Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
Author
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 2:13pm
You can't custom order A Ferrari and expect it to be delivered in a week. Masterpieces take time. We all understand that :)
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Sponsored Links

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

If blade building was my full-time occupation, I could work through the list a bit faster.  Smile  Also, I work on the blades at a comfortable and unhurried pace, which produces the best results IMO.  And when I do get to your blade, you'll want me to take the time to do it right, won't you?  Wink
I must say that once the process is started, the time to complete a blade is more than reasonable. I was actually surprised by how quickly the blade was completed. Thumbs Up
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

If blade building was my full-time occupation, I could work through the list a bit faster.  Smile  Also, I work on the blades at a comfortable and unhurried pace, which produces the best results IMO.  And when I do get to your blade, you'll want me to take the time to do it right, won't you?  Wink
I must say that once the process is started, the time to complete a blade is more than reasonable. I was actually surprised by how quickly the blade was completed. Thumbs Up
Hey Mike - thanks for the updated review.  I'm glad to hear that the blade continues to please.  And, you'll need to take some blame for my current backlog of blade projects.  I started this thread with photos of your blade, and then the orders started to ramp up.  Smile

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 4:31pm
Hey Ross, I gladly take the blame for that...the blade is more than enough compensation Big smile I'm just happy I got in while you were still relatively 'unknown'. Now you are on your way to becoming a mytt celebrity LOL
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 5:05pm
Hey, Ross Leidy, are you gona try to figure how to add writing? I am buying too, if you can inscribe my words on it.. I think others would love that option too. Perhaps something similar to the inscription on my Virtuoso, but with more contrast. I really like the contrast in your blades. My Virtuoso in reality does not look nearly as good as on the OSP website
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 5:21pm
That red tide combination blade looks gorgeous. (all of them look gorgeous, but man, that would fit me so well)  I'm guessing these are not cheap though. Is $150 the right neighborhood?
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm
iliketurtles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2012 at 7:04pm
$140 is the starting point for a 5 or 7 ply custom composition using stocked materials.

1-Ply AH NWC - Butterfly Spin Art - Juic 999 Turbo
Tube Carbo - Andro Hexer HD - Donic Acuda S1 Turbo
Just waiting for the 999 Turbo...
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 12:55am
I've recently been put on the waiting list so I obviously have a while before I get my blade. I cannot comment on its aesthetics or playing characteristics yet, of course, but I would like to mention that Ross has been extraordinarily attentive, patient, and thorough in his emails.

Given that building blades is not his primary job and that he is dealing with a variety of others wanting one of his products, his correspondence is even more impressive to me. 

If he can build a blade even half as well as he conducts business then I'm sure to be very happy with my purchase. Thumbs Up

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I've recently been put on the waiting list so I obviously have a while before I get my blade. I cannot comment on its aesthetics or playing characteristics yet, of course, but I would like to mention that Ross has been extraordinarily attentive, patient, and thorough in his emails.

Given that building blades is not his primary job and that he is dealing with a variety of others wanting one of his products, his correspondence is even more impressive to me. 

If he can build a blade even half as well as he conducts business then I'm sure to be very happy with my purchase. Thumbs Up

I agree with you Anton, I could not have said it better myself
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 9:28am
Hey guys, thanks.  I do try to be responsive and to keep people updated on blade build progress.  I admit, it is a challenge to strike the right balance between responding to email, working on blades, working on projects around the house, etc.  Oh, and having a life.  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 9:36am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Hey, Ross Leidy, are you gona try to figure how to add writing? I am buying too, if you can inscribe my words on it.. I think others would love that option too. Perhaps something similar to the inscription on my Virtuoso, but with more contrast. I really like the contrast in your blades. My Virtuoso in reality does not look nearly as good as on the OSP website
Until I have the luxury of investing in a cnc machine or laser engraver, I won't be able to do any inscriptions.  It would be a nice option, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 11:50am
How about a Pentagraph with a Dremel mounted to it?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 11:54am

Until I have the luxury of investing in a cnc machine or laser engraver, I won't be able to do any inscriptions.  It would be a nice option, but I don't think it will happen any time soon.

I demand a perfect replication of the Mona Lisa laser etched into the face of my blade, or just take me off the waiting list right now. 

Big smile

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Best99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Best99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Even at 7 plies it is a thin blade and it has flex. For that reason it behaves more like a 5-ply. The koto is not hard enough to make it stiff and the result is a solid feel, medium soft with not much of an impact transfered to the hand at ball contact.

I believe that if the blade had walnut instead of koto it would've had a more solid feel, which IMO would've been somewhat better. What do you think?
Blade: Timo Boll ALC 92 g.
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (black)
Backhand: Tenergy 05 2.1 mm. (red).
Perfect loops
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2012 at 9:56pm
Speaking from the perspective of top plys Koto is just as hard as Walnut, I'd bet Walnut is more elastic as it seems to make more bounce when used with a softer 2nd ply than Koto does. Choosing between those would only depend if you like bounce in the blade or not and if you are using a soft 2nd ply. Imho Walnut sounds better and Maple is different again and makes an awesome sound too

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 9:42am
I wanted to share a couple photos of the blade that I just completed for aeoliah.  The shape is based on the Violin J-pen, and even the composition starts out like the Violin with a kiri core and white ash medials.  But the similarity ends there with this blade using the very hard, very beautiful bloodwood outers.  It's going to be a fast one!

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 9:57am
Can we also have side views of the plies, please. This looks really nice.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 10:59am
I had a feeling someone would ask for that.  Smile

TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 1:01pm
Thanks a lot Ross. Nice work.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 1:23pm
That is one nice-looking jpen!

What about the flex?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by iliketurtles iliketurtles wrote:

That is one nice-looking jpen!

What about the flex?

The thickness is just under 6mm, so it's not super thin.  And given that the bloodwood is fairly stiff on it's own and the small head of the J-pen, I believe it will be fairly stiff overall.  We'll have to wait until aeoliah has a chance to give it a try to get the final word.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2012 at 11:50pm
I am very happy to see the pictures. It is very nice indeed ! Since the only difference with Violin is only the outer ply, I believe it would be just the "Faster Violin".
Ross, will the blade come with your logo on the handle ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 7:37am
witwew!!!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 8:41am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

I am very happy to see the pictures. It is very nice indeed ! Since the only difference with Violin is only the outer ply, I believe it would be just the "Faster Violin".

it's also thicker than violin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

I have not yet come across a kind of marking or labeling that I feel suits the blades.  I would love to be able to add inlays to the wood, but a laser engraver is not in the budget right now.  :)  So, to answer you question, my blades do not have any mark or logo.  The lack of mark is my mark.  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 9:39am
After working with the masur birch for the handle on mmerkel's blade (first post in this thread), I've been keeping my eyes open for more of it.  I stumbled a cross a small batch of masur birch veneer, and I quickly snatched it up.   I put together this 5-ply with a kiri core, mahogany medials, and masur birch outers.  I estimate it will be an OFF with only a small amount of flex.   Since it will be my test blade, I used my current favorite vase-shaped anatomic handle.  The handle woods are jobillo and purpleheart.

I don't know how it's going to play (yet), but I sure like the look of that masur birch.  Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 10:17am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

how much does it weight?
It's around 89g.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 10:18am
That's beautiful! Now if it plays half as good as it looks, it's gonna be a killer Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 10:35am
I think I just had an eyegasm!

Nice work Ross!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 10:45am
Gorgeous blade.  The top ply looks hard.  Is it as hard as the bloodwood?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
  Share Topic