Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiball feeding tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiball feeding tips
    Posted: 10/15/2013 at 11:20am
Hello,

Would like some tips on how to properly feed multiballs in a training session. 
I was told always bounce the ball on the table before hitting it - as it simulates real game situation. 

Others suggestions and tips would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

I guess this is an extreme example

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 11:43am
It helps to have a bucket with very wide top because it is easier to pick up balls with left hand without looking.  Having it on a rolling platform is really helpful too.

Chinese coaches here sometimes bounce on table and sometimes don't depending on shots they are training.   For me it is harder to deliver a good ball without bouncing.  I am getting better with practice. Finding the perfect bucket helped a lot.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 12:37pm
that guy feeding the balls was really good. My son takes lessons every couple of weeks from a Chinese coach that is great at feeding multiball, but he usually stands on the side of the table and bounces the ball on the table first. I like the way this guy was standing behind the table and topspinning the balls out of his hand.
One thing my son's coach and I did add to the multiball session last time was for me to block my son's loop back so he could put it away. His coach would feed underspin balls from the side of the table to my son's BH for him to loop. I stood behind the table to block back his BH loop until he missed or looped a winner.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 12:43pm
bouncing the ball on the table before hitting it from right behind the net on the left side (for right handed feeders) is simply easier to learn; the feeder in the video above is showing absolute top class feeding in terms of tempo regularity. He is simply amazing.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:13pm
I got nervous just watching that video
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:16pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Rhythm and Tempo - that's what I am missing. I have difficulty maintaining a constant rhythm (this could be because I have box holding the balls on the table as opposed to off to the side of the table - as Baal suggested proper holder might help). 
Actually, watching the video again - I noticed, he's not actually looking at the ball as he is hitting it. (He is spectacular to watch - first time I watched the video it Zhang Jike - I saw...now I only see the feeder!).

Edited by jrscatman - 10/15/2013 at 1:18pm
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I got nervous just watching that video
LOLClap
It is intimidating!
Butterfly MPS
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:19pm
There is many ways to feed (bounce or not), and places to stand.
There is no right and wrong, or best or better, but depends what you want to achieve.

Bouncing the ball is slower though, so for fast frequencies, you won't see coaches bouncing.
Standing by net, half way, or end of the table also have different reasons.

At the end of the day, any body can become a good feeder.
watch and learn, and then feed few thousdan balls a day

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

There is no right and wrong, or best or better, but depends what you want to achieve.

Bouncing the ball is slower though, so for fast frequencies, you won't see coaches bouncing.

ZApenholder - Thanks,  
can you expand on the different reasons for standing halfway  or back of the table?
Butterfly MPS
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:35pm
Sure thing,
Obviously, closer towards the player, the ball will be coming faster, and focus more on footwork than oppose to stroke. There is more speed than oppose to spin generated from the feeder.

At back of the table, the ball takes longer to travel, and the arc is more "match like", and this is more realistic in terms of spin and speed but for top level players as this is both footwork and stroke. (Imagine a 10 - 20 ball rally being close to the table.)
Feeding from back of the table is also more tiring for the feeder.

The whole idea for us (non pros) is the feeding speed need to be faster than what we can handle, so it make us move and improves.

Imagine some one feed for you from far from the table, but does a bounce feed and low frequency. Your movement will be non existant, and the whole training will do more harm than good etc.

I will feed at the net for beginners and mostly it is mid to far for the rest.

Here is a mid and long video from my FB album with mortal players Wink
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205954799567750&set=vb.443481379036123&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205933749569855&set=vb.443481379036123&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:51pm

+1
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 2:11pm
I like it!! I think I will start to incorporate some more multiball into our practices.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 2:19pm
My main reference that made me want to learn feeding is that clip from coachtt123 (#36 video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu80P4MpF3c

The pro feeder and coach is at 2 min 20 sec:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu80P4MpF3c&feature=player_detailpage&t=139
This is how I do it: basin on the table and one bounce on my side.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 2:38pm
Not sure if it is just me but, i feel with Cpen it is easier to feed without bounce, while SH, I can feed with both bounce or no bounce.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 8:07pm
tony is correct. let me also add that no bounce feed can be used for sudden fast balls in a random bh-fh drillas it simulates the ball being countered close to the table. imo, feeding with bounce offers more control on your placement because you are using mostly your wrist but i find the no bounce feeding more spinny and faster if you are outside the table feeding on the other end
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2013 at 9:28am
Probably the most important feed to get good at first is the underspin feed and that is always a bounce feed. You want to try to keep the bounce as low as possible and still strike the ball. Allot of the sequences you see the pros do almost always start off with a underspin ball fed off the bounce and then topspin balls fed out of the hand. 
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2013 at 10:00am

Sure thing,
Obviously, closer towards the player, the ball will be coming faster, and focus more on footwork than oppose to stroke. There is more speed than oppose to spin generated from the feeder.

At back of the table, the ball takes longer to travel, and the arc is more "match like", and this is more realistic in terms of spin and speed but for top level players as this is both footwork and stroke. (Imagine a 10 - 20 ball rally being close to the table.)
Feeding from back of the table is also more tiring for the feeder.

The whole idea for us (non pros) is the feeding speed need to be faster than what we can handle, so it make us move and improves.

Imagine some one feed for you from far from the table, but does a bounce feed and low frequency. Your movement will be non existant, and the whole training will do more harm than good etc.

I will feed at the net for beginners and mostly it is mid to far for the rest.

Here is a mid and long video from my FB album with mortal players Wink
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205954799567750&set=vb.443481379036123&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=205933749569855&set=vb.443481379036123&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set
Thanks ZApenholder

Yes, my concern was grooving bad habits for beginners by feeding incorrectly.
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic