Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to cut rubbers with 1-2 mm overlap/excess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to cut rubbers with 1-2 mm overlap/excess
    Posted: 08/11/2012 at 6:03pm
I use exacto knife to cut my brand new rubbers. I'm pretty good at cutting rubbers for a perfect fit. Though, I'd like to cut 1-2 mm wider/bigger than normal. How to do that nicely with keeping the overlap same around the head? Does anyone have a walkaround?
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Sponsored Links

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 6:44pm
what kind of knife??
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2012 at 6:57pm
I would say use something plastic (the 1-2mm you need) to drag along with the knife. You will have stable distance from blade. 
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 3:40am
somthing like this

Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 3:44am
Thick and sharp scissors.
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 9:46am
I would suggest gluing a small piece of plastic to your knife blade so it clears the blade. Glue it on a few mm up the blad though so it touches any your paddle and the rubber.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 10:32am
I sometimes will use Lable maker tape around the edge of my blade before I put the rubbers on and that with keeping my blade angle straight will give me 1 to 2 mm. over edge of blade. I have also found if I wait about 24 hours before cutting rubbers I don't get as much shrinking.
Shifter
louisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/12/2012 at 12:26pm
Just a thought... You could reverse - rotate (180 degrees) the blade of the cutter? With this way the backside of the cutter will facing the blade while cutting in order to gain the thickness of the cutter on your rubber.... I am not quite sure if it's possible to reverse the blade 
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Black

BH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
magister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 12:54am
Scissors always leave my rubbers a little larger than the head of the blade.
Butterfly Primorac

FH: Cases Inspirit

BH: Sriver EL 1.9
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 2:28am
I have many blades.  See if I want to have rubber extended by 1 - 2 mm, I simply use another blade (bigger dimension) to cut the rubbers, and then when I fit them to my smaller blade,... voila.....  I have perfect cut with 1 - 2 mm extended.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
asmagus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 3:40am
Maybe this will help?

Donic scissors (made by Fiskars)
"Scissors for rubber sheets in curved form"

1. Donic Waldner Dotec Carbon OFF + BH & FH: Yasaka Mark V max
2. Donic Wang Xi Dotec Control Plus + BH & FH: Donic Bluefire M3 2.0
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 7:43am
There is a portable machine for the job. You can leave 0 to 2mm of gap as you wish and everyone can cut like a pro!
Here is the demo video.

andy.h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

There is a portable machine for the job. You can leave 0 to 2mm of gap as you wish and everyone can cut like a pro!
Here is the demo video.

Wow, that's impressive. Is this machine expensive?
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 11:52am
Apply a few extra layers of edge tape to you blade prior to cutting. After the rubber is cut to this slight oversize, remove the extra layers. Works for me. The thick 'edge protector' edge tapes are good for this.
BBC, SP, LP
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 2:03pm
linky no worky never loads up
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
fructu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fructu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/13/2012 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Apply a few extra layers of edge tape to you blade prior to cutting. After the rubber is cut to this slight oversize, remove the extra layers. Works for me. The thick 'edge protector' edge tapes are good for this.

I think that's simply the best option. It'll hep me a lot and I'll do it myself.

Thanks.

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 12:04am
Originally posted by andy.h andy.h wrote:

Here is the demo video.

It's about US$80 from taobao plus shipping. It's just released like a month or 2 ago but prototype had been around for a year. For most people it's only the price of a blade so it may interest some. I guess you can charge more for selling your old rubber if it is cleanly cut. And that extra gap will protect the value of your blade against chip much better. So sooner or later it will pay off itself. I am surprise to see most second hand rubbers are poorly cut and turn off potential buyers like me.

Here is another link of the video.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 5:50am
very interesting; I wonder what's the mechanism to have the slicing always stay the same distance from the blade all around it since from the center the distance to the edge may vary. 
kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 7:20am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

very interesting; I wonder what's the mechanism to have the slicing always stay the same distance from the blade all around it since from the center the distance to the edge may vary. 

Just a spring I think.

Edited by kuifje - 08/14/2012 at 7:20am
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 7:59am

I think it trace from the edge instead of the center of blade so it can always stay the same distance.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 9:06am

I think it trace from the edge instead of the center of blade so it can always stay the same distance.
of course!!! thanks.
ME...NEED...BUY....THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thumbs Up
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 9:36am
I just cut the rubber exactly to the blade, then boost/speed glue the rubber so it will generate that gap...
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
louisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2012 at 6:19pm

Originally posted by andy.h andy.h wrote:

Here is the demo video.

It's about US$80 from taobao plus shipping. It's just released like a month or 2 ago but prototype had been around for a year. For most people it's only the price of a blade so it may interest some. I guess you can charge more for selling your old rubber if it is cleanly cut. And that extra gap will protect the value of your blade against chip much better. So sooner or later it will pay off itself. I am surprise to see most second hand rubbers are poorly cut and turn off potential buyers like me.

Here is another link of the video.

Can we find it in any english website?????
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Black

BH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2012 at 1:20am
Looks to me it is a one man business who is also the sole designer of the product. Not sure if he is ready to go global. I think all he need is the product get hot in China or some big name buy the right to mass produce it. To be honest it doesn't look too bright in China as most Chinese rubbers are hard and many can cut beautifully with just a 2 dollar blade. I think it suits more to the Western market because of the price and how it deals with soft rubbers.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2012 at 6:26am
you can also try this- place masking tape at the back of the rubber onto the sponge, place it unto the blade. it must be secured that it will not move. cut the rubber using an office cutter (new one) while pressing the blade against the rubber firmly. remove the rubber and the masking tape then glue the rubber to the blade it will expand for 1 or 2 mm
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

you can also try this- place masking tape at the back of the rubber onto the sponge, place it unto the blade. it must be secured that it will not move. cut the rubber using an office cutter (new one) while pressing the blade against the rubber firmly. remove the rubber and the masking tape then glue the rubber to the blade it will expand for 1 or 2 mm

But when you take off the rubber to change blades or reglue etc, wont the rubber then strink?
I did something similar before and I end up loosing 1 to 2mm still Unhappy
vmayon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmayon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2012 at 8:15pm
Just press the TT blade against the blade of the cutting machine, and that will give you a perfect cut everytime just like a band saw.
lixiaoduo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lixiaoduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2012 at 4:09am
Takkyu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takkyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2012 at 10:00pm
That's awesome. I want one, but a bit expensive
VISCARIA fl
Hurricane 3 Provincial
Stiga Boost TX
lixiaoduo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lixiaoduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2012 at 6:26pm

New patent product :PORTABLE ELECTRIC TABLE TENNIS RUBBER CUTTER”  

Adapts to any racket, weight 0.52kg, suitable for the 100~240V power source. 

Designed and focused on safety and protection for rackets, regardless the power closure or open there is Non-hidden danger.As long as you keep the blade sharp and cutting with a suitable speed, the rate of finished products is 100%. 

Unique 0-2mm adjustable edge function provides precise control  of cutting on the rubber width, leave an edge to protect the racket, the elasticity rubber has good impact resistance, provides better protection than the normal side tape. 

If you are a side tape lover you can also use this function make an edge  same width as side tape, it makes the racket and rubber, side tape all in one, so the rubber and side tape can make dual protections for the racket. Artistic and practical. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic