Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Is there such a thing as too much Limba?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2013 at 9:23pm
nice
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Sponsored Links

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2013 at 4:38pm
Ross provided me with a unique opportunity to test one of his all-limba 5-ply blades, for which I'm very thankful of course.
The blade was (no surprise) beautifully crafted, weighed just north of 90g (92-93g) with about 5 1/2mm thickness. The balance of the blade felt great - not too head heavy.
I tested this blade with Tenergy 05 on both sides.
My immediate impression was a great feel - similar to what you'd find in high-quality Stiga limba blades from the 70's and 80's... but just a touch more 'crisp' and perhaps a bit faster. Not much though, and as the Stiga blades from that era varied so much in thickness, that's probably a useless comment anyway.
The feel and sense of control of Ross' all-limba blade is awesome though. I would say speed-wise, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of a Petr Korbel f. ex., but with a bit more "natural feel" (I know that's subjective nonsense, but I don't know how else to describe it).
Overall, if you like all-wood blades, especially in the All+ to OFF- category, then this concept of all-limba could really be something for you to look into.
Also, if you enjoy that nice "dung"-sound that limba wood provides when you hit the ball (as opposed to harder wood, and especially composites', higher pitched sounds), then this 5-ply limba blade will be music to your ears.

Thanks again, Ross, for letting me try this out - and I apologize for taking so long before posting my review.

Edited by Pondus - 10/22/2013 at 5:03pm
caidtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caidtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2013 at 7:43am
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Sorry but the trail of the too much limba blade has come to an end...I am currently using another custom made blade and i don't have a tournament back up blade...I received the blade 2 days ago and had the chance to play a couple of times with it...after the first trial i knew it would be hard to let go of it...
It is one of those rare blades that i could just pick up at any time and i could play without needing time to get used to it.
The handle is nice, a bit glossy for me but that is ok...since it is not slippery.
Head shape is right on, for flex and feel...and it does not feel heavy or too head heavy even at 94 grams.
Before the speed glue ban i used Avalox BT550, BT555, P500 and the last batch of Butterfly Powerdrive from the 90s that had the misspelling word swining in the text...a very soft off- high throw blade.
Well, with the speed glue ban...i started using old clippers from the 80s with 7 layers of limba and liked the feel of limba....
Ross' blade feels in between the Avalox feel and the Powerdrive feel...a bit more soft then the avalox but not as much as the Powerdrive...thus it is great for:
heavy serves,
heavy pushes,
heavy spin opening loops,
easier and spinier flips,
easier to lift underspin,
high control,
ability to hit sharper angles when looping
as you expect from a blade that is All+ to Off- and has a great dwell time...
I played with Tenergy 05/Baracuda and both worked though i liked the 05 feel better...i will have to try it with chinese on the forehand as well.  By the feel of the blade, i think it likes medium to medium-hard sponge rubbers.  So that works great for me.
I did not find anything wrong with the blade, but there could be a couple of things to make it ideal for me:
if the blade were to be only 10-20% faster it would likely be my playing blade instead of my back up.
and maybe...only maybe 5% stiffer so punching loops with more power would be easier and faster...
great job Ross from the 5 blades i tried from you this is the one i like the best, and sorry to Pondus...he will have to wait until another demo will go his way.
If you have a technical game, based on heavy spin, control and setting up your attack from the short game...and used to use old stiga ALL or Off blades you may want to look into trying this blade!

If you have a technical game, based on heavy spin, control and setting up your attack from the short game...and used to use old stiga ALL or Off blades you may want to look into trying this blade!
That's me, i think i might order 1
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2013 at 9:31am
hi ross do you already have a name for the limba blade that assidous tested?
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by mrdoodzki mrdoodzki wrote:

hi ross do you already have a name for the limba blade that assidous tested?

I haven't decided on one yet.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2013 at 2:35am
"Limba" itself is such a nice name. 

Since there is a lot of limba in the blade how about "Limbation" as long you do not find the pun with libation too boring.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2013 at 2:49am
Limber.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2013 at 5:22am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Limber.

LOL - excellent.

I was thinking of Limbalicious.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2013 at 7:33am
limbastic
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- DHS Hurricane 3

BH -- Japtec Experience

HAPPINESS is....sometimes no words, just the sound of a ball
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic