Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Petr Korbel FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Petr Korbel FL
    Posted: 03/08/2014 at 1:40am
Hi,

I recently ordered a Korbel from aliexpress. Priced at $25 incl. shipping there should be no doubt it is fake and was fully aware of that. I actually was kind of curious how the fake looks like.  However, I was actually impressed with how "authentic" it looks. For untrained eyes and non-EJs, it could pass as a legit butterfly product. 

So be careful with what you buy.

The first thing that I noticed was the finishing. It was fairly rough and the type you would expect from Stiga. The wings definitely need same sand job. 

Second thing, the "brown" color has a lighter shade and the wood quality was quite off. It is quite apparent that the top veneer was much less "grainy" if you will. I, admit, I can't say if the plies are the same as the original.

I haven't played with it, yet and I don't even think I could judge how well it plays compared to the original. I am not that big of a EJ.

But anyway, see by yourself.

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 03/08/2014 at 1:48am
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
Sponsored Links

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 2:10am
the brown color handle is a dead give away
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 2:14am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

the brown color handle is a dead give away

yea, it is quite obvious for people that know what to look for. But I doubt a beginner or someone unfamiliar with Korbel would have guessed. It's kinda a well-made fake to be honestConfused
bty petr korbel st
Feedback me
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 2:33am
I agree, for beginners, this blade would be hard to spot.  Typical areas to spot for fake Butterfly are:

1. handle color variations.  Authentic - light.  Counterfeit - Darker color
2. shoulders.  Authentic - shoulders are just "right".  Counterfeit - shoulders a lot narrow when it meets the handle.
3. Finishing.  Authentic - smooth.  Counterfeit - rough, especially around the handle
4. Plies.  Authentic - plies are clearly shown.  Counterfeit - plies are all jumbled up.
5. Serial #on box.  Authentic - w/ serial.  Counterfeit - w/o serial
6. JTTAA letterings.  Authentic - black and stands out from the plies in the background.  Counterfeit - lettering slightly faded, colors of the letters are the same as the ply colors.
7. Weight.  Authentic - usually fall between the average weight.  Counterfeit - most if not all counterfeits are significantly heavier by at least 10 grams on average
8. Bounce test - grab a real one and compare the bounce, frequency, and feel of the purchased one.

Perhaps we should get the mod to put this guideline up to help the rest of the buyers/sellers.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 4:19am
It doesn't look much like a real Korbel really, I don't think the wings on a Korbel look like that. It doesn't even seem to have a limba second ply (looks like Koto) hard to tell from the blury picture. I doubt the middle ply is Ayous either, likely Kiri so it probably plays like the typical $10 Chinese blade. In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's a Yinhe 896 and came out of the yinhe factory

Edited by bluebucket - 03/08/2014 at 4:22am
ansonlau3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansonlau3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 7:21am
personally, you should not go to buy any equipment from Ali.. Many China store are selling fake items. They can make the items which is very very similar. China copy skills are very good. ;)
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by ansonlau3 ansonlau3 wrote:

personally, you should not go to buy any equipment from Ali.. Many China store are selling fake items. They can make the items which is very very similar. China copy skills are very good. ;)

Yes, they can copy (good) but the buyer already knew it is a fake when he bought it and did not expect a legit Korbel
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 8:05am
To me looks better than the original Korbel - brown color is just perfect, and probably plays much better than the 75g European korbels.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 9:11am
One of the great unexplained mysteries of the world.

How do Butterfly build two "identical blades" one in Europe at 75grams and the same blade in Japan between 93 and 100 grams
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 9:12am
Euro Korbels are usually quite heavier than japanese
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 9:16am
Schizophrenic split?

Out of curiosity, which blade does Korbel play with?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 10:21am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I think you got that backwards.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 11:40am
the plies of the handle and neck area or wings are usually couple of the clues telling me that this blade is not genuine.
Euro's Korbel doesn't have that "Made in Japan" label on the lens insert.
We all should do our best to avoid these "Fakes" or counterfeits circulating around within our mytabletennis community.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

It doesn't look much like a real Korbel really, I don't think the wings on a Korbel look like that. It doesn't even seem to have a limba second ply (looks like Koto) hard to tell from the blury picture. I doubt the middle ply is Ayous either, likely Kiri so it probably plays like the typical $10 Chinese blade. In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest it's a Yinhe 896 and came out of the yinhe factory

aaw man, that's a bummer. i was hoping it to be an exact clone so it would be at least worth to put good rubbers on it. but if it doesn't play like a korbel at all, i just wasted $25 bucks!! lmaoShocked
bty petr korbel st
Feedback me
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:01am
Well you have a real one, rubber it up and you tell us
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 3:57am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

fwiw, I've bought two new Korbels. the euro one was approx 90 gram and the Japanese one was 82. both ST handle
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 11:34am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

fwiw, I've bought two new Korbels. the euro one was approx 90 gram and the Japanese one was 82. both ST handle

Ok, good to know. Now I have a source for two Korbels. Thanks !!

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 11:41am

Ok, good to know. Now I have a source for two Korbels. Thanks !!
 Smile sold the euro one but still have the other
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:57pm
the handle of Euro PKorbel looks better than the OP's faked one....

Also look @ the neck/wings area. The difference is so obvious.

Edited by tiehwen - 03/09/2014 at 1:05pm
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:15pm
Spot the huge differences in appearance?

Edited by tiehwen - 03/09/2014 at 1:28pm
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:22pm
The real question is whether the fake plays better than the real.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:23pm
hey, wanna trade ?

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:27pm
lol...
Seasoned for years, Used for coaching tons of kids, beat up, mucked up & chewed up Euro PK ST yet it has Fish-scaled top ply & it should fetch you, John, GOOD $$$$$....Clap
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 4:10pm
The people who manufacture fakes and sell them for profit are criminals and should be prosecuted accordingly! Any table tennis shop that sells those fakes and knows they are fakes should be prosecuted.

There is no defense. It's a scam to all honest people around the world. There is NO defense!!

All sources need to be identified and reported here to help members make a secure purchase.

These manufacturers of these fake blades need to be put out of business ASAP if possible.

Economic vampires and thugs that make me mad as hell. If there is any doubt as to authenticity...Don't Buy It!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 4:28pm
@frogger...
wow..pretty tough talk there as I thought I was 1 of the few who really resent these Fakes manufacturers very much.
Similarly we should also condemn those used equipment Resellers who knowingly mislead others and resell their fakes/counterfeits to others here or anywhere for profit.
One classic line they use regularly is this.....
"This or that is Fake or Counterfeit so you guys know, if/but you or anyone want(s) it I can sell it for 50 USD shipped...."
Just like they know it is WRONG to steal BUT someone else has done it & got away with it, so they can do it too..."
Their morality value/level is NONE as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by tiehwen - 03/09/2014 at 4:29pm
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 4:40pm
If it is a known fake and the dealer advertises it as being a fake at a much lower cost I have no problem with that.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 4:59pm
then you're opening a can of worms & encourage selling, dealing with resellers/scammers who might have stockpile of fakes & counterfeits. It won't be long before this place, mytabletennis.net, will be bloating with knock-offs, fakes & what-have-you...
Might as well save you precious time & you should go right onto taobao or aliexpress right freaking now...LOL
why wait?

Edited by tiehwen - 03/09/2014 at 5:02pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

then you're opening a can of worms & encourage selling, dealing with resellers/scammers who might have stockpile of fakes & counterfeits. It won't be long before this place, mytabletennis.net, will be bloating with knock-offs, fakes & what-have-you...
Might as well save you precious time & you should go right onto taobao or aliexpress right freaking now...LOL
why wait?

I, for one, was just curious how well the fake is made. And maybe even considered having it as a backup if it was close to the original one. I knew it was fake and I bought out of curiosity. And even if I go ahead and resell it, it's not with the intention of scam anyone or make some dough. 

Manufacturers like Yinhe, HRT and Sword make clones of DHS, Stiga and Butterfly all the time. 

I do agree that selling a fake/counterfeit and claiming it is a real deal is wrong and not tolerable. But reselling obvious fakes, with clear info about it beforehand, to other interested parties who just want to try it out is not a sin, though.
bty petr korbel st
Feedback me
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:42pm
I had european 76gr FL corbel. It played pretty well. After it broke, I couldn't find new one to buy again, so I buy chinese copy from ali, same like one in topic. It looks like kids from elementary school made it :) Even has title 'Primorac carTon' (with T) instead of 'Petr Korbel'. Many differences to original one, head shape, handle shape, blade length, neck shape, width... plays very bad, not close to real one. I tried to twist it little bit around axis to check flex, and heard cracking noises :)
Wasting money and time, not worth even 3$, delivery is very slow also.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2014 at 11:11pm

I remembered the 90 gram blade I was thinking of was a Primorac (OFF-).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic