Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

FH rubber change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FH rubber change
    Posted: 06/02/2013 at 2:07pm
In an effort to stop EJ'ing, for the past year or more I have solely used an Extra 3D with Thors' on FH and Shark II soft on BH.  I have gotten a fair amount of coaching and practice and have improved my overall game significantly.  For reference, I play an all-out attack two-winged loop driving/hitting style and my aim is likely to blow you off the table with power.   

It became readily apparent to me as our local tournament season was coming to an end that I have outgrown the Extra 3D.  The blade has just too much variability in how the ball comes off to the point where I cannot "aim" at a point on the table and expect to hit it.  It was a great blade to develop but it does not fit my long-term style.  Therefore, I first switched to a TBS and now later an Innerforce ZLC and have noted that my ability to place the ball with spin and power has increased significantly after the change.  In particular I enjoy the woody feel of the IF ZLC as opposed to the "pingy" carbon of the TBS.  The TBS was just a little too crisp which I attribute to the Koto outer ply and I like the feeling of the softer wood layers on the IF ZLC.  

I also switched to T80 for my FH at the same time that I switched blades as I did not have a new sheet of Thor's.  While the T80 is fantastic for blocking and looping, I definitely feel that my serve and overall short game has lost some bite and is not as spinny.  I think that this is due to the lack of tack on the topsheet but I am not 100% sure.  

I would like to find a new FH rubber that has more "bite" (i.e. short game spin generation) while maintaining as much of the off the table looping quality as possible.  In the past Thor's seemed to have a good mix of these options to me, but I am not sure if that is the best long-term choice (I also do not notice Thor's seems to be used nearly as much as in the past).  I am guessing that H3 might be a good fit but I would definitely appreciate some feedback so that I don't waste money EJ'ing rubbers.  HELP!!!

Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 2:10pm
Have you tried the Ma Lin carbon?  What is your tournament rating?
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 2:14pm
I enjoyed reading the dynamics and your analysis of your progression. 

Since you are coming from Thor's and you already made the step toward expensive Tenergy rubbers, I suggest as a purely logical choice you give a try to Spinart: it is a really good very spinny rubber that is not slow at all. I would go for max to stay as close to the Thor's sponge thickness.!

If Spinart does not work and you want to go away from tackiness then Donic Baracuda is one of the next choices.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 2:36pm
I am currently rated 1484.  Unfortunately in our local area there is a large logjam of players just below 1500 and a fair gap to a group of wily veteran players at 1750+.  The vets are particularly good at picking apart your weaknesses as they've watched us all develop.  I consistently give them a good match and even break through occasionally.   

The primary issues that were holding me back were difficulty reading serve through a lack of experience and working out some bad technique and bad habits.  Our local coach is very good with technique and working with Brian Pace has helped me build out my game from there.  

As to blades:  I think I'm pretty happy with the IF ZLC although I couldn't resist ordering a Liu Shiwen given the highly favorable exchange rates.  

As to Fatt:  I definitely appreciate both your warm comments and certainly the feedback.  I did not consider SpinArt as I EJ'd with that briefly in the past.  My initial experience was that I liked Thor's better but it has been a while so I will consider that.  While this could change, right now I think that I prefer tacky as my serves were one of my great weapons as I could frequently fool even the 1800ish players.  

As an FYI, I do not have a Butterfly bias, but we are a Butterfly sponsored club run by someone with strong Butterfly bias... Pinch
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 3:21pm
If you still have your TBS, I'd put Xiom Omega IV on the FH. It helps to balance out the whole blade and you will have more accuracy with your FH.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 3:41pm
Dabookerman,

Your rating is too low for you to blame equipment for the limitations of your technique. When I was 1500, I EJed too, and I thought that slower blades didn't give me what I needed. My question to you is whether you have given up on coaching or not. If the answer is yes, then dabbled in equipment. If the answer is no, work on rethinking your technique and ball timing or ask better players who play the style you want to emulate to use your blade and give opinions/recommendations.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 3:59pm
If you're serious about improving, a proper setup is always important. It lays a foundation of your learning the proper strokes, feel of the ball...etc.
Blade balance is very important along with pairing of the rubbers.

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 4:13pm
Imo an extra 3D is as good blade as a MLC or a 3DSC or a LSW InnZLC.
The thing that i like about the LSW and the InnZlc is that they force to improve the playing level. They are more challenging blades than the 3D. And this is good to play better with the time.
Every blade with the right rubber. Nothing crazy to make a difficult setup to handle.
In a realistic way.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/02/2013 at 4:16pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 8:47pm
Has you level improved with t80?. I would have suggested you go from thors to tg3 until your control improves. Thors is more powerful, way too much power (as is tenergy) for 1500 level. Tg3 is cheap, just as good in a less powerful way. I think it'll be more suitable for your development. It serves better than thors and in the end serves and consistency should be you focus under us2000. I'd keep the extra if you were going to use tg3, it'll suit the rubber more than the butterfly blades
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 9:42pm
I appreciate what everyone is saying about developing my strokes and that is something that I have worked the hardest on over the past year.  I definitely have not given up on coaching; rather the coaching has proved to me that the 3D does not suit my game as some things I struggled with during coaching INSTANTLY improved when I changed blades (as I thought it would).    

Let me also add a couple things that might help.  I'm 37 and have been playing regularly for about four years, but do to work, family life (wife & son), and church, I play weekly for about four hours (incl. some coaching) and then I practice on my own.  It is challenging to improve when life has already gotten in the way... Ouch 

Our local club is very good for developing proper technique:  our local coach was roughly 2000 back in the day but knows good technique inside & out and we have a practice player who was the practice partner for a former foreign natl. champ.  We will occasionally bring Brian Pace up for a long weekend (which I jump on!).  At our last session, Brian believed that the only thing holding me back from 1600+ was more tactical awareness and shot sequencing so we worked on that last time (including my serve awareness - but that is a story all its own as it is DRAMATICALLY complicated by our local breakdown of players as I have posted elsewhere).  Brian thought that my strokes looked very solid.  I cannot emphasize enough the logjam of players and how that affects local ratings.  

I have a very solid understanding of stroke mechanics and have worked hard to refine that through coaching.  The main area where I struggle in tournament matches is mainly recognizing what others are doing which I mainly attribute to not having as much match experience and practicing/playing against the same group of players so frequently.  

I'm hoping to find my intermediate & beyond setup.  

As to JT99SF:  I don't particularly prefer the harder Koto top of the TBS as I used one for a while in the past.  I'm not ready to sell it (yet) but I like the feel of a softer outer ply.  

As to NextLevel, while I would certainly like to make 2000+ level, I'm also realistic in that it takes a fairly decent time commitment to do that.  Furthermore, that is complicated by the fact that, in the Roanoke, VA area where i live, the only 2000 level player lives 30 minutes away and he is a college student with WAY more time to spend than me.  I can assure you this is not just EJ'ing as I went through a previous EJ period and painfully learned a TON about what not to do from that.  

As to bluebucket:  I definitely give your words a lot of weight as your experience with Shark II soft was VERY similar to mine.  My rallying off the table game has improved with T80 but I have not used it in a tournament as our local series starts up again in the fall.  Now is thus my best time to make adjustments.  Since my sheet of SpinArt was in good shape, I glued that to the IF ZLC for a second evaluation.  I'll definitely consider the TG3 for my next purchase but I'll have to admit I have no history with it.  I need to investigate that; would you recommend possibly learning to boost and a provincial-type version?

I certainly appreciate ALL the feedback!
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 9:48pm
Let me also add that the T80 on the IFZLC has certainly not been too powerful.  It definitely has a "just right" feel in my loop driving/hitting game.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

As to NextLevel, while I would certainly like to make 2000+ level, I'm also realistic in that it takes a fairly decent time commitment to do that.  Furthermore, that is complicated by the fact that, in the Roanoke, VA area where i live, the only 2000 level player lives 30 minutes away and he is a college student with WAY more time to spend than me.  I can assure you this is not just EJ'ing as I went through a previous EJ period and painfully learned a TON about what not to do from that.  

I sympathize with your plight and understand what you are going through to some degree.

I notice that you went from a flexy blade in the ALL+/OFF- category (Extra 3D) to stiffer, faster blades in the OFF category.   Though the Innerforce is a good looping blade and the TBS also is good in the hands of an experienced player, my learning experience is that less experienced players who use faster blades over slower blades tend to have issues 1) developing an allround game and 2) starting an aggressive attack when they get a slower ball with little spin as they often have insufficient dwell time from the blade to give the ball their own signature.

Even with a slow ALL/ALL+ blade, if your opponent gives you pace, you can always send it back with interest with a drive stroke.  But where the slower blade really shines is when you want to open with a loop against underspin or no-spin - the extra dwell time lets you feel and place the ball with good spin.  Some people try to do this by using a fast blade with slower rubbers but that creates a different set of control issues.

I will not knock your experience changing blades as when people did that to me in the past, I initially thought it was absurd.  However, as someone with over 20 blades on sale right now, who is using a blade originally intended for choppers to loop, I'm just pointing out that while moving from a flexy blade to a stiffer blade *might* help results in the short term and make you a better hitter, it actually makes it harder to become a good looper without serious coaching.  Slower flexy/softer blades with softer rubbers might feel mushy at first, but the dwell time is great and once you learn to generate power with them, they improve your overall game in a very important way.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 10:25pm
In my experience TG3 works excellent without booster on a springy blade, which is why I thought you would try it on the extra 3d, its got nothing like the mid effort pace of thors or tenergy, the thing is it's more usable with less mistakes and allows more spin in the short game.  Shark is the best non tacky Chinese rubber so I guess you are happy to keep that on your backhand. You could possibly try Tau on the ZLC, I'm not using it myself but a 2000+ friend is on a stiff blade and he rates it highly, he's more a hitter than a high spin looper so I was surprised he'd like it so much, then again general specific is more of a hitter too and he likes it. I'll try Tau and get back to you on what I think in a couple of weeks. Thors is a great rubber, my experience with it was you could play amazing one day and not so great another day just because it's so demanding of perfect ball contact. TG3 is less demanding so on average I can play better with it, of course without the power Thors has

Edited by bluebucket - 06/02/2013 at 10:27pm
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2013 at 10:44pm
There are 4 players rated above 2000 here who use TG3 for forehand,
1 shakehand and 3 pen. It has excellent spin and is powerful in looping.
H3 is purely Chinese-style tacky, but TG3 is half Chinese-style tacky so you
probably can make a try. It also saves you money.
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 12:14am
Hi,
I was struggling with the same issues you are and tried a lot of equipment before I realized few things:
1. Blasting the ball will only get you so far. Even more so when you play against pips. Ball placement by controlling the depth of the ball and trying to hit near the sidelines is more important.
2. What is more important than sheer amount of spin in serves is variation in spin and placement. If your opponent has trouble opening your serves or pushing deep, you can take the initiative.
3. It is very important to develop a good BH block picking up sharp angles on the BH side for someone who tries to hit through the ball so that he can open up the table and then pivot and load up from the FH.
4. Every service outside the table should be looped. Every overspin or side spin service inside the table should be brushed on top or side of the ball just enough to get it over to the other side. Try never to chop/push a service if you can help it (except a short underspin serve).

Before I realized these things I was around 1500 and went through a series of equipment changes without any luck (H3, TG3, T88-I, Omega IV Pro, Sigma 1 Europe, Sigma 1 Pro). Once I implemented the above I stuck with OIV Pro and my rating has been increasing constantly (around 1950~2000 at present).

What damages a developing player more than anything is constant change in equipment. I've hardly seen anyone have an impressive loaded with underspin short push (which cannot be dropped short or pushed or flicked long) up to 2300 levels so there is nothing wrong with using a non-tacky rubber or a hard rubber like OIV pro and not having enough spin in the short game till then.

Thanks

Edited by ashishsharmaait - 06/03/2013 at 12:17am
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 7:07am
Originally posted by dabookerman dabookerman wrote:

I would like to find a new FH rubber that has more "bite" (i.e. short game spin generation) while maintaining as much of the off the table looping quality as possible. I am guessing that H3 might be a good fit but I would definitely appreciate some feedback so that I don't waste money EJ'ing rubbers.  HELP!!!
Aside from perhaps the banana flick I don't think it is crucial to generate that much spin in the short game, especially at the intermediate level. The main focus is to be able to keep the ball short/tight if necessary and to have reasonable control over incoming spin. Having a blade which is not too fast is the main thing which will help in this area. It will also help with any service return issues. I know the speed of blades like the IF ZLC can make them feel very nice to play with but you have to take note of how they perform in subtler areas such as short game, control, touch, dip and lifting backspin. 

That being said you seem very happy with the ZLC so maybe it is fine for you. Rubber-wise I would agree that H3 is probably a good choice for what you are after.

I know family and work can make things tough but don't set your sights too low. If you are getting coached, playing at a club 4 hours a week, and practicing yourself then reaching 2000 is quite achievable. Good luck. Smile

Edited by DDreamer - 06/03/2013 at 7:08am
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 9:57am
My turn again to respond to a few...

Let me also add that my off/off- blades are all well lighter than the mfg.'s stated weight (my TBS is 82g, for example) and I'm a firm believer that the blade weight affects the power level.  While I have giant hands for a TT player, I use ST and grip way up by the neck which makes blades play a tad more muted too.  We can debate these until the cows come home in a different thread, but that is my personal experience behind why the TBS and now the IF ZLC don't feel overly fast to me.  

NextLevel:  I certainly appreciate your perspective on this about the slower blades.  I first got into playing at work and I got into some fast blades because our table was SSSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWW.  Once I started playing primarily at a real club, I realized that the off/off- blades were too fast and I switched to a Andrezj Grubba (did NOT like it) and then my 3D.  So far I have not noticed the issues that you describe but, given my past experience with them I am certainly wary of that recurring.  I still have my 3D's and you'll get a nice "you were right" if/when I return.  Clap

Bluebucket:  I ordered the TG3 last night and am excited to try that after an upcoming vacation.  I would probably have preferred that over Thor's initially... but everyone was still riding the Thor's bandwagon at the time.  

ashishsharmaait:  1) I totally agree.  I prefer to blast but I can and will change up.  2) You're preaching to the choir on serves.  I have more variation in my service game than you can shake a stick at and that is the deadliest part of my game, spin or no-spin.  3) My blocking used to stink, so I put a lot of effort & coaching into that in the past so it is now a strength.  4) Again, I'm totally with you.    
I'm also with you on changing equipment - I played my current setup for more than a year and it definitely takes time to learn a setup.  I'll reiterate that I think I've found some limitations in my current setup and now is the time of year when I can change.  I'm making some controlled changes and will make a final decision(s) soon.  

DDreamer:  The subtleties that you note are exactly why I came here for some rubber selection advice.  I have considered H3 and that would be next on my list if I don't love SpinArt (tonight) or TG3.  I'm sincerely hoping that a different rubber provides those subtleties to my IF ZLC, but if not I will adjust.  

I also appreciate your encouragement.  It does take time and I know that it is ulitmately within my reach.  If not me, then there's always hope for the boy... Approve
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 10:47am
I tried my old sheet of Spin Art last night and have to say thanks to Mr. Fatt for the suggestion.  Although my sheet has virtually no tack left, I liked the combination of a hard FH rubber with a touch of spring sponge.  I'm still excited to try TG3 but Spin Art is in the long-term mix for sure.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

There are 4 players rated above 2000 here who use TG3 for forehand,
1 shakehand and 3 pen. It has excellent spin and is powerful in looping.
H3 is purely Chinese-style tacky, but TG3 is half Chinese-style tacky so you
probably can make a try. It also saves you money.

am i one of those :P.

anyway Tg3 or h3 will help you develop power with your FH..
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I can totally understand why on the fh one would want a tacky topsheet for super spinny serves and sponge bounciness at the same time for lively play. I could go there anytime.

I personally tend to prefer serves with low spin (underspin or topspin, close to the dead ball) instead of relying on an ace and take the risk of a loaded return when serving super spinny. I like to better hide what's on the ball with low spin and take advantage anyway of any mistake/misread in the return that will give enough room to attack and dominate the rally.

I did not try the Spinart enough but I clearly remember that even close to new, it is still fast; I have yet to experience its capabilities as it gets broken in.

At anytime we can have another one of those "The PERFECT RUBBER!!!" threads.  LOL

I use under, top, dead, low spin, high spin, long, short, side, and every combination in between off of both sides.  I hide, don't hide, make you think I'm trying to hide when I'm not, you name it.  There' almost always something that someone really doesn't like to get although that does certainly narrow as you level up.  I'm also a firm believer that nobody in table tennis should have crappy serves and, if you do, it's your own fault!  That is the one thing that you can practice on your own and you don't even have to have a table.  Consequently, I like a rubber that magnifies all of these options and hard tacky works best.  

At no time did the Spin Art feel uncontrollable and it performed well, but not as well as T80, away from the table.  I'm thinking that having a sheet with some tack might do the trick.    

I'll miss playing next week due to vacation, but I'll be able to try my TG3 when I get back.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 1:15pm
how about a video to demonstrate what you are really like. preferably a vid of you playign someone your level then someone higher a bit higher
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 1:32pm
Not a bad idea but it will be a while before I can do that.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 2:14pm
ZLC + T80 is really REALLY hard to beat for looping FH. I agree completely with your assesments of the new paddle. I myself find that T80 is not as spiny during serves or pushes as BlueFire or Evolution MXP. But once you swing and engage the sponge... it's like going through 2000RPM and the Turbo kicks in. Leaves you breathless.

at 1488 you either can't loop or you are not consistent. You can probably play with cheaper rubber without much loss of quality. U don't want to get used to cheap rubbers either. 

The rubbers that will give u the extra spin in the short game are BlueFire and Evolution. Get the hardest sponge always, in any rubber. 

Getting a rubber with extra spin in the short game is very unlikely to be a net gain for you. As someone else mentioned, spin is not that important in short game, especially after serve. Pushing is not meant to win points. Rubbers that generate a lot of spin are also extremely sensitive to incoming spin as well. Receiving heavy short sidespin to your FH can be a nightmare with Bluefire. 

My vote is to keep your ZLC + T80 on the FH and practice utilizing the potential of that setup. All other suggestions will degrade the overall quality of your setup, EVEN if it feels more pleasant. 

Your BH rubber is fairly non-reactive. That's good for control, but when you start developing  your BH loop you will need to move to euro jap rubber, preferably Tenergy.

Ah - last note from personal experience. Joola RHYZM is fantastic with ZLC for both FH and BH. If you want a cheaper rubber that feels like T80 on the ZLC, go for that. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 2:31pm
Maybe I can help with this topic as I have a very similar background as you do.
As for my history I started off using LKT Instinct as a blade with Inspirit IQUL for FH and BH. After about a year and a half I switched to Galaxy W6 for a blade and Palio Thor for FH and Palio Blitz for BH.
A year later I switched to Xiom Vega China FH but stayed Blitz for BH.
I did a brief switch to Rakza 7 FH and BH and really enjoyed how easy it was for me to attack with BH with the Rakza 7...but my ability to pressure with my FH felt limited.

So finally I am now at Xiom Tau FH, Rakza 7 BH.

In short I have used Thors for a year, Vega China for about 6 months, Rakza 7 FH for about 4 months and Tau for about 1 week so far.

I can say, without a doubt, that the Tau is the best "tensor" hard tacky rubber. It is hard as a brick but if you have good technique, it will reward you generously for it.

With the Tau I am able to produce short low super spinny slow shots as well as massive loop drives and everything in between. It is a lot less bouncy than the Rakza 7 so it's very easy to drop the ball short. The serves are also very good, probably 10-20% more spin than Rakza 7..and probably equiv to Vega China and Thors.
Maybe it is more sensitive to incomming spin but I haven't had a chance to play any 1900+ players with it. The players I have played (1200-1800), I've had no problems with serve receive.

My official rating is 1500 but most people believe I play at a 1600-1650 level (don't play a ton of tournaments).

I must stress that you absolutely need good technique to utilize Tau effectively. It will PUNISH you for weak technique.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 2:32pm
I forgot to add that I recently tried a friend's Aria + Tau combo. And Tau is AMAZING on Aria (at least compared to W6). So much so that after hitting with the Aria + Tau, I immediately went home and ordered an Aria.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 4:18pm
Good stuff... 

I do agree with what assiduous is saying about how T80 on the IF ZLC just feels AWESOME.  I do think there's something to be said for using a manufacturer's rubber on said manufacturer's blade as that is likely what the manufacturer used to prove it out.  I doubt that Butterfly gives a rip about how Yasaka rubber feels on their blades but that's likely another thread too.  

I agree that I may be focusing a bit too much on the short game.  I'm primarily concerned about losing any service quality but that may be complicating my already sucko service return.  I know that I push too much too when I should be taking the advantage (especially with no tournaments in the near future) - that's a good reminder.  

Since my thread is on FH rubber and my signature is now in progress, I should add that I switched to Rakza 7 2.0 soft on my BH already.  I played Mark V for a good while which is why I liked Shark II soft as a logical progression.  Switching to Rakza 7 as a further progression has been a breeze on that side.  I have also practiced my T80 on that side and it's a solid choice too but Rakza is fine for now while I decide (and I only have one sheet of T80).  I am trying to control the variables somewhat.  

Gatorling:  I have not tried any Xiom rubbers but I'll have to keep Tau in mind.  Xiom certainly has a good rep as a manufacturer.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 4:33pm
I can certainly understand where you're coming from on the officially 1500... BUT... thing.  My personal struggle is with serve receive, odd styles, and mental mistakes.  A few local players give me fits on serve return and that is one of the hardest areas to practice since you can't easily say, "you know that serve you killed me with?  hit me a bunch of them so that you can't beat me with it in the future"   
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 6:49pm
Return of serve has next to nothing to do with rubber once you have experience. Youll notice even long term players of intermedate standard have almost no problem returning serves compared to someone young of the same level. The problem is if you are using a highly reactive rubber its harder to learn about spin, to learn something you need to get it right once in a while to understand what worked, if you miss everytime you cant learn. That is the main reason we need to go through a stage of rubbers which are forgiving to become good table tennis players. Without that step you cost yourself many years of wasted effort
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Return of serve has next to nothing to do with rubber once you have experience. Youll notice even long term players of intermedate standard have almost no problem returning serves compared to someone young of the same level. The problem is if you are using a highly reactive rubber its harder to learn about spin, to learn something you need to get it right once in a while to understand what worked, if you miss everytime you cant learn. That is the main reason we need to go through a stage of rubbers which are forgiving to become good table tennis players. Without that step you cost yourself many years of wasted effort

+ infinity, and beyond!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2013 at 8:10pm
I agree 100% & definitely agree that rubber can only complicates things on return.  I don't miss everytime; rather I need to focus on generating a strong return.  One of the drawbacks is that we play too many matches at our club and don't practice enough on things like this.  If need be, i will spend an entire club match or club night focused on specific shots that I struggle with even if it means that I lose all my matches.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic