FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

XVT - Chinese knockoffs or OEM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XVT - Chinese knockoffs or OEM?
    Posted: 07/13/2014 at 12:50pm
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
Sponsored Links

Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 5:10pm
I bought a fake Viscaria from that site and it looked like the real one except on the b/h plastic insert it read Buterfly and it was thicker by .030, but it actually played descent.
Shifter
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 7:16pm
Obviously not OEM - firstly the Butterfly and Stiga blades shown are made in Japan and Sweden respectively. Secondly, price wise is a give away.

Just remember, though it may look like the real thing, it most probably doesn't play like the real thing. I suppose it could be fun for novelty but I still wouldn't buy them. Everytime you buy a counterfeit goods, know well you could be supporting organised crime or someone who has little regards for others.
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

Obviously not OEM - firstly the Butterfly and Stiga blades shown are made in Japan and Sweden respectively. Secondly, price wise is a give away.

Just remember, though it may look like the real thing, it most probably doesn't play like the real thing. I suppose it could be fun for novelty but I still wouldn't buy them. Everytime you buy a counterfeit goods, know well you could be supporting organised crime or someone who has little regards for others.

u sure? bc last time that taobao seller with the w series ma long blades (i didn't buy)- those were XVT made.
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

u sure? bc last time that taobao seller with the w series ma long blades (i didn't buy)- those were XVT made.

@kurokami,

Sure of what?

Sure of XVT don't make the Butterfly and Stiga blades shown in those photos?

Or sure of buying counterfeit goods could be supporting organised crime or someone who has little regards for others?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 8:45pm
They look like galaxy to me.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 8:57pm
Okay I need someone to define OEM for me. Thx
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 9:22pm
Original Equipment Manufacturer.

jfolsen
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 9:35pm
XVT looks to be a brand run/owned? by former CNT player Xi Enting, like the brand XuShaoFa.

Woodhouse is perhaps the most prominent OEM.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 9:51pm
The XVT now has new owner who has well experience on sale and marketing for TT equipment. The new owner (who is my friend) has committed for better blade fabrication / quality control with affordable price. I would expect to see significant growth for this brand in next few years.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2014 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by achoomai achoomai wrote:

The XVT now has new owner who has well experience on sale and marketing for TT equipment. The new owner (who is my friend) has committed for better blade fabrication / quality control with affordable price. I would expect to see significant growth for this brand in next few years.

OK, that's nice.

And I hope they will come up with unique prints, instead of using something very similar to what's out there. They need to establish their own identity, which I am sure your friend with marketing background would know.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 12:10am
Yes , they are moving forward to the new & unique design. You can see the blade like TWO FACES which also nice.

My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 5:00am
Beautiful capitalism in action - businessmen fight each other and consumers profit. 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 6:44am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

XVT looks to be a brand run/owned? by former CNT player Xi Enting, like the brand XuShaoFa.

Looks more like Sanwei material.
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 6:51am

I wouldn't classify these blades as counterfeit because XVT didn't try to make you believe that they are Butterfly/Stiga blades.  They *borrow* the graphics to indicate that they use similar materials/construction/technology as the original, suggesting that they play/look/feel similar to the original.  If they were true counterfeits, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from the original.  For example, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Butterfly-VISCARIA-FL-Table-Tennis-Blades-TABLE-TENNIS-RACKET-FL-LONG-HANDLE-Table-Tennis/1376950762.html is a counterfeit.  The vendor IS trying to make you believe it's the genuine article.  The vendor for the XVT blades doesn't.

XVT claims to have been making table tennis blades for 20 years but their brand is unknown so they must be an OEM for someone.

Edited by GMan4911 - 07/14/2014 at 6:57am
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

I wouldn't classify these blades as counterfeit because XVT didn't try to make you believe that they are Butterfly/Stiga blades.  They *borrow* the graphics to indicate that they use similar materials/construction/technology as the original, suggesting that they play/look/feel similar to the original.  If they were true counterfeits, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from the original.  For example, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Butterfly-VISCARIA-FL-Table-Tennis-Blades-TABLE-TENNIS-RACKET-FL-LONG-HANDLE-Table-Tennis/1376950762.html is a counterfeit.  The vendor IS trying to make you believe it's the genuine article.  The vendor for the XVT blades doesn't.

Ok, it is not counterfeiting then. Cloning is a better word.

What makes you think they are an OEM? Don't forget, the market in China is MASSIVE - a billion+ people!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Beautiful capitalism in action - businessmen fight each other and consumers profit. 
Oh hell no mate.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 12:19pm

Maybe he will come up with some ideas of his own instead of making cheap knockoffs because this kind of behavior is pretty reprehensible.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 12:45pm
So , would you complain Yinhe as well since they also make a lot of clone blades (even they have some own design blade) ?
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 12:55pm
really, im surprised butterfly doesn't trademark their fonts and material names.  maybe they do but noone cares
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 1:09pm
For material , it's commonly used. For example , I think Zylon also used in some Nittaku blade.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 2:30pm

So , would you complain Yinhe as well since they also make a lot of clone blades (even they have some own design blade) ?

I have many times.  I think they also suck for doing this. Because of this practice, I would never buy anything made by Yinhe. But what you friend is doing is even more egregious in terms of even stealing some of the symbols on the blades (like the dragon on the ZJK clone and the Timo Boll logo on that clone) just to make it perfectly clear to everyone what he is shamelessly copying.  He must be working in a country where there is no such thing as copyright or patent infringement. 

By the way, Yinhe does make a few of their own novel blades as you note (although to the best of my knowledge few if any profesional players use them). 

Your friend should come up with his own innovative blades if he wants to be taken seriously. (That is how he will make more money also). For now, IMHO, it is contemptible. 

Nobody has a patent on use of a material in a blade as far as I know.  Xiom also uses Zylon, and lots of companies have used aramid, kevlar, etc.  I don't have a problem with that.   
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 2:45pm

He's complaining about the drawing/logo on those blades that looks VERY close to the Butterfly blades they are cloning. For example, the "TM" logo on the ALC blade, why is it there? It's XVT Arylate Carbon blade, so it doesn't have anything to do with "T" or "M", does it?
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 3:22pm

What makes you think they are an OEM? Don't forget, the market in China is MASSIVE - a billion+ people

Because that's one of the functions of an OEM - making products for other companies including slapping the other company's name on the product.   OEM's don't necessarily market products under their own name, which is why no one's ever heard of XVT.

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Maybe he will come up with some ideas of his own instead of making cheap knockoffs because this kind of behavior is pretty reprehensible.

Reprehensible to companies like Butterfly/Stiga, but good for consumers.  It's good to have alternative, cheaper options.  That's the competitive market at work.  If Butterfly/Stiga were really concerned, they would/should have trademarked/patented their technology.  Or maybe it's not trademarkable/patentable. 
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 3:28pm

Reprehensible to companies like Butterfly/Stiga, but good for consumers.  It's good to have alternative, cheaper options.  That's the competitive market at work.  If Butterfly/Stiga were really concerned, they would/should have trademarked/patented their technology.  Or maybe it's not trademarkable/patentable. 

I don't think they can patent blade structure. For composite materials, Butterfly/Stiga probably don't have patents anyways. The logos should be trademarked, though..
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Oh hell no mate.

Krantz, you are 100% right, but you have to use the term 'free market' instead of 'capitalism'. Nobody here has the economics understanding to agree with you. They just know from Obama himself that capitalism is 'something bad', and there is no arguing with that.

Edited by assiduous - 07/14/2014 at 4:18pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 6:27pm

Reprehensible to companies like Butterfly/Stiga, but good for consumers.  It's good to have alternative, cheaper options. 

Well, buying a stolen TV is cheaper than buying a new one, but I don't think we should encourage it.
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 3:03am
We all have no problem with the blades but the graphics and prints are totally illegal, but I doubt Butterfly has the long arm to reach them. It's not similar, but totally the same print, same graphic, and same placement.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 10:04am
I would not see we "all" have no problem with the blades.  I personally have a problem with people who steal those designs also (not just the graphics, the blades themselves).

I would however welcome this blademaker coming up with interesting new blades of his own design since it is obvious he has capability of doing it.
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 2:08pm
I think this is a 'player dependent' part of the market.
If you are looking for top of the line performance, then I don't think any of the 'alternative' Chinese brands that make material/design clones can satisfy your fancy.

On the other hand, not all of it is bad, and can be played to a certain standard.
So if you for instance wan't to skimp on a blade a little and stick it into having the option to switch rubber a bit. Then these blades might actually work for you.
Especially if all you are looking for is hard and fast.
I think any manufacturer that manages to stick a sheet of carbon in there and not have a blade that falls apart playing, should be useful enough to enjoy as a back up.

Or it can even be a useful training aid, a blade with an obvious deficit in certain parts can help you bring out other qualities.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic