Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boosting the tenergy sponge ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vihito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vihito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boosting the tenergy sponge ?
    Posted: 10/03/2011 at 2:19pm

Well, from one of my friends i've heard that some of the players at high level (not world class though) have been boosting their tenergies with baby oil, applying it on the sponge. I have heard that it softeners the sponge and making a better feeling on stiff blades.

I haven't tried this method and was wondering if some of you have experience in boosting tenergy.

Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2011 at 2:22pm
I don't know with baby oil but Tenergy feels fantastic with Falco booster and Dandoy booster.. 
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2011 at 2:59pm
I don't know if the baby oil trick works or not but I would imagine if the sponge soaked up baby oil would have hard time glue it back and stay on to the blade.
formidableone14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formidableone14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2011 at 10:59pm
I would be scared to mess up my 75 dollar sheet.   ***CRINGES***
BTY Timo Boll ALC

Tenergy 05 FH/Tenergy 80 BH
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2011 at 1:27am
Easy. Test with your beat-up ones.
Originally posted by formidableone14 formidableone14 wrote:

I would be scared to mess up my 75 dollar sheet.   ***CRINGES***
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2011 at 1:41am
It does play very nicely once boosted, but very fast. Feel nice though.

Edited by cotdt - 10/04/2011 at 1:41am
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2011 at 1:57am
Last week I was testing Dian Chi. I put 2 layers on Spin Art. (Spin Art has spring sponge like T05.) All I could say is OMG. It turned to be extremly bouncy. My BH loop were much powerful. 
There is a catch though. My games were not better, but worse. The control pushes or short balls  were not controlable. Short balls went long or high. Pushes were off table or I had to slow down which meant my opponents had time to response. Blocking and looping were good though.

msilhanek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msilhanek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 3:21pm
Hi guys, I have a slightly off topic question. I've heard the Falco booster stretches rubbers. But how does a rubber work when the boosting effect goes down? Does it shrink when you put off a rubber? I don't wanna glue and cut it on my blade, remove it after some time and realise it is too small. Or how does it work when you boost a rubber repeatedly? Thx in advance.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 3:52pm
My T05 shrank so I used just enough paraffin oil to expand it back to size then glue it. I wasn't trying to enhance performance. I just wanted the T05 to fit the blade. I played with the T05 latter that night. It seemed normal to me for a 18 month old rubber.   I still use it.   T05 is expensive but it lasts.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 3:54pm
Tenergy shrinks anyway. If you're planning to remove and reglue it anyway, it's better to cut it oversize than a clean cut with a razor.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
msilhanek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msilhanek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 5:34pm
Thank you both. I should specify my question - what happens after a month, when the boosting (if I use it, I'm not sure yet) effect comes down, when I remove the rubber and use the booster again? Will it expand +- to the same dimensions like after the 1st boosting?

Edited by msilhanek - 11/14/2011 at 5:35pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2011 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

I don't know with baby oil but Tenergy feels fantastic with Falco booster and Dandoy booster.. 

has somebody tried falco and dandoy booster with chinese rubbers?
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 7:26pm
i order two can of booster from http://www.falco-shop.com/index.php
have been 2 months booster still did not arrive,email them no reply
suck lost about $70
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 8:57pm
T05 is amazing with booster. Not paraffin oil but real boosters. Best thing is, the characteristics of the rubber are hardly changed at all. Just some more speed and a little more spin. It's not like H3 where booster changes the rubber entirely and too much or too little booster messes up your game. T05 is not nearly as sensitive to booster, just slightly better all around.
Nittaku Resound
okeimakei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeimakei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 10:20pm
I feel like Tenergy plays almost exactly the same with boosters, maybe a bit more dwell and spin. BTW, anybody ever tune a Spinart? I just bought it, feels fine but a bit too hard....
ZJK ALC- TINARC 3- T64
okeimakei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeimakei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2011 at 10:22pm
Damn, forget it, didn't read the complete thread, thanks for the info aaronkl!
ZJK ALC- TINARC 3- T64
keme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 4:58am
I know Falco (and probably other suppliers) claim that boosters are legal, but are they? I thought that the rubber must be used in the condition as approved by ITTF (i.e. as received from supplier)

2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

Does the non-VOC make the treatment legal, or just impossible to detect?

FWIW, on my "old axe" with ancient (but still very playable) Butterfly rubbers I have done experiments with paraffin oil on the rubber. Done nothing to the sponge, though. Still sits on the glue it was originally affixed with, some 20 years (!) ago. One coat of oil did nothing to playability, but evened out the coloring. Awaiting drying up of multiple coats (saturation) now. I guess I'll see the effect in a couple of days, or perhaps not...

Edited by keme - 11/28/2011 at 5:00am
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 12:17pm
Paraffin oil isn't booster. If on the cheap, try Goo Gone.

Rubbers are factory tuned with oily substances anyway. Another thing to know is that the little devices that detect VOCs don't actually work. Often gets negatives from heavily tuned paddles and positives from unmodified paddles.
Nittaku Resound
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by keme keme wrote:

I know Falco (and probably other suppliers) claim that boosters are legal, but are they? I thought that the rubber must be used in the condition as approved by ITTF (i.e. as received from supplier)

2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

Does the non-VOC make the treatment legal, or just impossible to detect?

FWIW, on my "old axe" with ancient (but still very playable) Butterfly rubbers I have done experiments with paraffin oil on the rubber. Done nothing to the sponge, though. Still sits on the glue it was originally affixed with, some 20 years (!) ago. One coat of oil did nothing to playability, but evened out the coloring. Awaiting drying up of multiple coats (saturation) now. I guess I'll see the effect in a couple of days, or perhaps not...

That's a complicated question:
If you as an individual are boosting, then it is against the rules - therefore cheating.
If however the rubber manufacturer was to tune it specifically for you in the factory, then it's perfectly legal.

If done properly, it's basically undetectable.  

It comes down to your moral character whether or not you will use a tuned/boosted/etc rubber in sanctioned matches.  I'll leave it at that because otherwise there will be a long argument.
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 1:55pm
Well section 2.4.7 only applies to the topsheet. It doesn't mention anything about tuning.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by LGL_fan LGL_fan wrote:

Well section 2.4.7 only applies to the topsheet. It doesn't mention anything about tuning.

This argument has already taken place.  Again, it comes down to your moral character and how you interpret "racket covering"
  • Is it the topsheet and sponge?
  • Is it just the topsheet?
  • Is it just the sponge?
  • Is it just the topsheet only if there is no sponge?
I personally interpret "racket covering" to mean everything that covers the racket - the sponge (if applicable) and topsheet.

There are numerous discussions on this and you can find information on the ittf website (as stated in other threads on this topic) which state that it includes the topsheet and sponge even though it is not explicitly stated in the rule book (another cause of debate).

Let's not continue to rehash this argument over and over again.  Use the search function.
My moral compass tells me it's against the rules.  Yours might say otherwise.  Unless you tell the umpire you're tuning/boosting or you manage to exceed the 4mm limit nobody can prove it - so it's completely up to you.

Updated to include a link

Edited by hookumsnivy - 11/28/2011 at 2:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic