser View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmeser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 3:02pm
He has confused you with me probably... I will post some pictures of my Fiddler later at night.
*Madridista*

My Feedback
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by ejmeser ejmeser wrote:

He has confused you with me probably... I will post some pictures of my Fiddler later at night.

I mistakenly hit "Quote" in the adjacent post.
BBC, SP, LP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic