Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Rosewood V XO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 4:48pm
I had 2 one anatomic and one master flared two weeks ago. I am playing with the master. Both weights exactly 78 grams. It has a great feel, good service, nice returns. It excels in flicks too good to be true. Looping is very good it is faster than the acoustic and slower than tbs right exactly in the middle. It goes very well with medium rubbers it has very nice long trajectory and the speed comes from its lightness. I think it is very well suited for a third ball attack with a good serve. In the middle distance it has the upper hand. If you like tbs or viscaria and don't like the feel, or you played with the acoustic or violin and you need more speed this blade is for you. One more thing the finishing is finally good for a stiga blade and the sound it produces on loops and blocks/smashes is very nice, you will fall in love when you will hear it and feel it in your hand.
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
Sponsored Links

VladiTT View Drop Down
Post #57918

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladiTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 5:22pm
i have been playing with acoustic 6-7 months,2 months ago i switched to TBS
I like the feel of acoustic and speed of TBS but i`m not completly satisfied ...
i will give a shot on a XO in thursday ,
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

I had 2 one anatomic and one master flared two weeks ago. I am playing with the master. Both weights exactly 78 grams. It has a great feel, good service, nice returns. It excels in flicks too good to be true. Looping is very good it is faster than the acoustic and slower than tbs right exactly in the middle. It goes very well with medium rubbers it has very nice long trajectory and the speed comes from its lightness. I think it is very well suited for a third ball attack with a good serve. In the middle distance it has the upper hand. If you like tbs or viscaria and don't like the feel, or you played with the acoustic or violin and you need more speed this blade is for you. One more thing the finishing is finally good for a stiga blade and the sound it produces on loops and blocks/smashes is very nice, you will fall in love when you will hear it and feel it in your hand.

Mickael, first you get in sometime ago saying that going from a korbel to an arylate/carbon was a big step. but then you got a zjk and you said it had everything and all the control.

Besides your comparison and conclusions about the zjk and viscaria and tbs were imo wrong.

so now after being the zjk blade the most wonderful blade ever build (something like that you told about it) now you buy not one but 2 (so it has to be twice as wonderful i guess) rosewood ox and for sure it is wonderful x 2.

the finishing about having to sand a little is not a big issue but the quality outer and design are.  

it is weird the zjk and the rosewood ox which are quite different in building are the 2 wonderful. so lets wait to the next buy.

more or less the same with imago. always the same procedure. putting the picture as saying how beautiful is and after a time the blade can be in the FS section. but in the meantime lets show it as it is a very good blade. so one can not be confident.  

imo these are not very valuable reviews but quite misleading and unuseful contributions.

it would be good to have good reviewers, not the ones 'i buy something, it is wonderful'.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/25/2012 at 7:55pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 6:09pm
i can imagine if Mickael buy an ejmaster blade right after it would be the most wonderful blade in the world. maybe he has a better chance to hit the target.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/25/2012 at 6:22pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 6:12pm
To be fair, Mickael hasn't bought the EJmaster wood yet. I'm sure he'll then realise that he's found the ultimate weapon.

Oh, and it's the Rosewood XO, not OX - that would be an entirely different kind of blade.

Edited by tabten5 - 06/25/2012 at 6:13pm
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 6:43pm
it is really difficult to get a conclusion from imago's reviews right after buying a blade. but up to now my impression is that he is saying between lines that the rw ox is not so good.

maybe i am wrong.

someday we will be rewarded with straight words. 

Edited by ejmaster - 06/25/2012 at 6:45pm
EJ Club.

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 2:35am
Sorry Ejmaster to tell you that you don't know which is a very good blade until you try it. And I am not saying zjk is not good it is good with no feel compared to rosewood xo and when I played it zjk xo wasn't invented yet. What you should do get a an xo try it for a few weeks and give us your full review. I tried it after mastering the acoustic and the zjk and trust me if wasn't soo good I wouldn't kept for 1 more day. Read my review carefully and see how it outperforms the zjk (less power of course) and it is more stable then the acoustic. And remember me when you hit and feel and hear its WONDERFUL sound:)
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 3:21am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

the finishing about having to sand a little is not a big issue but the quality outer and design are.  

Bearing in mind your liking for the Rosewood V and hence why it's in your signature; what are your concerns about the design and the quality of the outer plies; on the Rosewood XO?

Edited by Peter C - 06/26/2012 at 3:21am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 6:03am
Actually I prefer RW 5, but this is not because XO is worse, on the contrary, it is a very good blade with an amazing feel and sound, probably better than Acoustic. If its head was 160 mm (not 155) and cpen, I would certainy keep it.
ojej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ojej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 11:56am
which blade is harder rosewood v or rosewood xo?
stiga erik lindh offensive evolution
fh: tenergy 05
bh: tenergy 05

my feedback
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 4:39pm
Stiga claims xo to be a little bit stiffer than than the regular rosewood. Bear in mind that a good all wood blade gets better and better over time, that is why all the pros age their blade for more 10 years and have a subsitute of the same aged blade!
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

Stiga claims xo to be a little bit stiffer than than the regular rosewood. Bear in mind that a good all wood blade gets better and better over time, that is why all the pros age their blade for more 10 years and have a subsitute of the same aged blade!

no more comments about fantasyland.  
same with the reviews.
EJ Club.

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

Bearing in mind your liking for the Rosewood V and hence why it's in your signature; what are your concerns about the design and the quality of the outer plies; on the Rosewood XO?

if the blade is very light, the outer maybe isn't quality thick.
it happens with the first batch ebv and the last series. same blade thickness 5,7 around but the first ones the ebony outer is thicker and better quality so the blade is more sensitive and powerful and more weight.
however the last ebv series are fast but harder and the outer is thinner and not so heavy and worse feeling.
besides the handle maybe is thinner. 
in conclusion the light weight maybe means a variety of things. 

Edited by ejmaster - 06/26/2012 at 9:06pm
EJ Club.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2012 at 9:06pm
ejmaster is a great reviewer, and tough to please!

I've tried rosewood a bit, not XO.  I found rosewood to be a bit hard / undynamic, I was surprised that it felt perhaps harder than ebenholz?  I didn't expect to have that impression but at least with the two I used the ebenholz felt like it had more dwell time, rosewood had more vibration and feedback but was more solid.  And rosewood was lighter?

On the other hand: control excellent, touch excellent.  The feeling and feedback is really good.  You get some benefit for offensive shots from the outer coating which I feel really adds some spark.  And this is a thinner blade so there's a nice higher gear when you hit harder due to flex.

But my overall impression was surprising, its a "harder" blade - obviously not very hard, just harder than I expected, I didn't expect to find the rosewood blade "harder", I expected soft.

Whats the story with XO, is it softer compared to the regular rosewood?  More dwell time?  Or harder + stiffer?

I'd love to hear more feedback either from testers of XO or just users of the regular rosewood to give some background for this new blade.

Edited by chronos - 06/26/2012 at 9:08pm
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2012 at 2:10am
My bad I lack the paranormal extrasensory powers of those reviewers who can tell you the exact difference in dwell time or hardness between normal RW and XO. Frankly, I don't understand how a hard veneer like RW can display any dwell time at all. Besides, there are different sorts of Rosewood - African, Asian, East Indian, Carribean, Brazilian, with the hardest of all - Patagonian. And the softest of them is still harder than any Wallnut ply. Then why, for the sake of Amitofo, I feel YEO harder than any Rosewood?

That's why I don't trust anybody's review and beg you not to trust my reviews - if I ever indulge in producing a full-fledged one. They are all transcendental illusions of apperception.

Now, having said this, XO with two new T05 has more power and feel than our new TB ZLF. So I am going to sell the latter, again. Embarrassed

P.S. And XO with M1 and 5Q feels and plays better than XO with T05.

Edited by Imago - 06/27/2012 at 2:36am
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2012 at 2:21am
Rosewood xo is crispier more stable, for the short game it has lot of touch and feel,l also very good on flicks. When you loop it flex in a way that your balls land with tremendous spin and a long trajectory. Counter looping near the table is very safe. You can use it with lot of variations of rubbers and it suits every style for an offensive game. Who rosewood xo is for? For players who likes good feel (like acoustic) a stable blade that can do everything (stable like the tbs) and specially and the most important players who love light blades. Hope dear beloved players this review came to any help to decide your next blade.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2012 at 3:45am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Only the gods among us possess the final episteme, what the rest of us offer is but doxa.

Whats the story with XO, is it softer compared to the regular rosewood?...

I'd love to hear more feedback either from testers of XO or just users of the regular rosewood to give some background for this new blade.

It is harder (according to my durometer) with more pronounced vibration in the low gear. This unique blend of characteristics makes it crisp and more sensual as compared to the regular RW.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Only the gods among us possess the final episteme, what the rest of us offer is but doxa.

[QUOTE]

God (of everything including tt) chooseth of his messengers whom He will (to receive knowledge thereof). So believe in God and his messengers. If you believe and ward off (evil), yours will be a vast reward.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/27/2012 at 3:58pm
EJ Club.

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 11:09am
VladiTT View Drop Down
Post #57918

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladiTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2012 at 5:15pm
really helpful review,good job
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

I played a full practice (4.5 hours) with the Stiga Rosewood XO last night. This is my review of it.
(Note on my play: I am a left-handed attacking player, with a strong forehand loop. I tend to punch and active block on my BH. Pushes are only used for service return. I play in the Premier division in my county, and was formerly ranked No 5 in England as a junior. Back then I used a YE + Mark V (drenched in speedglue.) I have been using a TB ZLF for over a year since my return to TT, and the XO is my attempt to seek an all-wood blade that satisfies my requirements in the modern, non-speedglue era.)
My XO is 80g, with a Legend handle. It's not head-heavy (the balance point lying closer to the handle than, say, a MEO (or YEO)), and owing to the head-size (155 x 150), it won't be head-heavy unless you put really heavy rubbers onto it (e.g. Tenergy.) Even then it's better than most blades. The craftsmanship is good, but not excellent - there are a few bumps beneath the NCT coating, and the edges are fairly rough in places. I'd say, overall, it's slightly below the finish of a Yasaka blade, and quite below that of a premium Butterfly blade.
I put Calibra LT Spin (Max) in black on the FH, and LT Sound 2.0 in red on the BH. I've played with these rubbers quite a bit before, on the Timo Boll ZLF, MEO and YE. My following remarks are primarily comparative, and especially in comparison with the TB ZLF, the blade I have been exclusively using competitively for the past year.
The XO has great touch. That is immediately apparent. Flicks and short pushes/service returns are excellent, because you get so much feedback from the blade. You know where the ball is going to go precisely. It is flexy and stiff - my perfect combination. The rosewood outer layer feels a lot like the koto on the TB ZLF, and that's a good thing.
Attacking close to the table, the XO shines. It has snap, and because it's fairly lightweight you can move the bat into position quickly. Blocks and active blocks against looping are excellent; the ball pings off the blade, sending it back with interest, with minimal effort. FH topspins are good, fast and accurate. BH punching is slightly weaker, however, and this was the first sign that not all was perfect with the XO. My punches lacked power, as compared to the ZLF (82g). With the same action, the ball had less power from the XO. This must be the effect of the Zylon in the ZLF. But this wasn't a deal-breaker at all, given the gains in touch. 
And then, my main game - attacking from mid-distance. It's here that the XO does not work for me. It simply does not have the power necessary. Playing against my usual practice partner (top county player), he was able to return almost every FH loop, even my supposedly devastating loop drives. He said that the ball was noticeably slower with the XO, and with less zip on the ball. When I switched back to the ZLF for comparison, he could return around 50% of my attacking loops. That is a significant difference. By the end of the practice session, the lack of power was very noticeable, and it also had a strange effect: although the setup was lighter than the ZLF setup, my arm was much more sore, and that's because I was having to put so much effort into killing the ball with the XO, and I was having to hit many more shots (because they were returned.)
So, that's the result. It means the XO is not for me, and I'm going back to the ZLF. I'm a mid-distance attacking player, and for me the XO lacks the power at that range as compared to the ZLF. If, however, you are a close to the table attacker/blocker, or an all-round player with a variety of shots (requiring good touch), the XO is a great blade.
And if anyone can recommend a an all-wood blade weighing approx. 80g that would suit my game, I'm all ears...

Nice review I agree everything you said, but my setup is even better from mid distance. I am using calibra lt spin on backhand which I get more power when I punch the ball ( this is what you missed ) and on the forehand I get more spin from a medium + rubber which is acuda s1 turbo and more power of a little harder sponge and from the whole setup which is heavier than yours. And note That my xo is still balanced but with a calibra lt sound 2.0 on the backhand your setup is very light , mine is light and it differs a lot on each stroke. Note that the acuda s1t is like the calibra insensitive to the incoming spin but you can get a higher arc which is very crucial when looping from behind. I wish you could try it.
mr-francais View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr-francais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2012 at 11:25pm
Viscaria
Tenergy 25 fx
Tenergy 64
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2012 at 9:21am

Here's my review of the Rosewood XO.

Last night, at the last moment before the start, I decided to try the Rosewood XO for our competitive league match. It was paired with Rakza 7 Soft Max on FH and Rakza 7 2.0 on BH. This is the rubber setup that I have used on the TB ZLF for some considerable time, so I know the rubbers suit my game.

As expected, the Rosewood XO yielded substantial gains in the short game. In the doubles especially, I produced a series of very good flick service returns (it's always an advantage being a left-hander in doubles service returns). I was able to judge the amount of wrist flick required to overturn the backspin+sidespin serves very well, and better than I can on the TB ZLF. The Zylon does deaden that soft feeling needed.

But once into rallies, mid-distance from the table, I struggled. Loops just did not have enough penetrative power, and more than a few times I was caught out with counter-topspins from my opponents. My BH was very controllable, and blocking on the XO with Rakza 7 is a dream - you could block in your sleep.

I'd love a blade that has the power of the ZLF, and the feel/touch of the XO, but I suppose that's what a lot of us are after! Power and feel.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 4:20am

I'd love a blade that has the power of the ZLF, and the feel/touch of the XO, but I suppose that's what a lot of us are after! Power and feel.

My answer to this quest is Avalox 500.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 8:51am
Imago, what about hurricane 2(655). Is it the solution? Would I gain power without losing the touch? Thank you.I am asking because I like high quality build blades, and they told me that HK2 is high quality. Thank you.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 10:14am
Never tried it. I had only HK and HK3. The latter has both power and touch. Unfortunately, it has also a price.
pinky1992 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinky1992 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2012 at 4:25pm
would this bat be  good for an advance replacement to donic epox control?
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2012 at 1:59am
It is an advance replacement for anything but it is way faster than the epox control. Go for offensive classic and then to rosewood, that is what I think.
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2012 at 8:10am
Has anyone tried a RW XO with Tenergy??
I would be curious to get some color or hear any detailed thoughts on how this combo plays, especially when compared to Boll ZLF with Tenergy. If you answer, please include what weight RX XO it was that you tried
Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2013 at 4:40am
Originally posted by smash_fan smash_fan wrote:

Has anyone tried a RW XO with Tenergy??
I would be curious to get some color or hear any detailed thoughts on how this combo plays, especially when compared to Boll ZLF with Tenergy. If you answer, please include what weight RX XO it was that you tried
Which blade do u play with right now ? I use same combo of rubbrs..
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic