Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

New Ball Reviewed by Defender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
magnuseffect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnuseffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ball Reviewed by Defender
    Posted: 11/08/2012 at 10:58am
I had a chance to try the new ball last week and thought it might be interesting to post my impressions as a defender. If there are other reviews/videos of defenders trying the ball I would be interested to compare notes. Before trying the ball I had already seen the review by William Henzell and others and had an idea of how the ball would play but tried to keep an open mind.

The ball was of DHS brand and unknown star rating. I guess that the preview balls are the current best quality that manufacturers are able to make. The broken sound is very noticeable at first, but we quickly got used to it. While playing with the ball for about 30 minutes other players where frequently making comments about our ball being broken. We were quick to explain before anyone could step on it :)

We recorded videos of both backhand and forehand chopping and forehand counterlooping. We also made similar videos with the current ball for comparison. 

Backhand Chop

The effects of the new ball might not be obvious from just looking at the video. But looking at the amount of spin after the ball hits the net or the way my opponent miscalculated some of the shots gives an idea. However as a player the effect is very noticeable. Chopping slow and heavy topspins to my long pips would return much less spin than before. My opponent could easily continue looping balls that would have been hard to lift before. The reduced spin on brush chops also makes variation between spin and no-spin chops less effective. My opponent commented that on faster loop drives with solid contact between the ball and the pips more spin was returned.

On the forehand side I usually don't chop much but tried it a bit to see if it behaved differently than with the pips. My impression was that when forehand chopping the amount of spin was more similar to the current ball. Counterlooping with forehand was relatively easy, but the ball seemed to bounce a bit higher off the bat. Particurlarly when doing sidespin hook (banana) loops the trajectory of the ball was much higher and needed adjustment. The amount of spin also appeared to be a good deal less.

For comparison here is some videos with the current ball:
Regular ball backhand chop: http://youtu.be/cOjI9OHLoC8, forehand: http://youtu.be/NLVUpoX4e4Y, serve, return and opening against chop:  http://youtu.be/rWinajX1n0o

Overall impression is that the ball has less spin. Specifically brushing the ball produces less spin while solid contact will give spin comparable to the old ball. Playing with the new ball I also had the feeling of having a bit more time. This may have been caused by the ball bouncing higher.

About the durability of the ball we did not notice any problems. I don't know how much the ball has been used before but it was not a new ball. One interesting observation was that the ball became discolored and picked up some of the blue color of the table.

After trying the new ball I'm worried about the effect it will have on the game. If the final version is similar to the one we tried I'm thinking that it will be easier for offensive players to loop or loop drive everything (like Xu Xin or Ryu Seungmin). Modern defenders that would use spin variation to get an easy ball to attack will have less opportunities to do so. Old school defenders like Chtchetinine will find it even harder to win points.

One positive effect may be longer rallies as less spin when brushing the ball will reduce service spin and we would have less easy popups. But perhaps at the cost of less spectacular rallies. Maybe we will no longer see rallies like in the "Power of side-spin" video on youtube. But its a bit too early to say before we see how top players adjust to the ball.

I think that at my level defense will still be a viable style. But even on that level we will probably see more of the defenders worst nightmare: Players that easily smash chops that are a bit too high. And then I'm not even thinking about short pip hitters.

PS: I'm using Tibhar Grass Defensive with 1 mm sponge on backhand, 2.0mm inverted on forehand and a defensive blade. It would be interesting to see the effect off no-sponge or less spinny pips with more spin continuation.

Edited by magnuseffect - 11/08/2012 at 1:12pm
Sponsored Links

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 11:11am

There once was a man from Nantucket Tongue

enjoyed your experience and opinions, can't wait to see how the final version plays...like the transition from 38 to 40, celluloid to poly will be accepted and relearned at your level some adjustments will happen but you will know what you need to do...at out level "smash and crash" we won't know the difference :)

Edited by The Shakehander - 11/08/2012 at 3:49pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnuseffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 1:09pm
Thanks Shakehander! I actually looked at the editor now and figured out how to embed :) The last three videos are of the current ball and for comparison only so I did not even try embedding them.
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 2:24pm
Thanks for the review, as someone who's currently trying to switch to a modern defensive style for fun, this was really informative. I still think at lower levels of play, probably up to about USATT 2000-2100 level, chopping can still be an effective style, it will just need to change slightly to adjust for the lower spin. Magnuseffect, did you try attacking the ball with your long pips? 
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 5:19pm
Great review
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 5:28pm
"One interesting observation was that the ball became discolored and picked up some of the blue color of the table."

This has me worried. It sounds like the new ball will shorten the life of a table.

OP, did you spin the ball to check for roundness (imperfection)?

Edited by Tinykin - 11/08/2012 at 5:40pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 5:36pm
OH NOES Shocked The new Poly balls are made by The BORG!!!!ShockedShocked

"You will comply, you will be ASSIMILATED" LOL
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2012 at 8:31pm
I feel like it would make it easier for both attackers and defenders. I don't think longer rallies is such a bad thing at all.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2012 at 12:22am
I find it interesting that brush strokes produce less spin. That suggests that the new ball has less friction against the rubber topsheets than the old one which is most likely the main reason people experience less spin. It will be interesting to see if they improve the surface so the ball is more susetpible to being spun up.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnuseffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2012 at 4:19am
ztec: Sorry did not try that. For pips with sponge and a bit of friction I think higher bounce and less incoming spin will make it easier to attack. For OX pips and friction less pips maybe it will be harder as there is less spin to reverse.

Tinykin: Forgot to check for roundness too. I can say though that the bounce felt consistent. Will ask to borrow the ball again for a follow up on roundness and pips attackability.

GoldenDragoon: In previous threads this has been explained by the ball being deformed less when hit and thus there is less surface area between the rubber and the ball for the friction to work on. Ball deformation as a function of impact force may be quite different with the poly ball than the celluloid ball. And maybe this is most different on low impact hits that you would get when brushing. The poly material may have less friction as well but if it was only this factor I think we should see a more linear decrease in spin and that it should not depend so much on the angle between ball and bat.

Would be interesting if someone could set up a robot and a return board and try different spins, speeds and angles on the return board with both poly and celluloid ball. Then combine that with a high speed camera...

Hopefully manufacturers are doing test such as this and working on improving the poly ball.

Edited by magnuseffect - 11/09/2012 at 4:25am
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2012 at 8:33am
They have quite a while yet to produce an ideal ball so lets see what we get. One thing for sure is.that it will he.different so.some will love it.a.some will hate it.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic