2 [15.38%]
4 [30.77%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balsa + Rubbers = Combiantion
    Posted: 01/28/2014 at 11:11am

What INVERTED rubber will you choose for BALSA blade ? What thickness ? What color ? Why ?

TACKY Top - HARD Sponge is my choice. Maybe on thinner side like 1.8mm in black color

Edited by melarimsa - 01/28/2014 at 11:13am
Sponsored Links

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2014 at 12:54pm
Currently I have H3 and 802-1 1.8mm on my BCX5.  People say H3 has a hard sponge but I don't think it is that hard.
On my 2 Firewall Plus blades I have T25.
The tacky and non-tacky thing is a non-issue.  It depends on what you like or if you care.   I don't seem to be as picky about what is on my FH as what is on my BH.
I don't think of balsa type of blades as looping blades but more for hitting close to the table.   Medium or hard, tacky or non-tacky are acceptable.   I generally don't like soft rubbers on my FH although I do have a Rakza 7 Soft Max but I only use it on my Samsonov Alphas.
Color doesn't make a difference.
I wish I could get a cheap DHS rubber in something thinner than 2.15mm.  I too think 1.8mm is thick enough if the rubber doesn't 'bottom out'.   Realistically,  even if the rubber does bottom out I am playing close to the table and usually making a flat hit where it doesn't matter if the rubber 'bottoms out'.  

The first question you should be asking is "am I a close to the table blocker-hitter?".   If so then a balsa blade could be right for you. 

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2014 at 5:41pm
For looping (for which balsa blades are no ideal), I'd choose a firm rubber and thick sponge, which basically masks the balsa effect, so that  the ball does not flatten out so much on hard loops.
For hitting/blocking, a very thin rubber tends to work quite well, something not too bouncy.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2014 at 1:35am
Barricade + Tenergy 05 is pretty good. Good speed and spin.
TSP balsa 2.5+/Baracuda = spinny and very fast. It is weird. It is way faster than Violin or Acoustic+Tenergy. I guess somehow the effect add on each other.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2014 at 10:42am
Balsa cores are generally sandwiched with very hard medium plies, making the outer one the main factor.

Borko: balsa-black walnut-?
Ross: balsa-ipe-?
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2014 at 10:40pm
Balsa core is good with H3 (tacky) topsheet.  Hard sponge is questionable and depends.  If you use balsa core all wood blade, then it's good to have hard sponge.  If you use carbon balsa core, you might want to use medium-hard sponge.

Why?  Just because I have used them both ways, and I like them equally.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Balsa core is good with H3 (tacky) topsheet. 
Did u feel that u lost some spin? I tried couple times. I always felt spin was decrease in both slow spiny  and power loops. I meant when comparing to typical Koto like HK or P500.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2014 at 12:45am

Balsa core is good with H3 (tacky) top sheet.
I agree but you have to be a close to the table hitter-blocker to appreciate it.

As stated above a balsa blade is not the best looping blade so don't bother if you loop and counter loop away from the table.   My TBS and Samsonov Alphas are better looping blades than my BCX5 but the BCX5 and cheap H3 #19 works well close to the table.   One can generate a lot of spin with H3 #19 but it takes more of a brushing stroke to do it.   What I like about H3 #19 is that I can trust it to grab the ball when I brush.

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2014 at 1:00am
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Did u feel that u lost some spin? I tried couple times. I always felt spin was decrease in both slow spiny  and power loops. I meant when comparing to typical Koto like HK or P500.

I thought the discussion is Balsa + Rubber and not Koto (HK or P500).  Smile

Anyhow, I understand what you are talking about.  However, it all depends on your stroke.  With H3, you can't force the power/stroke.  With H3, you need full stroke and good acceleration at the impact.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2014 at 5:01am

Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

I thought the discussion is Balsa + Rubber and not Koto (HK or P500).  Smile

Anyhow, I understand what you are talking about.  However, it all depends on your stroke.  With H3, you can't force the power/stroke.  With H3, you need full stroke and good acceleration at the impact.
would you consider MC1 a balsa blade?... anyhow, i believe you use to like this blade speedy? what was the rubber you used on it then? i use to play 729 focus 2 (FH) and 729-2(BH) on my MC1 and liked it alot. now i have Acuda S1T (FH) and TG3 (BH) on it (I know its odd). Anyway my point is i like playing with medium hard rubbers since the stroke i developed depended on these type of rubbers. So in relation to the topic. The answer depends on the user!?
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2014 at 5:25am
I know one very high level player who uses a black devil and roxon. He plays a smart blocking and longer range counter hitting game not unlike Waldner in later years. Personally I think hurricane two is the best match for offensive balsa blades, at least for close to the table pure offensive play
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2014 at 4:06pm
Thinking to try SPINART 1.9mm on balsa blade, but not sure yet. Thinking for Palio THOR'S but I do not like 2.3mm thickness, as I think it is too much ?
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

would you consider MC1 a balsa blade?
I would, it has a thick balse core though it does have some special cross glueing technology. A club mate plays quite well with; he is >1900. He uses T64 max on fh and some long pips ox on backhand.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2014 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Thinking to try SPINART 1.9mm on balsa blade, but not sure yet. Thinking for Palio THOR'S but I do not like 2.3mm thickness, as I think it is too much ?

Silly question since I have never tried playing with the rubber, but do all P.Thors have 2.3 sponges? I am now curious with how it plays...
PPisLife

Blade:TBS Rubber: Donic
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2014 at 1:01am
Palio Thors only comes in MAX thickness 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2014 at 2:31am
With H3/2, you need to brush if the sponge is more than 2.0 mm. Not so with 1.8 mm sponged H3/2 - they have a very decent bounce even when new.

The main problem with any Balsa blade is to dump the hollow feel, so any rubber that serves this purpose is good for it. For instance, Tibhar Chila blade goes very well with T05 1.7 mm.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2014 at 1:03pm
So far TACKY & HARD is winning the pool, but almost hardly any comment on thickenss ?
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by collins.latag collins.latag wrote:

would you consider MC1 a balsa blade?... anyhow, i believe you use to like this blade speedy? what was the rubber you used on it then? i use to play 729 focus 2 (FH) and 729-2(BH) on my MC1 and liked it alot. now i have Acuda S1T (FH) and TG3 (BH) on it (I know its odd). Anyway my point is i like playing with medium hard rubbers since the stroke i developed depended on these type of rubbers. So in relation to the topic. The answer depends on the user!?

MC1 is a good blade, but it's different type of Balsa core structure.  It's very similar to Hunter X-Carbon.  They play different than a normal balsa core blades.  Yes, I used that blade before and liked it a lot.  I have tried many balsa core blades.  I think I will order a custom made balsa core blade that fit my game.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2014 at 2:11pm
I ordered Re Impact blade, and waiting for it. Searching for MEDIUM-HARD Tacky rubbers. Thinking: Spinart 1.7mm or Hurricane 3 1.8mm. Was thinking about Thors, but I do not like MAX thickness at all ! Still in search
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2014 at 6:16pm
I own and tried quite a few different balsa blades. The best so far for me is the Hallmark Carbon Extreme which is softer and more flexible compared to the similar (but still bigger) T-11,lighter and more flexible than Bty X5, slower and more flexible than the MC-1.......and although (my experience) it is one of the softest and most flexible of the balsa blades, it plays much better with medium soft rubbers-tacky and non tacky.
BTW, I had a Cayman, TSP Balsa Fitter 6.5, D'r N Bulldog....
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic