Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Offensive-S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Offensive-S
    Posted: 02/01/2013 at 10:57pm
I just got a Xiom Offensive S blade and I am somewhat hesitant of gluing up rubbers on it without a light seal job first.  It does seem to have a light seal already, but I can feel some micro dry/protruding grains of wood as I run my fingers across the blade face.  

Has anyone found problems gluing and re-gluing this blade a few times without extra sealing?   I plan on testing 2 different sets of rubbers on it for sure, and I do not want any splinters, but want to try it without any extra sealing first.

Also, I see several with this blade in their signatures and would love to hear your experiences with it compared to previous blades you have been using.  I am wondering if it will feel at all like the Virtuoso and a few other OFF- types of blades I have tried.  So, using this thread as a sort of review/comments section for this blade.  Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2013 at 11:02pm
I have had a few. It is also my current setup.

If you plan on using WBG then I think it is always a good idea to do a light seal. I personally prefer the Joola sealant.

If you use rubber cement then you will be fine without sealing.

My two cents.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2013 at 11:22pm
Oh, yes I forgot to mention I will use Tear Mender on it.  Thats why I am unsure I want to glue without adding a light seal even though it seems to have a light factory seal on it.  Normally, I would not even hesitate to do my normal lacquer job on it.  Not sure why I am tempting fate by thinking ...."just glue it man....go for it"  LOL  Famous last words huh.  

Anton, I know some of the blades you have been using in the past.....does this blade offer you more feel, control, possibly helps your game play by putting more balls in play..... while still being fast enough for your likes?  Sort of like it does not do anything super special but does everything so well it makes your match play more consistent and better over all?  I ask this because I know you have used some of the faster composite blades as well as some stiffer or more solid feeling ones as well. 

The Offensive S I have is 84g and ST handle, though slightly on the thin side for my likes...its not bad.  Most of the blades I have been using are 88 to 91 grams.  And I have a feeling I will be comparing it with a Virtuoso and my Galaxy E2 as far as the all wood blades go I have liked lately. 

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2013 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Anton, I know some of the blades you have been using in the past.....does this blade offer you more feel, control, possibly helps your game play by putting more balls in play..... while still being fast enough for your likes?  Sort of like it does not do anything super special but does everything so well it makes your match play more consistent and better over all?  I ask this because I know you have used some of the faster composite blades as well as some stiffer or more solid feeling ones as well. 

Great quality, very good feel, good control, stiff but not too stiff, plenty of speed.

You said it pretty right on: It does everything very well and lets me just play my game.

It also pairs very nicely with the rubbers I use.

I have absolutely no complaints about this blade. AND, it's only about $50. Clap

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2013 at 1:56am
This is a very interesting blade, like the two-faced Janus. If you put hard rubbers on it, e.g., Haifu BW2, it is a controllable ALL+/Off- blade; if pairing it with Xiom Vega Europe the blade becomes a raging beast. ST handle is just as big as it must be - even a little bigger; wink to Dual700.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2013 at 1:59am
I will say that I think it's a rubber picky kind of blade. I have had some rubbers on it that just made it play like 'meh'. Others, like Renanos Hold for instance, play like they were made to be put on that blade. H3 is pretty good, but RH is the best rubber I've played with on that blade. 

05fx is alright, but I bet the 1.9 regular 05 i used before (and will go back to when this stuff is worn out) would be beast on it. 

Edited by beeray1 - 02/02/2013 at 2:00am
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2013 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

This is a very interesting blade, like the two-faced Janus. If you put hard rubbers on it, e.g., Haifu BW2, it is a controllable ALL+/Off- blade; if pairing it with Xiom Vega Europe the blade becomes a raging beast. ST handle is just as big as it must be - even a little bigger; wink to Dual700.

LOL

My recent trip to my home country.. I had both ZQ and Offensive S handles thickened by 1 mm overall. $5 each. Big smile Now they are awesome to hold. I wish I brought both of my P700s with me Tongue

Thanks to Rokphish's connection Clap
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2013 at 4:36pm
Im jealous dual.....I would love to have my ST at least 1+mm thick.

I could went ahead and put a light seal on my Offensive S....maybe test it tomorrow or by Wed. night with Rakza soft 2.0 on both sides.  I also have 2 barely used reg Rakza sheets in 2.0 to test on it as well.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2013 at 10:49am
Had a hit with the Offensive-S  with 2 Rakza soft 2.0's.    NEXT  throw was way too high.   Trying regular Rakza 2.0 this wed. at club.  
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 1:38pm
Ok back after a normal club practice.   Originally I had quickly tested the Offensive-S with dual Rakza soft 2.0's on it......only on my robot for a few minutes.  I may have made a panic move thinking the throw was way too high and took the rubbers off quickly.  So I did not really test this setup in a normal play scenario.

But I did test the setup with 2- Rakza regular 2.0's last night at my club play.  Throw was low to medium low and I had not expected that....was expecting a more medium angle with that setup.  

Ok....the blade with the 2 Rakza regulars played very well.  Active strokes were highly rewarded and I had good pushes and touch shots leaving balls short if needed.  Passive shots were not as accurate as I am used to when using the softer Rakza.  The one negative aspect for me if there are with this blade.....is the thin ST handle.  It is def. thinner than my Yasaka Extra SC and ML SC ST handles.  The setup with the 2 Rakza regular 2.0's weighed in at 180 with my Offensive S blade being 84 grams.   This is a normal weight for my setups....but it felt pretty head heavy with the thin handle.  It felt like I did not have enough leverage with the thinner handle.  Probably as thin as some Nittaku handles I am thinking. 

But with that said.....I really played well and liked the results of the blade feel and performance.  I have been having a hard time finding a all wood OFF- blade that I am satisfied with in comparison to the composite OFF- blades I use.  The vibrations were minimal for a all wood blade so thin and I did not expect this.  The feedback was clear and left me with a idea this blade can work well with a variety of rubbers. 

I will report back with my findings after I get a chance to play with it a few times using Rakza soft 2.0.  I need to get some Rakza soft max rubbers sometime if I can sell a few blades, normally I use them on my Extra SC and have settled on them for my favorite setup.

Even with little use....I can honestly say after EJ'ing on a lot of blades...for the money....this is a solid choice of blades to try!

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 1:50pm
I'm glad you seem to be enjoying the blade. 

However, I'm very surprised by your comments on the handle. I'm fairly "sensitive" to handles being too thin. For example, despite their awesome selection and quality, I won't even purchase a Nittaku blade anymore. But I find the Offensive S straight handle to be quite comfortable.

Anyway, I guess everyone's hand is shaped a little differently and preferences vary. I'm just surprised by that observation. 

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 2:13pm
I'll take macro pics of my modded handles of Offensive S and ZQ for rich sometime LOL
They are very thin, indeed. But like Anton, I won't touch Nittaku anymore, esp their FL handles, ridiculously small. Tongue
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 2:57pm
Thin handles?

Use grip tape.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 3:01pm
Nope, don't like grip tape at all. Ouch
Also, using grip tape makes the overall handle larger. ZQ and Offensive S has wide enough handle, just need to be thicker, not wider.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 4:03pm
Anton....in comparison to the Yasaka ST handles....this Offensive-S is more round and just slightly thinner.  I normally like a SQ/ST handle because it fills out better in my slightly large hands, and I just like the feel of having a flat spot on the top and bottom face with an edge the square shape makes. 

To give you guys some idea, I felt the OSP stock SQ/ST was perfect in size....as well as the Nexy Color ST handles.  The pictures I had seen of the Offensive S ST handle....made it look like it was wider than the average asian blades.  But in reality, it is not as thick or wide as most of the pictures from the manufacture/sellers show. 

Also, this size of the handle is not a major flaw for me to drop the blade, just that I really felt the balance of the blade to be very top heavy with the 2 Rakza regular 2.0 rubbers on it.  When I use the slightly lighter soft Rakza 2.0's on it......it may offset that sensitivity in my hand i feel from the volume of the handle size.  I will lower the racket setup about 5 grams going to the soft version of Rakza. 

I do use grip wrap (thin wilson grip from the big box stores) on my handles because it does make them feel bigger and I can have a more relaxed grip with the added grippy/sticky feeling from the wrap.  But the normal grip I use did not fill out the Offensive S handle enough for me.  I think maybe the FL version of this blade may not be a thin feeling as compared to other FL handles.....not sure though. 

So I guess I am opposite feeling as Dual is....I wish the handle was wider and not thicker.

I do have a Nittaku Monophonic ST blade....and this handle is much thinner than the Offensive S for sure.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 4:20pm
Just measured my Ma Lin SC and the Offensive S, ST handles.

Offensive S ST  22x28x101.  
Yasaka Ma Lin SC ST 22x29x101

Yasaka handle has a slight flat spot on the face sides which makes it feel barely wider as it fills out in your hand slightly more than the more round shape of the Xiom blade.  This for me was what I noticed instantly when when I held the Offensive S.  Some my not find this to be thin if they are used to round ST handles.  I much prefer the square ST handles and this is why I say the Offensive S feel thin to me.  Let me just say the difference between this blade and my Yasaka's is not much....just the shape difference and the Yasaka is 1mm wider on the sides. 

Also, I did notice the recent batches of the Offensive S seem to be about 5 or more lighter than the first reports of the blades weights.  I wonder if they changed handle dimensions?   As others have commented to me that looking at the pictures of the Offensive S for sellers and the manufacture, this ST handle looks to be wider than what I have.  I too was expecting this Xiom blade to have a wider handle than my Yasaka blades, but it is not. 

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 5:03pm
Rich, don't get the FL version of the Off S. I've tried it.
I have had over 10 Amadeus, Strads, Aria, etc etc. Those older version do have a large FL handle that are very comfortable and close to ST handle with the exception of the bottom is slightly larger.
I bought the FL with the hope that it is the same FL handle as the older ones. Not.

I do like Yasaka YEO's square handle. That is perfect for me. I prefer squarish ST handle myself.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2013 at 6:12pm
dual.....I only was thinking the FL might be more full shaped.   I do not want one......I am totally a ST handle EJ now!    I am trying to cull all my FL blades and also get rid of most of my collection.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by dual700 dual700 wrote:

My recent trip to my home country.. I had both ZQ and Offensive S handles thickened by 1 mm overall. $5 each. Big smile Now they are awesome to hold. I wish I brought both of my P700s with me Tongue

Thanks to Rokphish's connection Clap

dual.....would like to see the pics of the thickened handles you have.      Wink

Ok, now that I have played matches with the Offensive S with the 2.0mm Rakza soft rubbers, I like this blade even more than with the 2 regular Rakza 2.0 rubbers on it. 

Weights with 84g Offensive S ST:
Rakza Soft 2.0mm  173g
Rakza reg 2.0mm 179g

This weight difference using the softer Rakza made the blade so much more balanced and not at all head heaving feeling in the least.  For this reason I was able to play much better touch shots and had a greater ease of short play close to the net.  Brush looping was clearly more easy to accomplish with better control and placement. 

But, just after one club night playing I can say my looping  barely suffered with some shots not having enough arch to hit the table end consistently (many just an inch or less off table end or sides).  I can adjust this with much more play most likely.   One big difference I had a hard time with adjusting to was the blocking ability.  While playing a more aggressive looper/driver, I had a hard time placing blocks that would not fly off long and not close to the table end.   Using the regular Rakza 2.0mm was much much easier to place low fast blocks on the table.  This is surely the norm when going from a softer sponge to a stiffer one, but I did not expect this to be as dramatic with the small difference in sponge hardness of these 2 rubbers.    I had to close the blade face so much more to have good blocks from fast powerful loops and drives than I would with the Soft Rakza on my Yasaka Extra SC blade. 

As I mentioned the blade balance was so much better and pretty much centered with the soft version rubber.   I would really like to use some of the soft Rakza in Max thickness though.   I think that may be even better than the other 2.

With my limited use (2 club nights with 2 different rubber setups) of the Offensive S......I still think this is an excellent blade and can see using it quite alot.  I probably would not want to use a rubber on it that was over 44-46g cut though on both sides.  I just lost too much feel and it became too head heavy for my liking.  So if your using a ESN tensor or the like, keep that in mind if you do not like a head heavy setup.   Rakza is hard for me to quit with other ESN offerings being much heavier so far. 

The only other rubber so far that I am interested in might be the Xiom Vega Japan.   Have to wait and hear more on it though. 

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 6:43pm
I bought a Solo and an Offensive S at the same time. I had a hard time deciding which I liked more, but in the end went with the solo. I preferred the ball feel, and it was a little bit faster and heavier. I felt more comfortable with it. The OS had a nice solid feel too, but there was a certain emptiness in comparison. They are both very very solid and straight forward blades. Get what you give. I just had more confidence with the Solo. 
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2013 at 11:52pm
Rich, here they are. The guy did a very good job. Looks stock.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I bought a Solo and an Offensive S at the same time. I had a hard time deciding which I liked more, but in the end went with the solo. I preferred the ball feel, and it was a little bit faster and heavier. I felt more comfortable with it. The OS had a nice solid feel too, but there was a certain emptiness in comparison. They are both very very solid and straight forward blades. Get what you give. I just had more confidence with the Solo. 
I can see why you feel more confident with the Solo, specially with H3, The Solo is stiffer, and linear.  However, I am a bit surprice to hear that it is also faster and more solid than the OS.  I have not played the Solo for almost 2 yrs, and did not compare them side by side, with same rubbers, but if I have to guess from memory I would have said the opposite, so I may be wrong on this.  Also note that the OS is only linear upto a point, say at ~70% power, it start to act like a catapult, and the ball can go really fast.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2013 at 3:34pm
UPDATE:     Now after a few club sessions with the Rakza 7 regular 2.0 on it again....I would use these rubbers over the soft version in 2.0mm.   BUT...I wish I had some R7 soft MAX to test too. 

With the regular R7 I could put more loops/drives on the table because of the throw angle being lower. Also having more speed helped as well, especially moving back off the table. 

I had to give up the touch shots and close net playability of the soft version, but gaining better loops and more balls on the table offset my choice with these 2 rubbers. 

I am still just messing with this blade as a 2nd choice of setup, I still have not found anything better FOR MY GAME than my Yasaka Extra 3D SC with max soft R7 on FH and regular R7 2.0 on the BH. 

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2013 at 5:55pm
o...o...
@ Richie
your time w/XOS ST (seems to me) is almost done. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic