Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to know when a rubber is dead?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cdubdub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to know when a rubber is dead?
    Posted: 12/29/2011 at 7:49pm
How do you figure out when a rubber is completely dead? Everywhere I see 80% life, 50 % life left etc.
How do you know when it transitions to completely dead?
How long does this usually take?
What would the difference be from a 50% rubber to a 30% rubber, etc.
Thanks!
butterfly tbs
dhs tin arc
sriver- l
Sponsored Links

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by cdubdub cdubdub wrote:

How do you figure out when a rubber is completely dead? Everywhere I see 80% life, 50 % life left etc.
How do you know when it transitions to completely dead?
How long does this usually take?
What would the difference be from a 50% rubber to a 30% rubber, etc.
Thanks!

You know when it's completely dead when it loses all grip and running the ball on top of it is like running it on top of glass.  As for the 80%, 30% stuff, it's all estimate, and they're usually wildly inaccurate at that.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 8:06pm
Every rubber is different. If you take great care of it and clean after each use and apply SpinMAX once in awhile, the life will increase. The way I test its life is by throwing the ball up, snapping my wrist under the ball to create heavy spin, and then let the ball hit the rubber. If the ball shoots off to the side, then your rubber is in good condition. I got a new sheet of Joola Express and when I tested it, it SHOT off the rubber to the point where I couldnt retrieve the ball after it hit my blade. On my dead rubber I tried the same thing and the ball basically didn't shot at all and hardly reacted to the spin. I guess the best way to test its life is do the test when you first get your rubber and get an idea of how much it shoots off and then keep doing that everytime you want to know how much life it has. Rubbers have lifes of two months to over a year. It all depends on the rubber and how well you treat it!
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 8:36pm
Good reason to have a backup blade, to do comparisons between old & new rubbers, and comparisons
between different rubbers. Rubber degradation occurs over time and is subjective, so it is hard to tell
unless you can compare setups.  Also good idea to use old setup for practice and fresh rubbers for tournament play.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 10:36pm
Some players feel the rubber for broken pips. That's why you sometimes see them remove the rubber to check them, while others will press on it while on the blade.
They do this even with new rubbers. Some of the old pros would take 10 rubbers from their sponsors and discard several immediately. But this was in the SG days. I think they probably do the same today.
Me, I've never been able to feel any broken pips.
I suppose it's like spinning the ball to check its trueness. Again, I can't tell the difference with today's balls. 
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 6:28am
When it keels and falls over and stops breathing and you cannot revive it and electric shocks don't work and it won't respond when you call its name...its dead! :P
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 8:41am
Hi,
You do not need to know when your rubber will be completely dead!. After playing for a period (assuming you played twice a week 2 to 3 hours) in 2 to 3 months time you will find that you could hardly produce any more strong spin, your serves are not spinny any more and you also find that you could receive some serves that you could not do so from the same opponents.. these are evidence of the rubber is dying.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2011 at 9:26am
Originally posted by jinlai jinlai wrote:

Hi,
You do not need to know when your rubber will be completely dead!. After playing for a period (assuming you played twice a week 2 to 3 hours) in 2 to 3 months time you will find that you could hardly produce any more strong spin, your serves are not spinny any more and you also find that you could receive some serves that you could not do so from the same opponents.. these are evidence of the rubber is dying.

I think your estimates are wayy off. The range you describe is only 16-36 hours of play.
If you're only getting 16-36 hours of play out of a sheet of modern rubber, I wonder how and if you maintain them.

At my level, I find that the newer gen tensors and even Neos Provincial H3's will last almost 100 hours before the drop in performance between an old and new sheet is significant.

For the last 18 months, I have replaced both FH/BH every 6 months (80-100 hrs) and have done the side by side with the old compared to new (by moving the old to my backup blade).

I did this without tuner, without regluing, simply attach and play until it was time for new rubbers.

After that much use the Neo Provincial H3's lack the original factory tune and are not as fast or as crisp. The Acuda S3's actually feel closer to new, (because they weren't dependent on a "factory tune" for enhanced performance). In both cases the topsheet's feel similar to new (due to maintainence) but the sponge softens/breaks down a little.

In any event, I gave the first sheets a 2nd home and they still look good/play decently after 200 hours. Not as fast or as spinny when new, but still able to outperform many other rubbers that are new...

Note:
People who hit and drive a lot more than me could probably kill the sponge faster.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic