Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Topic ClosedSimilar to TBS but less power?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Antony View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar to TBS but less power?
    Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:26pm
I am currently using TBS. It gives good power and looping angle but I would like to have something softer.

I am looking for a Butterfly blade that gives similar touch, but with lesser power output so that I can better control it.

Any tips?

Peter Korbel?
Hong Kong, Singapore, Sweden, Australia
Liu Shiwen & OC-CR (FH: Globe999 BH:M2)
KLHS(FH:G999 BH:T05FX)
TBS(FH:T05 BH:T64)
OC-WRB(FH:H3 BH:Hammond Pro-Alpha)
Carbo7.6(FH:H3 BH:T64)
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:34pm
Maybe the Kong Linghui special.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2013 at 11:54pm
Michael Maze is your answer.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:20am
IF AL or TB Spark.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Antony View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:20am
Why avoid butterfly?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:22am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

IF AL or TB Spark.

Both are Butterfly blades.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:38am
everything suggested so far is butterfly. Korbel is not what you want really. It's a great blade, it's what I use still, and it's got a lot of control and dwell and good speed, but it's nothing like the solid smooth TBS. It's impossible to find a Kong Linghui Special these days, but TB ZLF or IF ZLF ir IF ALare all good answers. the ZLF blades are all softer and have a lot of control but still give that good feel- perfect for control looping games. Korbel is again good for a control based game, also good when you go for bigger power. But keeps everything under tight control with great feel. It's all wood though, but definitely worth trying. Not necessarily softer though, ZLF fits that bill better. 

Edited by beeray1 - 07/08/2013 at 12:44am
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:55am
The best fit is to get a lighter TBS.

AllezCho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 12:56am
Totally agree with beeray about the Korbel. It doesn't have a similar feel to the TBS at all. How much "lesser power output" are you looking for? And how much softer? Those are pretty important questions since the TBS is pretty fast and crisp. Most blades are slower and softer, so you're going to have to be more specific.

If you're looking for something with just a tad more control and softer feel, I'd suggest the Viscaria. It plays smooth as butter. It's still pretty fast though, so if you have big control issues, I'd probably go with 5-ply wood, or even look into the ZLF and AL-type blades that others have suggested. I don't have much experience with those fibers, so I can't give you any specifics besides much softer and flexy.  

Edited by AllezCho - 07/08/2013 at 12:58am
Viscaria
T05/T64
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:21am
viscaria is faster and greater power output past a certain point. maze is also faster and handle is designed for bigger hands. 

petr korbel is the base all wood model for the TBS without A/C. similar touch, lower speed. oh sang eun and fan zhendong use this one. one's a control player, one's a power looper. u can def. do both.

ZLF is also a good choice. some 2500's switched from korbel/tbs/mizutani to zlf. they should be quite similar.

AL, spec-wise might fit your reqs too but idk anyone who uses one. the rest i've tested but not AL.

Antony View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:28am
jonyer1980: Good point, Michael Maze could be the choice

Beeray1 and AllezCho: : Thanks for your suggestions and coments. I am not too sure. I first started with Kong Linghui Special around 7 years ago, but seems cant get a well matched rubber and it is always a headache about it. Maybe it was too shouting for me at that time. Then 2 years ago I changed to TBS and I was playing at Sweden at that time. Most games I played there are middle and I found it good with T05 + T64 combo. I personally think it is still a very good combo. Now I came back to Australia and now working with an asian coach, we both think we should be more into an asian style of playing and I wanted to have more control inside the table. Then I realize the blade is too hard (or perhaps have not well hitted through) to do it. 

Two months ago I took out my Power Drive AN bought 20 years ago with two old T05 and T64. I found it good for control and especially playing against amaturer player which I can develop my wrist work and power. But the looping goes down significantly.

The other one that I am using is Kong Linghui Special, with Globe 999 on forehand and T05FX on backhand. It works reasonably ok, and I get everything ok, except the speed on forehand is low (Globe 999) and the ball does not have much WEIGHT and POWER (it is fast, but not much power, probably also to do with the FX sponge with the T05 top sheet). 

As a result, I was thinkng if a T05 + T64 works fine with Korbel, which maybe something in between Power Drive AN and TBS?

I have tried m yTBS with my coach, looping and smashing are all godo and powerful, but when it comes to play game, I need to soften myself a lot against other which my touch will be affected - i.e. I can get power into the ball but just hit the ball on the surface, which I think it will hurt my skill in a long run, at least at this stage. 

Any thoughts?

Antony View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:30am
what is AL stands for?

kurokami: Is Oh Sang Eun Using Korbel instead of Oh Sang Eun?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Antony Antony wrote:

what is AL stands for?

]

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=b-innerforce-al

You could try T05-fX instead.

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 1:43am
Or just try brushing more so more of the stroke is converted to top spin instead of speed.

Goodah_Chunky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 9:15pm
Antony,

If you want more 'wood' feel, then go for the Innerforce ZLF...  It might give you that good feel for soft/short strokes and spinny/looping strokes but will provide the extra oomph for your power shots...
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2013 at 10:33pm
If it's not necessarly Butterfly you can try:

Tibhar Samsonov Stratus CB
Nittaku Redshank or Greenshank
TSP Black Blizzard Carbon
Nexy Calix
Adidas Avenger Carbon

All are more or less similar to TBS but less power and loger dwell-time. All of them have the carbon layer coming as 3rd ply close to the core like Innerforce blades. 

Edited by ttping85 - 07/08/2013 at 10:34pm
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 2:06am
Andro Treiber K is also an option

Or some Hayabusa to your liking

PS. Tried again Hayabusa ZXi with T05 and Vega Pro - couldn't go wrong with it. Embarrassed

Edited by Imago - 07/09/2013 at 6:42am
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 7:53am
Similar and softer and slower can only be the Michael maze? Or am i missing something? All zlfs, als, innerforces will never be as similar to tbs as another alc balde...
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Andro Treiber K is also an option

Or some Hayabusa to your liking

PS. Tried again Hayabusa ZXi with T05 and Vega Pro - couldn't go wrong with it. Embarrassed

Personally I found that Treiber K and Hayabusa ZXi are very good blades but actually more powerful than TBS according to me. For less power I would go for Z+ or Zi in the Hayabusa series or for Treiber G in the Andro blades. Treiber G being much closer to TBS characteristics than the Hayabusa blades which are thicker and stiffer.  

My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 8:18am
Originally posted by rui pedro81 rui pedro81 wrote:

Similar and softer and slower can only be the Michael maze? Or am i missing something? All zlfs, als, innerforces will never be as similar to tbs as another alc balde...

Within BTY definitely the best option according to me as well!!! Thumbs Up
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:11am

Except the part where MM is harder and faster.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Except the part where MM is harder and faster.

Well this is really a matter of feel. 50% of people I know feel the same as you and other 50% feel same as rui pedro81. It can also depend on the batch, the weight and the way you hit the ball...

Personally I find the MM harder and slower on flat hitting, softer and slower on opening loops and softer and faster at mid-distance. Of course I can't say this is the objective truth about it because everybody has a different feel, a different playing style and also a different way to hit the ball. But I must say that I tried at least 5 different TBS and 5 different MM to make this personal opinion. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:42am
I've had 2 Mazes and many more TBSs. One maze was harder, one softer. One of the TBS was a crazy dwelly black tag - softest of the lot.

Bottom line - you could get a softer MM if you're prepared to shop around a bit. But they are all very close in speed in the end. If you want to feel a definite difference, best to try a different construction. IF ZLF (or Liu Shiwen) is a great shout. Fantastic blade, and the answer for me when looking for a softer, slightly slower TBS.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:50am
IF ZLF's speed depends A LOT on the weight because its has no carbon. I had one 82gr which was clearly looping blade softer and slower than TBS. I had another one 90gr which was faster than TBS almost as fast IF ZLC. I had Liu Shiwen 86gr which was somehow in between. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

IF ZLF's speed depends A LOT on the weight because its has no carbon. I had one 82gr which was clearly looping blade softer and slower than TBS. I had another one 90gr which was faster than TBS almost as fast IF ZLC. I had Liu Shiwen 86gr which was somehow in between. 

I defer to your experience here. I've had 2 Liu Shiwen blades, but both were 86g, and both were great. Woody feel might not be what the OP wants though...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 9:59am
yes ZLF blades have much more woody feel and are less crispy than TBS. 
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 3:26pm
Tbs has koto outer ply which is hard and fast whereas Michael maze has limba which is soft and slow(er) so i cant really understand how someone could feel the Mm hard and faster... But Ok :)
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 4:54pm
I have the chance to play donic Persson carbotec , great looping blade similar to tbs / tb alc but less power more control better handle , you will able to change BH to fh in a breeze. If you want the power of tbs and the feel of rosewood and the crispness of Mickael maze this the blade you should try. Active blocking is like a swedish style amazing and it only costs 60 usd!!! 1/4 of innerforce zlc and far better. Note that it has koto outer and Kiri inner just like butterfly blades and the handle finish is top notch not like more expensive stigas with that hollow carton feel, and has a great balance.A Must try.
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
jatienza930 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Antony Antony wrote:

I am currently using TBS. It gives good power and looping angle but I would like to have something softer.

I am looking for a Butterfly blade that gives similar touch, but with lesser power output so that I can better control it.

Any tips?

Peter Korbel?

Michael Maze Thumbs Up
BTY TBS FL
T05
T64

My Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56638&KW=jen&title=jatienza930-buy-sell-feedback
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2013 at 5:20pm
Limba is a softer wood than Koto; however, the advantage of Limba over Koto is, the plies can be varied in thickness and the thicker a Limba ply is; the more inherent power there will be within that ply.

Having played a lot with both the TBS and Michael Maze; I can confirm that the Michael Maze has more inherent power when you hit harder shots and it has a higher top speed too.

Edited by Peter C - 07/09/2013 at 5:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic