Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poly Ball - Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poly Ball - Pros and Cons
    Posted: 04/09/2014 at 3:09pm
The Poly ball is nearly here. What do you think the pros and cons are of having a Poly ball in the sport? This can be related to playing, or the infrastructure changes it ushers in (manufacture, shipping, storage, costs, etc).
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 3:22pm
I bring this up because most discussions about the Poly ball just regress to moaning about Sharara's behaviour right back at the initial announcement stage. People are angry about Sharara's slipshod approach with explaining the reasoning, so they won't accept a positive evaluation of any single aspect of the poly ball. It's a touchy subject, but it shouldn't be. We should be able to have an objective discussion about the pros and cons of a poly ball.

Pros:

Plastic ball will no longer be treated as hazardous for shipping/storage purposes.
Plastic production is worldwide, celluloid production is niche and is only undertaken in a few remaining factories. Eggs shouldn't be in few baskets.
Lower spin/speed. Shallower learning curve for beginners. Longer rallies - better for casual spectators (and people who like longer rallies in general I suppose).

Cons:

Lower spin/speed. Dumbing down the game.
Will differences in playing behaviour between brands be wider for poly than it is for celluloid currently? (Especially considering seamed/seamless)
Ball costs.
Durability concerns - breaking and wearing down to a smooth texture.
Nasty sound.

Note that I don't consider Sharara's comments about an impeding celluloid ban as a Con of the ball. It's not the ball's fault that he's a dodgy sleezeball.

Edited by AndySmith - 04/09/2014 at 4:53pm
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:06pm
Hard for most of us to evaluate, since we haven't even played with the "approved" balls yet.  For some I'm sure any decrease in spin/speed will be met with moaning and calls for the old ball to return.   So hear goes...

Pros:  

May slow down and bounce a little higher.  
May be easier to "hit" through spin, both top and chop if there is less spin.

Cons:  

Balls may break more often, and will cost more (both remain to be determined)
Especially initially there will be major difference in the different brands of balls.
There will be differences in different batches of balls from at least some of the manufacturers.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:14pm
Yeah. As I wrote the list, I knew that many of the points about playing properties are just speculation. I've used the first Palio seamless balls, but things have moved on since then. I don't like the idea of a mix of seamed and seamless - with any team you visit able to pick and choose a different one. I hope that the local committees will enforce one type or the other eventually, even if the ITTF don't.

One thing I'm sure about though - the change in material from celluloid to conventional plastic is a good thing. If the playing properties remain similar.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:26pm
I suspect there will be a new ball bouncing on table sound to tune into.

Apparently they can sound like a broken ball, so we will also have to learn to recognise the broken poly ball sound...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:43pm
If the new balls always sound cracked, I wonder how we'll determine if a ball becomes cracked mid game..hopefully there would be a difference

Edited by davidwhang - 04/09/2014 at 4:46pm
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:51pm
The trend towards the seamed poly ball seems clear at this point  so I don't  expect much confusion from clubs and associations regarding which ball might be used in various official events  going forward  as the  seamed poly ball looks to dominate what one considers higher level TT.  The manufactures have spoken rather loudly that the seamed ball is the best choice at this time.  Its interesting that only two TT manufacturing companies are willing to distribute the seamless ball but that may change.

ITTF approved plastic balls. 

With seam:

andro 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

DHS 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Donic 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Double Fish 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Giant Dragon 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Nittaku Premium 40+*** (plastic with seam) 

Nittaku SHA 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

Stiga Optimum 40+*** (Plastic with seam) 

=================================

Seamless:

Palio*** (plastic seamless) 

Xushaofa*** (plastic seamless) 

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

If the new balls always sound cracked, I wonder how we'll determine if a ball becomes cracked mid game..hopefully there would be a difference

This is with a prototype ball along time ago but William Henzell here had no problem identifying the broken ball saying it sounded even more broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzo-PmL8IjA#t=2m55s

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 4:58pm
Good points Andy......It will be interesting too see how well this all plays out and what we think after 3-6 months of using the new balls.   I shall reserve my opinions till then.  

This reminds me of all the hub-bub with the smart phone industry and the opinions all over the net. 

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 5:01pm
I forgot about the nasty sound. It is particularly awful, but you'd get used to it. Maybe they sound like celluloid balls when they're broken? :-)

The ball list looks good - all the main companies have gone with a seam. I wouldn't put it past some clubs to use the seamless ball tactically. Or just for a laugh. I'd prefer a consistent approach, but it remains to be seen how different seamed and seamless are.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:50pm
Bearing in mind that ITTF events will be using the seamed poly ball to start with; it makes sense for shops to stock the seamed poly balls, to sell to the public.

Until I've had a chance to play with the poly ball; I'll reserve my judgement.

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

One thing I'm sure about though - the change in material from celluloid to conventional plastic is a good thing. If the playing properties remain similar.

Before we debate the pros and cons of the new plastic ball any further, I have a nagging suspicion that the new 2-pc. balls still use very similar materials to the old one, just that they are bigger now.

Someone needs to buy 100 of the new 2-pc. balls and burn them side-by-side of 100 current balls with the exact same methods.  I am willing to bet they burn at exactly the same rate of combustion!!!  Wink Wink Wink

Edited by roundrobin - 04/09/2014 at 7:50pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:06pm
Pros, 
good for my smacking type flat hit forehand

Cons
 bad for my long pips backhand
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
runeazn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runeazn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:52pm
The higher bounce is pretty noticeable and it works in my favor too :P
we started playing with these balls ages ago. Just play a few months and you'll get accustomed
Blade: Virtuoso

Red: xiom Japan
Black: Nittaku DHS H3
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 8:25pm
One of my biggest concern will be the cost, once the ITTF approved ones hit the market, as I expect them to be significantly more expensive.
Most clubs will likely have little choice to change over the them (eventually), and many clubs struggle for funds already. If they are less durable as well (which some preliminary tests of samples seemed to reveal) this will result in even higher costs.
The only offset will be that they're cheaper to ship since they're no longer regarded as flammable... it might take the shipping countries around the world a while to catch up to this though.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 9:33pm
The best explicit PROS, you can now see on taobao market righ now.

Celluloid price is now dropping dramatically, 30 -50% discount for DHS brand.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

The best explicit PROS, you can now see on taobao market righ now.

Celluloid price is now dropping dramatically, 30 -50% discount for DHS brand.

Any links for cheap DHS balls? I bet cheap balls are all fakes. In fact I see a price rise of 20 to 30% with everything DHS starting this month. I have an order of rubbers with old price but got cancelled.

When will the ittf approved balls be released to the public? No interest in trying those prototype balls on the market now.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 6:11pm
Cons - I brought a stack of quality celluloid balls that I thought would last me ages...

I think I'll be changing my balls more frequently to use them up...
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 9:05pm

Pros:

Plastic production is worldwide, celluloid production is niche and is only undertaken in a few remaining factories. Eggs shouldn't be in few baskets.

Not really a pro.  In the near term, there will be fewer individual makers.  It seems likely that many of the new balls are simply re-brands from other makers.   Will this be a permanent shift in diversity? Hard to say. 

If there really was a problem with celluloid production (not enough baskets) , wouldn't we expect ball manufacturers (who also make other TT equipment) to be able to recognize this and to take the necessary steps on their own?  Why would we think they'd be unable to manage ball production (which is at the core of their business) wisely?  Why would we think the ITTF knows best in this area? 

The notion of potential shortages is pretty much bogus.  You should remove this item from "pro."

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Before we debate the pros and cons of the new plastic ball any further, I have a nagging suspicion that the new 2-pc. balls still use very similar materials to the old one, just that they are bigger now.

Someone needs to buy 100 of the new 2-pc. balls and burn them side-by-side of 100 current balls with the exact same methods.  I am willing to bet they burn at exactly the same rate of combustion!!!  Wink Wink Wink

All you need to do is break one open and smell.  If you don't smell the camphor, then there is almost surely very little celluloid in it.

Edited by wturber - 04/10/2014 at 9:19pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

The only offset will be that they're cheaper to ship since they're no longer regarded as flammable... it might take the shipping countries around the world a while to catch up to this though.

Training balls are inexpensive and shipping must be a small fraction of their cost. Any reduction in shipping costs should be invisible to the end user.  In fact. if air shipping is more easily obtained, then shipping costs may go up as buyers and sellers choose air delivery for its speed and convenience.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Training balls are inexpensive and shipping must be a small fraction of their cost. Any reduction in shipping costs should be invisible to the end user.  In fact. if air shipping is more easily obtained, then shipping costs may go up as buyers and sellers choose air delivery for its speed and convenience.

not really true for bulk, for example I could get an order for 40 table tennis tables and ask for a few boxs of balls to go on top, at the moment this is a hugh problem as that simple act will make the contaner hazardous and costing much more, So as long as shipping / freight and the like know about any new regulations (in theory these companies should already have some information going to them) but who knows
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

not really true for bulk, for example I could get an order for 40 table tennis tables and ask for a few boxs of balls to go on top, at the moment this is a hugh problem as that simple act will make the contaner h<span style="line-height: 1.4;">azardous and costing much more, So as long as shipping / freight and the like know about any new regulations (in theory these companies should already have some information going to them) but who knows</span>

Oh please. That some special case doesn't allow a wholesaler to save a little money on shipping doesn't change the fact that training balls can be had for 25 cents a ball or less in bulk. Shipping must be some small fraction of that. Even if we assume that shipping averages 5 cents per ball, that is an insignificant fraction of the typical $1.25-$2.50 that is commonly paid for top quality 3* balls.

Any savings in shipping (maybe a penny or two per ball at best) will be invisible for the vast majority of 3* ball purchases.

Listing shipping savings for the new ball makes about as much sense as touting the inherent biodegradability (it's mostly cellulose) of the celluloid ball as being a significant benefit that is being lost. It's just trivia.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 1:25am
just saying i could save $80.00NZ per box , so thats not too much trivia, edit after working it out around 50cents nz a pack lol    or $400Nz for 5 boxs, so lots of pennys to be shared if considered non hazardous

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 10:08am
ANDRO PB TESTING.

CONTRAS:   I am all unhappy about the sound.
Ear wearing, the ball certainly needs ear plugs to be used all the time you play.

On the trial play, the Hexer rubber does not match properly.
according to Chinese testers topsheet of natural rubber will go best with PB.   
Using syntetic materials will deny you control of the ball.

http://youtu.be/9naWVczs4c8
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 11:01am
ball is fine. I just hope its affordable and durable. 

NOISE IS NOT LIKE A BROKEN BALL! Some people are musically dead and can't tell the difference between close tones. If you can't tell the difference between two adjacent strings on the guitar, no, you don't know what the ball sounds like. There is no way you can create this sound with the old celluloid ball.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 9:58am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTC3RaHN4tc

Edited by CraneStyle - 04/13/2014 at 5:48pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 6:26pm

just saying i could save $80.00NZ per box , so thats not too much trivia, edit after working it out around 50cents nz a pack lol    or $400Nz for 5 boxs, so lots of pennys to be shared if considered non hazardous

I can buy bulk 2* training balls from ZeroPong for 29 cents NZ.  That works out to 87 cents for three balls.  I'd be surprised to find that 57% of the cost of training balls is the shipping.  But lets assume that the real cost is 50 cents NZ per pack (I'm assuming a 3 pack).  That works out to 17 cents NZ  for a ball that typically costs a around $1.17 NZ (converting from typical $1 US per ball cost).  That's still a relatively small proportion. And the reality is that most suppliers probably don't get to essentially save all of their shipping costs by including balls with shipments of 40 tables.  So this is a best case scenario, not a typical one.

I wager than any benefit from (occasional) reduced shipping costs will be essentially invisible to the end user.

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I can buy bulk 2* training balls from ZeroPong for 29 cents NZ.  That works out to 87 cents for three balls.  I'd be surprised to find that 57% of the cost of training balls is the shipping.  But lets assume that the real cost is 50 cents NZ per pack (I'm assuming a 3 pack).  That works out to 17 cents NZ  for a ball that typically costs a around $1.17 NZ (converting from typical $1 US per ball cost).  That's still a relatively small proportion. And the reality is that most suppliers probably don't get to essentially save all of their shipping costs by including balls with shipments of 40 tables.  So this is a best case scenario, not a typical one.

I wager than any benefit from (occasional) reduced shipping costs will be essentially invisible to the end user.

yes you know and I don't...  so a pro for me and a non issue for you
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 8:07am
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=601717429907079&id=100131830065644&refid=17

http://tabletennista.com/2014/4/ovtcharov-i-think-table-tennis-will-change/

DIMA utterly enthusiastic of the plastic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic