Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Concave vs. Convex Loop (Which is which/better?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concave vs. Convex Loop (Which is which/better?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

And for that to happen the best path to follow during a swing is a curve that most closely resembles the brachistochrone.

The brachistochrone works because the brachistochrone allows the ball to drop or accelerate faster initially.  This isn't the case with a swing that opposes gravity.

I know where you are going with this.  You are thinking of the brachistochone with a upwards swing where the swing starts out shallow to get moving and then starts in the upwards direction.  Good one, but if the paddle attitude is always changing the resulting timing errors will result in poor control.  However, if the paddle attitude can be kept constant during the up swing it may work.   The big question is will this make any practical difference?   Most of us can swing far faster than what is necessary anyway.

Sponsored Links

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 1:52pm
I am getting there.

Forget the maths and the gravity.  The keyword here is time.  It is time, not distance, that really matters in producing the best swing.  And for that to happen the best path to follow during a swing is a curve that most closely resembles the brachistochrone.  Concave or convex, positive or negative, however you name it.  It may sound counter-intuitive, but the longer path does produce the least time and we see signs of it in videos of the pros.  And one thing is for sure, that path has never been and probably never will be a straight line as those who are in denial of any curvature in swing mechanics may have imagined.  They could have been doing it all along without even realizing.

The answer is out there, that the way we live, the tools we use, and the many things we come across during our lives are largely inspired by Nature.  As it turns out, we humans tend to ignore it and overcomplicate things.  As Johann Bernoulli himself has put it - "Nature always tends to act in the simplest way, and so it here lets one curve serve two different functions, while under any other hypothesis we should need two curves..."

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2012 at 1:55pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 11:13am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

can someone correlate these math equations or whatever it is to TT?
You can't don't sweat it.

sorry not really good at math
Those that figured this problem out were the best of their time.  The Timo Bolls and Ma Longs of math and physics.   There I related this to TT.

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 10:25am
can someone correlate these math equations or whatever it is to TT? sorry not really good at math
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 10:08am
Nice,  the problem can be solved symbolically and there are only 16 steps!  If I had to solve that problem I would have written the differential equations and solved iteratively using RK4.   That would have been a lot of work.  So many problems I run into don't have a symbolic solution and the problem must be solved using brute force iteration.   With a symbolic solution you have a proof.  With a iterative one you don't because that works with one set if numbers.

What amazes me is those mathematicians from the past didn't have Mathematica.   How did they know there was a symbolic solution?   It is amazing what people can do when their mind is "stupidfied" with TV.  I would imagine this is common knowledge for those that design roller coasters. Zeio, where else would you apply this?   I don't see what this has to do with TT.

power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 9:32am
Not really following this argument.  
What aspect of a TT forehand swing is powered by gravity?
So the fastest swing follows the path of a cycloid?

You think any of the top TT players in the CNT can do a simple math proof...

These models are not intuitive at all.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 6:56am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

For those who have chosen to jump to conclusions, I invite them to answer the following question.

Given two balls released from the top at the same time, which one reaches the bottom in the shortest time, Red or Green? Why?

Which_one_reaches_the_bottom_first_Red_or_Green

Sliding or rolling? Friction?

Off the cuff I would say green(if they are rolling, or sliding with no friction). Larger initial acceleration(linear and rotational) in the beginning and greater momentum and inertia at the end to maintain velocity. The green ball is accelerating/moving/rolling a lot faster.

You will have to explain the relevance. I don't get it. 

Doesn't matter whether there is friction or not.  The end result is the same.

You are correct in picking the green, but you may be surprised to know that the acceleration of the ball down the path is actually constant.  The mass and thus inertia of the ball also does not have any effect on its speed, as evidenced by the conservation of energy.  It just so happens that the curve produces the best speed from the acceleration due to gravity.

The curve seen in the image is referred as the Brachistochrone curve, which is Greek for "the shortest time."  The brachistochrone curve happens to be a segment of an inverted cycloid.  Before the brachistochrone was solved, the closely related Tautochrone curve, meaning "same time," was found to be part of a cycloid also. 

For those who are still reading:

The brachistochrone problem was first posed by Johann Bernoulli, in which a point is to start from rest at point a and, solely under the effect of gravity, follow down to point b along a curve that is to be covered in the least time.

Quote The brachistochrone problem was posed by Johann Bernoulli in Acta Eruditorum in June 1696. He introduced the problem as follows:-

I, Johann Bernoulli, address the most brilliant mathematicians in the world. Nothing is more attractive to intelligent people than an honest, challenging problem, whose possible solution will bestow fame and remain as a lasting monument. Following the example set by Pascal, Fermat, etc., I hope to gain the gratitude of the whole scientific community by placing before the finest mathematicians of our time a problem which will test their methods and the strength of their intellect. If someone communicates to me the solution of the proposed problem, I shall publicly declare him worthy of praise.

The problem he posed was the following:-

Given two points A and B in a vertical plane, what is the curve traced out by a point acted on only by gravity, which starts at A and reaches B in the shortest time.

Johann Bernoulli was not the first to consider the brachistochrone problem. Galileo in 1638 had studied the problem in his famous work Discourse on two new sciences. His version of the problem was first to find the straight line from a point A to the point on a vertical line which it would reach the quickest. He correctly calculated that such a line from A to the vertical line would be at an angle of 45 reaching the required vertical line at B say.

He calculated the time taken for the point to move from A to B in a straight line, then he showed that the point would reach B more quickly if it travelled along the two line segments AC followed by CB where C is a point on an arc of a circle.

Although Galileo was perfectly correct in this, he then made an error when he next argued that the path of quickest descent from A to B would be an arc of a circle - an incorrect deduction.

Quote The brachistochrone problem was one of the earliest problems posed in the calculus of variations. Newton was challenged to solve the problem in 1696, and did so the very next day (Boyer and Merzbach 1991, p. 405). In fact, the solution, which is a segment of a cycloid, was found by Leibniz, L'Hospital, Newton, and the two Bernoullis. Johann Bernoulli solved the problem using the analogous one of considering the path of light refracted by transparent layers of varying density (Mach 1893, Gardner 1984, Courant and Robbins 1996). Actually, Johann Bernoulli had originally found an incorrect proof that the curve is a cycloid, and challenged his brother Jakob to find the required curve. When Jakob correctly did so, Johann tried to substitute the proof for his own (Boyer and Merzbach 1991, p. 417).

Follow the second quoted passage to see the maths behind it.  Equations (16) and beyond consider the condition where friction is present.  The curve is slightly different as a result of that.

Edited by zeio - 06/24/2012 at 7:01am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 6:47am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

A famous English dude figured this out in 1696 :-)

It is obvious, isn't it?  I bet he must both be kicking in his coffin and having a good laugh, to see that human nature has not changed all that much since his time.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
hobbes203 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbes203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 5:20am
@Zeio

Couldn't resist answering that question, both objects are of the same mass and has the same qualities (same kinetic and static friction, etc), and the ramps are also equivalent, then both would hit the bottom at the same time whether they slide or roll. Easiest way to do this is energy, but I'll leave it at that.

The important question is what are the accelerations of the objects at the bottom? (Answer should be a vector quantity, magnitude and direction).

Given a very, very general scenario, the comparison of the balls at the bottom of the ramp can be applied to the moment a table tennis ball at a fixed point is contacted by the concave and convex strokes. At this point, I won't try to get into springs, torque, friction, and the magnus effect. Generally, the ballistics of the ball is determined by the magnitude and acceleration at different contacts of a controlled ball. 

I'm no expert but really just try the strokes for yourself, have a robot hit one spot and hit the ball at the same spot with controlled similar-accelerated but different swings.

Also pnachtwey +1 from me Big smile

Edited by hobbes203 - 06/24/2012 at 6:03am
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 4:34am

Here is WLQ counter hitting. He is clearly guiding his paddle in a modified circular path. I say modified because the take back is like a semi circle but the forward part is flattened out. 

Again. This time the well referenced ML slow mo FH.  Similar motion. Starting from the ready position. Paddle goes down, then back beside the right knee. Then slightly up and then flattens out as it moves forward into the ball.

So the question is why do a circular motion at all? Why not do more of a straight back and strait forward motion? 

Like this.

Or this.

Iwill grant you that Timo and BP are still making a slightly squashed oval, albeit slight, but it looks nothing like what WLQ and ML are doing.

Some related questions-
Why is ML's elbow so close to the body on the take back? why does the paddle usually stop beside the knee? Why does ML's knee seem to collapse inward slightly?(So does RSM's btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVzq-OnBcM&feature=player_embedded)

I am interested in peoples opinions. 

P.S. Please refrain from playing the "Chinese vs Euro" card. It gets old. I want you guys to think not recycle arguments.

If you've played with both a tacky chinese rubber and Tenergy 05, you will understand. 
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 2:52am
I've had a few different coaches that span many different points in my life.  PRC coaches teaches the basic FH that way.  Mostly, shoulder movement.  They don't say lock the elbow, but it just happens, to give more control over the ball, if you pivot with mostly shoulder movement.

Other coaches I've had never really emphasize the stroke Mechanic like that.  Mostly emphasize stiff wrist for control.

As for why?  More powerful muscle group.  Less chance of crossing body with that swing.  Maybe carried over from taichi principles (guess?).  But that's what PRC system teaches.

Or maybe kids start so young there they need to use more shoulder to get blade over the table?

Edited by power7 - 06/24/2012 at 2:59am
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 2:16am
Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

Because ML elbows are at a fixed angle when he is loop driving. 
I would not say "fixed" because he does straighten his arm on occasion. Even in the vid he flexes his arm. slightly but I get your point.

So the forward rotation is done with the shoulders. 
I would say the whole torso is involved in this action, but gain I see your point.

So your answer to my question is, that is what they were taught. 

Maybe I need to clarify my question. 

I understand how they got their stroke mechanics. What I want to know is why. Why use the shoulder as a pivot point instead of the elbow? 

If you are a coach, and you are teaching young kids how to hit the ball, why would yoou have them do it one way over another? Are they both equally valid ways of hitting the ball? What set of advantages/disadvantages are there?

Edited by V-Griper - 06/24/2012 at 2:25am
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 1:33am
Because ML elbows are at a fixed angle when he is loop driving.  So the forward rotation is done with the shoulders.  They are taught to use the shoulder as major pivot point of their swing, not the elbow.

TB flexes his elbow more during the swing for forward motion.  That's why his stroke seems more linear in the video following the same path hitting and retracting.

DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 1:18am
Here is WLQ counter hitting. He is clearly guiding his paddle in a modified circular path. I say modified because the take back is like a semi circle but the forward part is flattened out. 

Again. This time the well referenced ML slow mo FH.  Similar motion. Starting from the ready position. Paddle goes down, then back beside the right knee. Then slightly up and then flattens out as it moves forward into the ball.

So the question is why do a circular motion at all? Why not do more of a straight back and strait forward motion? 

Like this.

Or this.

Iwill grant you that Timo and BP are still making a slightly squashed oval, albeit slight, but it looks nothing like what WLQ and ML are doing.

Some related questions-
Why is ML's elbow so close to the body on the take back? why does the paddle usually stop beside the knee? Why does ML's knee seem to collapse inward slightly?(So does RSM's btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVzq-OnBcM&feature=player_embedded)

I am interested in peoples opinions. 

P.S. Please refrain from playing the "Chinese vs Euro" card. It gets old. I want you guys to think not recycle arguments.

Edited by V-Griper - 06/24/2012 at 1:39am
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I also know that the ball doesn't care about the stroke leading up to and after impact.  Only the attitude and rate of change in attitude of the paddle make a difference as well as the stoke and rate of change in the stroke directions DURING the stroke make a difference.  

I understand what you are saying, I think...

But why then does followthrough make so much difference in consistency, power and placement of a stroke?
Easy.  If the paddle is going to maintain the same attitude and speed during the stroke then you can't change anything until AFTER impact.  After impact it is best to get back to the ready position.

For example: 
Takie a mid distance BH topspin, with the backswing from the hip, rotation from the leading shoulder, and uncoiling of the core while contacting the ball in front into a big followthrough that ends with the arm high, out to the right (assuming right handed)...
Yes,  but that is due to the limitations on how fast you can decelerate the paddle AFTER the impact.

Why does the larger arc (relative to a smaller backswing and smaller followthrough) require less adjustment against incoming spin?
I am not sure what you mean.  I don't think the length of the arc has much do do with being less sensitive to the spin except for the fact it is easier to move the paddle forward faster with a bigger stroke.  It requires less acceleration and deceleration.    Spin causes the ball to move tangentially to the ball impact.   The impact itself causes the ball to 'reflect' off the paddle.   Assume the ball is hitting the paddle straight on or normal to the paddle and there is spin on it.   The ball will spin off to the side at a certain rate.   If if spins off to the side at the same rate it bounces back in the normal direction the ball will bounce off the paddle at an angle of 45 degrees.   Now what if the ball hits with the same spin but you hit the ball so the ball is returning 10 times faster in the normal direction.   Then the paddle angle will be only 5.7 degrees from normal.  ATAN(normal speed/tangential speed)  It is the same principle behind why faster paddles have lower 'throw angles', but it really depends on how fast you hit the ball.

In other words, why do bigger mechanics seem to ignore incoming spin more than smaller mechanics?
No it is simple vector trigonometry.   

Is it because there is a larger section of the arc where a "reasonably good shot" is possible?
No,  it is simply that hitting the ball faster means the spin has less effect on the angle of return.   If you could hit the ball infinitely fast the spin would have almost no effect on the return angle of the ball.   I think there are many that intuitively realize this when they say 'hit through spin'.

IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 10:44pm
I gotta say, as a rookie player, this is the most interesting thread I ever read... Sorry for the off topic post... :)
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I also know that the ball doesn't care about the stroke leading up to and after impact.  Only the attitude and rate of change in attitude of the paddle make a difference as well as the stoke and rate of change in the stroke directions DURING the stroke make a difference.  

I understand what you are saying, I think...

But why then does followthrough make so much difference in consistency, power and placement of a stroke?

For example:
Takie a mid distance BH topspin, with the backswing from the hip, rotation from the leading shoulder, and uncoiling of the core while contacting the ball in front into a big followthrough that ends with the arm high, out to the right (assuming right handed)...

Why does the larger arc (relative to a smaller backswing and smaller followthrough) require less adjustment against incoming spin?

In other words, why do bigger mechanics seem to ignore incoming spin more than smaller mechanics?

Is it because there is a larger section of the arc where a "reasonably good shot" is possible?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:06pm

For those who have chosen to jump to conclusions, I invite them to answer the following question.

Given two balls released from the top at the same time, which one reaches the bottom in the shortest time, Red or Green? Why?

Good comparison. Red ball has shorter path to go to finish and has constant acelleration if friction is a non-factor. Green ball has a longer path, but achieves higher velocity before halfway point.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

There is no such thing as a convex or concave loop, if you have the spare time and muscles to make that shape movement when looping you are simply doing it wrong.
I think it is impossible to avoid convex or concave loops because our arm rotate around sockets.  However, I I agree you are probably doing it wrong if you have much of a convex or concave loop.  If your timing isn't perfect the ball will go low or high if you paddle attitude is changing during the stroke.   I try to keep the attitude of my paddle constant during the time that impact can occur and my swing in a plane so that my stroke is not as timing dependent.    If I hit the ball a millisecond early or late it won't make any difference.

I find this thread amusing.  So those of you that argue one way or another,  how do you justify your statements?   How can you justify the potential errors due to the ball hitting a few millisecond earlier or latter?   What difference does a 0.1 degree difference in the paddle attitude make over 3 meters or more?

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 6:50pm

Sliding or rolling? Friction?

Off the cuff I would say green(if they are rolling, or sliding with no friction). Larger initial acceleration(linear and rotational) in the beginning and greater momentum and inertia at the end to maintain velocity. The green ball is accelerating/moving/rolling a lot faster.

You will have to explain the relevance. I don't get it. 

Edited by V-Griper - 06/23/2012 at 6:52pm
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 1:41pm
A famous English dude figured this out in 1696 :-)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 1:21pm

Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:57am

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the the curve of the stroke, and the relatively closed or open paddle condition, is largely determined by where the ball is taken off the bounce. 

If you take the ball early, anywhere up to, and including, slightly after TOB (top of bounce) and the ball is above net height, I think it would be preferable to have "positive" arc loop stroke and emphasize a relatively closed paddle face. It also facilitates over the table looping. 

If the ball is taken much after TOB and below net height it would then be preferable to use the "negative" arc loop stroke with a more open paddle face. The arc of the ball as it descends requires a more vertical "lifting" action. Also, of course, when you are stroking underspin.

Of course each individuals adjustment is different.

Mechanics of Table Tennis

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

wow thanx man, i really didnt understand what we were talking about here until i saw the illustration,  and i agree that the choice of loop depends on what ball is coming to you
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:44am
There is no such thing as a convex or concave loop, if you have the spare time and muscles to make that shape movement when looping you are simply doing it wrong.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

This is what I'm referring to: Wu Jing Ping on the FH; at the end of the article, he mentions that Chinese players tend to brush more because they use tacky rubbers, as opposed to their European counterparts who drive more with their grippy and elastic rubbers.

Wu Jingping's article, at the time of writing(2005 as indicated by one source), did point out that the forehand loop of Chinese penholders lacked power, a trait common among players owing to the short-pips hitter style.  And so he had made it a first priority and had forced Wang Hao and Ma Lin to practice hitting harder.

The notion that the Chinese hit harder probably first took root a decade ago along with Wang Liqin's first claim of the WTTC title.  Duan Xiang(段翔), deputy director of R&D of the CTTA, uses the term "扭轉爆發鞭沖技術(Rotation-induced Explosion Whip-like [Forward"> Loop Technique, literally)" to separate Wang Liqin's forehand loop from the rest whom he describes as "加速制動擺沖技術(Acceleration-Braking Pendulum-like [Forward] Loop Technique)".  The latter is likely an extension to the term "加速制動(Acceleration-Braking)", first coined by Zhuang Zedong, who takes a minimalistic approach to stroke mechanics where great emphasis is placed on maximizing acceleration before contact and brakes to a halt as soon as the ball takes off to reduce the time of recovery.  According to Duan's words, what sets Wang Liqin apart is the unique[at that time] kinetic chain he uses to harness the rotational kinetic energy by coupling the arm, waist, crotch and so on.

Edited by zeio - 06/23/2012 at 8:48am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 6:51pm
Excellent point, excellent post, V-griper!  Thanks.  I think you're right.  Smile

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the the curve of the stroke, and the relatively closed or open paddle condition, is largely determined by where the ball is taken off the bounce. 

If you take the ball early, anywhere up to, and including, slightly after TOB (top of bounce) and the ball is above net height, I think it would be preferable to have "positive" arc loop stroke and emphasize a relatively closed paddle face. It also facilitates over the table looping. 

If the ball is taken much after TOB and below net height it would then be preferable to use the "negative" arc loop stroke with a more open paddle face. The arc of the ball as it descends requires a more vertical "lifting" action. Also, of course, when you are stroking underspin.

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 1:37pm

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

Edited by V-Griper - 06/22/2012 at 2:16pm
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 12:57pm
This is what I'm referring to: Wu Jing Ping on the FH; at the end of the article, he mentions that Chinese players tend to brush more because they use tacky rubbers, as opposed to their European counterparts who drive more with their grippy and elastic rubbers.

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

It is claimed that the grazing loop stroke is more suited for tacky rubbers, whereas the hitting loop stroke is suitable for high tension or tensor rubbers. 

This seems to go against the perception that most Chinese players drive or hit through the ball more than their European counterparts when looping. Even a famous Chinese coach has stated the same thing.

I think the statement is correct -- that it is easier to get a blistering brush-loop with tacky rubber, while bouncy-grippy rubber more easily facilitates a loop-drive -- but since it is possible to do either with either rubber, the CNT has discovered that driving with their harder-tackier rubber is, for some reason, better than the traditional brush-looping.  Perhaps it is the arc that it produces, outlined in the article that Lexsha posted above -- http://protabletennis.net/content/mechanics-table-tennis.

I can understand where racquetsforsale is coming from.  Liu Guozheng has been quoted for commenting on Chen Qi having more of a wrapping motion than other players, yet he happens to generate more power than would have been thought possible.

Edited by zeio - 06/22/2012 at 12:47pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 10:24am
Quote Explosive speed is an inherited characteristic

Kind of eugenic/rasist statement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic