Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gluing Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing Problems
    Posted: 09/19/2014 at 1:30pm
Last night I had some problems gluing and I'm hoping y'all could give me some help. I'm no expert, but I have glued 20+ sheets of rubber in the past and I've never had any problems. Here's the scenario/equipment:
Blade: Juic Balsa C (I had applied a very light coat of varnish about a week ago)
Rubber: Adidas P7 (new)
Glue: Revolution No. 3 (normal viscosity...seemed very thin)

First attempt: I put one layer of glue on both the blade and the rubber, let it dry, placed the rubber bottom first and used a roller from the bottom to the top. The rubber, which is naturally convex, pulled the glue right off the blade and there were large air pockets. I tried using the roller to flatten and hopefully re-adhere the rubber/glue, but it wouldn't stick to the blade.

Second Attempt: I put 2 layers of glue on the blade and 3 layers of glue on the rubber (which are the directions on the glue for 'professional use'). I let each layer dry completely (it took almost an hour). The result was exactly the same as the first attempt. Very frustrating.

I watched the revolution no.3 videos. It seemed like I was doing everything the same. This was my first time using this glue, which leads me to believe the issue is with the glue itself. Any thoughts on this?
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 1:44pm
It's probably the varnish. You can either get rid of some of the varnish, get rubbers with less dome, or maybe get a press and leave it on for some time before removing it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 1:49pm
(I had applied a very light coat of varnish about a week ago)

my best guess is the varnish, you did everything else right.  you can put some heavy books on top of your setup overnight.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 1:55pm
When I seal a blade I use a 400 to 600 grit sandpaper and lightly roughen up the blades surface and that generally works for me.
Shifter
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 3:42pm
Seems odd, sounds like you have done everything right. Have you checked that the glue isn´t old? If it´s not I would guess the combination between the rubber, glue and blade just isn´t working. That has happened to me in my past and my suggestion is to just try another glue.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 1:48pm
Did the OP check whether the glue was sticky before he applied the rubber?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 2:46pm
I have never had that problem with that glue.  Something that can work about as well as varnish in the future is about three coats of hair spray.  Let dry.  Protects the wood, does not change the playing properties, does not interfere with gluing.
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 1:38pm
*Update* - On Saturday, I gently sanded the surface of the blade with 400 grit sand paper. The rubber glued on with no problems and I pressed it overnight for good measure. I tested it out yesterday and it played perfectly. Thanks for all the helpful comments!
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have never had that problem with that glue.  Something that can work about as well as varnish in the future is about three coats of hair spray.  Let dry.  Protects the wood, does not change the playing properties, does not interfere with gluing.

I've seen this suggested before as well, can we use just any hair spray or something specific???
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:08pm
It works best if it's the old fashioned kind that your grandmother used, with strong holding power, that makes your hair feel like plastic, and which dries almost immediately on contact.  Often comes in an aerosol can.  If it doesn't dry immediately, use a hair dryer.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 3:22pm

It works best if it's the old fashioned kind that your grandmother used, with strong holding power, that makes your hair feel like plastic, and which dries almost immediately on contact.  Often comes in an aerosol can.  If it doesn't dry immediately, use a hair dryer.

Is it safe to use on the handle as well???
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:19pm

Thank you, that was something new!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Is it safe to use on the handle as well???

I've never tried that. 
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 8:02pm
Might be a pandemic of bad glues. 
I recently used Tree Hugger... or rather tried to use it. The glue was very thin (non-viscous) flowing freely on the surfaces, and then when it dried up it behave even worse than the case described by/in the OP. Pure water would have a better gluing effect! It was a disaster. All that was left after the job was wet rubber sheet and wet blade... and some clumps of solidified latex-like substance in between. 
Luckily, both the rubber and the blade dried in a couple hours, I found some old Nittaku FineZip, and that one worked great. 
In summary, stay with good, proven brands, my two preferred are FineZip and Donic Formula First.

Edited by JacekGM - 09/22/2014 at 8:03pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic