Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Video] ohhgourami's inconsistent matchplay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Video] ohhgourami's inconsistent matchplay
    Posted: 01/15/2013 at 5:10am
Hi everyone,

I just came back from over a month of inactivity. Here is some match-play with my friend who is over 2000.

Sorry in advance for my horrible cameraman and my sloppy playing after being exhausted already Embarrassed

http://youtu.be/GYfJwGWD_14
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 6:21am
Nice camera angle. You could put it under the table. Wink
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 6:33am
Imago, this is a masterpiece. I still can't work out how they filmed a TT match from the deck of the Titanic.. Inside a stadium, freaking genius
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 7:02am
I managed to see first 2 mins, then somebody's ass covered scene.
You invest some money and time in tt I suppose? Branded shirt, expensive equipment, camera...Why dont you then buy some cheap 30$ stand for camera to make your life easier?
Anyway, with 210 gr bat you will hardly improve your current level. Go for 170.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:13pm
You need a tripod.  And be more confident.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 3:18pm
Funniest.Video.Ever.Seriously.   

Edited by bonggoy - 01/15/2013 at 3:18pm
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 4:22pm
You worry too much about form. Stop worrying about how you look hitting the ball, and worry more about actually getting the ball over the net.
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 4:30pm
hehe it's all about the serve and receive... your serve needs more work coz no way there's so many serve mistakes, you can't just give away free points like that. Also, recovery after serve is not correct, you stand up after serving (I used to do that a lot and get commented about it by other players), the right leg needs to go much farther back and to the right after serving, maintaining a good forward lean and body posture ALL the time(your friend does an excellent job on this).

Also, don't play underspin that often against penholders, they are much better than us in their pushing skills. I normally serve heavy side-topspin or no spin to disable their short push (requires a lot of touch to push those short, but i've seen my penhold friend do some that left me speechless), together with quality long serves down the line or to the BH (learnt that from watching Waldner play Ma Lin/Liu Guoliang) to help us enter the rally stages where we have the advantage. 
In terms of receive, fast, sudden, long deep pushes with good placement and some flips would help your game a lot against penholders. You don't need to flip hard, you can just do a nice safe slower flip to open the point, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Penholders love short underspin balls coz they can place it wherever they want with an extremely high level of control.

Hope this helps.

As for me, I'm now taking a half-year to 1 year break to focus on general fitness and strength training before I even restart TT, coz I don't want to get any further injuries Dead

Edited by blahness - 01/15/2013 at 4:38pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Imago, this is a masterpiece. I still can't work out how they filmed a TT match from the deck of the Titanic.. Inside a stadium, freaking genius
\

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Like Garwor said, "tripod". You can get small ones for 10 bucks. 
When you have enough time, your forehand looks beautiful. I honestly think you could be an awesome modern defender. Since, you favor your big forehand, and seem to be under time pressure most of the time. Long pips will make your game more relaxed, and give you much more time.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

hehe it's all about the serve and receive... your serve needs more work coz no way there's so many serve mistakes, you can't just give away free points like that. Also, recovery after serve is not correct, you stand up after serving (I used to do that a lot and get commented about it by other players), the right leg needs to go much farther back and to the right after serving, maintaining a good forward lean and body posture ALL the time(your friend does an excellent job on this).

Also, don't play underspin that often against penholders, they are much better than us in their pushing skills. I normally serve heavy side-topspin or no spin to disable their short push (requires a lot of touch to push those short, but i've seen my penhold friend do some that left me speechless), together with quality long serves down the line or to the BH (learnt that from watching Waldner play Ma Lin/Liu Guoliang) to help us enter the rally stages where we have the advantage. 
In terms of receive, fast, sudden, long deep pushes with good placement and some flips would help your game a lot against penholders. You don't need to flip hard, you can just do a nice safe slower flip to open the point, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Penholders love short underspin balls coz they can place it wherever they want with an extremely high level of control.

Hope this helps.

As for me, I'm now taking a half-year to 1 year break to focus on general fitness and strength training before I even restart TT, coz I don't want to get any further injuries Dead

I completely lost my serves since I've stopped. I can't help it Dead

You make very good points though. I never thought about how to serve against penholders.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

\

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Like Garwor said, "tripod". You can get small ones for 10 bucks. 
When you have enough time, your forehand looks beautiful. I honestly think you could be an awesome modern defender. Since, you favor your big forehand, and seem to be under time pressure most of the time. Long pips will make your game more relaxed, and give you much more time.

Like I said, sorry for my horrible camera man. This was spontaneously recorded off my phone - no tripod for that.

Next video I post will hopefully be stable and when I'm fresh.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 7:16am
Seriously though, I've been watching your videos for years and you always look like mini ma long, except you don't know how to play the game. You could literally forget footwork and looping, stand still and block the ball and be twice as good a player as you currently are. Table tennis at your level isn't about looking like pro number x. Its about getting the ball on the table. I would forget everything you know and concentrate on NEVER missing for a few years before you get too excited about big random swings that miss. Go slower and slower on your blade until you get 95% of your shots on the table, dumping serves in the net in the amounts you do is not on either, if that serve isn't going on 99% of the time, its too complex for you, do something that will go on. I hope that is constructive criticism because you really should have improved a lot more by now and I'm sure your focus on looks is costing you in improving so its time to give up on that

Edited by bluebucket - 01/19/2013 at 7:18am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 8:41am
Maybe you should limit playing with your friend to 30 minutes of drills, then play 1 or 2 matches. Then You need to play more with people around your level or even lower, it will help build your consistency. you need to have the fire to win, not just trying to be competitive. Remember better player helps build your confidence, worse player helps build your consistency, you need both to win.  
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 12:36pm
Didn't you post a video about two years ago, at which point everybody suggested you cut the acting and focus on making the ball hit the table? Not sure if you're really interested in getting advice. You're inconsistent because you're focused on how you look instead of getting the ball on the table, resulting in very weak shots that don't even land. Practice consistent looping and hitting and you'll find that your loop form will change significantly out of necessity. Instead of looking like a beautiful "ma long straight armed chinese style forward loop" or whatever, it just looks awkward and out of place, and the corresponding results occur. Sincerely hope you heed the advice this time around in order to progress your game.

Edited by idk - 01/19/2013 at 12:37pm
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

This is ridiculous; what is wrong with wanting to have good form? why would that be interpreted as "wanting to look good"? Some people in this thread sound like old ladies jealous of another one who looks better than them...
ohh: I like everything in the FH; on top of that sound technique if you build speed and a 'will to destroy' you will become scary. one remark: when you are closer to the table maybe you could keep the elbow slightly close to the body to gain speed. 
Serve return is sound; stepping forward for the fh push, lifting underspin on short serves to your bh, technique is there.
When you can play 3 times a week or more your game will go through the roof. I see many players in the 2300+ range playing a couple matches after an hour practice session; maybe you need that as well. Also getting into a weekly league and staying motivated to make it to table 1 and dominate there is a noble goal. Forget usatt: no more than 2 big tourneys a year like us open and nationals if you can to make sure you can play in tournament condition plenty of people you do not know.
You are of course much better than the last time; and going up!!!
WELL DONE BUDDY!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have good form, there's something wrong with having your game hindered because of the desire to look good rather than land the ball on the table. If the grandiose forehand rips were used when appropriate such as with high or weak balls, then they'll become a true weapon. However when it's used every single time it just leads to inconsistency.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 1:12pm

Seriously though, I've been watching your videos for years and you always look like mini ma long, except you don't know how to play the game. You could literally forget footwork and looping, stand still and block the ball and be twice as good a player as you currently are. Table tennis at your level isn't about looking like pro number x. Its about getting the ball on the table. I would forget everything you know and concentrate on NEVER missing for a few years before you get too excited about big random swings that miss. Go slower and slower on your blade until you get 95% of your shots on the table, dumping serves in the net in the amounts you do is not on either, if that serve isn't going on 99% of the time, its too complex for you, do something that will go on. I hope that is constructive criticism because you really should have improved a lot more by now and I'm sure your focus on looks is costing you in improving so its time to give up on that

Tis a little harsh. Some people like to dress to impress. If you gave me a choice, to miss while looking good like ohhgourami or standing still and blocking. I would choose missing while looking good, because there is more potential down this route(even if I will never achieve the potential, can't hurt to try). Like my ma' used to say "some people want one chocolate, and some people want the whole box of chocolates."
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

....there's something wrong with having your game hindered because of the desire to look good rather than land the ball on the table.
that's just an interpretation...your own view. anyway show us a video of yourself please.

More like a well supported theory from the video, which mainly segues into my tip that his strongest shot (which is clearly one that could give trouble to players above his level, so props for that) should be used more conservatively in order to maximize it as a weapon rather than a hindrance. I think we're all big boys, we can handle some advice delivered in a somewhat blunt manner, right? I could go on and on about his strong points, but I'm sure he already knows those, and its hard to extract much from this recording. Why should I post a video of myself? I'm 1200 and not ready for the youtube world yet!!1 i dont want my feelings hurt

Edited by idk - 01/19/2013 at 1:48pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 3:59pm
I should be better and I should be more consistent too. But my legs have already given out by the time I played him. When my legs give out, my consistency goes from dependable to nonexistent. This video is supposed to show me at my worst with the occasional good shot. Too bad I couldn't show that with two videos.

Yes I posted videos of me playing 2 years ago and my gameplay seems to not have changed as much either. Averaging 4 hours a week then taking half-year breaks really isn't helping me improve.

As harsh as some of the advice is, I can take it as it is. This video was mainly taken to show my coach, which lives on the other side of the country now, to see what I should mainly focus on.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
ztec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 4:31pm
Just a couple thoughts from your video, take it with a grain of salt, I'm not a 2000 level player but this is just what my eyes tell me: 

Serving needs some work, you miss a few, but more importantly you're not really anticipating your opponent's returns well. For example, at 1:03, you serve long but don't seem to anticipate your opponent returning long to your forehand and you're late for that shot. For that serve you should be anticipating a long return, especially to your corners. Knowing what returns to expect off your serve is just as important as the serve itself. 

Footwork: A few times in the match I noticed you start winding up your forehand swing before you've moved, which puts you out of position and leads to awkward shots. For example, at 2:48, after your opponent pushes, your arm goes back and your upper body leans all the way out, but your feet haven't moved at all. Adam Hugh pointed this out in my play a couple years back, and it's something I still try to improve, myself. If you check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFoLJDUupE, you'll see in the slow-mo that WLQ actually takes a quick step before he winds up for the shot. Try working on that to put yourself in better position. 

Forehand: When you're in position and have time, you hit some great shots. Try drilling 3-4 soft loops consecutively and then one strong loop to build up your consistency and work on setting yourself up for winners. 

Backhand: A few times, you're really reaching for the ball, slow down and let the ball get closer to your body on backhand to give yourself more time and more control. Think about working on using your backhand to block/drive the ball to various spots to move your opponents around and set up your forehand? Instead of going for broke on big backhands, keep it on the table to get a weaker return from your opponent for your forehand. 

Edited by ztec - 01/19/2013 at 4:44pm
Your play will change your opinion of your equipment more than your equipment will change your opinion of your play.
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2013 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

When my legs give out, my consistency goes from dependable to nonexistent. 

Happens to all of us. 

Plyometrics, running, strength training Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic