Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people wipe near the net?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do people wipe near the net?
    Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:08am
I see at all the time. It seems to be most common in matches with players 2000 and up, the wiping of the table in that little corner at the edge of the table and the net. Look at 1:22 of this video so you can kind of see what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14diFwoqI8M&feature=related

In many games it's a cleaning motion, however other times, it's just as simple as putting your hand on that part of the table. I couldn't find anything explaining it in the rule book so can someone please tell me what this is done for?

Edited by Cho! - 12/17/2011 at 12:11am
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
Sponsored Links

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:11am
It cools/dries your hand. It's best to do up there as the ball won't hit there very often.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:12am
aah thanks. Makes perfect sense now.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:18am
there is a built-in fan in that part of the table that sends streams of air so if u put ur hadn there (like in bowling) it dries it up.

---
---
--- wait... WHAT IF WE HAD THAT IN TT ON A SIDE!!!! how awesome woudl that be!!!!Tongue
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 12:19am
to take a mini break and dry their hands 
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:07am
It's a great way to prevent your opponents most dangerous serves from being effective (spin wise).
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:12am
Also, "Why do people blow air at the end of the blade's handle?"
skip3119
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 2:07am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

I've seen this as well. Anyone care to explain these trivial table tennis gestures?
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 2:11am
it's a superstitious act thought to sway the TT god of nets and edges in your favor
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 11:04am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

I do this very often. It dries your hand and handle.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 4:05pm

Double posting occured.
     Deleted.

Edited by igorponger - 12/17/2011 at 4:23pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 4:07pm
Wiping one's hands on the table surface is an utterly disgusting sight anyway, and should be prohibited from the sport as soon as possible.
It is much the same nasty action to watch as if one pissing or vomiting in full view of the public.

At major events with a large attendance of spectators umpires should penalize the player wiping his hands on the table just the same way as they would do about spitting on the floor or obscene language, I believe, and will try my very best so as the proposal of 2006 has been eventually validate by ITTF someday in the future.

Page 54

16. Proposed by the USA Table Tennis Association

3.5.2 MISBEHAVIOUR
Players and coaches shall refrain from behaviour that may unfairly affect an opponent, offend spectators or bring the sport into disrepute, such as abusive language, deliberately breaking the ball or hitting it out of the playing area, kicking the table or surrounds, wiping the hands on the surface of the table and disrespect of match officials.

RACIONALE:
While one player is wiping his hand in his towel every 6 points, the other is wiping his hand on the surface of the table, some times at every point and some times more than one time between the two points.
▪ It looks rather offensive on the TV
▪ It disruptive to the continuous play.
▪ It delays the game and that in it is against the rules.
▪ It creates arguments between
the player and the umpire, as there
is no specific mention to it in the rules.

At major events with a large attendance of spectators umpires should penalize the player wiping his hands on the table just the same way as they would do about spitting on the floor or obscene language, I believe, and will try my very best so as the proposal of 2006 has been eventually validate by ITTF someday in the future.

Page 54

16. Proposed by the USA Table Tennis Association

3.5.2 MISBEHAVIOUR
Players and coaches shall refrain from behaviour that may unfairly affect an opponent, offend spectators or bring the sport into disrepute, such as abusive language, deliberately breaking the ball or hitting it out of the playing area, kicking the table or surrounds, wiping the hands on the surface of the table and disrespect of match officials.

RACIONALE:
While one player is wiping his hand in his towel every 6 points, the other is wiping his hand on the surface of the table, some times at every point and some times more than one time between the two points.
▪ It looks rather offensive on the TV
▪ It disruptive to the continuous play.
▪ It delays the game and that in it is against the rules.
▪ It creates arguments between
the player and the umpire, as there
is no specific mention to it in the rules.

thepongcast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepongcast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 4:20pm
If I have to dry my hands on the table I usually wipe on the front side of the table.  I don't have to move much and the ball doesn't bounce there.  While rare, I don't think it's really right to wipe your hands at usual spot because the ball can still land there, and I think I usually have a decent chance of returning those still.

For many the wipe has become a tic that helps them settle down for the next point.
Table tennis TV show & podcasts at ThePongcast.com
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 6:56pm
I honestly don't see the big fuss about wiping your hand on the table. You create such a thin film of water that it evaporates nearly instantaneously. Saying it can "unfairly affect an opponent, offend spectators or bring the sport into disrepute" seems extremely far fetched to me.

Profanity or lack of sportsmanship (like cheering when one gets a luck net or edge) I have an issue with. If you have your rituals that help you calm down and get ready for the next point, they do it. I shouldn't let it affect me and if it does, then I have to work on my mental game.

Then again, people see things differently.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 7:20pm
it is actually a bit disgusting....
the table is a surface of play and should be respected as such.

sweat is a personal body fluid which should not be placed in common places as the table.
what if tomorrow I decide to clean my nasal mucus in the table? or the wax from my ears? or I grab my balls and then clean the fluid in the table? LOL
it's the same concept.

also you are "somehow" leaving your sweat in the table so when you change sides the other guy when he cleans his hand grabs your remaining sweat, if there is any LOL

also some players use it as a way to break the rhythm or become a bit annoying to the opponent.
ma long is the best example of this.
for some strange reason he has been able to get away with it...

Edited by sa01 - 12/17/2011 at 7:27pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 7:41pm
I disagree about Ma Long being the best at breaking rhythm. I think that's Ma Lin.

Your hand sweating is a result of play so I think it's a lot more reasonable than snot or earwax.

As for disgusting, you're constantly throwing off dead skin cells all over the place. There's bacteria all over your skin and when you touch a playing object (say the ball) that gets transferred all over the place. Then the ball sometimes touches the floor and who knows where the other peoples' shoes have been.Dead But that's taking it way too far and getting paranoid.Thumbs Up

PTTC VP - 2011-12
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 9:35pm
yes ma long is not the best, he's just the one who does it more often.
you like sharing your sweat with other players and with the table, great.
I and many others don't.

Originally posted by TheRobot99 TheRobot99 wrote:

I disagree about Ma Long being the best at breaking rhythm. I think that's Ma Lin.

Your hand sweating is a result of play so I think it's a lot more reasonable than snot or earwax.

As for disgusting, you're constantly throwing off dead skin cells all over the place. There's bacteria all over your skin and when you touch a playing object (say the ball) that gets transferred all over the place. Then the ball sometimes touches the floor and who knows where the other peoples' shoes have been.Dead But that's taking it way too far and getting paranoid.Thumbs Up

Edited by sa01 - 12/17/2011 at 9:36pm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 2:40am
If sweat is so nasty, and you guys take offense by it, then how do you propose we penalise those players who drips sweat on the table from their forehead? Prevent them from leaning over the table at all?

I wouldn't mind having a rule against wiping sweat off against the table, but not because it's nasty, rather because it break the rhytm of play. Towel down after every six points should be enough.
The holy grail
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

If sweat is so nasty, and you guys take offense by it, then how do you propose we penalise those players who drips sweat on the table from their forehead? Prevent them from leaning over the table at all?

I wouldn't mind having a rule against wiping sweat off against the table, but not because it's nasty, rather because it break the rhytm of play. Towel down after every six points should be enough.
That actually bothers me even more as they tend to not wipe it off to minimize the affect on ball bounce. And that sweat is a lot more oily since it's from the face. Palm sweat isn't so oily unless there's something on your hands.....Shocked

PTTC VP - 2011-12
zephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 3:38pm
Are all of the responses in this thread legitimate? I seem some people arguing that wiping the hands should be illegal, but it seemed like they were just joking and then others were taking them seriously. I don't know how you could be against something that helps peoples consistency. A quick wipe at the front of the table doesn't take much time at all. My hand sweats a lot when I play and if i don't wipe it off it definitely affects me. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by zephyr zephyr wrote:

Are all of the responses in this thread legitimate? I seem some people arguing that wiping the hands should be illegal, but it seemed like they were just joking and then others were taking them seriously. I don't know how you could be against something that helps peoples consistency. A quick wipe at the front of the table doesn't take much time at all. My hand sweats a lot when I play and if i don't wipe it off it definitely affects me. 

When they wipe, it's to dry. When they place the palm down, it's to cool. Hot sweaty hands don't feel good.

PTTC VP - 2011-12
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2011 at 6:04pm
I sweat a lot and I can count on 1 hand how many times I've wiped my hand on the table.  I wear wristbands to help, but I either dry my hands on my towel, or+ my shorts.  
alter-ego View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Permabanned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alter-ego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 9:52am
I never clean my hand in the table.
AL_in_MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AL_in_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by zephyr zephyr wrote:

Put me in the "serious column" for thinking hand wiping on the table should be illegal. Dried sweat leaves a greasy spot, especially when there is a build-up of it from repeat serial sweat offenders.

The whole table is always potentially in play, and deliberately imparting a sweat blob that could affect or alter the way the the ball bounces or spins should obviously be illegal as a matter of logic and common sense. Don't you think most players would object if an opponent decided to wipe his greasy palms in the middle of the table? The issue is not where the sweat is wiped on the table, but that no sweat or other forms of human bodily fluids should be allowed to be deliberately imparted onto the playing surface.

Sorry, but a little sweat wiping spot in the corner is not OK. Every now and then a ball does land on that spot. An analogy might be:  I like to play pool also. The pool surface velvet makes a very nice hand wiper for my sweaty palms. Think it would be acceptable  to wipe on an inconspicuous small spot on the velvet?

Specific language forbidding the table hand wiping act would be welcome, IMO.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 12:32pm
hand wiping is illegal but for some reason I've never seen an umpire call it when a player wipes his/her hand on the table.  I agree with a lot of posts on here...I've never really liked it and I really hate it when I'm playing someone that is dripping sweat everywhere and they don't use a towel or wear head/wrist bands.  I played a match against an overweight player that sweats profusely and when we changed sides and I walked over to his side there was drops of sweat everywhere.  Are you kidding me! I'm not a germaphobe...but come on...wear a freakin head band and use a towel.  It can't be good for the table either when people are constantly wiping their sweat on it. 
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic