Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade charactersistics: TBS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade charactersistics: TBS
    Posted: 12/16/2011 at 6:10am
Every blade has its own characteristics, and I think that the characteristics of the TBS are very special, far from being neutral (in the following I will assume a neutral value of 100, values above 120 and below 80 are extreme values).

-Weight: In average a TBS is about 91 gr. Value: 112

-Thickness: 5.8 mm. Value: 97

-Balance: Slightly head heavy, but not excessively head heavy. Value: 103

-Speed (restitution): The TBS is a very fast blade. It is on the border between Off and Off+. Value: 112

-Stiffness: The TBS is a very stiff (stable) blade. Value: 113

-Vibration: I see that vibration is often linked to hardness and consequently a blade with sharp feeling (little vibration) is often considered as a hard blade. This one-to-one interlinking is wrong in general. The TBS has little vibration. High values mean little vibration. Value: 113

-Repulsion: Repulsion represents the feeling of catching the ball. It is equivalent to dwell. Few players can differentiate between vibration and repulsion (usually vibration is the dominant feeling). High values mean high repulsion, i.e. weak catching. The TBS catches the ball deeply. Value: 92

-Overall hardness: This is a combination of stiffness, vibration and repulsion. Many players can not catch the different feelings associated to hardness but just this overall feel. Value: 104

What makes the TBS so special is that it shows high speed, high stiffness, little vibration but nevertheless almost a neutral overall feel and a low repulsion level. The combination of high speed and low repulsion level is what makes it such a great blade for skilled topspin attackers.

Measurement procedure:

-Speed: A ball of certain speed is shot at the racket and the rebound speed is measured. This is done for three different impact speeds (approx. 5, 25 and 50 miles/hour). For each impact speed, the rebound speed is averaged over 10 shots. The blade is fixed 2 and 8 cm below the handle. The final value is an average over the three impact speed. Reference (100) is Rosewood V.

-Bending stiffness: Measured amount of bending (in mm) vs applied force. The blade is fixed 2 and 8 cm below the handle. Reference (100) is Rosewood V.

-Vibration: This is essentially dampening. The exponential decrease of the vibration amplitude is measured. The blade is fixed 2 and 8 cm below the handle. Reference (100) is Rosewood V.

-Repulsion: The time of the ball on the blade is measured. The blade is fixed 2 and 8 cm below the handle. Reference (100) is Rosewood V.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/16/2011 at 1:49pm
Sponsored Links

A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 6:31am
High Arc, may you reply or PM  me characteristics of ZJK blade and differences to TBS? Thanks, very much appreciated.
Blades: Donic Epox Carbotec AN 78g/ Jonyer Hinoki FL 72g
Rubbers: FH Tenergy 05 Red 2.1mm/Sriver EL 1.8mm
               BH Tenergy 05 Black 2.1mm/Sriver FX 1.5mm  
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 6:58am
Originally posted by A Touch A Touch wrote:

High Arc, may you reply or PM  me characteristics of ZJK blade and differences to TBS? Thanks, very much appreciated.

There is some ongoing discussion about the characteristics of the ZJK ALC. First some facts: It is very similar to the Viscaria. The shape of the head is different (both the head and the wings near the handle are less broad as compared to the Viscaria).

TBS
-------------
Weight: 112
Thickness: 97
Balance: 103
Speed (restitution): 112
Stiffness: 113
Vibration: 113
Repulsion: 92
Overall: 104

ZJK ALC
-------------
Weight: 108
Thickness: 97
Balance: 100
Speed (restitution): 113
Stiffness: 113
Vibration: 110
Repulsion: 89
Overall: 100

Overall the ZJK ALC is very similar to the TBS, but it gives more feedback (more vibration, i.e. lower value), it is softer and has a higher dwell (lower repulsion).

It should be noticed that
-weight
-balance
-speed
-stiffness
-vibration
-repulsion
are measured values. The neutral value of 100 (zero point) is set more or less arbitrarily.

-Speed and repulsion were measured with a high speed camera (not state-of-the-art, but very good). The values are averaged over three impact speed. The blade is fixed at the handle and for speed the rebound height is measured (for higher speed the time for a certain distance). For repulsion, the time of the ball on the blade is measured. The blade is fixed at two positions: 2 cm and 8 cm below the top of the handle.

-For stiffness the bending vs the applied force is measured. Blade mounting is like above.

-Vibration is measured as the average exponential decrease in the vibration amplitude.

-Overall feel is my personal impression and therefore purely subjective.

-The standard deviation for two identical measurements (including remounting the blade) is smaller than 1 point (except for vibration, where the standard deviation is 3 points).

-Measurements were done at the ETH.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/16/2011 at 2:02pm
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 7:07am
Thank you very much.Could tell me which has higher throw? Which has a more comfortable handle and what rubbers would suit it?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 7:10am
Originally posted by A Touch A Touch wrote:

Thank you very much.Could tell me which has higher throw? Which has a more comfortable handle and what rubbers would suit it?

ZJK ALC has a higher throw if you have T05 on top (my personal impression). I think that both handles are comfortable, but that's very personal. The FL handle of the ZJK ALC is much broader than the one of the TBS.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/16/2011 at 7:16am
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 7:11am
I have values for some other blades:

Viscaria, TB ALC, TB ZCL, JM, YEO, Rosewood, Offensive Classic, Clipper

I plan to make a topic with a comparative table.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/16/2011 at 7:21am
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 8:00am
does your measurements get affected by blade weight? In general what would happen to the values if you get a lighter blade of the same model?
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by stigatt stigatt wrote:

does your measurements get affected by blade weight? In general what would happen to the values if you get a lighter blade of the same model?

I don't have enough statistics (meaning like 10 blades of the same model) to back it up, but it seems that actually only speed is affected sort of proportionally, i.e. heavier = faster. But this conclusion only comes from comparing three TBS and two Viscarias. It seems that slight variations in the blade thickness have a more profound effect.

However, about 5 gr difference in weight or 0.1 mm in thickness leads to changes of 1-2 points, so not as significant as I would have expected (just realized that I need to put thickness there as well).
A Touch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Touch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 8:35am
Well, if you have larger hands, ZJK has a better FL handle. Right? Because TBS FL is just way too small for me. Isn't too personal ;)
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:13am

the data provided by high_arc are very interesting and imo confirm my feeling about the zjk blade.

Being the tbs (particullarly the last series) quite stiff the zjk is same stiffness but even with more speed and less vibration so it brings a more rigid and overall harder feeling.

but the worst part about the zjk has to do with less vibration and repulsion (the later maybe due to a somewhat softer touch) which brings imo a less lively blade.

less lively blade and with reduced feeling margin.

vibration brings feeling though also brings some disturbing. when drilling with the zjk the feeling is good at first because there is less disturbing feeling. however afterwards you miss that loss of feeling. worse control and less touch margin.

about the handle, the one i got fl handle was same thickness and width than my fl tbs. but i also read from people that one can get different thickness and width zjk handles. there is a deviation.

sure we are talking about blades in the same ball park and with same basic buiding. but to an experienced tester the differences are noticeable.

another important thing is that this is valid compared to a good tbs (i guess the 91 gr. one from high_arc it is). mine is also very good.

but there are some (quite light and thinner) tbs series that are bs.

Edited by ejmaster - 12/16/2011 at 11:39am
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:16am
do you have the values for Ebenholz VII? Would appreciate if you could post that as well. I have an opportunity to get a very light one - under 85g.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:27am

do you have the values for Ebenholz VII? Would appreciate if you could post that as well. I have an opportunity to get a very light one - under 85g.

Unfortunately not for Ebenholz VII. I have values for Rosewood V. I will post them later on.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

the data provided by high_arc are very interesting and imo confirm my feeling about the zjk blade.

Being the tbs (particullarly the last series) quite stiff the zjk is same stiffness but even with more speed and less vibration so it brings a more rigid and overall harder feeling.

but the worst part about the zjk has to do with less vibration and repulsion (the later maybe due to a somewhat softer touch) which brings imo a less lively blade.

vibration brings feeling though also brings some disturbing. when drilling with the zjk the feeling is good at first because there is less disturbing feeling. however afterwards you miss that loss of feeling. worse control and less touch margin.

about the handle, the one i got fl handle was same thickness and width than my fl tbs. but i also read from people that one can get different thickness and width zjk handles. there is a deviation.

I should have stressed out a bit more that the way I write the values higher values for Vibration actually mean less vibration. This is confusing but I wanted to be consisting in the sense that loosely speaking faster=harder=less vibration=less dwell (which is of course not always true).

Most values have physical units, but for simplification I chose an arbitrary scale (where only relative changes are truly correct). E.g. stiffness is measured as dx/dF, where x is the amount of bending (in mm) and F is the applied force; Speed is measured as the ratio of incoming ball speed and outgoing ball speed (as determined via time to travel a certain distance), repulsion is measured as the time the ball stay on the blade etc.

You will see that the Viscaria shows more vibration (i.e. has a smaller value) than the ZJK ALC.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/16/2011 at 11:48am
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:44am
ok thanks. Btw, are the speed and repulsion numbers for hig impact or low impact?
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:47am
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

I should have stressed out a bit more that the way I write the values higher values for Vibration actually mean less vibration. This is confusing but I wanted to be consisting in the sense that loosely speaking faster=harder=less vibration=less dwell (which is of course not always true).

Most values have physical units, but for simplification I chose an arbitrary scale (where only relative changes are truly correct). E.g. stiffness is measured as dx/dF, where x is the amount of bending (in mm) and F is the applied force; Speed is measured as the ratio of incoming ball speed and outgoing ball speed (as determined via heights), repulsion is measured as the time the ball stay on the blade etc.

You will see that the Viscaria shows more vibration (i.e. has a smaller value) than the ZJK ALC.

it is the result i was pointing out. the viscaria has more vibration than the zjk. i could imagine that the tbs had also more vibration because the old one i have also has.

however you are right and i was surprised the tbs had more vibration (because in the last years they come stiffer and less vibrating). i am quite sure your tbs is not like mine and also your viscaria is not like mine. they are very selected and good ones.

the logic of my comments remains the same.

so it is very important to select the blade because the data can change.

but ... and this is something i am absolutely sure.

the zjk blade compared to one of the good viscarias and tbs ones has worse feeling and control gears and feels overall more rigid and harder though a somewhat softer touch. 

Edited by ejmaster - 12/16/2011 at 1:27pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:54am

ok thanks. Btw, are the speed and repulsion numbers for hig impact or low impact?

it is measured for three different impact speeds (about 5, 25, 50 miles/hour, actually in km/h). the shown values are an average. surprisingly the obtained ratios for speed are almost independent of impact speed. the ratios of the rebound values become more pronounced as the impact speed is increased.
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 11:59am
thanks for that info. That is indeed surprising that ratios for speed are independent of impact.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 12:03pm

it is the result i was pointing out. the viscaria has more vibration than the zjk. i could imagine that the tbs had also more vibration because the old one i have also has.

however you are right and i was surprised the tbs had more vibration (because in the last years they come stiffer and less vibrating). i am quite sure your tbs is not like mine and also your viscaria is not like mine. they are very selected and good ones.

the logic of my comments remain the same.

so it is very important to select the blade because the data can change.

but ... and this is something i am absolutely sure.

the zjk blade compared to one of the good viscarias and tbs ones has worse feeling and control gears and feels overall more rigid and harder though a somewhat softer touch. 

We could go on and argue about it. You do not like the ZJK ALC. You don't have to, that's fine with me.

But simply saying that your Viscaria or TBS is particularly good (from which point of view anyway?) sounds a bit strange. Maybe your ZJK ALC is particularly bad and mine is just extremely superior to whatever has been there before...

If you have to choose such a special Viscaria makes me somehow assume that you say that the average Viscaria is not good (again from which point of view...).

I am simply reporting measured numbers, some players will like a blade with certain characteristics, others won't. The measurement procedure is of course not truly optimized, it was simply a first attempt. While it shows sometimes strong differences between different blades (e.g. TBS and TB ZLC), the differences for one kind of blade (e.g. TBS) are not that large, even if the weight and the thickness varies.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 12:13pm

thanks for that info. That is indeed surprising that ratios for speed are independent of impact.

Just looked up some values. for the offensive classic the rebound speed gets comparably smaller for higher impact speed. if you artificially set the ratio of the rebound speed for offensive classic and TBS = 1 for 5 miles/hour, this ratio is about 0.8 for high impact speed. But the Offensice Classic is the only true exception.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 12:15pm
in anycase high_arc it is a nice work what you did. this data is good to work with it. Thumbs Up

thank you.
EJ Club.

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 12:21pm
well i had not read your last post.

high_arc, i have sold about 14 tbs just in this forum. when i say mine is a selected one it is.

and the first batch of tbs i sold to people who remembered me at the beginning in the forum i sold in 40 $ (i didn't like at all those tbs).

the same with the viscaria and mm.

the mm i have is also selected from 12 mms from different years. and it is unique. you can believe it or not.

and about the viscaria same thing.

i am tempted to send you my tbs, viscaria and mm selected. i can tell you that you are going to throw your zjk to the basket.

about the zjk. my zjk was very good. i know when there can be something missing. i realize if maybe it is a thinner one, or a light one, a not solid one, a thinner handle one.... this kind of things.

theres is nothing to miss in my zjk. it is a different blade.

my zjk was perfect but maybe one can get a thicker handle one. the handle was the same as my good tbs (with a little thicker handle than others).

it is not a question about selecting the zjk. this blade is built with a different feeling performance. it is not a selection factor. 

Edited by ejmaster - 12/16/2011 at 12:54pm
EJ Club.

bibigon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:22pm
Hello, High_Arc. You've brought up very interesting topic indeed. Would you specify the measurement procedure and physical meaning of parameters? Some web reference maybe?
I encountered similar approach to quantitative blade characterization at IGSSTERN's site. There is no technical details of measurements unfortunately.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:30pm

in anycase high_arc it is a nice work what you did. this data is good to work with it. Thumbs Up

thank you.

Thanks. I tried to do something objective rather than subjective. I know that there is room left for improvement of the procedure, let's see whether I'll find time or not (it took me and a friend almost two days to do these tests).
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by bibigon bibigon wrote:

Hello, High_Arc. You've brought up very interesting topic indeed. Would you specify the measurement procedure and physical meaning of parameters? Some web reference maybe?
I encountered similar approach to quantitative blade characterization at IGSSTERN's site. There is no technical details of measurements unfortunately.

Actually the approach on the site you refer to is why I came up with my tests. I do not know how they measured things.
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:40pm
I am interested to see the results, too.  

I have played golf for years and the golfing powers that be are known for testing all golf equipment on a mechanical swing testing machine known as "Iron Byron" as it is modeled after the swing of the legendary Byron Nelson.  Iron Byron ensures that all equipment undergoes a uniform testing procedure.  

Does anyone know how the ITTF tests equipment in light of this?  If you did not know this already, five minutes on this forum will tell you that both blade and rubber "feel" is very subjective.  It would be nice to know that there is a universal reference table as even the best sources now such as the equipment databases are still based upon the aggregation of subjective inputs.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:51pm
Update measurement procedure on top. I will give more details and an overview table in a different thread when I find time.

I know the procedure is not perfect, but it's a starting point. Measurements were performed by me and a friend at the ETH. Feel free to criticize (though I will probably not have the time to repeat/improve).
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 1:53pm
High_Arc, it is interesting you have similar values to IGGSTERN's site at least for the TBS which I checked. If you have similar results for different blades like OC and Rosewood, then we might extrapolate that their results for blades you did not test would have been the same if you tested them also. 

edit: I mean the values are not exactly the same, but the relative assessments are the same. For example, TBS is fast and stiff (not too fast & not too stiff) but low repulsion.

Edited by stigatt - 12/16/2011 at 1:57pm
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 2:06pm

High_Arc, it is interesting you have similar values to IGGSTERN's site at least for the TBS which I checked. If you have similar results for different blades like OC and Rosewood, then we might extrapolate that their results for blades you did not test would have been the same if you tested them also. 

edit: I mean the values are not exactly the same, but the relative assessments are the same. For example, TBS is fast and stiff (not too fast & not too stiff) but low repulsion.

I need to cook now Wink. The Rosewood is my reference, because on their site it is close to neutral in many points. Therefore my values would in principle have to be adjusted. Actually the overall picture I get is rather similar, but I get several minor deviations.

Off now, back on Sunday (with an entire table).
bibigon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2011 at 2:32pm
Thank you for details, High_Arc. I'm especially interested, if you estimated absolute values of the repulsion time. If you did, what are they in average?
Sorry for many questions, but I have another one to ask )) Do you have an idea, what properties of blades define dwell time at low and high speed impacts? I mean, does stiffness of the blade and hardness of the outer ply contribute equally, irrespective of impact speed? E.g., both Viscaria and YE have comparable soft feel and supposedly comparable DT. Nevertheless, spinning ball over the table is much easier with YE.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2011 at 4:22pm
Sorry that I didn't find time to post this earlier.

Here the overview table I promised:

Blade:                 TBS     ZJKALC    Viscaria    TBALC    TBZLC    JM     Yeo   OC  Clipper
Weight:               112       108          112         108        104     108    106   90    116
Thickness:           97         97            98           98          96      97      100   94    108
Balance:              103       100          104         101        100     103    100   96    103
Speed:                112       113          114         114        117     113    98     82    114
Stiffness:             113       113         112          114        114     111    96     83    118    
Vibration:            113       110          109         111        105     102     98    96     100     
Repulsion:           92          89           92           90          104     89      90    88     102
Overall hardness: 104        100         102         101        108      90      96    92     108

As you can see, I find only little differences between the ALC blades. Most striking I find the differences between JM and TBZLC.

Edited by High_Arc - 12/20/2011 at 4:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic