FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Comparing the Rakza 7 vs Tenergy 05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparing the Rakza 7 vs Tenergy 05
    Posted: 07/02/2012 at 4:57pm
Having used the search function quite a bit to compare between rubbers, here is my contribution on a Tenergy 05 vs Rakza 7 comparison (I'm putting this here as I've received a few PMs & emails asking me this question):

R7 advantages:
  • I was familiar with T05 on FH on a TBS. Later, when I tried out the R7 on my blade, my initial impression was that this is nowhere as spinny as T05. I didn't realize that it needs slightly different stroke mechanics. So, if you're a T05 user trying out the R7, keep this in mind. Play with it for about 5 hours and you'll get the hang of it. I experienced the opposite situation recently: having used the R7 for many months, I cut and put on a new T05 and was wondering where the T05 spin was! Again, the difference in spin between the two rubbers is not much  (with R7 being marginally better IMO) but they need slightly different stroke mechanics to generate the most spin out of them
  • One difference I find between the two rubbers is that while the T05 is relatively poor in off-the-bounce loops (due to its softer sponge), the R7 excels at it (in this attribute, it is a bit like a Chinese rubber). To generate full spin with the T05, one has to loop at peak or later when the ball is falling down
  • Another difference is that T05 loops take their own sweet time to reach the opponents! With a R7 loop, because (i) I can execute it off the bounce and (ii) R7 is faster and has marginally less dwell & throw than T05, the opponent is hurried into a weak response. Not so with the T05
  • T05 loops kick upwards more where as R7 loops kick forwards. It is easier for hitters / smashers against T05 loops if they're familiar with how that rubber acts (as they can always wait a 1/2 step back for the ball to bounce high and then hit)
  • R7 is a lot less bouncy in the short game and has a hard sponge. This creates this seeming conundrum - my serves are slightly spinnier than with T05 (as I can swing harder knowing that the serves won't go long due to R7's lesser bounce) but my return of serves are much easier with the R7
  • My accuracy (ball reaching as close to destination point as possible) in looping with R7 is better than with the T05 (possibly due to the harder sponge)
  • I can also create greater variety loops with the R7 (both fast, low loop / drives and slow, spinny ones) than with the T05
  • R7 is way better for smashing / driving than the T05. It is better at smashing / driving than the Tenergy 64 and is possibly one of the best euro / jap rubbers out there for this purpose
  • R7 loops penetrate better than those of T05
  • R7 is an easier rubber to block with
  • Using the R7, I get more linearity in output speed vs input power than with the T05
T05 advantages:
  • T05 is easier to counterloop with than the R7 (which excels as a close to the table / mid-distance looping / driving rubber as opposed to counterlooping from afar)
  • It is easier for beginners (< 1300 USATT rating) to generate spin using T05 than with the R7 (though I wouldn't advise beginners to use either rubber!)
  • The 'window' for looping with T05 is slightly better than with R7
  • Tenergy 05 is more durable than Rakza 7 which partially offsets the fact that Rakza 7 is almost 50% cheaper (thanks to Silva7 for this one)
Hope this helps

Edited by slevin - 07/02/2012 at 7:16pm
Sponsored Links

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 5:05pm
Excellent comparison, and I fully agree. And that's the reason why I play with Rakza 7 Soft - to gain all of the advantages of Rakza 7, but with a bit more T05-like dwell time. It's the best rubber I've played with in a long time. I just wish they weren't so damned heavy!
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 5:25pm
Great review Slevin! I agree with all of it
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 7:09pm
i agree on many aspects but one thing to add, the R7 is spiny for the first few weeks and loses its spin faster than T05 after that. i quite like the R7 on my Violin.
RSM Special Platinum T64
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

i agree on many aspects but one thing to add, the R7 is spiny for the first few weeks and loses its spin faster than T05 after that

True. As this applies to most rubber comparisons vs T05. I added this one under T05's advantages.
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 8:18pm
R7 is not as good as T05 period. Any perceived weaknesses can be overcome by skill. R7 is for those not good enough to use t05.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 8:47pm
I agree with pretty much everything on slevin's list (I switched from T05 on the fh to R7 about 7 months ago).

I just think that T05 gets more spin on every shot, including serves and it's a bit easier to serve with because it grips the ball more on a very thin contact whereas R7 can slip off if you're not careful.
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by DeIgado DeIgado wrote:

R7 is not as good as T05 period. Any perceived weaknesses can be overcome by skill. R7 is for those not good enough to use t05.

Facepalm.

There are different rubbers for different styles and abilities. And different rubber thicknesses, is T05 max better than T05 1.9 "period"?

Where I play there are 6 divisions. Many places have far more divisions. Is T05 the better choice than R7 for everyone in every division, regardless of their style?

I can see how T05's better counter-looping is essential to Timo Boll and various other pro's. Below top amateur level counter-looping is next to irrelevant so I think the decreased sensitivity to incoming spin of R7 leads to less mistakes and more points won at lower levels.
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 8:58pm

i concur with you here. T05 and T64 are in a different league to any other rubbers out there. 
i prefer Spin Art over the tenergy series as a JPen player though. personally, i think you can get the same performance with both rubbers if your technique is not polished. 

also i find R7 to be very similar to Nittaku Fastarc S-1. the pips' structure between the two are slightly different but their characteristics are very similar. i noticed not many people have used the Fastarc or even heard of it.
RSM Special Platinum T64
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 9:05pm
I like Rakza 7, it plays easier than Tenergy 05. But if Rakza 7 was better than Tenergy you would see the pro's using it. I think most of the pro's other than the Chinese use it for their forhands even if they are sponsored by a different company. That say's something about how good the Tenergy's are. I just can't get the spin and speed out of it like the pro's, so Rakza 7 fits me better.
Shifter
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I like Rakza 7, it plays easier than Tenergy 05. But if Rakza 7 was better than Tenergy you would see the pro's using it. I think most of the pro's other than the Chinese use it for their forhands even if they are sponsored by a different company. That say's something about how good the Tenergy's are. I just can't get the spin and speed out of it like the pro's, so Rakza 7 fits me better.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. T05 is better for most pro's because it fits their requirements and abilities which are completely different to most amateurs'.

In golfing terms I would say the T05 is equivalent to blade irons, used by Tiger Woods and many top pro's but a disaster in the hands of amateurs.
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 9:15pm
I agree except T05 gets more spin.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 11:26pm
I had switched from R7 to T05 not long time ago. And I can say that R7 to fully shine needs a blade with quite a big amount of flex. On stiff MJ it (R7) was like a crap. On the flex blade Rakza was excellent, the spin was...comparable with T05 and very variable with different strokes.....but...you can guess here....blocking was really hard to control due to blade character. So I choose better blocking instead of great looping and changed ultraflex custom+R7 to 7 ply+T05. Missing a little those great consistent loops but doing much better on blocking and counterdriving. And I like the feel of t05 much better ...may be because R7 hasn't any special feel at all?
Just my 2c.              
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2012 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. T05 is better for most pro's because it fits their requirements and abilities which are completely different to most amateurs'.

In golfing terms I would say the T05 is equivalent to blade irons, used by Tiger Woods and many top pro's but a disaster in the hands of amateurs.

I agree. Tenergy 05 and 64 meet the needs of non-chinese pros better than any other inverted rubber.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 12:38am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

+1

Counter looping is important in the pro game but not so much in the amateur game. 
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 12:50am
whast the average weight of a cut R7soft?? any heavier than T05fx?
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

I had switched from R7 to T05 not long time ago. And I can say that R7 to fully shine needs a blade with quite a big amount of flex.

Not sure what the ideal blade for R7 would be but I can state that it plays wonderfully on the Timo Boll Spirit (which isn't too flexy).

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

whast the average weight of a cut R7soft?? any heavier than T05fx?
definitely lighter. But don't know how much
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

I had switched from R7 to T05 not long time ago. And I can say that R7 to fully shine needs a blade with quite a big amount of flex.

Not sure what the ideal blade for R7 would be but I can state that it plays wonderfully on the Timo Boll Spirit (which isn't too flexy).

Tastes differ. On MJ it was not a keeper. Just personal experience. Though, I must admit that MJ by itself is not a keeper for me. I can't  handle it in defensive&allround game, only in offence. Isn't enough to win equal rivals. 
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 8:21pm

simon gauzy plays with rakza7
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

simon gauzy plays with rakza7

I thought he played with it, but went back to tenergy
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2012 at 1:26am

You can say that to just about any rubber.
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic