Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Poly ball review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 4:00am
Icontek,

I found a simpler test then making a video for this equilibrium idea  (" on flight a spinning ball the seam moves to the outeredge of the spinning plane due to centrifugal effect ).  Found it
from watching Henzell's video.

It,s basically the same test as Henzel does with the polyball for roundness ; making a ball spin on a smooth surface. I did this test maybe ten minutes ago with a doublehappiness ball after I saw the video.
The ball allready has a logomarking positioned on the seam.  With the logo kept on top (seam oriented vertical) from making it spin it shows clearly that the logo does spiral outward from the top towards the edge fairly quick. It then (now watching the ball sideways) stops and stays halfway. The logo keeps rotating horizontal from then until the spinning stops.

Testing this several times and also for other orientations to start with (logo at the bottom) it,s same idea all the time. Very likely this also happens in play.
Offcourse this means the seam orients correspondingly and the ball behaves as a round shaped spinning-top except that it doesn,t fall to a side when it stops spinning. Similarity with spinning tops is also that it tends to stay more at one position from when it has a stable spin (finding equilibrium).

So when Henzel does this test for roundness comparing these two balls it probably shows how the ball lacks a seam to stabalize and stay at one place. Henzel concludes it,s not round from this but more likely it behaves this way from being too round for weightdistribution.

Another ball I had was damaged allready so I cut this one open and it has a clear ridge inside (both dhs trainingsballs). Possibly three star celluloid balls allready are more point symmetrical for weightdistribution ?

Edited by mercuur - 06/01/2012 at 4:09am

Sponsored Links

TaFei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 4:44am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I use JUIC 999 turbo, which is spinnier than Tenergy for my stroke, and I still wasn't getting much curve on the ball.

I don't think we can just assume the balls will get better, since I don't think they would have released these balls unless they thought they were close to the final thing.

Note that the ITTF have already voted in these new balls, AND set a date for their introduction, AND notified manufactures that the new ball will com into effect, all WELL BEFORE the balls have been finalised! So even if they can't come up with a decent ball, chances are the manufacturers won't be making the old balls anymore. Ouch

They shouldn't let ittf vote on the new balls. What does the ittf know about table tennis anyway???
They should let the table tennis players vote on it using the table tennis forums.
Perhaps we could try it for one year then if we don't like it, we'll petition the ittf to revert thru the forms.
Meanwhile, can somebody start a petition calling for sharrra to quit. Immediately.
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

I think before everyone gets carried away about the new ball there are two important things to remember...

1. As far as I am aware all the new balls floating around are samples. There are no mass produced balls yet which indicates that the ball is still being developed. Until we get mass produced versions you won't know excatly what the new ball will be like to play with.

2. Regardless of the diffeerences present in the new ball, table tennis will remain to be a game where one player faces another (or pair vs pair) and the better player on the day will win. This is no different to other factors that influence the game such as extreme temps, high humidity (makes looping very hard), lots of noise or other external factors. Both players have the same opportunities. To complain that the new ball has ruined your game is like a garage player being smashed by ma long and the saying (I would beat him if I trained more).

Well...............

If you take that attitude...then for the players that practiced and trained so hard to learn a certain aspect of the current game (that, to me, is a spin oriented game), you are taking a skill set away from them. You have someone who doesn't have that spin skill set and have equaled the playing field somewhat to those that did have that skill set. Meaning, you have just dis-advantaged those spin oriented players. Same opportunities? Not.

Sure... after a lot of time...then I can see the same opportunity argument.

Heck.. if you want same opportunities..... have one blade/rubber for all. Then equipment will never be the reason someone has an advantage over someone else.

Having a simple item, that DOESN'T NEED CHANGING, have the potential to change the entire way the game is currently played, is quite frankly....ludicrous.

Still awaiting a good explanation of the reason to change the ball.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 1:10pm
I'm confidant as soon as the general public can get hold of this ball the law will be revised until it plays identical to the current ball. Let's just hope that happens before it's too late. Way too many young people still following what the ITTF suggest like blind sheep. I'm very disappointed in that attitude. It's the very same attitude that's let governments around the world become power crazy, why let an organisation that's some quasi want to be government do this to our (the players) sport?. Lets just say enough is enough, change the material sure but do it right and if it can't be done right then don't do it. Don't let it be some thinly disguised excuse to remove spin which is the greatest part of modern table tennis from the game.

Edited by bluebucket - 06/01/2012 at 1:16pm
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 1:57pm
What will changing the material do if the ball plays the exact same way? We have seen already that durability isn't any better, at least with the posted review. Of course, final ball is still a ways away.

I'm still waiting for the great reason on why to switch to plastic balls instead of keeping celluloid.

Maybe I missed it.

Edited by j-bo - 06/01/2012 at 1:58pm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

So when Henzel does this test for roundness comparing these two balls it probably shows how the ball lacks a seam to stabalize and stay at one place. Henzel concludes it,s not round from this but more likely it behaves this way from being too round for weightdistribution.
"Too round for weight distribution" This makes no sense. Confused 

He's doing a test for roundness and says the movement of the ball side to side indicates that it is not round. Seam or no seam, centrifugal force should stabilize the spinning of the ball around the axis upon which it is spun. If the ball were perfectly round and didn't have any markings on it, you wouldn't perceive it orienting the heaviest spot towards the table, it would appear to be spinning perfectly in place. The wobble shows the lack of roundness, not a heavy spot (I.E. seam or defect).
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

"Too round for weight distribution" This makes no sense. Confused 

I mean more even weightdistribution, no seam. The ball can,t find a stable spot and keeps moving somewhat restless on the table. The slightest unevenness on the tablesurface or it,s own shape it reacts more sensitive. Henzell just concludes a bit too rapidly from what he sees.

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Seam or no seam, centrifugal force should stabilize the spinning of the ball around the axis upon which it is spun. 

Once the ball has oriented it is more stable but before that it,s less stable. At least for where it stays on the table. Moving on a floor for a spinning top is also part of finding it,s orientation.
At that moment the centripetal force comes in stronger because the moment of inertia can,t increase any further. That,s why centrifugal force is not really accepted as a force for fysics only centripetal.
That,s also why I used the term centrifugal effect (as an outward accelleration). This effect stops at certain moment when the seam is horizontal. I guess centripetal force (or the tension between centripetal force and centrifugal effect or accelleration ?) reaches a maximum then and then the stabillity and predictabillity also is better.

This could be relevant for regular topspin and backspin play (or topspin to backspin) because the orientation for the ball is constant then for this.
Exaggerated it,s like playing with a tiny frisbeering then when the ball has a seam.
It gives a slight flying wheel idea ; more angular momentum can be loaded and the ball feels heavier on the bat for topspin-topspin play from incoming spin. But lighter for topspin on backspin.
This polyball would feel lighter for topspin tó topspin but heavier for topspin on backspin.
Weird ball.

Edited by mercuur - 06/01/2012 at 7:55pm

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

I think before everyone gets carried away about the new ball there are two important things to remember...

1. As far as I am aware all the new balls floating around are samples. There are no mass produced balls yet which indicates that the ball is still being developed. Until we get mass produced versions you won't know excatly what the new ball will be like to play with.

2. Regardless of the diffeerences present in the new ball, table tennis will remain to be a game where one player faces another (or pair vs pair) and the better player on the day will win. This is no different to other factors that influence the game such as extreme temps, high humidity (makes looping very hard), lots of noise or other external factors. Both players have the same opportunities. To complauin that the new ball has ruined your game is like a garage player being smashed by ma long and the saying (I would beat him if I trained more).
Well...............If you take that attitude...then for the players that practiced and trained so hard to learn a certain aspect of the current game (that, to me, is a spin oriented game), you are taking a skill set away from them. You have someone who doesn't have that spin skill set and have equaled the playing field somewhat to those that did have that skill set. Meaning, you have just dis-advantaged those spin oriented players. Same opportunities? Not.Sure... after a lot of time...then I can see the same opportunity argument. Heck.. if you want same opportunities..... have one blade/rubber for all. Then equipment will never be the reason someone has an advantage over someone else. Having a simple item, that DOESN'T NEED CHANGING, have the potential to change the entire way the game is currently played, is quite frankly....ludicrous.Still awaiting a good explanation of the reason to change the ball.

It is changing because apparently the production of the current ball involves harmful chemicals. I also race RC cars and about 5 years ago all the tyre compunds changed to elimination a harmful chemical in their production. Performance was lost initially but now these days you can ger tyres that not only better performance of tye older ones, but are fast for many races instead of just a single run like the old ones. The new balls will be different, but the will improve and may possibly make the game better than ever. We will have to wait and see....

BTW.. I also play heavy spin, but I look forwars to the challenge of the new ball anyway.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 10:14am
GoldenDragoon,

I also believe in this time and age (and techonology), we should be able to see better balls coming over time progresses. Trial and Error.
But too bad, we are all guinea pigs.
BTW, will the new balls be more expensive?

Re-tyres. Why is TT rubbers/balls so expensive? is it really worth so much?
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

I'm still waiting for the great reason on why to switch to plastic balls instead of keeping celluloid.

E.g. make players spend a lot of money trying to find an equipment to cope with the different properties of the plastic ball.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 7:42pm
Follow the money.  Except we can't because ITTF is not transparent.
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Follow the money.  Except we can't because ITTF is not transparent.

One possible way were to compare Sharara's financial situation prior to his presidency with the present one. I am very curious. As a starting point, I can not find any information on the internet about his business activities before 2000.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 9:26pm
Lets keep this thread on the topic of the new poly balls, thanks guys. I think we've already got enough topics on the ITTF.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 10:51pm
I'm ok with that haggis, but until we actually get some of these balls to try ourselves, it is all speculation anyway.  So we have nothing else to complain about except why they need to make this stupid change.  But as you say, there are other threads to do that.  I started one myself, comparing Adham Shahara to Sepp Blatter.

Of course, it may turn out that we like the new balls and it will all blow over.  Or the balls may crack like crazy, play like crap, and cost three dollars apiece.  And then we will have to ask again, who benefits?  For the moment, we have William Henzel's description, which was not very encouraging.

Edited by Baal - 06/03/2012 at 10:51pm
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 2:01am
$3 each? That might be way too low. They had to make all NEW machines, not modify the old. New molds. Years of research and still not done. No profit yet. $5 or $6 each is not out of the question. They will set the price to pay for the money spent already. Thumbs Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 4:19am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

$3 each? That might be way too low. They had to make all NEW machines, not modify the old. New molds. Years of research and still not done. No profit yet. $5 or $6 each is not out of the question. They will set the price to pay for the money spent already. Thumbs Down

Agree, Thumbs Down

I can't believe we are funding these people, like giving them an arm, and they are talking the whole body.....

Once they get away with price increase / murder, we will get special rubbers that needs to have special chemicial in there/or out and will also become double the price. Blades will follow, even tables....

I wonder who is boss, us the payers (like tax payers), or ITTF president (so that is why you should all come here http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50662&PN=1#625993 )
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 10:33am

Usually, when manufacturers or service providers switch technology it is because the newer tech can save them money while achieving the similar results to the old.

And I agree that the startup costs for the new balls will need to be recouped.

However, we still don't have information regarding material cost for cellulose vs plastic.
Nor do we have any information regarding other production cost savings from the new equipment.

With items like table tennis balls, saving just $0.10 on material and manufacturing costs per ball in production would yield millions of dollars in new profits annually.

Now if only the final balls are more durable and consistent than the 40mm celluloid balls... That's one of the big reasons I miss the 38mm balls. The Nittaku Premium 38's were worth their outrageous price in those days.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 4:16pm
So... there is not a GOOD reason.

I can think of many items that are produced where people where protective gear to make it. With all of the automation.... I guess I get to say BullHockey on this! Big smile

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 4:41pm
I like the picture explaining the fabrication process:
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 6:02pm
I have been in blow molding, injection molding and extrusion business many years. Material costs are usually a very small part of the final cost. This process will cost much more for heating and then cooling each ball as they are made.

I believe the reason they break more now, the ball weight stayed the same, the diameter increased. The new ball is THINNER. Surface area goes up FAST as diameter is increased. These facts were known. I believe "the ban" was just smoke to cover the real reason for a new ball, a way to introduce a BIGGER BALL. If they had changed ONLY the material, I might be more willing to accept the new ball. There was absolutly NO reason to make the ball bigger. Thumbs Down
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 3:41am
YES, reasons a plenty! How about a few million smackeroos worth of them?!!!
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:13am

I believe "the ban" was just smoke to cover the real reason for a new ball, a way to introduce a BIGGER BALL. If they had changed ONLY the material, I might be more willing to accept the new ball. There was absolutly NO reason to make the ball bigger. Thumbs Down

+1 what a load of bullsh*t. The ITTF must think table tennis players are all stupid
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 11:17am
I've started a petition. Might not do a thing, but makes me feel at least I've tried. 10k signatures is the goal.

Keep the Celluloid Balls Petition
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 1:41pm
Am I the only one around here that thinks all this crying about something they haven't personally tried is dumb?

I'm not in favor of making a pointless change, but I'm willing to actually try it like a reasonable person....
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

Am I the only one around here that thinks all this crying about something they haven't personally tried is dumb?

I'm not in favor of making a pointless change, but I'm willing to actually try it like a reasonable person....

There are reviews on the ball. I think any reasonable person can draw their own conclusions without trying the ball.

My gripe is.... there isn't a reason to change anyway.
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 2:12pm
i think the thing to do is to accumulate some money then use that money to dispose of the current tub of lard that runs the ITTF
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 2:19pm
I'm certainly willing to wait and see, but am not optimistic.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 2:37pm
The manufacturers still have time to adjust the construction of the plastic ball. Let's face it - the ittf were always going to get a kicking with this. They had to release a ball for high level testing eventually. Without legally binding NDAs in place, first impressions would always appear online. And then the community were always going to jump on every word, whipping up a storm of indignity.

There haven't been enough reviews to make a judgement yet.

Until you try one for yourself, you're just speculating.

These aren't the end product balls, so things could be quite different in 2 years time.

Celluloid is a niche material these days, and has been phased out of many industries. It can be dangerous to manufacture. Even if you argue the point on the dangers, then from a commercial perspective it's still bad form to have a limited manufacturing base. The switch to plastics should open up the market to many more companies, which will improve competition and in the long run drive down prices.

I wish I understood the need to increase the ball size though. I understand the literal point that the ball should be 40mm, but is currently smaller. But why bother changing this as part of the switch to plastic?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Lestat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lestat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

You spoke like a true sheeple Clap

I think we have all the reasons to be suspicious and I'd rather accuse them in the wrong, than be reasonable and get shafted.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 3:46pm
I think it is not about being a reasonable person who is willing to test and then comment yes or no.
But it is rather that the reasoning behind such change, as it has been dishonest to us.

We were lied to with claims that there is a world wide celluloid ban..... which we are still waiting to happen. Apprently people making these balls life is in danger? (How about using Apple Iphone?)

If they were honest to us up front, ie increasing the ball size, reducing the spin etc, we will likely welcome it more and treat it with a reasonable person attitude like, let me test it first.

So, if you lie to me (weither it is good or bad), then that is wrong, and worse if you come back chaning your story.
Not to mention, possible corruption/financial activities that no one is allowed to audit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic